You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#251510 - 05/28/14 10:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Pat -

I am quite pleased that you came by for a listen and a comment... for 2 reasons... you are always so perceptive... and you are "to blame" for this...

I was working on the 1st version of this when you started the "songwriting" discussion - which led to discussions about "the current trends" in Country music.

I never really finished that first version (never intended to post it).
I was never satisfied with the sound of the acoustic guitars in it...
As the "current sound" discussion progressed, I decided to switch gears... How would this be done by "the producer" as opposed to how would this be done as a "songwriter's demo". Since almost everything gets that "big" thing applied these days, I went down that path...

And that often happens. If you happen to hear the writer do their version at the Bluebird, it is often a very different song than what ended up on the radio...

And... in fact, I wrote this in "one of those moments" that you describe...

"...the kind of introspective thoughts that one normally ponders when things are quiet.. maybe late in the day when a little tired mournfulness creeps into the thought processes."

It started looking back on something very specific that I "would have done different if I could do it all again". And it had that "pensive, mournful" attitude to it. I turned it into a "lost love" song, because, in the end, everything has to be about love....

So... Thanks! for all of that!... I enjoyed the journey (and I may just try out the idea of writing a new lyric to the bigger production...)

floyd

#251678 - 05/28/14 06:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hey Floyd.

After all that's been said, do you really need me to wade in at the end? Well, you got it anyway!

Generally great, as usual. Listened to both versions and definitely came down on the side of those who preferred the full backing. Everything about the production and performance is polished and professional, as are all your tracks these days and the lyrics are excellent.

So why only "generally" great? One or two people picked up on the solo - Gregg and Herb I think - and that's the only aspect which I thought was suspect. For me, it wasn't so much the reverb, or the guitar sound, as the phrasing. Whilst I've become a great fan of RTs recently, I think one has to be very careful that solos, particularly guitar, don't have phrasing which sounds unnatural for the instrument. In this case I found it hard to imagine anyone playing that solo. It still had the feel of several solos spliced together to fit the chords and some of the transitions appeared a bit uneasy.

It's rare for me to find anything to criticise in your tracks, so I hope you'll forgive me this time!

Still waiting for the Rock Ballad!

ROG.

#251682 - 05/28/14 06:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Floyd,

I think that's considerably better... maybe a little delay (250-300ms) would help as well.

My summer yard-work business is in full swing, so that cuts my songwriting and my BIAB time way back. frown However...I'll be back in full force come Fall/Winter time. grin

I'll be checking in periodically just to see what ya all been doing. wink

Take Care,

Greg

#251737 - 05/29/14 12:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Rog said: Whilst I've become a great fan of RTs recently, I think one has to be very careful that solos, particularly guitar, don't have phrasing which sounds unnatural for the instrument. In this case I found it hard to imagine anyone playing that solo. It still had the feel of several solos spliced together to fit the chords and some of the transitions appeared a bit uneasy.

well, since you weighed in with exactly the opposite opinion as I did, a slight rebuttal seems in order.

I agree that the guitar passage Floyd assembled is not "standard fare"... but that's exactly what I like about it. I've been listening to a couple of bands whose guitar players somehow manage to avoid the standard guitar cliches and play something that fits, yet is different... and it is in that context that I said it sounded like something a guitar player would play... maybe not MOST guitar players.. but I can easily imagine a real guitar player playing that passage.

#251742 - 05/29/14 12:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

I hope you already know how much I enjoy all of your songs.. you have it all, everything I could ever aspire to is already firmly in your possession and polished beyond anything I could ever hope to achieve.

But even more than the music itself, I love to hear your thoughts behind the choices you make with each new song.

I can't wait to hear whatever lyrics you appropriate to the upbeat song... I have a feeling that I'll need a chin pad to keep it from getting bruised when it hits the floor

#251754 - 05/29/14 03:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hey Pat.

It was only an opinion, an alternative view if you wish and was in no way intended as a challenge to your own opinion. It would be a dull world if we all shared the same one. No offence intended.

ROG.

#251808 - 05/29/14 12:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: ROG]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hey Pat.

It was only an opinion, an alternative view if you wish and was in no way intended as a challenge to your own opinion. It would be a dull world if we all shared the same one. No offence intended.

ROG.

no offense taken! wink

Rog, you are one of my favorite people on the forum... I didn't take your observations as anything but a differing point of view.. and certainly not as a challenge... BUT...

when I see a diametrically opposing point of view from somebody whose opinion I respect and whose opinions usually line up with mine, it does cause me to step back and reconsider my reasoning.

My followup post was probably just an exercise in insecurity on my part. If that's the dumbest thing I do today, then life is good! Thanks for all the goodwill and musical wisdom you bring to this forum! Please never change!

(sorry for hijacking your thread Floyd... now we resume with the regularly scheduled programming...)

