Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
The choice of development environment has little or no bearing on the resultant functionality.

Object Pascal is anything but a dated language. It has always been and is still under very active development. The latest RAD Studio is Seattle, released just a few months ago. It includes cross-platform capabilities, giving Multi-Device application support.

I understand your intentions are good, but porting to a different language won't deliver the results I think you are expecting. And certainly won't deliver anything quickly - far from it.

Could the User Interface do with some work? Well, yes. Like all active products, users expect to see regular enhancements.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: roslon
If everything is in one big main unit and the GUI elements are being accessed from within the procedures which do all of the musical functions then yes it would be quite an undertaking and a nightmare to maintain.

Given the program's legacy this would be my guess.

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
johnjohnjohn " get the whole thing converted to a VSTi that I can use in my DAW!"
that could not be hard to do as realband\data\bbw2.exe generates up the tracks then lays them in real band that is a daw - initializing accompaniment functions is starting bbw2.exe up that appears to be much the same as bb\bbw.exe band in a box.

videotrack "Object Pascal is anything but a dated language"
is delphi the best to be using for this ? I just wonder why the other daw applications are using c++ and not delphi - is it the personal choice of the person programming since the 90's or is there a reason why c++ could not work for them ? is delphi easier than c++ ? there is a big forum somewhere on band in a box 64 where people are wanting a new interface rather than the dated one would delphi do this ok ? if so why is it not there yet as requested by many but the interface on the ones listed above using c++ are very modern.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

videotrack "Object Pascal is anything but a dated language"
is delphi the best to be using for this ? I just wonder why the other daw applications are using c++ and not delphi - is it the personal choice of the person programming since the 90's or is there a reason why c++ could not work for them ? is delphi easier than c++ ? there is a big forum somewhere on band in a box 64 where people are wanting a new interface rather than the dated one would delphi do this ok ? if so why is it not there yet as requested by many but the interface on the ones listed above using c++ are very modern.

Pieline,
I think I see where you are coming from, but I really believe you don't quite grasp the programming side of things. I'm guessing that because you saw DAW's whose interfaces you liked better and noticed that they were written in C++, that the best/only way to write a good DAW is to use C++.

C++ doesn't produce better graphics or better programs than Object Pascal (Delphi). They're both high-level languages. Down in the nuts and bolts, they all utilize Graphics Objects, I/O routines, Metafiles and more that are exposed by the Windows Operating System.

Here's an analogy:
An author wants to write a best seller. He can use a PC or a MAC to write it.
Will the book be a better seller because he used a MAC? Of course not. It will only be as good as the author's writing style and creativity, not the editor he produced it with.

Hope this explains it more clearly.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
I'm still unclear as to the reasons why they use c++ and not delphi ? - if you could give some examples of daw's that are using delphi with good interfaces and operation so I could compare and get an idea of what it is capable of it might help me to understand more than what I do. I don't think it is just about interfaces as said before there are many other problems. I'm just at a lost as to why they use C++ and not delphi.

Expert
Expert
What is your professional background?

Do you develop software, if yes on which level
- Design
- Code
- Test?

Do you know any programming language at a working level?
Better: Do you know more than two programming languages at a professional working level?

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Apprentice
Apprentice
I believe that FL Studio is written in Delphi. It certainly used to be.

Regards.
Mike.

Mike.

SongBrain - AI Generator
Shiny Emeralds - Latest Single

Win 10 Home 64bit - Ryzen7 3700x / 32Gb
BIAB / RB 2024 For Windows
EWQL Composer Cloud X
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Well, I would say you have it backwards. Go onto your DAW's forum and ask them why can't they be a slave to Biab's host?

My point is DAW's along with Biab have always been master host programs. They're not designed to be slaves.

Bob

Baloney!:) there is no need to ask a DAW to support my Kontakt instrument library because it is already designed to a standard! if PG designed the RealTracks to be a VSTi it would become something universal that would work with any DAW!

This is a brilliant idea! RTs could become as universal as MIDI and I would expect that PGMusic's sales would skyrocket!

Actually if they could produce a VSTi RT player where one would input the chords and it would generate RTs they could sell it as a separate product.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
GHinCH "What is your professional background?"

Sanitation Engineer
1.Industrial Level
2.Home Level
3.Street Level

Attack the new guy or welcome the new guy as there might be some truth that hurts a bit to hear ? that's why I said

""They could keep the existing band in a box how it is 32 for the older users that have been accustomed to it's interface for the last 20 years and make a new modern version that can be used like band in a box but in an audio workstation like real band in a new c++ 64 application""

Mike R "I believe that FL Studio is written in Delphi. It certainly used to be."
It is strange what it is written in.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
DIE FLStudio.jpg (96.8 KB, 380 downloads)
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Well, I would say you have it backwards. Go onto your DAW's forum and ask them why can't they be a slave to Biab's host?

