Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#312430 10/01/15 08:54 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I searched, I promise! But there seems to be a lack of information on this specific question: when does one use BIAB and when does one use RB?

RB seems to be just as capable as BIAB but with more DAW functionality, but then BIAB seems almost DAW-like itself. From my short experience with the two products, I would think RB actually duplicates BIAB functionality and adds some of its own features, seeming to make BIAB almost obsolete. Is it the interface target? Maybe one is more basic than the other?

What are the differences? And, again, when do you use one over the other?

Thanks!

BIAB Audiophile 2016 for Windows, Cubase LE AI Elements, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Axium Mini-Air 32, UR22, Alesis Monitors, AT2020
cklester #312435 10/01/15 09:31 AM
Veteran
Veteran
What are the differences between RealBand, Band-in-a-Box, and PowerTracks Pro Audio?

BiaB is limited to a handful of instrument tracks, and one vocal track. This is sufficient for a lot of folk. If you've got layered vocals or additional audio tracks, you'll have to use RB.

RB is basically a DAW with BiaB built in. It's easy to learn, so if you want an easy to use DAW, you'd use this.

If you've already got a DAW that you know and love, you can export your tracks there. You lose the ability to regenerate the tracks on demand, but get all your favorite features.

I suspect that if you aren't already married to a DAW and are recording audio, you'll want to work with RB.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
cklester #312441 10/01/15 10:42 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Additionally, RB has one substantial advantage over BIAB: it can regenerate part of a track.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
cklester #312443 10/01/15 11:02 AM
Expert
Expert
OK, so does BIAB have any advantages over RB (except that we know it and are comfortable with it)?

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
cklester #312448 10/01/15 12:25 PM
Veteran
Veteran
On my computer, BIAB gets into playing the song much quicker than RB because RB waits until the song is fully generated whereas BIAB starts playback while backing generation is in progress. This is the main reason I use BIAB as the starting place for my songs.

cklester: if you purchase BIAB (Windows edition), you will automatically get RB - they come as a pair.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
cklester #312452 10/01/15 01:08 PM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Personally I find RB to be totally inadequate as a DAW! Very old and clunky interface. Slow to load songs and even slow to do simple things like scroll the track screen! There are MUCH BETTER free and/or inexpensive DAWs out there. But, like someone else said, they include RB at no charge (there's a clue for you!) when you buy BIAB so you can try it yourself and see what you think.

The one thing I almost like about RB is that it can generate RealTracks bar by bar. However, it is a very frustrating interface and even though I have tried several times I usually end up back in BIAB to generate my tracks.

JohnJohnJohn #312465 10/01/15 02:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I'm glad they include both.
To me BiaB is much 'clunkier' to generate in than RB (because of how I work; which is linear)
But BiaB does get the basic parts down and actually generated faster. So I use it for the initial basics, then flush it out in RB.
Then use whatever DAW you want to finish it.

The reason JohnJohnJohn 'almost likes' RB is one reason I won't NOT use it; the ability to surgically work with RealTracks and RealDrums. It never generates exactly what I want. So I regenerate what I don't like. Maybe even use the MultiRiff feature (another not found in BiaB) to generate 8 variations at once and then pick/choose and cut/paste what I want - where I want - how I want.
BiaB is more restricted (but deep in many ways), however, for me, RB is the go to variation. I like the linear, familiar interface.
No need to 'Freeze' tracks. Essentially every track is 'froze' unless you specifically regenerate it, edit it, etc. .. which is why I use BiaB to get the chords/style down .. then off to RB as soon as possible.

Last edited by rharv; 10/01/15 02:47 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
cklester #312480 10/01/15 04:24 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Many people have mentioned in earlier threads they like to begin a song in Band-in-a-Box to figure out song basics like the best styles (or styles), key signature, tempo, chord progression and song structure.

Once the song framework is understood, the Band-in-a-Box SGU song file can be saved and exported as a SGU file. The SGU file can be imported into RealBand then saved as a SEQ file which is the native file format for RealBand. BiaB is restricted to eight tracks while RealBand can have up to 48 tracks so you can easily use many more instrument sounds. RealBand follows a timeline so many people feel more comfortable with it. Real Band will let you regenerate RealTracks in sections as small as one measure. The RealBand "multiriff" feature generates up to eight selections so you can choose what you want faster.

To me the biggest difference between BiaB and RealBand is how track regeneration is handled. BiaB regenerates EVERYTHING when the regen button is pressed while RealBand regenerates only the selected area when the regen button is pressed. While it not as bad as it use to be it is very easy to regenerate a track in BiaB when you don't want to.

While RealBand performs most daw functions, many people prefer to move audio tracks to their favorite daw for additional editing, mixing and (possibly) mastering.

It is truely whatever workflow that works best for YOU!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
cklester #312490 10/01/15 05:23 PM
S
Expert
Expert
S
What can I say ? all of the above.
I think Biab is Peter's first born so it is the favorite, the promotion and selling is "all about" Biab everywhere you look, but the second born does not get much of the attention as it's not promoted.

