Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I will wade in here at suggest that you take the freebie Introduction to Jazz Improvisation from Berklee, taught by none other than Gary Burton.

It's free. It's Gary Burton. It's also hard for someone who hasn't studied jazz before.

But then again, it's free and it's Gary Burton teaching the class. Yes, that Gary Burton.

https://www.coursera.org/course/improvisation

Session starts February 2, 2015. No excuse not to join in, no spam, and Gary Burton teaches you jazz improvisation and deals with exactly the topic of this thread. Eventually.

Veteran
Veteran
IMHO you need to get to the point where you just play and not have to think whether you have to play an F or F# in a certain spot. IMO you tend to over-think some things and that will get in the way of your actual playing. Ray

Last edited by raymb1; 01/21/15 02:13 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you for your advice Ray. I am sure you mean well. See though, I have always analysed everything, its in my DNA, this is not to say your approach is not valid of course.

Mind you I can play off the cuff

This is me, completely off the cuff, new song new band, no time to think of chords or key,first take...

(Sax)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nahzybzmr3q3uh/Red%20House.WAV?dl=0

Last edited by ZeroZero; 01/21/15 09:42 AM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
K
K
Thanks for the tip on the Gary Burton Berklee course. Excellent!

Ron...

Veteran
Veteran
I generally avoid discussion of theory since it's not critical to my everyday functioning in music.

However....

When you look at the written sheet music, you are given everything you need to know. Assuming you can read the music. You have the key signature which tells you the key and indicates the sharps or flats that are in the music. Knowing that, you play the correct notes.

If a note is intended to be one of the "avoid notes" but the composer intends you to play it, that too is indicated by use of an accidental.... a sharp or flat symbol placed immediately in front of that note.

Chord symbols are there in sheet music for other folks, mainly guitar players who can not read the notes on the staff. If you're using them to play the song, your accuracy is going to be diminished from someone who can read the music.

I took piano lessons for a number of years and had a piano teacher who could look at a piece of music she had never seen before and tell you all about that particular piece of music..... key, chords, inversions of the chords, whether it was a major or a minor key and so on...

If you are having difficulty with something, before you make the assumption that the system is broken or incomplete, learn more about it because 99% of the time, it's not a broken or incomplete system, it's a lack of knowledge. This was brought home to me in a real way when I bought a pistol and shot it.... I thought the sights were off.... the gunsmith at the store told me to "go learn the right way to shoot before you start messing with the sights".... and he was correct. It was me lacking the knowledge.... so too with music and long established musical systems be it the Nashville system or do, re, mi, or whatever else.... all those systems were developed over time to allow people to use them to play music that someone else had composed and to do it relatively accurately.

I'm not trying to bust on you..... just saying that perhaps a bit more study with a teacher or mentor who understands them would be helpful. If you have a teacher who doesn't understand those systems, there's no way they can teach their students the proper use of those systems.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Well said Herb. +1 Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Chord symbols are there in sheet music for other folks, mainly guitar players who can not read the notes on the staff. If you're usng them to play the song, your accuracy is going to be diminished from someone who can read the music.

Hi Guitar Hacker,
With respect, you make my point.

The title of the thread is "Chords don't tell you what you need to know", I still hold this is true. I was meaning when used for improvising. If your trying to play along to a new song and you come across a chord you cant tell what notes are going to be 'in' and what notes are going to be 'out' by looking at the chord symbol. The example I used in the original post is an A7 appearing in a C progression. You have to make some calculations to realise that the C# needs to be handled with care.

Just because a system has been around for a long time it does not mean its a good system. yes its true, that as you study music sometimes it can reveal that the complexities of the notation system are there for a purpose, but not always. There are lots of things that could be a lot easier to understand.

Music is a language, similar to 'natural' languages, like English or Chinese, it has evolved from a number of diverse forms and usages. As these languages evolved in various ad hoc settings, for purposes that are now sometimes defunct they bring with them redundancy and unnecessary complexity.
We use words to spell, but there are lots of illogicalities in the English spelling system that make it hard for learners to master the art. Similarly in music there are lots of attributes that make it hard to master reading and writing music. They are simply historical anomalies.
The problem is that even if you can invent a new system that does away with the problems, it's hard for such a system to gain universality - e.g. Esperanto.

If a person simply learns English, in order to speak it - to perform the act of listening and speaking - then they might not realise that the system they are using is full of contradictions, they simply use it. Its only when its pointed out that cough and bough and bow are inconsistently spelt, that it comes to their notice. If a person points out the illogicalities in music it does not necessarily mean they simply have to understand its rules better.

When improvising, sight reading a series of chords, if you come across an Am7 chord it does not tell you that it is a Phrygian, Dorian or Aeolian minor, so you have to calculate it's context to find out what kind of ninths and sixths to use. If you use the wrong kind, they can stand out like a sore thumb. All this takes time and effort.
As an off the cuff example, If the chord symbol was simply AP(for Phrygian) or AD, or AA you would know both the scale and the chordal tones and would be able to improvise more freely and quickly.