My point is DAW's along with Biab have always been master host programs. They're not designed to be slaves.

Bob

Baloney!:) there is no need to ask a DAW to support my Kontakt instrument library because it is already designed to a standard! if PG designed the RealTracks to be a VSTi it would become something universal that would work with any DAW!

This is a brilliant idea! RTs could become as universal as MIDI and I would expect that PGMusic's sales would skyrocket!

Actually if they could produce a VSTi RT player where one would input the chords and it would generate RTs they could sell it as a separate product.

In my opinion PG has one HUGE challenge and one HUGE opportunity!

The challenge is converting decades old code to something with a modern GUI abnd 64 bit. It will almost certainly require a major rewrite in logic, code, GUI, etc. Even if they accomplish this they only end up with version X of BIAB.

The opportunity is to build a VSTi version of BIAB! This would also require a large effort but they could leave out a ton a legacy features and functionality that would not be needed in a VSTi. If I could add BIAB RealTracks to individual tracks in my DAW...man oh man that would be heaven! In the pop up VSTi window there would be the ability to select a RealTrack instrument and enter chords in bars and generate/regenerate on command. Maybe the BIAB track(s) could even display chords in my DAW to serve as the "guide" track for the whole song!

This would be so cool and would instantly open up an enormous new market for PG! And they could continue selling the regular BIAB for those who love the classic interface!

Apprentice
Apprentice
[img]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FL_Studio[/img]

Still shows delphi. What is the detector you are using to determine the code base, it might just be detecting a wrapper rather than the native code perhaps ?

FL may have changed to C++ but it certainly used to be coded in delphi for many years and has a neat and fast interface although non standard windows look and feel.

Mike.

SongBrain - AI Generator
Shiny Emeralds - Latest Single

Win 10 Home 64bit - Ryzen7 3700x / 32Gb
BIAB / RB 2024 For Windows
EWQL Composer Cloud X
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
"The opportunity is to build a VSTi version of BIAB! This would also require a large effort but they could leave out a ton a legacy features and functionality that would not be needed in a VSTi. If I could add BIAB RealTracks to individual tracks in my DAW...man oh man that would be heaven! In the pop up VSTi window there would be the ability to select a RealTrack instrument and enter chords in bars and generate/regenerate on command. Maybe the BIAB track(s) could even display chords in my DAW to serve as the "guide" track for the whole song! "

What you are describing as a VST is how RB works with Biab. PGMusic can save a ton of R&D and money just by you learning RealBand and switching over to using it. Alternately, one can already click DAW Plug-in MODE in BIAB and drag ever how many files or regenerations of tracks that you want to into any DAW? What is the payoff to PGMusic to undertake such a huge effort that is at best, promoting a competitor's DAW over RealBand?

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Expert
It is not attacking, but to get to know the background of somebody who says you need to drive this car to be better.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
"The opportunity is to build a VSTi version of BIAB! This would also require a large effort but they could leave out a ton a legacy features and functionality that would not be needed in a VSTi. If I could add BIAB RealTracks to individual tracks in my DAW...man oh man that would be heaven! In the pop up VSTi window there would be the ability to select a RealTrack instrument and enter chords in bars and generate/regenerate on command. Maybe the BIAB track(s) could even display chords in my DAW to serve as the "guide" track for the whole song! "

What you are describing as a VST is how RB works with Biab. PGMusic can save a ton of R&D and money just by you learning RealBand and switching over to using it. Alternately, one can already click DAW Plug-in MODE in BIAB and drag ever how many files or regenerations of tracks that you want to into any DAW? What is the payoff to PGMusic to undertake such a huge effort that is at best, promoting a competitor's DAW over RealBand?

Well, first, they don't gain a single new customer by me "learning RealBand and switching over to using it"! Not one new customer there! I already use and love BIAB!

And second, let me blunt, RealBand is not a great DAW! I doubt it could even survive as a stand-alone DAW product without RealTracks. So again, very few new customers available to PG that are interested in giving up their modern 64-bit DAW for RealBand!

Third, the DAW plug-in mode you describe sounds interesting but there are so many inconsistencies and warts in BIAB that I would never bother when I can just as easily render my tracks to then use in my DAW. And again, no new customers for this feature!

So that leaves us with a new VSTi version of RealTracks. This would directly compete with huge sellers like Native and everyone else selling VSTi products. It would work in every DAW. Convincing someone to buy a new VSTi is certainly not a big task while convincing them to drop their DAW for an old one that supports RealTracks...well that is never gonna happen!

So there you have it. An almost unlimited supply of new customers who would buy a RealTracks VSTi for their DAW vs. just continuing to sell the DOS/Win3/Win95 patched up product to us old-timers (until we stop buying it of course!)

