Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#273378 12/08/14 01:38 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I know there are lots of performing musicians here who have watched the bottom drop out of the live music scene over the years. Have you considered starting a tribute band?

TRIBUTE BANDS

ANOTHER ARTICLE

CLICK HERE... for an article that actually shows what a lot of professional AND tribute bands earn. Some trib ute bands earn more than some bands that are getting radio play!

Pat Marr #273387 12/08/14 02:14 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm scheduled to see one in a couple weeks. Should be interesting ..

It does seem like a niche if you're willing to go that route.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Pat Marr #273392 12/08/14 02:47 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not gonna happen. "Tribute" is just another word for "copy". I don't care how much they make, how many people follow them, who they are copying.... I view these bands in the same light as I view prostitution. I have been out to see exactly one tribute band in my life and that was a favor to someone who asked me to critique them. I was never so bored in my life. And she hasn't spoken to me since I gave her my honest opinion. You can probably deduce what that opinion was.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER:

This is just MY OPINION so all of you who make your living playing copy music please do not jump on me. I don't need to make money playing music like you do so my perspective is much different. I won't get into the pontificating about writing your own music because I have done that here before to extremely hostile reviews. Everybody who has known me here knows it's writing that gets my motor running, not copying.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #273426 12/08/14 05:24 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've seen quite a few tribute bands/artists lately. The best was probably the Bootleg Beatles, followed by a Four Seasons tribute act. The Abba clones are always amusing. and I recently saw "Sun Studio Superstars", a tribute to Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee & Carl Perkins, with Roy Orbison thrown in for good measure.
Obviously I'll never get the chance to see the real thing, but I always enjoy the copycats.

Cheers,
Keith
Pat Marr #273453 12/08/14 08:48 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I was in a Four Seasons Tribute band for a few years and played the Holiday Camp circuit in the UK with other tributes. The thing I found strange is that most, except a Beatle tribute whose name I forget, only played a handful of their acts songs. We played some Bee Gee, Pink Floyd(?) and Beach Boy songs as well.
The punters like it tho'

+10 to what Eddie 1261 says!

Alyn

Pat Marr #273475 12/09/14 02:47 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
many years ago, there was a band which traveled the east coast and perhaps other areas as well playing the larger better club circuit.

I don't recall the name of the band. They always played to packed houses when they came to Jacksonville. SRO, line out the door, and the fire marshal always made a point of checking the club when they were in town.

Anyway, they did a really good series of cover tune/dance music sets..... BUT.... the coup de gras was their last set. This is what everyone came to see. It was a show set. No dancing.....as they roped off the dance floor in front of the stage.

They had several shows since many clubs back then were open, with bands, 6 nights of the week. The shows included KISS, Alice Cooper, and some other acts of the day. Those were the 2 I saw. In the shows, they did the fire eating that KISS did, and they "hung ALICE" at the end and put him in a coffin as the road crew carried the coffin off the floor.

There were 2 other "show bands", both of which, incorporated interesting things in their normal dance music sets throughout the evening. Neither of those did the tribute band thing like that first band I mentioned.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Pat Marr #273477 12/09/14 02:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
“...all of you who make your living playing copy music please do not jump on me.”

I won't jump on you if you desist in calling me a prostitute. grin

Interesting articles, Pat. Some people forget that it's called "Show Business", not "Ego Gratification Business". laugh

People are flocking to tribute shows and having fun, musicians are making money - where's the harm?

I believe that all cover bands are tribute acts in a way - they just cover a variety of artists instead of just one. As for "artistic" value, it's relatively easy to play original music. It's quite difficult to cover 100 different artists and do it well.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #273482 12/09/14 03:14 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

I believe that all cover bands are tribute acts in a way

True in a way. I want to play in a tribute to ME.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #273483 12/09/14 03:22 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I believe that all cover bands are tribute acts in a way

True in a way. I want to play in a tribute to ME.

Let me know how that works out for ya. grin

eddie1261 #273495 12/09/14 04:11 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I do agree a lot and yet have to disagree a little.

There is tribute vs. tribute. I never even have the chance to see Buddy Holly or Elvis or [put in the name of your favorite deceased stage person]. I enjoy a tribute show every once in a while and I can detect if there are robots or musicians on stage. Many are robots.

There is cover vs. cover. There are and were many out there that are musicians according to your definition, Eddie. And yet most of them did cover other musicians songs. Not too few covers are better than the original even though these are still and will remain the minority.

Many bands are booked because they do a good job playing covers of the great hits of today and yesterday and yesteryear. The songs, the crowd wants to hear. Yes, a DJ could play the originally published recording after the engineer has done his/her work, but: it is much more fun to dance to a live band. (And very often my critique is: The more I drink, the better they play.) But still, it is more fun to dance to them than to spun records; at least if the singer knows the words to the song.

