You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#93396 - 11/26/10 10:31 PM [User Showcase] Instrumental - I'm Going Home
dcuny Offline
Expert

Here's a short instrumental I made with BiaB today: I'm Going Home. It's more a exercise than a real song - the goal was use a RealTrack soloist to come up with coherent melodic line. Seems a simple enough task, right? I don't want to admit to the number of hours I spent fiddling with this...

The track was initially generated by BIAB using the Melodist using the Pop 8 - JBuffet style. The instruments are:

• NashvilleEven16^1[Sidestick,Ride]
  • BossaRockPerc^2-Congas Only
  • BossaRockPerc^2-Perc Only
  • 683 - Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
  • 691 - Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBrightEven 120
  • 708 - Guitar, NylonElec, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
  • 553 - Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
  • 811 - Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Acc PopVancover Ev 100
  • 704 - Flute Soloist Bossa Ev 140

The tracks were exported as .WAV files and imported into Reaper. The flute tracks were rendered at 140 BPM and time stretched down to 120 BPM them in Reaper to avoid artifacts. BiaB does an excellent job stretching material upward, but going down is prone to artifacts.

Three different flute parts were created, and I tried to cut and paste together something resembling a melody. There's a lot of editing done to the melody line, including stretching and pitch shifting notes. The other instruments are pretty much "raw" from BiaB, with the addition of volume envelopes. Various reverb has been applied to instruments, and the flute has some FX added to it.

I hadn't intended it to make this quite so short, but the end of one of the flute phrases had a nice cadence in it, so I decided to end it there.

Rather than EQ this properly, I EQ'd a few of the instruments and then got lazy and used the free BuzzRizer2 VST with the Classic 3 setting for the entire mix. So it's not properly balanced, and the upper end is a bit grainy.

I'm probably done fooling around with this, although I'm an inveterate tinkerer... Feedback is welcome!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#93397 - 11/26/10 10:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Instrumental - I'm Going Home [Re: dcuny]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi David,

A skillful arrangement that shows a good sense of the bossanova style. Everything flows really well. Just today, I was playing around with time-stretching on Reaper and found myself wondering how it would go with Realtracks! You've saved me the effort of experimenting. I'm impressed. On my speakers, the flute overshadowed the accompaniment and I wondered how the arrangement would sound with the rhythm section brought a little more forward.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Regards,
Noel

#93398 - 11/27/10 03:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Instrumental - I'm Going Home [Re: Noel96]
dcuny Offline
Expert

Hi, Noel. Thanks for listening! Instead of bringing the rhythm up, I'll first try bringing the lead down a bit - I think it's a tad shrill. But first, some sleep, and some fresh ears in the morning.

I'm also a bit unsure about the piano at 0:35. Where it overlaps with the flute, it's fine, but where they're both playing it's a bit fussy. I wanted to give the listener a short break from the flute at that point, and initially dropped it out entirely. But there was a nice little flute phrase what worked nicely as a response to the piano, and bit by bit the flute came back.

I'm very happy with Reaper's time stretching. BiaB has a number of RealTracks - like the flute - which I just love, but don't have native lower tempo options. You can get very surgical precision as well. For example, at 0:30 I've messed with the phrase pretty extensively, and the playback rate for the notes ranges between 152% down to 51%. If you listen carefully you can hear the difference, but it's more because I've used short notes with differing vibrato.

Just be warned that you can end up tweaking stuff forever, and no one other than you will ever hear the difference.

#93399 - 11/27/10 10:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Instrumental - I'm Going Home [Re: dcuny]
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: uk
Hi Dc,Nice mix though I find the flute a little bit to much up front and would have liked a bit more reverb.Also I would have preferred to have listened to the intro accoustic guitars a bit longer before the flute came in.But the point you are making is spot on showing what could be done with this great software.Cheers Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar

#93400 - 11/27/10 11:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Instrumental - I'm Going Home [Re: tributeman]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
David, this sounds really good - love the way it flows. Nice job.

