Here's a short instrumental I made with BiaB today: I'm Going Home
. It's more a exercise than a real song - the goal was use a RealTrack soloist to come up with coherent melodic line. Seems a simple enough task, right? I don't want to admit to the number of hours I spent fiddling with this...
The track was initially generated by BIAB using the Melodist
using the Pop 8 - JBuffet
style. The instruments are:
- BossaRockPerc^2-Congas Only
- BossaRockPerc^2-Perc Only
- 683 - Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
- 691 - Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBrightEven 120
- 708 - Guitar, NylonElec, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
- 553 - Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
- 811 - Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Acc PopVancover Ev 100
- 704 - Flute Soloist Bossa Ev 140
The tracks were exported as .WAV
files and imported into Reaper. The flute tracks were rendered at 140 BPM and time stretched down to 120 BPM them in Reaper to avoid artifacts. BiaB does an excellent job stretching material upward, but going down is prone to artifacts.
Three different flute parts were created, and I tried to cut and paste together something resembling a melody. There's a lot
of editing done to the melody line, including stretching and pitch shifting notes. The other instruments are pretty much "raw" from BiaB, with the addition of volume envelopes. Various reverb has been applied to instruments, and the flute has some FX added to it.
I hadn't intended it to make this quite
so short, but the end of one of the flute phrases had a nice cadence in it, so I decided to end it there.
Rather than EQ this properly, I EQ'd a few of the instruments and then got lazy and used the free BuzzRizer2
VST with the Classic 3
setting for the entire mix. So it's not properly balanced, and the upper end is a bit grainy.
I'm probably done fooling around with this, although I'm an inveterate tinkerer... Feedback is welcome!