Page 1 of 2 1 2
#312053 09/28/15 03:52 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Band in a Box has a few flaws I don't like.
1) You can't assign parent scale to chord progression, it seems you should be able to assign melodic minor, harmonic minor, harmonic major or simple things like dorian or lydian to progressions, otherwise how can it know what notes to add.
2)no support for quartal harmony
3)no support for quartal harmony in odd scales like melodic minor or harmonic minor.
4) Voice leading is not very good in many cases (want oblique, and contrary motion)
4) b5 substitutions taken from corresponding melodic minor scale, you can fake out Band in a box by typing aFlat maj\min over G for b5 dominate chord.

so Dm, aFlat maj\min over G, cmaj7 would be the ii V I
Many of these things I have figured out how to do, on my own

5) I don't like real tracks I want MIDI tracks, MIDI is more flexible for professional tweaking

I have a lot of good ideas but I just don't want to give them away for nothing.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sonicBling
Band in a Box has a few flaws I don't like.

Because it doesn't do something you want, surely doesn't make it a 'flaw'?

I have a lot of good ideas but I just don't want to give them away for nothing.

And that's perfectly OK, too.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Not supporting Quartal Harmony is a flaw (limitation), not supporting Melodic minor, Harmonic minor and other exotic scales is a flaw (limitation). Having non-scale-able software is bad, I am not sure how the transpose works without midi I think it is impossible to have good voice leading, so I don't thing drooping support for midi is good idea, I don't think I am wrong.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
So sorry that you don't like Real Tracks. All you have to do is ignore them like I do midi tracks. Real Tracks have been the biggest innovation since they've been added. Where else can you get a world class rhythm section with Kenny Barron, Ron Carter and Lewis Nash backing you up?

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
raymb1 #312060 09/28/15 05:12 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Yes I think real tracks are nice in their own way but why don't U generate MIDI data from them, MIDI data is so much easier to tweek and modify, generally I never use straight Band in Box midi, I use it for the drums and for variation but something original is always implanted inside my Band in a box MIDI tracks, I use Karma, Korg Karma is not hassle free but it will support Quartal Harmony and other exotic stuff that band in box can't handle, I realize I may be outside mainstream a little, but from a academic perspective I think my ideas have real value. I could paste in samples of what i am talking about but I don't think that is allowed. Some of my harmonic ideas come from Mick Goodrick which is sort of like Allan Holdsworth where traditional chord symbols don't really work, many of the chord do not contain the root because the idea is the bass supplies the root. Some of the ideas are explained in (Generic Modality Compression) Creative Harmony by Mick Goodrick and Tm Miller, but there is some overlap with the concepts of Allan Holdsworth and Quartal Harmony and the concept of chord cycles. There is a way for Band in a Box to support it, I am programmer, I wrote a program that makes pdf diagrams (dots on a fretboard) of my concepts that could be translated to Midi data.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
How do U do a tune like 'Impressions' or 'So What' in Band in a box, the chords are Quartal Harmony, typing in Dm7, Db Minor works some what for bass but no at all for Harmony.

Also U have 2 choices of for harmony:
Quartal harmony in parallel motion or
Quartal Harmony in classical harmony (oblique, contrary) Motion and then there is 3rd option
(Generic Modality Compression) harmony. Again this is not supported at all.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Just to be clear doing 'So What' in Band in a box is a hassle, the melody is in the bass for part of the song so U have to edit the bass track, so if U use real tracks U have to delete audio? this is nightmare, deleting MIDI is easy, U can use band in a box for most of the song and delete the part where melody is in the bass. U can edit velocity (so that volume is right) because it midi, U can replace the keyboard with real Quartal harmony it is not that bad but if your in the audio world it is total nightmare. This is why real tracks should be convertible to MIDI, MIDI is way more flexible in terms of computational editing, also U should support more advanced concepts like Quartal Harmony and different scale types.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome. I believe I follow what you are saying, but you might be more clear by providing some examples of which you speak. Post some graphic files somewhere on the Internet (for example, Dropbox) and include links to them in your posts here. It is not only 'allowed' but illustrative.

When I do a song in BIAB such as So What, I write the melody as MIDI in the Melody or Harmony track, assign a patch to a nice acoustic bass, and mute the RealTrack playing bass during the playing of this melody.

BIAB is not without any support for quartal harmony, as it supports Sus4, m11, 69 and 13th chords, all essential in quartal harmony. And slash roots can get you even further.