The whole system comes from the needs of medieval monks scratching church modal needs onto parchment, gradually a uniformity of script was built, and this was extended and modified.

Imagine a learner, looking at a note on a staff. The note is on the middle ledger line. What note is it? Well that's a legitimate question in my book, but...

It could be a B - if its treble clef, or it could be a D if its bass clef. Its even possible that it could be the French Violin Clef, or The C clef or the Sub bass clef - each giving different notes. Additionally, it can raise a semitone, or lower a semitone, and this can either be indicated next to the note or elsehwere. It can even be raised or lowered a tone by the presence of a double flat or sharp.

If the instrument is a transposing instrument, for any one of these clefs, it could be termed a "B", or an "A", but it actually might be another note entirely, so that when you as an Alto sax player refer to a specific note, then your tenor sax friend refers to the same pitch using a different name from the same system, your French Horn player again something different and your pianist yet again some other pitch, using the same term.

The student's question was a simple one, "what note is that?" but the answer is unnecessarily complex, in the same was as bough, bow (bend) and bow (ribbon).
It's my personal view that the system we have handed down to us, often does not tell us what we need to know, or makes it obscure so we have to derive simple essential information (like what note is this) by calculation.

IMO

Z

Veteran
Veteran
I'll grant your point on the "chord chart only" kind of musician. While I tend to fall into that category myself, preferring the chart to reading the notes. My sight reading skill is poor at best on piano, and non-existent on guitar. Oh I can look at the notes on the staff and figure it out if I need to, but essentially I do not read music. Not at a functional level.

Absolutely, I know and understand that the chord charts only give me a portion of what's happening but for what it does, it does it well. On guitar, mostly I am playing a chording pattern behind the other instruments anyway.

IF I, or any other chord chart user really wanted or needed to know what was going on 100% with the sheet music, I, or they, would need to learn to sight read that music on our instrument. And yes, I do freely admit that it is my lack of knowledge and skill in sight reading that is the problem in my case. However, I see no immediate or pressing advantage to spending the time to learn to sight read. For me, if and when I need to provide guitar in some circumstance where sheet music is used, I do one of two things.... I either read the chord charts for the chords I play, or I play by ear knowing from looking at the sheet music the key of the song from it's key signature.

I do believe that ALL needed information can be given through the sheet music including the feel of the music and pauses and other nuances, through the symbols that are used to indicate such things.

An interesting side note to this: I played guitar for many years in the church orchestra. There was rarely ever a part of the songs where the guitar did anything other than play chords. We had several really well classically trained piano players. Several of which who could play anything in any key you put in front of them on sight. And play it like they have known that song all their lives. However, if you asked two of them to play following a chord chart or an impromptu jam in C major and they were totally at a loss on what or how to play it.

I still believe that the time tested musical staff and notes gives the most and the best information to the players involved. Perhaps someone will develop some other better, more efficient system but for now, no.... that's the best we have.

The other systems, such as you mentioned, and in particular, the Nashville chord chart system were developed to fill a particular need and were not intended to be the cure to the music world's ills. Nashville musicians needed a charting system that allowed for ease of understanding and was translatable into any key instantly and thus developed that system for studio use. What it does, it does better than the lines and staff but yes, it lacks in other areas, however, the information it doesn't provide is generally not needed anyway in that system. It filled the need in a particular area of music and that's what mattered most.

Perhaps to be able to understand music fully, the way the composer intended it to be played using our current systems is impossible. However, I believe we can get to the 99.9% mark using the systems we have.

www.herbhartley.com

J
Expert
Expert
J
I happen to agree completely and understand Zero Zero's point. I am like guitar hacker in that my sight-reading is poor, and quite frankly, I'd much rather learn to solo over chords than READ solos over chords. It seems to be common for many people that they take one road or the other, and don't have enough sets of "10,000" spare hours to master BOTH.

So that said - as a person that wants to solo from chord symbols, there is nothing that has been created for that to give me a little more of the information I need regarding which scales/notes will and won't work in the context of a song.

Now - it would seem to me that explicitly indicating the particular scales or notes would be the most straightforward way to do this, but that would require and ADDITIONAL nomenclature 'line' along the music for such - I can't see how that would REPLACE the chord symbols, I can only envision a supplement to them for the purpose we mention.

I'm in the process of taking many, many lessons from a really good teacher, who's teaching me EXACTLY what ZeroZero describes as missing from chord charts. That said...there are actually MANY options that can be used, and this would require additional Nomenclature specifying the particular scales/tones to include or not include.

To really analyze a tune an know what scales / arpeggios / extenstions / substitutions will and will not work - well, I guess that's what separates the level of player you are.

I would love to see some additional lines under each measure indicating which scales/chords..etc. to use and the REASONING behind each from players that have studied this.