#251839 - 05/29/14 02:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Greg - thanks for the 2nd look - and the delay setting - it's not something that I am familiar with (an acoustic guy...) so that gives me a place to start...

ROG and Pat - I am enjoying this discussion, too (ROG - no need to ever apologize for a critique - I welcome them - and I will let you know if I disagree... and hopefully you can handle that - seems there are those who can't!!!)

There was no obvious choice for the lead part to this - and so, it was a case of "building one" - also adding some Guitar Rig to what BIAB gave me, trying to get it to sit in there... often, what happens in these cases is ... at first I'm not sure if it works - and I keep tweaking and tweaking and... eventually, I think I become accustom to hearing it and it seems "okay"... it becomes familiar through multiple listens... so I guess it could always be debated if "that guy played the right thing"... you know, one of those endless college dorm room debates...or barroom debates...

It could be labeled "innovation" smile

I will continue to try to smooth it out....

Thanks, guys!

#251880 - 05/29/14 07:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Things we like:

- Stellar lead vocal
- Harmony vocals
- arrangement (BOTH of them!)
- Lyric - particularly what the chorus says
- RT choice
- The "it can all be heard and sits perfectly" mix

Things we would change:
J&B Website

#252244 - 06/01/14 08:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Ok, A LOT of great advice has already been given. I just have a few simple comments.

I really like this song all the way around! It's simple, which I think helps you to relate right away. From writing to lyrics, you just "get it". Don't confuse my use of "simple" as meaning not well crafted. To me, simple is often the hardest thing to do! (I think I may use that as a lyric...thanks for the inspiration!)

Now the part I am the MOST impressed with is, there is a timeless quality about this song. That you can strip it down or add to it shows the base of it is right. I could see this recorded as either classic country, or fit just as well with a current artist. Again this speaks to a well craft simple song!

Thank you so much for sharing this! It's was really great to hear!

#252284 - 06/01/14 07:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi Floyd jane excellent job well done mixed is fantastic vocal all spot on thanks eric

#252524 - 06/03/14 10:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Wire [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

J&B - thanks, guys! I like your lists!

HearToLearn - appreciate that. Let us hear that song when you finish!

eric - thanks for stopping by....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

PG Music News
RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 3 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can update their version with the latest patch, Build 3. Download this patch here

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 3:

Added: Section Numbers supported. All section letter menus now include numbers 1 through 9 in addition to letters A through Z.
Fixed: Section letters in Notation Window were not being resized if the notation was zoomed in/out
Fixed: RealBand might freeze when generating audio harmonies
Fixed: Loading in a BB song (MGU/SGU) or generating realtracks could freeze up the program.
Fixed: Chords in Notation/LeadSheet on 1st beat of a bar were being drawn too close to bar lines.
Fixed: Support for XP and Vista.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_3

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 505 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can update their version with the latest patch - Build 505.

This patch can be downloaded here.

Summary of changes for Build 505:

Added: You can now put Section Numbers in your song. Previously you could only use letters A-Z, but now you can use 1-9 as well.
Added:You can now filter styles in the StylePicker for styles that contain Video RealTracks.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error "Procedure entry point MFTEnumEx could not be found in the Dynamic Link Library Mfplat.DLL" while starting up if using Windows Vista.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error message "dwmapi.dll cannot be found" while starting up if using Windows XP.
Fixed: The Transcribe feature in the Audio Edit window was not always working.
Fixed: The Windows Audio Devices dialog might show garbage text for names of devices if not running Band-in-a-Box in English.
Fixed: There was no Quality selector in the Render to Audio File dialog if rendering MP3 on Windows 7 or earlier.
Fixed: There were visual artifacts in the leadsheet & notation windows when moving the cursor.
Fixed: Using the Transpose or stretching features in the Audio Edit window might cause an access violation if the audio track is mono.
Improved: Band-in-a-Box will start up faster.
Improved: Importing ABC Notation files has been improved.
Updated: Help file and manuals.
Updated: RealTracks Artist bio's.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#505

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows... Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.
TIP: If you load one of the video RealTracks bands, you will have video RealTracks on 5 tracks, and you can make a video of 1-5 musicians!

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows packages during our December special.
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Holiday Special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: Video link - "Video RealTracks Sets 1-6 for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows"

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)! Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qDFYZMjrzAI

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade, on sale until December 31st!

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 4 - Available for both Windows and Mac!

We've just released Xtra Styles PAK 4 with over 150 new RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles! These new RealStyles will work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition.

To add to the excitement of this release, we're putting all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned with Band-in-a-Box® 2018, and is now built in to the program! Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app that was not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but now the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit Window!

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 2 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can download a small (free) patch update for their purchase!

Summary of patch update:
Access violation if clicking on Guitar Window or Big Piano when there isn't any notation window currently open.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_2

Forum Stats
26696 Members
50 Forums
48817 Topics
398957 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Phil Taylor, Poppins, Mannnolo, sebz77, KGU 2

26697 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 369