Guido

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
90 dB #273538 12/09/14 07:47 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
“...all of you who make your living playing copy music please do not jump on me.”

I won't jump on you if you desist in calling me a prostitute. grin

that's a fair reply! Unless respect flows in both directions it always ends up leaving someone feeling offended.

Quote:
Interesting articles, Pat. Some people forget that it's called "Show Business", not "Ego Gratification Business". laugh

People are flocking to tribute shows and having fun, musicians are making money - where's the harm?

there are many different ways to look at the business of performing music. We've had that discussion plenty of times. But I thought it was a good topic from the perspective of some of us. My main takeaway was the fact that making a small change in presentation can make a BIG change in income! Whereas audiences might not be impressed by a local band who plays Eagles songs, they respond differently when the same band plays the same songs while adding the element of role playing the original artists. Its as though the audience accepts the tribute band as the closest thing to hearing the real band (who may be dead or no longer touring)

There are actually tribute franchises! PETTY THEFT is a franchise that has bands in many metro areas. (I assume its a franchise... otherwise I think the same name would have introduced legal challenges long ago)

Quote:
I believe that all cover bands are tribute acts in a way - they just cover a variety of artists instead of just one. As for "artistic" value, it's relatively easy to play original music. It's quite difficult to cover 100 different artists and do it well.

Regards,

Bob

I have always thought the same thing Bob! Anybody who can play and sing like a bunch of different megastars has some serious talent!

Pat Marr #273539 12/09/14 07:49 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
and none of that negates the points Eddie makes. There are just two different musical goals here, and each one requires a different path and has different rewards.

My counterpoint to the discussion is that I (me personally, regardless of other people's opportunities and talents) see no point in writing original songs. To me it's the functional equivalent of building sand castles at low tide. At the end of the day, I have nothing that I know how to market. With literally millions of people posting original songs online, and nobody willing to pay for music anymore... it makes more sense to me to spend my time crafting backing tracks that can be used for live performances. I know that I can make money that way.

Its possible to make money the other way too.. but I already know how to market a cover act. I'm too old to start learning how to go the other route.

Pat Marr #273550 12/09/14 09:18 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
My counterpoint to the discussion is that I see no point in writing original songs. To me it's the functional equivalent of building sand castles at low tide.

Pat, have you ever sat around a table at a restaurant or a bar and told stories? Or met with your closest friends and shared a sad breakup, or a happy victory?

That's what songs are. Songs are stories set to music. Every song I have ever written tells a story of some event in my life. I really don't care about what sells. I have enough money. I want to make enough on this CD that is in progress to break even. The joy of songwriting is to share your story with people, just like when you sat around that table. I would rather tell MY stories than those of some other songwriter. I can't tell "Bob's" story with the proper amount of emotion. I can tell MY story that way though.

If I see ONE MORE hack girl singer over emoting on "At Last".....

Tell me YOUR story and you will have my interest.

I will never say or even infer that it does not take talent to play covers. I know better. I have played covers too like everybody else. What I DO say is this. I believe that if you sat a chimp at a piano in a locked room, and played Chopsticks over and over and over and over ad infinitum, eventually that chimp would learn to play Chopsticks.(Or as that song is called in China, Silverware). It's all repetition. My point is that it takes a different, deeper talent to be able to write your own stuff. You have to be more musically and lyrically literate to create than to mimic. As we all can say, I know some outstanding players who play in copy bands.

Once again I make the disclaimer, FOR MY TASTE, IN MY OPINION, WHAT I PREFER, NOT TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO..... I prefer to go to songwriter nights and hear what people are composing, not someone regaling me with his best impersonation of someone else. I went to one about 10 weeks ago on invitation of the guy running it. He told me it was a songwriter night. It was an open mic night. I stayed for 8 of the 15 minute acts. 6 of them did Turn The Page (Yes, SIX!), with one acoustic guitar, no sax (You can't do that song without the sax), and only one of the 6 could sing AT ALL. The other 2 acts played 3 original songs. Guess which ones got my applause?

Everybody is free to do what they choose to do. I am free to see who I choose to see. That works out well.

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/09/14 09:21 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Pat Marr #273559 12/09/14 09:51 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
eddie,

in spite of how I'm probably coming across... I do see that point, and I agree with it. Intrinsically I see GREAT value in anything created and shared. Everything you've said resonates with me. I even LIKE doing that sort of creative self-revelation.

The path splits for some of us at the intersection of Money St. and Creativity Ave.

If I could have it all, I would want to be that artist who makes a lot of money writing and performing his own music. It does work out that way for some people. But I'm not that guy.

I'm too lazy to make the sacrifices and too introverted to run that people gauntlet... so that leaves me with the alternate choice writing my own music for my own satisfaction... and maybe if I'm lucky, for the enjoyment of a few close friends who are willing to listen... or to supplement my retirement income with cover music and have some fun in the process.

