Page 1 of 2 1 2
#314582 10/15/15 03:36 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Need I say more?

..............................Law and Order

RealDrums in track: FusionBusyTerryClarke^1Sticks (solo section only)
....................FunkHalfNotePulse

Aleck Rand: Other instruments

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Fine performance. You are on a roll. Enjoyed this.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dean,

"McLaughin is in the house" You sure can play

enjoyed

Alyn

User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
I really enjoy your talent, you can sure make that guitar sing and I am assuming that you are also playing the keyboard. Great stuff!
Sonny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Way up there Dean. I really liked the discordant feel about this one. An interesting fusion style. Nice axe work for sure.
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
gibson #314608 10/16/15 12:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
Dean,

"McLaughin is in the house" You sure can play

enjoyed

Alyn

Well done Sir.
Rob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very sweet Guitar tone. I am confused by the legal notice, though. Maybe I dense. (No, I am sure I am.) BUT--anyway, is that legal notice humorous or is it a real warning. Sorry, that threw me..

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dean,

man, you really can play!
It's a real pleasure to listen
to your soloing.
The arrangement is good, too, of course.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dean, amazing work once again. I too thought of McLaughin. Spectacular guitar. A Great Listen! Tom

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi David,

A great question! I'll try to keep the details to a minimum. When I first joined the Forum as a jazz musician, I chafed at the provision barring "covers" because the term, frankly, insults the genre just as much as it would if applied to classical music:

The New York Philharmonic will tonight perform a cover of Beethoven's ...

I mean, gimme a break. The whole idea of jazz is to create, spontaneously, on the fly, in real time a new melody that "fits" the chords. Most musicians - even world-class players - cannot do this. Moreover, you better be sure that your improvised replacement melody is more interesting than the original melody of the song. Otherwise, why bother? Just play the original melody over again. The entire emphasis is on the changes, reharmonizing them, and on the solos. I'm not "covering" any other guy's solo, man. That's the whole point.

So the question became: How to stream legally my interpretations of the compositions of others. The oldest and largest institution that manages copyright protection for musicians, composers, lyricists, etc. is ASCAP. Keeping up with the times, they figured out a way to let musicians interpret, perform and stream any of the 9,000,000 or so tunes in their book. My ASCAP license number is found in my signature. It gives me, not ownership of the tune, but the legal right to stream it without download capability.

Nevertheless, some Forum members (who, as far as I know, are not lawyers) have expressed doubts about legality of this license, which costs about $250/year. I'm confident that ASCAP's legal team knows what their doing. And there is also the "fair use" doctrine, which I won't get into, but with which I am in compliance. My posts are intended for pedagogical use only.

Despite all this, the final bend-over-backwards is the unconditional permission I give to Forum members (see below) to contact the moderators or Peter Gannon himself asserting that I am in violation and requesting the removal of the offending post. I endorse any such request. My signature is simply neutral information about my due diligence: neither humor nor warning.

Aleck Rand (aka Dean Clark)

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
tommyad #314641 10/16/15 06:22 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Tom,

A numberof people have mentioned McLaughlin. But, I'll tell you something and I know a lot of players who agree, if you take a random point in any of his solos, you'll hear something more or less like having chosen any other random point. To me, John is a non-melodic improviser. Chops? Well, he's untouchable, of course, but I ask, "Where's the beef?" Like those fast-talking disclaimers on TV, my first reaction is "Wow!" followed by "Uh ... Whad'e say?"

Frankly, I think the emphasis on "chops" has gotten out of hand. In one note, Gene Ammons could say more on his tenor than I could in a million-note solo. I even invented a Chinese proverb emphasizing that the guitar is a limited voice (apologies to my Asian colleagues on the Forum for this stereotypic delivery; no insult intended).

The proverb: "Man with guitar run into man with saxophone like man with guitar run into tree chipper."

After all, what other instrument requires so many prosthetic devices (stomp boxes, effects pedals, processors, etc.) to make it work?

It's a tremendous compliment to even be mentioned in the same breath as McL. But it would also be good if listeners could hear what I'm trying to be: a melodic improviser that plays accessible ideas that you can sink your teeth into. The way I look at it, chops are the means to the end, not the end itself. Of course, folks are free to disagree. This is just a personal thing. My rant is over.

Dean

SRP #314691 10/16/15 12:52 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Sonny,

Really glad you liked this. I'm pretty reserved and it's hard for me to list myself as playing all other instruments (except the RealDrums) but the truth is that I do. Keys, bass, guitar. I think of myself more as an arranger than anything else and a good arranger has to play a lot of instruments. I mean, he or she doesn't have to burn the joint down on every single instrument but I think you need more than just a casual knowledge of, at the very least, piano and bass.

Thanks for listening and asking.

Dean

boehm #314692 10/16/15 01:00 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you Guenter. It's always great to get a positive review from a serious artist and sharp-eared critic. And let me thank you again for making it possible for me to hear what you did in that mixing contest.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Late to the party but I'm glad that I came.

All I can add is that I really liked this one.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great Version, Great Playin!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Dean
What a great arrangement and performance! Just fabulous!
SD

Tommyc #314766 10/17/15 05:33 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hold on a minute. Tommyc ... I just saw this name somewhere else ... Tommy ... Cole. Tommy are you the guy whose site on SC I visited last night? I listened and watched as the FUNK-O-METER started smoking and then shaking and then melting. The needle banged crazily against the end of the red zone and then stuck there for a moment before the gadget liquefied. As everything went black, I thought I heard someone say, "Damn!" or "Call 911" or something like that ... then I snapped awake.

Forget it. Strange things happen at 2 AM. Thanks Tommyc for the kind remarks.

Dean

MarioD #314768 10/17/15 05:41 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Mario,

Good to see you again. I hope all's well. The Law and Order theme is a real burner and I wish I could find more like it. If you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Hey Mario,

Good to see you again. I hope all's well. The Law and Order theme is a real burner and I wish I could find more like it. If you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Dean

Hi Dean,

I have been extremely busy the last month or so. I had 4 projects that I was working on as well as getting things ready for winter, thus I had very little time to listen. I hope the rush is over!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Always loved that theme, and you took it over the top!! On a forum with a huge number of great players, in my mind you sit at the very top Dean. Amazing guitar playing. I thought that flame on your avatar was just a special effect but now I wonder if it was spontaneous. This is incredible!! Here is a link to one of my favorite guitar solos of all time. You may know it. Take care. Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGxEvaeApkI

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,643
Posts735,394
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.