But go ahead and post some ideas. That's what this forum is for.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
5) I don't like real tracks I want MIDI tracks, MIDI is more flexible for professional tweaking

What version and package do you have of BiaB?
I have about 4,500 styles, and I guess at least half of those (maybe more) are using MIDI tracks.
As Matt mentions, Slash Roots will give you further variations. Did you use those, and did they assist?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I have 77 style disks, yes they are cool, i used them for very long time now.
But now band in a box is moving away from MIDI
I probably have first or 2nd version of Band in a Box (DOS)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Matt i don't see any way to upload pdfs
and rules strictly said you can't add links.

Technically speaking Quartal harmony does not contain 3rds so Dm11 is not exactly the same as So What Chord c,f,b,e over a d bass,

if I used band in a box i would type in dm11 or dm69 then replace all the chords with my own and keep the bass line and drums, yes it can be done.

but what happens if you want to write a modal tune in melodic or harmonic minor
you can't

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I have 77 style disks, yes they are cool, i used them for very long time now.
But now band in a box is moving away from MIDI
I probably have first or 2nd version of Band in a Box (DOS)

1:
Is that the one you are using now, or was that the first one you purchased and you're using a later version now?

2:
I'm pretty sure that MIDI will always be an inherent and integral part of Band In A Box. I don't think PGM have moved away from MIDI, I think moreover that they have added other features as well.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I have version 14 but I use 12, seems all new features are real track related, not sure I will upgrade anymore as only a few new super midi styles are added, all the new styles are real-tracks (as far as I can tell), I don't like 14 but maybe its not set up right, it defaults to real tracks.

I make music this way
Generate midi track
Tweek midi track
add audio last in pro-tools.

Even if I use straight up BiaB I export the midi.
Play it in midi software, where I can fine tune what I like. Once it is created it is exported, if the arrangement changes which it normally does I go back to Band in a box and change it. Rinse and repeat until it is done then add guitar parts last in Pro tools, or make a live video playing to the MIDI track. I am pretty sure what I am doing is more complicated that what the average user is doing.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I have version 14 but I use 12, seems all new features are real track related, not sure I will upgrade anymore as only a few new super midi styles are added, all the new styles are real-tracks (as far as I can tell), I don't like 14 but maybe its not set up right, it defaults to real tracks.

I make music this way
Generate midi track
Tweek midi track
add audio last in pro-tools.

Even if I use straight up BiaB I export the midi.
Play it in midi software, where I can fine tune what I like. Once it is created it is exported, if the arrangement changes which it normally does I go back to Band in a box and change it. Rinse and repeat until it is done then add guitar parts last in Pro tools, or make a live video playing to the MIDI track. I am pretty sure what I am doing is more complicated that what the average user is doing.

You and I use almost the same workflow! Virtually all of my original music is MIDI based. I get a chord progression and style into BiaB then transfer it to Sonar where I tweak the MIDI tracks that I plan on keeping. Many MIDI tracks are deleted and replaced by a couple of other musicians and myself.

There are a number of us who either use mostly MIDI or add a MIDI track to supplement RTs. However I get the impression that the majority of BiaB users are now using RTs, thus PGMusic's emphasis is on them and not MIDI. I don't blame PGMusic, after all they must sell a product that appeals to the majority of their user base. I also don't think that they are abandoning MIDI, SuperMIDI tracks come to mind, but it currently not their prime market.

On a side note Melodyne has a couple of programs that will take audio and convert it to MIDI. I have Melodyne Editor and that will take either monophonic or polyphonic audio and transcribe it to MIDI. They also offer less expensive versions that only transcribes monophonic. I have used the Editor to convert RTs to MIDI and it does a very good job. You might want to look into it.

Good luck.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Matt i don't see any way to upload pdfs
and rules strictly said you can't add links.

What rules? We do it all the time. Maybe you know something we missed...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
MarioD #312136 09/29/15 06:09 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Yeah it is more logical to start with MIDI and add audio last, I Melodyne but have not used it yet.

Here is a sample of what Band in a box does not support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNsaos5eACU

Band in box kicks in at 1:32

The chords prior to that have very good voice leading (based on mathematics) and some quartal chords, so I used Korg Karma arpeggiator.

This one is more professional
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZvp92iO0I

3/4 is band in a box but bass is tweeked to follow the lead sheet.
You can tell at 7:08 that is not BiaB. Some of the harp sounds are Korg Karma generated.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, those were beautiful and helpful.