Maybe for those interested, we could share such charts, as a way of learning and sharing together in the process of improving this aspect of the art of soloing.

And for those that think of using entirely different exotically named scales for EACH chord listed - for me at least, that is way beyond my level of processing for the purpose of an improvisation in real time - it may be an analytically structured way to do it, but there's probably few that have committed the whole, e.g. Abercrombie chart in their head and can play through a new set of changes in the real book thinking this way. I didn't say NOBODY could do it - but my guess is very few musicians can do this of the entire bunch in the world.

Veteran
Veteran
One of the big problems with any sort of system other than the tried and true musical staffs previously mentioned is the sheer number of variables upon variables that exist in music.

Joe alludes to this in the post above.... For any given chord.... there are numerous scales that could be played over it.... and variables of each of those.... you could practically "write a book" on each measure as to all the options available... or the layers of depth you might wish to explore.

In most cases, that isn't even close to being feasible or practical. Especially for most of the music we play. If you want that level of awareness, there are music theory and music appreciation classes that will take you there. All I need to know is that I'm in a given key, if it's major or minor and what chord I need to play or solo on. My choice of scale will be dictated by the key and how I intend to play that part because as was pointed out, I have the option to NOT stick to the major scale if that's what I'm hearing and feeling in my soul.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/14/15 05:40 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
[The title of the thread is "Chords don't tell you what you need to know", I still hold this is true. I was meaning when used for improvising.]

Zero, the above statement of yours tells me that you need to do more studying. A7 tells me exactly what I need to know to improvise. To say that the C# in the A7 needs to be handled with care because the key you're playing in is C, is baloney. You need more study, from a good teacher. You're trying to analyze to the point of "ad absurdum". You're analyzing the wrong things. Ray

J
Expert
Expert
J
Ray - can you point to a single book or two that would explain what ZeroZero (and myself) have missed ? With the abundance of pedagogical materials out there, surely you can point us to a good reference on the topic.

Veteran
Veteran
I have been following this thread with great interest but I haven't commented until now.

The scale syllabus should help:
http://jazzbooks.com/mm5/download/FREE-scale-syllabus.pdf

Here is my view:
1-Learn scales, chords and modes as much or as little as you want
2-Learn what scales and modes go with chords as in the syllabus
3-do not let the above get in the way of your playing

That last statement may sound confusing to some. I suggest you play what you feel from your heart then go back and analyze what you have played, if you want too. In other words don't let theory get in the way of your leads and jams, i.e. nothing is worse than a player running scales as a solo with no melody and/or feel. If everyone had stayed within the boundaries of theory we would still be writing and playing like Bach!

On the other hand the more theory you have the more your musical horizons will expand. That is if you have the ear for it. Remember the same 88 keys were under Bach's fingers and were under Monk, Peterson, or Coreas's fingers.

Learning notes contained in chords is what I would start with first. For instance XeroZero's C# statement, a C# is in the chord A7. A C# in a C chord would be written as a Db and the chord might be C7b9 or a C add b9.

I believe that if you base chords on the major scale of the chord's tonic note then all will become quite clear. If you need help on this just let me know.

I am not an expert on theory but I do know some.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JAJAZZ&Category_Code=AEBPUB

The above is a start. The Music-Minus-One series would be good too. Just google Jazz Improvisation for lots of sources.
Accomplished players just do not think of chords the way you are trying to. A7b9 tells you all you need to know. How you play the chord is determined by what came before and what comes after. Ray

http://jazzadvice.com/two-five-progressions-made-easy/ More stuff to check out.

Last edited by raymb1; 02/14/15 03:17 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?screen=fqbk

This free book should give you a lot of info. Ray

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The A7 in the key of C in a I,VI,II,V,I converts the Am (6th chord) into a V chord of the II minor.
This briefly brings the chords out of the key signature, but because the IIm then goes to a V and a I of C we rapidly return.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 02/14/15 11:52 PM.

J
Expert
Expert
J
It's apparent that Ray knows his stuff - thanks for those sources Ray. The best places to find sources is from somebody that knows their stuff !

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero
The A7 in the key of C in a I,VI,II,V,I converts the Am (6th chord) into a V chord of the II minor.
This briefly brings the chords out of the key signature, but because the IIm then goes to a V and a I of C we rapidly return.

What you say is absolutely correct and a good analysis of the A7b9 function in the key of C. But a simpler way to approach a flat 9 chord, regardless of the key is to look at it as an alt chord. That makes available all the neat tensions (b5, #5, b9, #9, etc.).

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lkmuller
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero

What you say is absolutely correct and a good analysis of the A7b9 function in the key of C. But a simpler way to approach a flat 9 chord, regardless of the key is to look at it as an alt chord. That makes available all the neat tensions (b5, #5, b9, #9, etc.).

What lk says is entirely correct. Don't think of A7 as going out of the key of C. It's just a chord to play on. Ray

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,280
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181