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Mike R you could be right that's maybe why they can't port to Mac only a crossover wrapped version as c++ should be portable to any platform.

Thank you johnjohnjohn +111111 I will now hand you the wheel.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
And also let me blunt, I considered going ahead in my initial comment to address the "RealBand is not a great DAW!" arguement. To be blunt again, I saw that one coming a mile away! Name a single mainstream DAW that has not undergone upgrades, rewrites and enhancements. Protools is up to version 12. Reaper did not use to be a very stable and good DAW. Sonar is ramped up Music Creator. There are folks out there making music as good as most anybody with Audacity. All of those programs are better today than they were in earlier years. Realband is getting better too.
I've had Music Creator, Cool Edit, Studio One Professional, Protools 6, 7., Cubase and there have been stability or compatibility issues with each and every one of them at some point.

I didn't advance answer the RB not a great DAW for three reasons. 1. I saw it coming and decided to wait until now. 2. The post is about a VSTi version of BIAB. BIAB is not a DAW. Realband is only relevant because as poorly as you think it performs, it integrates superbly with Biab in the manner you want it to work with other DAW's as a VSTi. and is there for you to use. 3. Terms such as universal, plug & play and works with every DAW seem to be more marketing tools than absolutes. Think of the time setting everything up, drivers, asio, MME, latency, crashes, porting, firewire vs USB, USB2 vs USB3, dongles, activations, passwords and user accounts. Heaven is always just a sin away. The imagination much brighter than the reality. And the reality is that for many, the VSTi version may not be any more stable than RealBand is now.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
"RealBand is not a great DAW!" arguement. To be blunt again, I saw that one coming a mile away!

cause you know it is true? laugh

Name a single mainstream DAW that has not undergone upgrades, rewrites and enhancements...Realband is getting better too.

not fast enough for me and the thousand of others who use more modern DAWs!

Heaven is always just a sin away. The imagination much brighter than the reality.

Is that any reason not to dream and aim high?

And the reality is that for many, the VSTi version may not be any more stable than RealBand is now.

Well that would be a real concern if I were PG. I have used dozens of plugins in several DAWs and for the most part they work quite well. The market would certainly not accept a RealTracks VSTi that is not stable.

My main point in suggesting a VSTi is to build on what PG has done best! Namely, RealTracks and the way they create them, time-stretch them, transpose them, integrate them into my chord progressions, etc. That is nothing short of BRILLIANT! It is far more brilliant than any DAW on the market that I have seen. It is far more brilliant than any VSTi I have used so far!

In their RealTracks, PG has something truly amazing that would set the music world on fire when compared to sample libraries where I still have to play the parts entirely! But they need a way to get this brilliance into the hands of people making music and I honestly believe yearly patches to the current GUI will never do that! On the other hand, a new VSTi version of RealTracks would be the product of the year or maybe the decade!

C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
My main point in suggesting a VSTi is to build on what PG has done best! Namely, RealTracks and the way they create them, time-stretch them, transpose them, integrate them into my chord progressions, etc. That is nothing short of BRILLIANT! It is far more brilliant than any DAW on the market that I have seen. It is far more brilliant than any VSTi I have used so far!

In their RealTracks, PG has something truly amazing that would set the music world on fire when compared to sample libraries where I still have to play the parts entirely! But they need a way to get this brilliance into the hands of people making music and I honestly believe yearly patches to the current GUI will never do that! On the other hand, a new VSTi version of RealTracks would be the product of the year or maybe the decade!

I couldn't agree more.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
RealTracks ARE awesome! But comparing them to a VSTi program is not a fair comparison. By definition VSTi is a sound generator and can only sound as good as the midi commands let it sound. RealTracks are a collection of audio phrases. The genius is not just the sound but the arrangement the musician follows, the recording and mixing engineers dedication to creating the right sounds AND the (BiaB) program's audio engine capability to compile the phrases into something that is both pleasing and coherent. To me that is truely magical.

Would a laser focused VSTi with the capability described above be great? You betcha'. Would it be the equal of megabucks VSTis like Kontakt? Perhaps but it would be a huge gamble for a small music company like PG Music. But, I don't think the VSTi program would be compared to another VSTi. I think it would be compared against audio loops and against loops RealTracks and a VSTi does not fare as well because loops and RealTracks both rely on audio phrases.

Compare RealTracks and BiaB against VSTi and PG Music "wins" because it is an apple versus oranges comparison. Compare RealTracks and BiaB against loops and you have a much more level match up. PG Music doesn't "win" but it doesn't lose either. They just get to compete against every other company that makes Acidized and Rex loops.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
So we are all settled on a vsti version and a 64 bit c++ audio workstation version I will mark that as confirmed. The existing delphi32 version as stated will still be available for the older users and the 64 bit c++ audio workstation will also be ported to Macintosh.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,342
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182