You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#246609 - 04/05/14 02:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] ***Moving to External Drive***
ChuckD Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Folks,
I just purchased a 2TB External drive to get most of the songs and junk off of my C: drive. I need to know which parts of the programs (BIAB 2012 and RB)must remain on the C: drive and what I can move to my external. Also, what paths would I have to change for the program to be able to locate my songs. I am a bit of a techno-phobe, so I thank you all for your indulgence. I am also using Sonar,---should I create different folders for each program? Thank you in advance!

Chuck D.

#246611 - 04/05/14 03:11 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ***Moving to External Drive*** [Re: ChuckD]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
You have lots of choices. As for the folders, let each program install into its default folder. SONAR uses many, actually. BIAB uses C:/bb

For BIAB, you could install the entire program to your external drive and run it from there. You would then be able to delete the entire C:/bb folder.

As a partial move, you could move the RealTracks and RealDrums folders to the external drive and then go into Preferences, RealTracks and Preferences, RealDrums and point to the new location. If you do this, leave everything else in C:/bb because there are many .STY, .ST2 and .XT2 files you must still have in the folder where the program runs from. This is the way I have mine installed. However, I do not recommend this solution if you have any hesitation about your ability to manipulate files on your computer.

BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#246612 - 04/05/14 03:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ***Moving to External Drive*** [Re: ChuckD]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
If drive space is an issue, you can just copy the entire bb folder over to the new outrigger drive and then check to see that it runs okay before deleting the c:\bb folder.

The only thing that will be left on the c: drive from the full bb install will be the PG Music Fonts, the PG Music Plugins and any DXi softsynths you may have installed, because those are the only parts that write to the eindows registry and you should leave them on the c: drive because the program needs them there in order to run everything correctly. they take up very little space.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#246613 - 04/05/14 03:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ***Moving to External Drive*** [Re: ChuckD]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: ChuckD
Hi Folks,
I just purchased a 2TB External drive to get most of the songs and junk off of my C: drive. ....I am a bit of a techno-phobe, so I thank you all for your indulgence.

Chuck, if files are a mess on your C:\ drive, then they will soon be a mess on the big external drive. File management is crucial, so get a plan and stick to it, "a place for everything and everything in its place."
SoundCloud

#246634 - 04/05/14 07:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ***Moving to External Drive*** [Re: ChuckD]
Mac Offline
Veteran

"Search"

"Find File"

Asterisks at both ends of a string you recall, like '*mystupidsong*...

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#246688 - 04/06/14 03:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ***Moving to External Drive*** [Re: ChuckD]
David Godfrey Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
I'd be inclined to copy the entire c:\BB folder to your removable drive, and then run the install again. See the "Band-in-a-Box External Hard Drives" section of the BB User guide PDF for more info on this.
As well, consider backing up your own unique data when you're doing this. You can always reinstall BB after a crash, but you'll be sad without your original songs and user styles.
Best of luck,
David

#246712 - 04/06/14 08:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ***Moving to External Drive*** [Re: ChuckD]
Mac Offline
Veteran

I've upgraded BiaB to the latest version every year since '98 by simply running the new version's Installer pointing to c:\bb right overtop of the existing installation.

And in all those years have never lost a single songfile, custom style, or anything else by doing that.

BB will not overwrite nor delete any existing files in the folder.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#246719 - 04/06/14 10:03 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ***Moving to External Drive*** [Re: ChuckD]
ChuckD Offline
Enthusiast

Matt, Mac, Dave---Thank you very much! This group always comes through. Thanks also Jazzmandan,---that is why I am doing this, I'm swearing off my pig-sty ways.....:-)

Chuck

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows is a HIT!

Since the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, we've received some great feedback!

"Oh wow. [The Audio Chord Wizard] has got to be the coolest enhancement to 2018 Band-in-a-Box. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!"
"2018 is a great release in so many ways!"
"Nice work, as usual!!"
"Luvin' it so far!"
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely 'must have'!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Every one of these tracks is phenomenal!"
"You guys just keep blowing us away."
"This is an amazing product. I tip my hat and thank you immensely."
"Awesome job once again!"
"What an unexpected treat!"
"What a fantastic idea PG music! I love to know who specifically thought of this idea. What an unexpected treat!!"
"Video set number three with Oliver Gannon is phenomenal just by itself! I've been asking for additional instruction from him for sometime And here it is! Plus it looks like there's something for everyone. You really out did yourself on this one PG Music - way to go!"
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid this could be!"
"Come on, whats not to like about this"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"I know what I'm getting for Christmas!"
"What a release!!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"it's educational utility and potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me champing at the bit!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"Amazing!"

Upgrade your Band-in-a-Box® to version 2018 during our special for great savings & Bonus PAKs! www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video

Here's a video showing you the different ways you can use the Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks, new with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, now with Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks!

Plus, here are two audio demos, the full versions of two of the songs that appear in this video:

http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_LAZYDAY_full_demo.m4a
http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/DownByTheSalleyGardens_with_VocalOohsAahs.m4a

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Build 506 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest Build 506 at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#506

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 205:
Added: "Export Song as Audio File..." menu item has been added to the Audio menu.
Added: BB2018 tutorials folder.
Added: New styles (STY files) for many of the new RealTracks in Sets 278-300 and MIDI SuperTracks sets 25-27.
Added: StylePicker User Categories updated for Xtra Styles PAK 4.
Updated: Styles database
Updated: Various improvements (including Db offset adjustments) to many of the new STY files and .SGU demos included with RealTracks Sets 278-300.
Fixed: "K3" did not work in the chord sheet for copying 3 bars (8 bars would be copied instead).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box always opens with a maximized window briefly before resizing to the user's saved size.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box will not open using the proper window size if the Mixer window was open while exiting.
Fixed: Deleting a region of chords would cause "Undo Delete Bars" to appear in the Edit menu, but do nothing unless chosen twice.
Fixed: Error "Input and output sample rates must match" might show when the devices do have matching sample rates.
Fixed: Flash messages were not being added to the flash message log.
Fixed: If Band-in-a-Box was in DAW Plugin mode while exiting, the window size was not restored the next time opening the program.
Fixed: Rendering .m4a or video files might fail and request that the user install QuickTime if using Windows 7. QuickTime should only be necessary for Windows Vista or XP.
Fixed: Some of the Oohs and Aahs (Vocal) RealTracks were not working correctly, and they have been greatly improved.
Fixed: Sometimes when deleting a note in the notation window, you will be asked "OK to delete chord".
Fixed: The "Show Flash Tips" setting did not have any effect when disabled.
Fixed: WashboardBluegrass drums.
Fixed: When exiting DAW Plugin mode, the window would not return to its previous size (it would become maximized).

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Forum Stats
26734 Members
50 Forums
49009 Topics
400514 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
TimmyA, Adam Fressbender, Smashplex, PasUser, zeuxis

26737 Registered Users