Which is better, chocolate or vanilla? Everybody gets to decide on topics of taste. I see value in both directions, but for myself I only see attainability in one of them. I don't look down on people who see it differently. In fact I respect their ability to go where I cannot.

Big world. Lots of paths. Not enough time to take them all. Pick one and walk wholeheartedly. <--me

Pat Marr #273573 12/09/14 10:34 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

In fact I respect their ability to go where I cannot.

Cannot?

I am sorry but I am not familiar with that word.

Cannot?

You CAN do anything you want if you want to do it bad enough.

Here are three of my favorite sayings. I read these every day.

Extraordinary people are ordinary people with an extraordinary amount of determination.

You can either throw in the towel or use it to wipe the sweat from your face.

Motivation gets things started. Dedication gets things finished.

You CAN. Never say you cannot.

PS I bet I am lazier than you are! LOL!!!

2. Send it to us.
Pat Marr #273574 12/09/14 10:43 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

The path splits for some of us at the intersection of Money St. and Creativity Ave.

Yes it does and I took Money St.! I played in a wedding band for years. We played covers from country to jazz standards to 50s and 60s rock, not to mention some ethnic music that we had to learn.

But interesting enough when I retired from playing weekend warrior gigs and started to really use BiaB Money St. turned into Creativity Ave.! I could care less what people think about my music (but I do hope some like it) and I know I'm not going to make any money at it but after playing what everyone else wants for years I am going to play what I want. Period!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Pat Marr #273576 12/09/14 10:50 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I should probably have qualified the word a little better. I meant it in the relative sense, not the absolute sense.
In other words, there are many things we COULD do.. I could have been a rocket scientist; but because of other choices, from where I am today, I cannot perform the job of a rocket scientist.

I agree with your rebuttal though.

Pat Marr #273583 12/09/14 11:22 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have a love for both, creativity, and tributation. Hey is that a new word? Hmmm. Anyway. I love doing covers, and lots of people love hearing them. I find that the line to hear original music performed by no named artist is small and hard to find. I have been to shows at clubs or dinner places, and watched a small group, single artist play covers, and the crowd listened, but then they toss out an original to the crowd, and no one seems to care a bit.

I also do an original tune on occasions, at home to whet creativity, or for someone special. I enjoy it, but must say that i find most of my writing kinda wordy, and not super clever.

I guess i am a music lover, and love original works, open mikes, singer song writers, tributes, covers and the like. Music done well is great. In the defense of cover artist, i believe that people go out to hear memories of time past, and old songs from favored artist of our youth, or times we look back on fondly, these touch our hearts in special ways.

I have seen the joy in people eyes when you start a song that "takes them back". One that reminds them of something very special in their lives. I have also seen the joy in the eyes of folks when you sing a song especially for them. I remember a song i did for my parents, one i shared here for y'all. When my father heard that i saw tears in his eyes, and that meant more than i could explain. He is gone now, and i can't bring myself to perform that tune anymore, but it is still special to me.

In conclusion, i think both sides have a very special place in our lives, and neither should be diminished.

Last edited by Robh; 12/09/14 11:24 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Pat Marr #273588 12/09/14 11:33 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
As most of you know (well maybe you do), I only do originals. But I have nothing against covers -- I do not perform out and I couldn't perform covers as well as the originals anyway.

Having said all that, Linda Ronstadt was a cover artist, Van Morison did a lot of covers, the stones and beatles did covers; most classical musicians do "covers", most jazz musicians do covers (standards), and the list goes on and on...

If you want to make side money being in a commercial band, you have to probably play a lot of cover tunes -- it is just the way it is.

You know, it has been almost a year since I have done a street jelly thing. I need to get a set together again!

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Rob Helms #273594 12/09/14 11:49 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robh
I believe that people go out to hear memories of time past, and old songs from favored artist of our youth, or times we look back on fondly, these touch our hearts in special ways.

I have seen the joy in people eyes when you start a song that "takes them back". One that reminds them of something very special in their lives.

Well said Rob! All of it, even the stuff I snipped. I kept a partial quote because I want to expand on it.

I probably told this story before, but my son plays bass. He was sitting in with a pretty good jazz group, and the club was almost completely populated by baby boomers. They were very appreciative of the jazz, but nobody danced. We had heard this was a "listening room" club, and that seemed to be the case. But at some point in the evening the band played an old Motown cover and people POURED out onto the dance floor! The entire mood of the club changed!

That night turned on a light in my mind. It was exactly as you say above, Rob... the audience responds with applause and money if you make it about THEM and their memories. They'll show up and nod approvingly if you can play impressive jazz songs or originals... but turn into a time machine that takes them back to age 18, and you instantly make a room full of friends!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,663
Posts735,559
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 163