Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#326878 - 12/22/15 11:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: John Payne]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Thanks John, It is great to hear about people using BIAB for live gigs. I will start out simple like you are with more or less the same setup of BIAB live running on a new notebook running Win 7, a small 6 input mixer which can take both BIAB feed and phono inputs for guitar etc, a Godin guitar as well and a simple guitar amp or two. I will test it once I get the songs polished up a little better. I will advertise it as a jazz jam inviting others to come. Hopefully they can bring their instrument only and plug into the mixing board. If the jamming idea gets popular I was thinking I might need a 2nd notebook to take an audacity recording from a mike out front to do a quick check on what the audience hears since it would likely be different every time (adjusting the mixer as needed). If the jazz jam idea does not seem to attract many players and after a few weeks it always seems to be only BIAB and myself providing the music then hopefully the restaurant/bars business increases enough to keep it up. Keeping it simple is certainly the way to go. I think I would only make it more complex if jammers who are into jazz rock or funk show up. In that case I may get a guitar synth. It should be a fun project. Maybe in a few months from now I can report back with some useful info.

Have a great Christmas,
John Bowles

Edited by bowlesj (12/22/15 11:25 AM)

#326951 - 12/22/15 02:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice thread. Good to see lots of people out gigging, and using Band-in-a-Box.

#326986 - 12/22/15 05:42 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: PeterGannon]
John Payne Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Rockwall, TX, USA
Good luck with jam. I have from one to three guys play with me. Just depends on who shows up.

I've turned another sax player friend on to the product who been running a rig very much like mine for the past 3 years or so and he gets pretty steady work.

BIAB has a real-time Conductor function which "should" work well in a live jam session as it "should" allow you to seamlessly add or remove choruses while a song is playing.

But, it turns out that though Conductor works perfectly for MIDI files, it pauses and does other flaky things with endings when using Real Tracks. Unusable.

I've commented on this via the forums several times over the years and have upgraded every year hoping ... but never a fix. I guess whatever the problem is must be tough to deal with.

Oh well, BIAB is still a great product when one considers all the things that do work great and the great sound you can get running through a good PA.

#327032 - 12/23/15 03:06 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: John Payne]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Thanks John, If this project continues for me I have a jazz guitar student who will probably show up. I have a friend who turned me on to BIAB who may show as well. I am wondering if some audience members may prefer the jams and others may prefer it without the added players. I guess time will tell.

#327532 - 12/25/15 01:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: bowlesj]
AlastairLC Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
A question for all you BIAB live users: what's the best PA system for playing BIAB through (viz., clear, clean reproduction within a reasonable size/weight unit)?
I see references here to Fender Passport (speakers look too small to me), Behringer Ultratone K3000FX (70lbs, no thanks), and Mackie. Has anybody tried the Behringer Ultratone KXD15, Harbinger Vari V2115, or Mackie Thump? (I'm partial to 12" speakers for the bass.)
And for you guitarists, how does your axe sound through a PA sustem? Can you leave your guitar amp at home?
Xmas cheers!

#327586 - 12/25/15 08:50 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: AlastairLC]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
I have been through quite a few different systems in the past 10 years or so and IMHO the Bose LII I am using now can't be beat.

Of course as our old friend Mac would say, "your mileage my vary."

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#327590 - 12/25/15 09:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: AlastairLC]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
I'm a keyboardist, (Casio PX5s), and my amp/speaker is the Center Point Stereo Space Station V3. The SS V3 is great for small to medium sized gigs. I also use a small mixer. Minimal set-up and sound is great. Ray

#327673 - 12/26/15 08:50 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live/Behringer EPS500MP3 [Re: raymb1]
earl kirby Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Thinking of getting off my butt and going back to playing the small restaurants and service clubs etc. I'm into the standards and trad country. Need a amplification system and I've been looking real hard at the Behringer EPS500MP3 . At $400 its affordable. Question is, will it handle the bass? And if not how do I split the bass out to a separate bass amp? I'm 71 and really don't want to carry anything more than necesary but also don't want to be embarrassed with weak sound.

#327804 - 12/26/15 08:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
jt3 Offline
Apprentice

we do use biab live and have been for 6 to 8 yrs. we arrange the song and put the words in as a reference points. I can play my on lead or fiddle or mandolin. I use a harmonizer which I send a biab from monitor out. as far as a video I did one for a song I posted on FB. We normally use a mixer run into a pair of Bose towers. we have run threw much bigger set up with SP2,s and 18" subs. biab live works well for us
John

#327832 - 12/27/15 03:56 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: AlastairLC]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: AlastairLC
A question for all you BIAB live users: what's the best PA system for playing BIAB through (viz., clear, clean reproduction within a reasonable size/weight unit)?
I see references here to Fender Passport (speakers look too small to me), Behringer Ultratone K3000FX (70lbs, no thanks), and Mackie. Has anybody tried the Behringer Ultratone KXD15, Harbinger Vari V2115, or Mackie Thump? (I'm partial to 12" speakers for the bass.)
And for you guitarists, how does your axe sound through a PA sustem? Can you leave your guitar amp at home?
Xmas cheers!

