Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
It has been over three months since we got BIAB 2014...I sure would like to get a complete 2014 PDF User Guide (and yes, I know I can use the 2013 PDF along with the new features PDF but I am hoping for an updated PDF for the updated software!)

Veteran
Veteran
Well biab14 is perfectly usable, what I can see from the little I have used it so far.

But great things were promised back in December as a work in progress, ability to add/remove icons etc and unless I am mistaken nothing so far in that regard or bugs that were pointed out in other threads on forum.

Ok you may well say we have had a number of updates, but the way I look at it is and its my personal opinion, biab14 should never have been released with the new GUI the way it was.

To be honest looking back it came across to me personally as a bit of a half finished mish mash job.

Just my opinion.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
John,

A manual will eventually be available. This time around, the task of creating one would involve a huge amount of updated graphics to reflect the 2014 release. I'd imagine that that's very labour intensive.

Also ...

Since first buying the program back in 2006, one thing I've come to really appreciate about BIAB is that it is continually a "work in progress". And that's a great thing in my book!

I've also come to appreciate that PG Music are the most honourable company that I have ever dealt with (either in person or over the internet). They are amazing!

My experience is that PG Music have never rested on their laurels. Peter Gannon and his crew have constantly worked on BIAB to take it to where it is today. However anyone looks at it, the program is spectacular. I use it every day to write and record songs and it never ceases to astound me that I can sit here on my computer in Australia, type in some chords, and have some of the best musicians in the world helping me put together some incredibly amazing sounding works.

Personally, I find BIAB 2014 intuitive, and a delight to use. It does everything I need (and truckloads more beside). I disagree with musiclover. BIAB is most definitely not a "half-finished mish mash job" from where I sit. It's awesome!

Just my 2¢ worth of opinion.

Best regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel

I think Musiclover was referring only to the rushed 1-December release, when there probably were known problems with the actuation of the new mixer display etc. I'm only presuming this because of his comment "biab14 should never have been released with the new GUI the way it was."

PG Music were quick with two follow ups (379 and 380) that same month, that fixed these problems and added new features.

I don't think Musiclover generally feels its a mish-mash program, but he'll be able to clarify.

(Also, I think PGM were nervous there would be a lynch mob coming over the hill if they didn't have something ready for Santa, especially as there had been a drought all year.)

Regarding that pdf manual? Yes, I'm still waiting too.

Regards

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Noel,

As Trevor says I am referring only to the initial release of biab14 and how it came across to me. This was my first impressions of biab14.

I also feel that (though others companies may not do so) it would have been very helpful if PG would have taken on board how the new GUI would comes across to people with poor eyesight such as myself. As a lot of older users are over 50 and maybe in same position, some input from us such as a few screenshots might have been helpful.

As I said in first paragraph of my other post I find biab perfectly usable, but hope that in the future (in my opinion) that the initial yearly releases don't require as many fixes.

I always appreciate your posts Noel and learn something from them. Thank you for all the help you have given me in the past.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 03/09/14 10:38 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I also feel that (though others companies may not do so) it would have been very helpful if PG would have taken on board how the new GUI would comes across to people with poor eyesight such as myself. As a lot of older users are over 50 and maybe in same position, some input from us such as a few screenshots might have been helpful.

This should have been addressed better during beta testing. The complication with that is these testers are probably trying (testing) new features and learning where things got moved to, so 'color' probably comes in at a lower level of concern during beta. It is good to have these forums as a second shot at these type of items.

I'd suggest a Wishlist Forum entry.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
We DID cuss and discuss the difficulty in viewing - and seeing - things during the Beta testing.

One of the issues we found out at the time was that people with different computers, different size screens and also the newer Windows Operating Systems seemed to report more screen space and more ability to adjust screen resolutions to where things onscreen in BiaB were larger and easier to see.

We did that by posting screenshots of what each setup looked like. There were quite a few who participated in that, as I recall.

Bottom line is that most of the reports from those using the older systems (XP, Vista) and smaller laptop or monitor screens showed less real estate available when Screen Resolutions were set large enough to really be able to see things, when resetting Screen Resolution higher, BB shows more of the Tool Icons on the smaller screen, but at the expense of everything else, Chord Sheet, Notation, etc. getting even smaller.

Win7 and Win8, on the other hand, coupled with the newer and larger screens and drivers, yields an easier to see Display IMO, having used both an XP and a Win7 laptop during the Beta.

Fast Forward to today, some three months or so of usage on, I now find that I can hook my BB USB drive up to the old XP laptop and find and see everything a LOT easier due to more familiarity with the new GUI and these several months of working with BB on a daily basis.

Display could still be bigger and better, though. Maybe that's something for a future version release, at least I'm hoping. By then XP and/or smaller screen sizes and resolutions is likely to be relegated to the same place where Win95 now resides.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, as Mac said, there were some conversations about color and appearance. One of my children is colorblind, so I'm always on the lookout for issues that might be harder for others with this condition. Also, we noticed that the Windows font size can cause problems in dialog boxes if you go above the Windows default. The number of combinations of settings that PG Music has to accommodate is very large, yet they respond well to our reports during testing, and continue to improve the program throughout the year.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Excellent inputs from everyone! But...my original question still stands...we are three months since release so when will we get a complete 2014 PDF User Guide?

Veteran
Veteran
I hope you're not ignoring the manual in the help menu. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: raymb1
I hope you're not ignoring the manual in the help menu. Later, Ray

Thanks Ray but the PDFs in the Help menu are the same as the ones in the folder, 2013 full and 2014 new features. I guess I don't know if the Help system itself has been updated but I doubt it because if it was they could release the complete 2014 manual.

Veteran
Veteran
It seems to me that BIAB 2013 manual along with the 2014 New Version Features, essentially is a BIAB 2014 manual. None of the basic workings of BIAB are changed and the new features seem to be self-explanatory. Anything else that needs explanation could be answered by some of the experts here on this forum (not me!)! Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Veteran
Veteran
About the original question, if I recall correctly, PG Music did say a full 2014 manual would be forthcoming. I'm sure as in the past they will announce it when ready.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
The BIAB 2014 PDF manual is part of the new 381 build!

Last edited by Ed J.; 03/14/14 06:41 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks!

Good news.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ed J.
The BIAB 2014 PDF manual is part of the new 381 build!

641 pages. Someones been busy!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Just to emphasize the point, now no excuse for not reading the manual, although this does bring to mind the new acronym, TMTR ( too much to read ) grin :

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The next excuse will be that it isn't on paper, Later,

--Mac

N
Apprentice
Apprentice
N
Originally Posted By: Mac
The next excuse will be that it isn't on paper, Later,

--Mac

I would guess that a printed manual will shortly be (or already is) available, now that the PDF manual is here. Back in December, when BIAB2014 was released, I was quoted $10 (over the phone) for a printed manual - once it's available.

Kawai VPC1 MIDI Controller; Asus A53E Laptop running Windows 7 - 64 bit; BIAB 2017 UltraPlusPak (upgraded from 2014 EverythingPak), running from Laptop's Hard Drive.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,665
Posts735,634
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176