You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#108441 - 03/13/11 01:27 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Quarter note triplets
Bruce B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Durban South Africa
Can anyone please tell me how to get BIAB/RealBand to play quarter note triplets? I can get it to do fairly close to what I want in most ways, and I'm sure I'm not the only musician who uses them I’ve searched the manual and the forums and am frankly surprised it hasn’t come up before. I'm sure there is a way, as if there isn't it's a glaring omission.

#108442 - 03/13/11 06:45 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Quarter note triplets [Re: Bruce B]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Bruce,

This has been discussed many times before in the Band In A Box (Windows) forum.

If you want 1/4 note triplets to play properly, the best way that I have found to do it is via the Piano Roll editor. Note entry via this window has "Snap" and "Dur(ation)" controls that, when working in tandem, give perfect triplets. (Whether these notes display properly on the lead sheet, though, is another thing and depends on other settings. Even if they don't look correct on screen in Editable Notation mode, they will play correctly when set in the Piano Roll mode.)

Regards,
Noel

#108443 - 03/13/11 01:09 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Quarter note triplets [Re: Noel96]
allis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Are you also trying the Editable Notation mode? The lines there represent an eighth-note triplet duration when set for Triplets. Two lines (unsurprisingly) fetch a quarter triplet. In that mode, triplets snap onto the time line automatically without setting anything, and durations self-adjust. You see the final appearance of notation without shifting views.

It's important to remember that BiaB will simply refuse to write triplets in some circumstances, due to ancient, ignored bugs. For example, the program utterly botches triplets spanning the second and third beats of a 4-4 bar. It won't hear of that and goes all brain-damaged. Don't be shocked.

#108444 - 03/21/11 06:39 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Quarter note triplets [Re: allis]
Bruce B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Durban South Africa
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry not to be clear, I meant triplets in the BAND. Inmho triplets should be available in the Chord Settings window. I was also a little miffed that I can't get eighth notes (obviously in slow tunes)! I've been making tracks of Steve Tyrell arrangements, and these 2 points have caused some compromise. Not to take anything away from a great and unique program that gets me pretty darn close to where I want to be, I just think these are obvious enhancements that could make BIAB any arrangers dream for rhythm section mock-ups.

#108445 - 03/21/11 07:20 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Quarter note triplets [Re: Bruce B]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Bruce,

Sounds like this is better placed in the "Band In A Box Wishlist" rather than "Tips and Tricks".

Regards,
Noel

PG Music News
Holiday Hours - Memorial Day (USA)

Monday, May 29th is Memorial Day in the United States.

Since we are located in Canada, this will not affect our hours of operation.

Customer Service:
6:00AM PST to 7:00PM PST

Technical Support:
10:00AM PST to 5:00 PST

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac Build 175 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac customers can install the latest patch update (Build 286) here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_macintoshupdates.htm#2017_175

Summary of changes:
Added: The RealTracks Settings dialog now has a choice of low/medium/high for Elastique stretching quality, instead of just high quality on or off (high quality disabled meant medium).
Fixed: The "Select Hi-Q MIDI Patch Plugin" menu item should be available to the Melody, Soloist, and Thru tracks.
Fixed: Audio Unit plugins would be erased from the exclude list while booting up Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: Plugins on the Thru track should not be removed when loading a style or song.
Fixed: Sforzando and Amplitube should not be listed in the Plugins dialog unless they are installed.
Fixed: Keyboard input might stop working after using the Preferences dialog.
Fixed: Clicking on a mixer piano would send the event to the default synth, rather than the plugin on that track.
Fixed: Options > Return to Factory Settings... would cause various problems (eg. the chord sheet would be squished to the left)

Get Inspired with Band-in-a-Box® Radio!

Are you new to Band-in-a-Box and interested in hearing what other program users are creating with the program? Visit our Band-in-a-Box® Radio page! www.pgmusic.com/bbradio.htm

Here you can shuffle through all of the User Showcase songs that are shared on SoundCloud without ever leaving our website. Categories include: Recent, Featured, Country & Folk (1, 2), Jazz (1, 2), Rock & Pop (1, 2), and Song Requests.

Like what you hear? Each song playing includes a link to the original forum post, so you can leave a comment if you'd like! Found an artist you want to hear more from? There is also an option to visit the Artist SoundCloud page!

Want to share your own Band-in-a-Box creations? Make sure to post them to our User Showcase Forum!

Time is Running Out! Act Now for Special Pricing for the Celtic Guitar Video Master Class Series with Quinn Bachand!

We're offering all three volumes of the Celtic Guitar Video Master Class Series with Quinn Bachand! for the special price of $29 - Offer Ends May 31st! (reg: $49)

Watch the trailer...

Quinn has not only mastered Celtic guitar (he did so at a very young age), he is also an expert on jazz and gypsy guitar! Quinn is a great teacher, and knows all the theory and terminology to describe what he is teaching. These videos included in the Celtic Guitar Video Master Class Series are highly recommended. There are 3 volumes, each one hour long ($19 per volume). Quinn cover techniques, chord theory, voicings and walks you through 17 "must-know" tunes. This is for the intermediate-advanced guitarist, and covers Celtic guitar styles (some folk and old-time covered as well).

Learn more & order it for Mac here.

Learn more & order it for Windows here.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac 49-PAK

Add the 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac purchase to receive ALL 24 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 18 Instrumental Studies, 30 MIDI SuperTracks, and 59 Re-discovered RealStyles & MIDI SuperTracks for just $49!

Listen to the Demo files for the Bonus RealTracks, and learn more about the MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, and Rediscovered RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks when you visit www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.bonuspaks_2017.htm

Attention Mac Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Audiophile Customers! If you purchase your 49-PAK at the same time as your Audiophile Upgrade purchase, we'll make sure you receive the AIFF files for the 24 additional RealTracks pre-installed to the Audiophile hard drive!

Video - Vonus 49-PAK Overview

YouTube Find - Morning Morning, Featuring Band-in-a-Box®!

YouTube user harddaysnite recently shared an original tune created using Band-in-a-Box®... and it sounds INCREDIBLE!

YouTube Video - Morning Morning

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac - Special Upgrade Pricing Until May 31, 2017!

On April 20 we released Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac with over 80 new features, 202 New RealTracks, and more!

To celebrate this release, we are offering special pricing on Upgrade packages (up to 50% off!) until May 31st!

Find the upgrade package for you when you visit www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm

Forum Stats
25995 Members
49 Forums
45803 Topics
372299 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
anatoliy061, billyboms, KrispinAardvark, SUGA, John Kotches

25995 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 230
Al-David 191