You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#72286 - 05/08/10 08:59 AM MIDI files from internet
basementb_2000 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I have been downloading MIDI music files from the the internet that others have created to a flash drive. I then use that flash drive within BIAB (open MIDI) to play along (with my guitar) on my YAMAHA keyboard. I also do some home-recording and this MIDI file then drives the process (I have a KORG digital recorder and a Quintet voice harmonizer). I am finding that the MIDI files from the flash drive apparently contain a lot of MIDI instructions that I may not want...ie: (1) instruments that apparently my Yamaha keyboard does not have which cause very strange inappropriate sounds (2) MIDI instructions that tell the Quintet voice synthesizer to do things that I don't want it to do. My question, I guess, is there a good MIDI editor within BIAB to remove certain MIDI instructions that I don't want? I have noticed that all MIDI data opened from a file apparently is received by BIAB as MELODY (even tho the actual MIDI instructions have the channel that they're intended for). I have tried saving the MIDI file as a new BIAB song with a BIAB style with "iffy" results. Has anyone else tried to do this sort of thing? I do like to use these external MIDI songs because many of the songs are done much better than I could ever do them and there's a ton of things other people have done out on the internet. I'll keep plugging away at this, but if anyone has ideas that could get me going in the right direction, it would be appreciated. Hopefully I've stated my problem somewhat accurately. Thanks.

#72287 - 05/08/10 10:14 AM Re: MIDI files from internet [Re: basementb_2000]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
For your application you may want to try Realband instead. It comes with BiaB if you have a recent version.

It has a very nice editor, abd can remove all the extra data in one shot if you want.

It is called Event Editor and there is a checkbox for 'use data filter' which will allow you to only remove the items you want from any track.

Also the tracks will open a regular tracks without any 'Melody' association and such.
Just an idea..
Also this should be posted in Off-Topic for best response, as this section is for giving tips learned along the way.

#72288 - 05/08/10 09:12 PM Re: MIDI files from internet [Re: rharv]
jakekeasling Offline

In BIAB and other PG programs, click on window, then new, then events and edit form there.

#72289 - 08/04/10 12:55 AM Re: MIDI files from internet [Re: basementb_2000]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Help!. i can't download midi files from my bowers because quicktime only plays it..how to i change this?.?

#72290 - 08/04/10 08:18 AM Re: MIDI files from internet [Re: ]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Have you tried to right-click and 'save as' ?

#72291 - 08/06/10 03:43 AM Re: MIDI files from internet [Re: basementb_2000]
Alessia222 Offline

On Midi4u, right click the 'Download' button and click on 'Save link as' or 'Save Target As', something like that. The words will be different, depending on which browser you're using.

#72292 - 08/06/10 10:30 AM Re: MIDI files from internet [Re: basementb_2000]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

I have been downloading MIDI music files from the the internet that others have created to a flash drive. I then use that flash drive within BIAB (open MIDI) to play along (with my guitar) on my YAMAHA keyboard. I also do some home-recording and this MIDI file then drives the process (I have a KORG digital recorder and a Quintet voice harmonizer). I am finding that the MIDI files from the flash drive apparently contain a lot of MIDI instructions that I may not want...ie: (1) instruments that apparently my Yamaha keyboard does not have which cause very strange inappropriate sounds (2) MIDI instructions that tell the Quintet voice synthesizer to do things that I don't want it to do. My question, I guess, is there a good MIDI editor within BIAB to remove certain MIDI instructions that I don't want?

the symptoms you describe sound like you are playing General Midi songs on a non-GM synth. That results in patches that are supposed to be a piano (for example) being played as something else. I have a Yamaha keyboard, and its patch set is NOT general Midi

You could try loading the MIDI files into RealBand, and select a general Midi soft synth as your MIDI playback device and see if you get the correct instrument sounds. I think you will have to remap the instruments in the MIDI file if you are going to send the MIDI output to your yamaha keyboard as playback device.

Alternatively, check your yamaha manual to see if it has a GM (General Midi) mode. Depending on your experience with MIDI, this may or may not make any sense. You may want to post the model number of your yamaha keyboard so somebody can find the manual online and see if it has a GM mode. Then maybe we can coach you through the setup step by step.

#72293 - 08/07/10 10:56 AM Re: MIDI files from internet [Re: Pat Marr]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Window-New-Event List should get you to the editor you need to work on those items you mentioned in BiaB.
As mentioned above by jakekeasling

Edited by rharv (08/07/10 10:57 AM)

#72294 - 08/09/10 08:03 AM Re: MIDI files from internet [Re: basementb_2000]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

I am finding that the MIDI files from the flash drive apparently contain a lot of MIDI instructions that I may not want...ie: (1) instruments that apparently my Yamaha keyboard does not have which cause very strange inappropriate sounds (2) MIDI instructions that tell the Quintet voice synthesizer to do things that I don't want it to do.