I'm wondering if someone here who writes user styles for BIAB could clarify whether what is being requested can be solved by a user-created style. In any event, my sense is that this wish belongs more in the Styles & RealTracks Wishlist forum. I don't see why BIAB couldn't play like this, especially in MIDI, if there were a style written to do so. Am I correct, or is there something fundamental lacking in the architecture of BIAB?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Here are 2 more samples
Melodic Minor in quartal harmony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNN-xBpQ4_0
Notice there is no parallel motion in the voice leading, I think there are always 1 or 2 common tones,

I figured out how to do this in any key for
Harmonic Minor
Harmonic Major
Melodic Minor
and of course regular type scale (like C or Am white keys)
in all keys
it generates a pdf of the chords with dots where to put your fingers
it's all based on mathematics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBDljehWySY

this is another one notice how voice leading is very smooth
I am not sure what this is exactly, but I have similar things in pdf format, it will sound like Bach if you voice lead right (for simple triads)

I would prefer to make MIDI output

also I figured out how to do this type of thing:

Google

Creative Chordal Harmony for Guitar: Using Generic Modality Compression

You will see U tube videos on it, I wrote a song using it but I have not recorded it.

I typed in Em9#5 in band in a box then replaced all the chords with clusters that do not contain the root. It sounds sort of like Allan Holdsworth but not exactly. It is mathematical logarithm approach to harmony.

These type of sounds are based on modes so the best way would be type in E Lydian in band in a box then select what type of chords, Generic Modality Compression, 4 note Quartal, 3 note Quartal, Quartal , etc ...

I know it can be done because I do it now but in PDF guitar grid output not MIDI.

Hope that helps

Here is a lesson on Quartal Harmony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLrTbdr9mQ

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, those were beautiful and helpful.

I'm wondering if someone here who writes user styles for BIAB could clarify whether what is being requested can be solved by a user-created style. In any event, my sense is that this wish belongs more in the Styles & RealTracks Wishlist forum. I don't see why BIAB couldn't play like this, especially in MIDI, if there were a style written to do so. Am I correct, or is there something fundamental lacking in the architecture of BIAB?

Yes these are beautiful, plus you are an excellent guitarist. If I may ask how do you like the Fly?

I agree with Matt that you should put in a request in the Styles wishlist forum. Also you may want to check with Notes Norton,
http://nortonmusic.com/
as he may have some styles like this. You may want to request that he make some if indeed these style types can be make for BiaB.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #312164 09/29/15 10:50 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
The fly is OK, it has very good neck, but it has sort of strange unnatural sound. I like it, it is my main practice guitar, I doubt if I will make videos with it anymore

I do not agree that this is just a new style, first off you have to assign a parent scale instead of assuming everything is western scale, 2nd you have to assign Quartal to the chord type, the chords are stacked 4th and 5ths as in Love Supreme, basically this is 2 chord song.

Flamenco Sketches is based on stacking the scale in 4ths and 5ths, yes Cma7 G7sus is a good approximation but it is a approximation the real magic is doing it right, other wise you won't get that mysterious sound, I think I know how to do it but won't give it away.

I got this off the internet,

JoeB
May 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Bill Evan's liner notes on the Kind of Blue album describe the tune Flamenco Sketches as: "a series of five scales, each to be played as long as the soloist wishes until he has completed the series".

The book Kind of Blue (The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece) by Ashley Kahn shows a long-lost photograph of Cannonball's music stand that a recording engineer in the studio took the day Flamenco Sketches was recorded. On the stand is a piece of staff paper with the scales written out in Bill's handwriting.

It unfortunately has the middle of two of the scales obscured by the horn's mouthpiece cover, and the accompanying book text seems to name two of the scales incorrectly. Based on enlarging the picture, accounting for alto sax transposition, listening to the recorded lines, etc. I get the following basic chord to scale series for "Flamenco Sketches":

|: Cma7 G7sus :| ... C D E F G A B C

|: Ab9sus :| ... Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db Eb

|: Bbma7 F7sus :| ... Bb C D Eb F G A Bb

|: D Eb/D (Dsusb9) :| ... D Eb F# G A Bb C D (soloists sometimes play F instead of F#)

|: G-9 :| ... G A Bb C D E F G

Over the scales, Bill wrote what looks like the instruction to "play in the sound of these scales". Bill only wrote out the scale notes, not the chords; nor did he name the scales.

It's great fun to try to come up with nice melodies given the tune itself has no theme. If anyone has access to this book or experience playing the tune I'd be interested in your take on the scales and chords.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,661
Posts735,537
Members38,531
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
akbrpra, Benfil77, William L, gman97040, kadju
38,530 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173