Bob

#93401 - 11/27/10 03:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Instrumental - I'm Going Home [Re: rsdean]
dcuny Offline
Expert

Thanks for all the input! There's a new mix: I'm Going Home Mix 2.

I've made the following changes:

• Added a guitar vamp at the beginning.
  • Lowered the volume on the flute.
  • Changed the reverb on the flute.
  • Brought the nylon string in on a few parts.
  • Fiddled with other bits.
  • Once again resisted adding a "cha-cha-cha" ending.

So it must be better!

#93402 - 11/27/10 06:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Instrumental - I'm Going Home [Re: dcuny]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi David,

Yep, it's definitely easier to listen to. The mix blends together as a whole now. The only thing I'd suggest is to raise the bass a tad higher. Maybe it's my ears, but the bass seemed very quiet. I'm impressed with your ability to make electronic adjustments sound so natural.

Regards,
Noel

#93403 - 11/27/10 09:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Instrumental - I'm Going Home [Re: Noel96]
Muzic Trax Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Mix 2 is the winner There are some great songs being posted with RT's and this is another example of what can be done with them. Fantastic job with the ol slice and dice to come up with this one, I liked it !!

Trax

#93404 - 11/28/10 01:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Instrumental - I'm Going Home [Re: Muzic Trax]
DRiddle Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida, USA
Hey David,
I really enjoyed listening to this. I liked MIX 2 a lot better than the first. BUT, I was impressed with it before I heard the 2nd verson ....

Danny

#93405 - 11/28/10 02:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Instrumental - I'm Going Home [Re: DRiddle]
dcuny Offline
Expert

OK, I've posted another (and likely final) mix: I'm Going Home Mix 3

Noel, you're right about the bass. I'm always a bit paranoid about setting the bass too high, so I'm a bit conservative. I checked it out in the scope, and it was about 10db lower than my reference song. So I boosted it up a bit.

I also couldn't resist adding a bit more of an introduction. I'm not sure that it's an improvement, but this isn't really a serious piece, so no biggie. I fiddled with a number of other things, but can't remember them off the top of my head.

Thanks everyone for listening and your feedback!

PG Music News
RealBand 2017 Patch Update Available! (Build 8)

Attention RealBand 2017 users - the latest patch update (build 8) is available, and can be downloaded here.

Summary of Changes for Version 2017 Build 8:
Fixed: Empty MIDI SuperTracks and Best Soloist dialogs.
Fixed: After the end of a song, it would continue to play silence if Always On MME was enabled.
Fixed: CPU meter would say "PT" during bootup.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2017 for Windows Patch Update 468 Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows users - the latest patch update (468) is available, and can be downloaded here.

Summary of Changes for Version 2017 Build 468:
Fixed: Various popup dialogs (eg editing volume on mixer) might appear partially off screen.
Fixed: Setting "Audio Master (Base) Tempo" does not take effect until reloading the song.
Fixed: If importing audio while launching the Audio Chord Wizard, the wrong audio master tempo is set, causing the audio track to never be in sync with the style.
Fixed: Dragging to the WAV quadrant of the drop station would ignore the "Drag Master as separate tracks" setting.
Fixed: The [Edit Soloist] and [Edit Melody] buttons in the Event List Editor dialog did not work.
Fixed: Disabling "Draw interpolation" would cause random lines between sample points in the Audio Edit window.
Fixed: If a THRU harmony is selected, then Band-in-a-Box would freeze when soloing the Soloist or Thru tracks.
Fixed: Changing the color setting for "Window background" in the Audio Edit window had no effect.
Fixed: Hitting [Cancel] in the Audio Edit Settings dialog would cause a random zoom to occur.
Fixed: The [Sample] button in the Audio Edit window would zoom in to the far left of the screen, rather than to the cursor.
Fixed: If opening a song that was saved in the Mac version, a random character would be inserted at the beginning of these lead sheet fields: "Style", "Tempo", "Copyright", "Composer", and "Composer2".
Fixed: When exporting a video of the chord sheet, the the resulting video might be cropped.
Fixed: The drop station would take a few seconds to respond during the first attempt to drag and drop.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Tutorial VHS - #TBT

WOW - Look at what we came across! The Inside Band-in-a-Box Instructional Video Series for Band-in-a-Box Version 7!

