Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Thank you, I have been there, I remember now after visiting this thread through your link. There are some very good expressed requests included in pictures and words.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
So far everybody in this thread is talking about an idea with hints to other software. But most everything I have read here is wishful thinking in the sense of "if it was better". Please don't think that I see the GUIs of BIAB and RealBand as the absolute optimum. I already have said that I wish that those two and all other PGMusic programs should have the same look and feel. I don't think that the Adobe suite has the best of all GUIs available, but the GUIs are very similar; they have the same look and feel despite their totally different functionalities. What I read is: "It should be better." That is o.k. but not quantizeable.

So I read this interesting thread with one thought in mind: "Where's the beef?"

What would you think a great GUI for BIAB should look like?
Could you provide a sample GUI?

Maybe others of the great minds in this forum then have constructive ideas to hint PGMusic to develop the greater than Great GUI.Guido

GHInch did you see my post on "reimagining the song panel" I went into quite a few specifics, regarding how to enhance it with hover over technology whilst keeping essentially the same.

There is quite a bit that could be done to make this screen educational. Via the use of hover over, hover off/disappear corners (think like folding over tiny corners of a page), one could show educational information about a chord or sequence of chords. For example offering chord substitutes, or providing information about chord voicings, what notes are in the 'mode scale' and what are not.

Other programmes (sequencers and biab is a sequencer in many senses) have incorporated melodyne-esque tech which allows the analysis of melodic audio files into MIDI - with editing options. I hope here, but often feel 'never' which is sad.

Thinking about songs, we don't have any live vocals in BIAB yet, Obviously there would be issues. Probably it would be better to work in four bars rather than single bars, maybe a whole song. I am thinking about Jazz standards perhaps. Just brainstorming. Would be great for learning how to accompany. I can see no reason why in certain circumstances, that is with particular (possibly solo, possibly vocal) files, that BIAB could not insist that the "Lego Brick" inserted is kept within a range of keys or number of bars. This way it would be possible to have real soloists and real vocals.

East West have a business model where the Player is free and universal, and the packages are paid for individually, its a common practice.

I want to say again that there are many things to admire in BIAB too.

More on the GUI: I like as little visual clutter as possible, plus context sensitive relevance. Ideally I should like to have dockable windows *(dual screen capable), for things like the MID and the MIxer and even the Notation.

I notice with the present GUI (2015) we have names of instruments, but my electric piano sound (HEPNO85.STY says piano not electric piano. At present the sax is called a guitar again (after I changed it to a guitar and then back).

It would be good to have tooltip/hover over info about the (correct) instrument names including in some cases the pitch and maybe even type of guitar/cab etc..

The 'sequencer' window thing I find very odd.

If you look through the drop down menus a lot of it is very antiquated. I am not saying the options should not be available, but Do we all need to have "Reset Roland GS" as the first item on the GM menu? Should there be an option called "Run Windows Control Panel?" As part of a general sort out, perhaps a lot of this info can be confined to a MIDI pop out type menu similar to the piano roll, but so as we could see both MIDI and Notation or chords as we choose.

There is much to like about the new mixer, its simplicity but when you are not using it, its simply taking vcisual space whereas it would be better to use this space for the current purpose - therefore it should be a pop up.

I notice that the only time the Mixer 'piano' window (which can actually be any instrument - better 'piano roll') that you can see the notes being played is when the song is in motion. It would be much more informative if you could see the voicing of the given chords when the song is stationary, so - you could hover over a particular chord and immediately see how its being voiced.

Right click customisable menus (with a 'show all' option) would be good too for saving real estate. Show hide for menu bars, on right click.

Some of the once MIDI only option suych as 'play chord' should only be offered on a MIDI track or be able to play a wav. Otherwise its confusing when you hear nothing.

The idea of having esoteric meanings like green for real track and underline for something else, is OK -ish, but better to make it clear to the ininitiated.

Piano role window could be enhanced in many ways - see the major sequencers.

You asked for specifics..

smile

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 12/09/14 07:42 AM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Using Ctrl+T isn't bad for having the chord area full screen, can still add realtracks and realdrums by right click on menu.

But as you say Zero would be good to be able to customise menu again as we had in biab 2013

Musiclover

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
add remove icons.jpg (279.61 KB, 145 downloads)
full screen.jpg (202.63 KB, 127 downloads)
Last edited by musiclover; 12/09/14 02:05 PM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
ZeroZero,

yes I asked for specifics. I didn't ask for me. I asked for the poor developers at PGMusic. I always try to walk in the other's mocassins. In this case in the mocassins of the developer and in the mocassins of those who want a better GUI. I do understand both parties, I have been in the consultant business a long time.

The main reason that triggered me to ask was a rather boring thread to read:
"I want a better GUI."
"Yes, the GUI could really be improved."
"PGMusic needs to hire better personnel."
"I agree, they have a good program, but it doesn't appeal to those who rate a book by the cover."

There is a lot of beef in that burger now.
Have a super day.
Guido

Last edited by GHinCH; 12/09/14 01:30 PM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
"I agree, they have a good program, but it doesn't appeal to those who rate a book by the cover."

Again with the fallacy that GUI is only cosmetic! It is about functionality and efficiency!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Guido understood, just thought I would post my specifics again.