Do you see Promos "by Callie - PG Music" in Realband Forum ?
this was the latest
RealBand 2015 has Arrived!
by Callie - PG Music

This is the latest video.

RealBand 2014 Full New Features Video
Date: 12/9/2013

You can buy RB standalone here but it's last years version.
http://www.pgmusic.com/realband.htm

I think RB has to come into a right of it's own and not just some add-on for BIAB that most users don't even know about.

Sure it has it's problem, which I try so hard to it get improved year after year. . , but until I can generate up realtracks in a sleek DAW I will stick with it.
Users that come to Biab after being accustomed to DAW's find Biab an incredibly steep learning curve, where as RB is a no brainer, you can SEE & TOUCH the tracks, all 48 of them.
Just like Suzi said "Tracks, Tracks, 48 Tracks !

So that's why I thought it needs to be Promoted www.realband.org

cklester #312515 10/02/15 01:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

BB is limited to just a handful of tracks. But it does a great job as a composing tool.

RB has more tracks available and the cool thing is not only do you get the handful of tracks BB started with, you can generate and save as many other tracks as you want.

I too agree that RB as a DAW still has a lot to be desired and for that reason I use Sonar to finish my projects.

So essentially, from the writing to the mixing is a 3 step process. BB>>RB>>X1

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
cklester #312545 10/02/15 04:18 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
My 2 cents.

This is a REALLY interesting topic. Learned a lot.

DE

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
cklester #312546 10/02/15 04:22 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Band-in-a-Box (BIAB) is designed to be a band, well, a small ensemble, that allows you to quickly enter chords and generate an arrangement to either quickly create a song, practice with, or even perform live with. Each time you play, it generates a slightly arrangement, to give it that live feel. Yes it has a lot of features that venture towards a DAW, but it is not (and I suspect never will be) a DAW; that's why PGMusic has RealBand. BIAB really is designed to be used "on-the-fly". It generates an arrangement with RealTracks very quickly and your are off and playing along. Sure it does a lot of other things, but at its heart, that's what it is designed to do.

With BIAB, you are able to "get together" with four or five (and with RealTracks) top-notch musicians and play along to your heart's content. Want to go back to bar five and start all over; they never complain. Want to play the song in a different style; a couple of clicks and your there.

Yes, you can create full arrangements and do a fair amount of tweaking to songs, but it really is designed to be a song creation, practice, and performance tool. BIAB has tools to allow you to play the parts you want to play in real time (for example, the Conductor feature).

RealBand is designed to be DAW, and is track-based, and is static. It's not going to introduce subtle changes every time you play. It will play exactly what you laid down. Nothing wrong with that, but I've yet to see live musicians play exactly the same every time in a live environment. RealBand will let you take the output of the band (because it will read BIAB files) and let you work on it, add more tracks, add more effects, double parts, record harmonies, change parts around, etc, but in the end, it's going to be a static performance to be captured to a WAV file for ultimate playback on some device (CD, streaming web, or MP3 player).

So, is one better than the other? It all depends upon what you are doing and what you are trying to achieve. I would say one is different from the other in purpose. Is a car better than a bicycle? Both provide transportation. The car certainly has more power and goes faster, but you can't just go anywhere with a car. If you are looking to experience nature in the middle of the woods, a car isn't going to do it for you. It just depends on what you are wanting to do.

I use BIAB often to sketch out ideas (because it's fast), to practice with, and browse styles. It's much faster doing those things with BIAB. If I decide I want to capture a performance for posterity, then it's off to RealBand.

If you like one over the other, then use that one. I don't think we should diminish RealBand because it comes free with BIAB. PowerTracks, which is not free, does the same thing RealBand does, minus a lot of the BIAB features (although it includes more now than it used to), because it doesn't make sense to have BIAB feature unless you also have BIAB to go along with it (styles, soloists, melodists, RealTracks, chord progression engine, etc.) So PowerTracks is sold stand-alone. But it just makes sense then that RealBand go along with BIAB and it's really just part of the overall BIAB package, not just a free add-in. If you just want the DAW parts of RealBand without the BIAB features, then you can purchase PowerTracks for a lot less than purchasing the BIAB/RealBand package, but to get RealBand, you need to purchase Band-in-a-Box, because the two work hand-in-hand.

Is RealBand a Sonar (or a Cubase or a ProTools or a Studio One or even a Reaper)? No, but try getting a pedal steel guitar arrangement to sound right across any chord progression using Sonar or Reaper (when you don't actually have a live player to record). RealBand can do that in a couple of seconds.

And nothing wrong with starting in BIAB or even RealBand and exporting to a different DAW. Would it be nice if we ultimately get Rewire (hint, hint)? Sure, but until then, you are just manually doing what Rewire accomplishes automatically (using multiple tools to feed into a single tool achieve the end result).

Just my $0.02 worth on the two products, and those $0.02 seem to be worth less and less each day. smile

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
cklester #312603 10/02/15 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
So much great input on this thread. Thanks, guys 'n' gals!!!