Take a look...

These covered so many different topics... we needed 2 VHS tapes! From the basics of entering a song, chords, transposing, notation, recording a melody, etc. to advanced features like working with harmonies, secrets to the StyleMaker, drum patters, recording patterns and more, these videos were a hit!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® and Pro Tools

Are you a Pro Tools user? Have you seen our video, Using Band-in-a-Box to Supercharge Pro Tools?

Watch it now to learn how the powerful combination of Band-in-a-Box® and Pro Tools can boost your music creativity: Video - Using Band-in-a-Box to Supercharge Pro Tools

YouTube Find - My First Backing Track, First YouTube Video

We love that YouTube user Rick Mccann posted a video playing along with his first backing track using Band-in-a-Box!

Watch - First YouTube Video

What a great job - hopefully we see more from Rick!

User Tip - Differences Between the 'Regular' and Audiophile Version... #TipTuesday

Long time program user and forum member Matt Finley had shared his tip regarding the Audiophile version of Band-in-a-Box earlier this year, and it's still valid today!

If you've ever wondered what the difference between the 'regular version' of Band-in-a-Box and the Audiophile version, make sure you read through his forum post: Tip: differences between the 'regular' and audiophile version - it's well written, and always great to hear about the program from fellow users!

The Audiophile Version includes the entire contents of the EverythingPAK and adds the uncompressed WAV or AIFF files for all the included RealTracks & RealDrums! Learn more about the Audiophile version: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.audiophile.htm

Band-in-a-Box® User Feedback - Wow!

There are so many ways to get in touch with people these days... phone, email, social networking, etc.... so of course we hear more feedback from program users these days!
...and here's what they're saying:

"I discovered Band in a Box about a year ago. I hesitated several times before purchasing it as I couldn't quite believe it was going to be as good as the hype. I eventually relented and I can honestly say, it's an incredible program and does some amazing things. As a songwriter, it's an indispensable tool and I can't imagine not having it."
-Vince C.

"I bought the first band in a box for my Atari 1040 ST and I used it for at least 10 years before upgrading to a Windows computer. After real drums, and then real tracks, came out I have upgraded every December since. The program is absolutely inspired and inspirational."
-Kirk O.

"Not everyone can find or afford real musicians to assist them when writing songs - and if working from home, as many songwriters do, there might not be room for them. Band In A Box does the next best thing and takes recordings of real musicians performing, then makes the material available pretty much in real time, in a form that adapts to your own composition by following the chord sequences. Hard to explain simply, but fairly amazing in practice."
-Steve C.

"Great tool for musicians - and the drummer keeps a steady beat!!"
-Maurice A.

"Great for learning new songs. I was weak on country rock songs and with the combination of using Riffstation and BIAB I am able to creat my own backup track for live performance and practicing songs with easier chording... Thanks PG!"
-Laurent C.

"I have it since 2001, use it all the time, great program!"
-John F.

"Thank you Band in a Box. I am a songwriter, and don't play several instruments, so I love being able to wear 2 hats and write and produce, and then later record vocals... You have probably saved me months/years on my project. Excellent tool. Thanks again!"
-Randy A.

"Didn't think I would ever go down that road but got roped into it by another muso friend, bought it and now loving it!"
-Fred P.

Let us know what you think! Post a review on our Band-in-a-Box Comments page, visit our Facebook page, or contact us directly.

Forum Stats
26497 Members
50 Forums
47930 Topics
391223 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
jim graves, markmick, Voltrane, RyanR, Steve S

26496 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 186
VideoTrack 157