I hope others will do also

Z

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L
Simply put, the program is a mess. It's incredibly good at what it does and can do, unfortunately doing anything is usually a chore. It is the most non-intuitive, uninspiring difficult piece of software I have ever come across.

I'm not here to slag it off, I genuinly would love to see the clutter sorted out. I would love to do more with it but frankly can rarely be bothered. Any time I want to try out something new or experiment with something which I think is 'probably' possible, by the time I've trawled through countless videos and help files I'm generally none the wiser and my enthusiasm / inspiration has gone and been forgotten.
This is the only software I have ever used where I even have to resort to help files, the bulk of most other brands of software can usually be figured out quickly and easily with a little bit of playing around.

This IMO is this real problem with the software and I guess what most others are talking about with the GUI.

I don't care that it looks like an old 3.1 interface, I don't care that it's not shiney and animated, I just care about the unnecessary mess. This is nothing that needs a major rewrite, just a company that listens to it's customers and asks them for specifics that need addressing. Most of it could be implemented in a simple update.

There are menus all over the place, everything is vague and utterly non-descript. I need quicker, easier access to regularly used functions with a basic right click or toolbar button, not nested so deep in dialogue boxes and sub menus that I never remember how to get back to them.

There are way too many places to get to a function. The same menus pop up time and again in different parts of the program. It's all unnecessary. get rid of the clutter and start again.
2015 has actually gone backwards in this regard. For example, I click the soloist button only to be given a choice that I can get from many other areas. It's pointless. The whole point of a toolbar button is to take you immediately to another function, not further nesting. Everything I do, everything I click, I wonder what the hell is going on.

If PG want to listen then I'd give specifics, as I'm sure would most everyone else. Not asking for new functionality or features, just clean up the mess that has been accumalating since the first version. There are a lot of functions that could and should be improved / implemented much better but begin with a clean up.

That's my 2 cents worth smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB for me does exactly what it's supposed to do. It provides me with quality accompaniment when I play solo piano gigs. I've been using BIAB since the floppy disc days. The accompaniment has just gotten better and better. PG Music can change whatever they want about the GUI as long as the functions don't change. My 2 cents worth. Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
BIAB has always been my favourite piece of music software. I've learnt A LOT as a musician during these last years with it, I've always recommended it to my fellow musicians, and I've always said that buying BIAB is one of the the best investments any musician can do in his musical life.

I've always been (and still am) a fan.

Having said that, I think that the "50 new features each year" growth model (adding more and more features without caring too much for internal consistence with old ones) has put BIAB in a complicated situation: the program is more and more complex each year (specially for beginners), really buggy (some of the bugs have been there for years), and the GUI has gone, IMO, just out of control.

So, as a customer, I have a kind of love-hate relationship with the software: I love how it works when I use the very basic functions (writing some chords, choosing a style and pressing play, for example), but I often get frustrated / demotivated when I'm trying to use more advanced functions, just to discover that they just don't work as they should (or don't work at all), or when I feel creative / musically inspired and can't do what I have in mind, simply because the feature I need is hidden in a labyrinth of buttons, menus and cryptic terminology.

IMHO, we really don't need 50 new features for 2016, but a serious revision of what we already have, and a complete redesign of the GUI from a fresh perspective.

In any case, I also really want PG Music to succeed smile

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Cerio, I agree 100%

I would go further and say that the main reason for the "50 new features every year" is that PG has placed far too much importance on responding to users pet peeves and personal prejudices. It is a case of "too much democracy". It's all very well to listen to user's suggestions but it is just as important to use professional technical and commercial judgment. It is ironic that the users who keep on asking for more and more trivial tweeks could be the same users who complain that the GUI is too complicated.

Come on PG, there won't be a revolution if you tried ignoring most of the wishlist for a while

Tony

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Tony Wright
Cerio, I agree 100%

I would go further and say that the main reason for the "50 new features every year" is that PG has placed far too much importance on responding to users pet peeves and personal prejudices. It is a case of "too much democracy". It's all very well to listen to user's suggestions but it is just as important to use professional technical and commercial judgment. It is ironic that the users who keep on asking for more and more trivial tweeks could be the same users who complain that the GUI is too complicated.

Come on PG, there won't be a revolution if you tried ignoring most of the wishlist for a while

Tony

Sorry Tony, but I wouldn't characterise things in this way 'pet peeves' - one man's pet peeve is another's most important improvement.

"Come on PG, /....ignore most of the wish list "

Including your post? Or just everyone else?

I do see the need for a top class gui designer to be brought in to evaluate where we are and where we are going though...

Z

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I think those of us who are happy with BIAB the way it is should chime in. Whether PG changes the GUI or not, I just want to be able to do what I do now as easily as I do now. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Two thoughts ...

Why do you believe the young are not using BiaB? I don't think census statistics of active forum participants would not accurately reflect the statistics of all BiaB users. For example, many educators use BiaB as a learning tool thus exposing students of all ages to BiaB.

The reasons I think the young are not using BiaB are: BiaB is not viable on their preferred platforms, smartphone & tablet. BiaB does not have enough content in current genres. Most of all, initial start up cost.

Last edited by JimFogle; 12/11/14 01:22 PM. Reason: added left out word

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
For example, many educators use BiaB as a learning tool thus exposing students of all ages to BiaB.

Totally where I was first introduced to it 20 years ago, college music theory class.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,550
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 167