I'm really, really liking BIAB and RB. I have Cubase AI 8 installed, and I really like it, as well, and it seems I might need Cubase to supplement my BB/RB development for specific, "more-advanced" things. However, I suspect that's because I don't know how to do everything in RB as of yet. Things like automation, EQ, etc., seem to be easier in Cubase. Maybe someone will prove me wrong... :-D

BIAB Audiophile 2016 for Windows, Cubase LE AI Elements, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Axium Mini-Air 32, UR22, Alesis Monitors, AT2020
jford #312667 10/02/15 02:05 PM
Veteran
Veteran
This statement made me realize a 'sidenote' difference .. not so much as how they operate, but another reason why you may choose one over the other.
Quote:
RealBand is designed to be DAW, and is track-based, and is static. It's not going to introduce subtle changes every time you play. It will play exactly what you laid down. Nothing wrong with that, but I've yet to see live musicians play exactly the same every time in a live environment.

When I am making a CD, I don't want it to be different every time!
When practicing/jamming/solo performing this may be good, but for a CD the end listener is going to hear it the same every time, so the project should be approached as such. In this case RB is the logical choice.

cklester #312723 10/03/15 02:00 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Here's another take on this. I use RB because I use multiple hardware and software polyphonic synths. For example, using a Yamaha Motif, I can assign up to 16 instruments on 16 separate tracks using RB. This can't be done with BIAB.

Paul Warren's excellent add-on MidiReDirect helps expand this capability in BIAB. But, in my opinion, RB, or another DAW, is the only way I have found to get around BIAB's track limitations.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
MountainSide #312755 10/03/15 03:32 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Good point.
To expand on that, with RB you can also have multiple MIDI ports. At one point we used a Delta 1010, Soundblaster and USB for MIDI, giving us 48 channels (16 X 3 ports). The Port feature of RB is nice to have sometimes too.
/The Soundblaster didn't make the move to this system so currently only 32 MIDI channels available.

JohnJohnJohn #312762 10/03/15 04:02 AM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Personally I find RB to be totally inadequate as a DAW! Very old and clunky interface. Slow to load songs and even slow to do simple things like scroll the track screen!

I've never had a problem with RB interface being old, clunky, or being slow to load songs, so I wonder if this is related to the computer that it's being used on, or the methods that are being used?
If I compose in BiaB and want to take it to RB, I open the BiaB song in RB and then save it as a RB song (.SEQ file). After that, just open the SEQ file, it's virtually instant.

I think it's fair to say that most users create their material initially in BiaB and then take it to RB if / when required.

Yes, there are other DAWs available, but there in no other DAW on this planet that can do what RealBand does. Period.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #312830 10/03/15 10:58 AM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I've never had a problem with RB interface being old, clunky, or being slow to load songs, so I wonder if this is related to the computer that it's being used on, or the methods that are being used?

I am using a state-of-the-art computer and when using more modern software, like Reaper 5 or the latest Photoshop CC, everything works beautifully! The interface on most of my software is smooth as silk with scrolling and other window tasks working flawlessly.

Then I load up RealBand, load a BIAB song and...wait. After it finally loads I start noticing problems.

Even though the song was frozen in BIAB, some sections are not playing the same riffs on the RealTracks!

And then I notice that my BIAB bar settings are ignored by RB so that work was for naught!

And when I try to scroll using the mouse scroll wheel it is...well it is just a joke! Scroll a little and then wait a little for it to catch up! I assume this is simply not programmed correctly because, as I said, my modern software all works fine with the scroll wheel.

Then I notice idiosyncrasies in the GUI that are just painful to have to slog through. I click inside the style field and the whole thing locks up and Windows reports it has crashed but if I give it about 30 seconds it will hide RealBand main window and then pop up a windowed titled "Select Style Prototype Style=stylefilename". The whole interface is just as odd and eccentric as BIAB but, unfortunately, the two are not even very similar!

So, I totally stand by my comment that RealBand is totally inadequate as a DAW with a very old and clunky interface! And regarding your comment that "there in no other DAW on this planet that can do what RealBand does" that is only true relative to the single function of generating RealTracks. Other than that single function RB, could never succeed as a modern DAW.

As others have advised here, I avoid RB unless I need to use it just to generate RealTrack options I cannot get in BIAB. Then I always move to a real DAW for my mixing/mastering.

cklester #312849 10/03/15 12:41 PM
S
Expert
Expert
S

I can use Realband with PowerTracks, I can open in PowerTracks an SEQ made in Realband or a UserTrack and simply highlight the bar/s of a chord/s and drag the Audio/Midi straight into Realband.

(Just change the default out of the temp root in your Audio Settings first to:
RB
AppData/Local/Temp/Realband

PT
AppData/Local/Temp/PowerTracks)

cklester #312959 10/04/15 06:49 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I use BIAB writing and putting the song together, RB to audition, generate and occasionally edit RT's. I use Reaper to mix and edit more there than I do in RB.

There are folks who use RB as a DAW quite well.

For me, Reaper's features are easier to use in my workflow and it works on my computer with fewer glitches. However, I do have to run it in admin so it's not a totally glitch free DAW either.

If you're used to Cubase and happy with it, you'll probably find yourself mostly using RB to generate RTs.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,641
Posts735,363
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.