“Behringer Ultratone KXD15, Harbinger Vari V2115, or Mackie Thump?”

Given those choices, I would go with the Mackie.

At $269 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Thump12) and 29 pounds, it should do you. You will probably need a stand, and be aware that the 12” Thump only claims 50Hz, on the low end. For another $30 (and another 4 lbs.) you could get the 15, which claims a low end of 32Hz.

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#328230 - 12/29/15 09:21 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
AlastairLC Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I went down to the local Guitar Center yesterday, BIAB-loaded IPad in hand, to test out their various PA units. I settled on the QSC K12 active loudspeaker. Wow, what a difference from my old stereo system or guitar amp! I'm hearing sounds coming from the BIAB instruments I never heard before.
It costs more than the units I was thinking about, but its much clearer and more compact.(QSC also makes K8s and K10s that are a bit cheaper.)
So if you're looking for a great player of your BIAB backing tracks, I highly recommend this unit.

#328232 - 12/29/15 09:35 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: AlastairLC]
John Payne Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Rockwall, TX, USA
I expect that any decent PA system will work well with BIAB live. Just need enough power and speaker for the venue, and that depends on the room. For instance the Mackie SRM's sound great at home especially with a small subwoofer which makes the real-tracks stand-up bass sound real. At the restaurant / club those smallish Mackie's still work great, but the subwoofer in that room sound boomy. I usually fly one speaker up on a stand about 4 feet then use the other from the floor behind me - so it's also a monitor.

As for guitar, I mostly play nylon string type guitars which in my opinion need "hi-fi", so with the addition of a small bit of compression and delay/reverb, I just play through the PA. An added benefit of playing through one system is easy to balance and control the overall sound, which I think is very important for restaurant gigs.

I've upgraded every year and from my experience BIAB has been rock stable for live gigs for at least 5 years.

#337905 - 02/23/16 11:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
lambada Online   embarrased
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Hi All

Just re-read this wonderful thread and it made me realise how lucky I am to be in this 'family', to have the tools available to me in 2016 and the experience of so many to help me with my passion.

I did my first solo gig with BIAB2016 on Saturday and it went reasonably well. I learnt a huge amount and made a fair few mistakes. Drunks were my biggest problem. I'm not sure which is worse, being bowled over by drunk woman or helped out by drunk men, but I know which I preferred! I also made the mistake of trying to be a DJ and Karaoke DJ at the same time. Never again or at least not yet. "We want Abba, we want Maroon...., we want Motorhead (for goodness sake) etc etc.

Anyway, it took far too long to set up but I had given myself plenty of time. Nearly had a minor heart attack when a loose connection developed on a PA speaker and some feedback from poor placement, and a major one on the mysterious disappearance of my guitar strap an hour before the gig. I reckon the waiters took it away with some linen. Fortunately, I had a screwdriver and pliers so we created one out of string and guitar case strap. Now I will always take 2 straps.

BIAB behaved very well but my PA died at one point. Cheap Chinese built, South Korean brand. To be replaced by an Aspen SS3 I suspect. My Voicelive 2 froze at one point but the midi patch changing and harmonies worked perfectly from BIAB with that one exception.

I video'd it for my education (depression) and you can see BIAB on the tablet behind. BIAB is playing 'favourites' through the jukebox perfectly with no delays. Nothing is frozen.

I realise I need to do some work on the mixes but bear in mind that the video camera is off to the right near a table. Everyone was so damn.... noisy :-). I don't think the live sound was quite so muffled.

I don't smile enough and for some stupid reason I always look at my guitar when I solo, just a habit to be stopped. My song choice could have been more varied, louder and less backing tracks - might remove any guitar, my vocals were too soft, solos not loud enough, but the feedback from the crowd was good.

Anyway, enjoy and constructive criticism will be much appreciated. eek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NByBHfAo608

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wysG_yKDSEE

Neil

Edited by lambada (02/23/16 11:56 PM)
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#337939 - 02/24/16 09:56 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
DrDUBose Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Greater Boston
You looked great, Neil. Absolutely marvelous. Very professional. Not sure what was so, in terms of your overall mix that may be compromised by how the video was recorded, but the backing tracks could have been boosted for a more balanced mix. They seemed to be way into the background. Curious, did you try to do a sound check before beginning to check your balance of sound sources? Thanks for sharing... And keep rockin' the house!

music at
http://www.bandmix.com/drdubose

#337969 - 02/24/16 02:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Neil, I suspect the high background noise was only due to the mic placement on camera. It was probably closer to the crowd than it was to the PA. Also, some camera mic's tend to have an accentuated high frequency response, while losing out on the low and mid range, hence the background 'din'

Did you feel that the PA was driving hard enough?
Did you have a foldback that might have 'masked' your perception of how loud the PA was?

Don't be too critical of yourself, I never saw one tomato!
Good job
Trevor

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

PG Music News
New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27507 Members
50 Forums
51802 Topics
427985 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
jcbush13, Bernman48066, jycjones01, BOSS RV-3 DD/R, bcprods

27507 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 436
zedd 193