It may be only that Yamaha gear usually uses the older Japanese method of Patch numbering, which is called "Zero Based" -- instead of the first patch being numbered as 001 and the last as 128, many Yamahas that are not marked on the front panel as being "GM compatable" will start with 000 as the first patch (Grand Piano, which is 001 on Roland and other GM synths) and ends at 127.

Same number of patches, but the numbering scheme is "one off".

Inside BiaB, in the GM menu, you can set BB to be Zero Based to accomodate the Yamaha soundbank as a global setting. That way, you don't have to deal with altering all those MIDI files as this is a global setting.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

PG Music News
Video - Using VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 with Band-in-a-Box

Check out this tutorial on using Ravenscroft 275 with Band-in-a-Box for Windows, which also includes some demos of the Ravenscroft 275 piano playing MIDI SuperTracks: Watch it here!
Learn more about Ravenscroft 274 and listen to additional demos via our purchasing page or by visiting the VI Labs website.

Have you purchased a copy of VI Labs Ravenscroft 275? We'd love to hear your results! Post them here.

Save Your Song as a Video with Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac!

With Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac you have the option to save your song as a video that you can upload to YouTube or work with in video programs! Watch Tobin explain this new feature here: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IAfmkdpwVo8

(this feature is also available with Band-in-a-Box 2015 and higher for Windows: Watch the video.)

Not only can you save your song as a video, you can also load videos that you already have into Band-in-a-Box!
From the New Features List:
Video Window: The audio is extracted from the video to the audio track. As the song plays, you can slow down the video, and the audio will slow down and stay in sync.
The quality of the audio at slower or faster tempos is great. The video slowdown range is 6-800%. This is a great tool for transcription. You can select a range in the Chord Sheet window and use Transport - [Loop] button to loop a section of the video at a low tempo for example.

Have you made a Band-in-a-Box video? Feel free to share it on our User Showcase Forum.

Watch Wolf Marshall's Band-in-a-Box Testimonial Video!

Guess who else popped by our NAMM booth for a visit? Endorsing Artist Wolf Marshall!
(You may have noticed he's also in the recently posted photo of Henry Johnson enjoying the Crooner RealTracks...)

Wolf shared his Band-in-a-Box Video Testimonial with us, which you can watch here: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=4UWqoh0tP6Q.
Not only does he share how he uses (and why he enjoys) the program, he also tells us of a recent situation where Band-in-a-Box helps him complete a project in record time!

Click here to learn more about Endorsing Artist Wolf Marshall.

All of the Band-in-a-Box Video Testimonials are available here.

Band-in-a-Box Video Testimonial - Henry Johnson

Endorsing Artist Henry Johnson shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box with this Video Testimonial: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=MTNMoS61lMY

Henry has been playing guitar since he was just twelve years old! It didn't take long for him to become a well known jazz guitarist - learn more about Henry when you visit www.henryjohnsonjazz.com

We have even more video testimonials here.

PG Music Inc. - Family Day Hours (February 8, 2016)

Monday, February 8th is Family Day in British Columbia, Canada. With this in mind, we will have limited hours of operation that day:
Sales & Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8)
Tech Support: Closed

Our regular hours will resume on Tuesday, February 9th.

RealTracks Artist Brad Turner - 2016 JUNO Award Nominee!

The Brad Turner Quartet has been nominated for a "2016 Jazz Album of the Year: Group" JUNO Award! The nominated album is called Over My Head, which you can listen to here.
We'll find out if he wins on April 3rd, when the Award Show airs...

All of the JUNO nominees can be viewed here.

Brad's RealTracks were some of the earlier released ones, with Sets 15 & 17. Listen to demos of these RealTracks and learn more about Brad when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

To learn more about The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) and The JUNO Awards visit junoawards.ca/about/.

The Melody/Soloist Sequencer in Band-in-a-Box for Windows

Ever notice that green 'SEQ' button in Band-in-a-Box? This little guy allows control over multi-channel MIDI information on the Melody or Soloist track!
(for example, you might want a single instrument out of a MIDI file you import into Band-in-a-Box, so the Melody Sequencer allows you to rechannel, or delete specific channels)

We've created a video based on this feature with the Melody track (but it works the same with the Soloist track!) which can be viewed here:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=OejFpi4TjIQ.

Learn even more about this feature by viewing this document (taken from the Help Menu within the program).

Forum Stats
24267 Members
39 Forums
37907 Topics
301154 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
djc, randedager, Shorthauler, LDO649X, Nate Watts

24267 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 264
Noel96 186