Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
...without me having to map or manage or enter many settings - just the one that changes which synth is in use (or close to it).

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hardware or software synth? Price no object or within a price range? When you stated you don't want to "map or manage many settings" to me that means you want it to be general midi compliant or for PG Music to have a patch map available for download.

The most inexpensive solution is likely a software solution. Two choices are Coyote Forte and Roland TTS-1. Coyote is available from PG Music while TTS-1 is included with any Sonar (Cakewalk) product.

Hardware choices are keyboards that include sound modules and sound modules. Both are available used or new at prices ranging from $10 (yardsale) to $$$$$$$$$$$$$. The two most popular high end sound modules are Integra by Roland and Motif by Yamaha. PG Music sells a sound module made by Ketron. It has a good reputation for good sound at a reasonable price.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
...in my mind only one very short answer is needed here! I am surprised you would not already know the answer. crazy

Coyote Forte Dxi

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
The Roland Canvas softsynth is supposed to be a very good sounding GM/GS softsynth:
http://www.roland.ca/products/sound_canvas_va/

Note that I have no experience with this sound source.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
The Roland Canvas softsynth is supposed to be a very good sounding GM/GS softsynth:

That's interesting MarioD. Soundcanvas has a pretty big reputation. It's only $125, too. Hmmm....

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm a big Roland fan, and the Sound Canvas series in general. I really want to try this, but the "Reminder" section concerns me;
"No plugin bridge will enable to run 32bit SOUND Canvas VA on 64bit OS/DAW environment."

Just thought I'd mention it. Has anyone with 64 bit OS used this?
It wouldn't bother me if they meant it ran only as a 32bit app, but if it can't run in a 64 bit OS (even when using a bridge) that is quite different.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes I run win 7 Pro 64

I ran the demo just for grins (I have an external SC-8850, besides all the other gear and SS's I own, and the sounds of this plug-in are IDENTICAL with IDENTICAL maps so not worth it TO ME at $125 - duplicative)

The 32 bit version makes no sound within BIAB and didn't spend a lot of time trouble shooting but the 64 bit version works just fine in BAIB (using JBridge obviously)

I sent PG support few questions on this an their reply

"

Hi Larry,

I have seen plugins with very larger control panels get cut off, but the Sound Canvas VA's control panel is pretty small so wouldn't normally get cut off like this. I do see why it's happening though.

When you first select the SC VA, its control panel is pretty tiny, and only expands to show more information when you hit the Part, FX, or Options buttons. This is fairly unusual behaviour, most plugins' control panels have a fixed size. I've never seen one that shrinks and expands like this before.

The size of the window is set when the plugin is first selected, and simply doesn't refresh when the plugin is expanded. Frankly, I wouldn't have expected it to, this was an odd design decision on Roland's part.

Regarding the "no sound" issue, the trial version of the plugin is silent for me too, it doesn't seem to be responding at all to the General MIDI patch changes or notes being sent to it from BIAB.

I have a feeling that if we could see the entire interface I'd see a setting that would affect this. I'll let the development team know about the control panel getting cut off, hopefully this can be improved. Once that's resolved we'll likely be able to figure out why it's silent.

I've only tested this with the 32-bit version, but will test the 64-bit version on a different computer once things have slowed down here a bit following the sale. smile

Thank you,
Kent
PG Music Inc.
Important Reminder: Please include all previous correspondence when replying to this message.

On 1/06/16 12:33 PM, Larry Kehl wrote:

1. I’ve mentioned this in a previous version(s) of BIAB (and PT and RB)

Issue: some VSTi/VST plug-ins when you open their “window” (edit , etc.) BIAB/RB/PT doesn’t allow for or open a large enough window see whole app’s working window.

A GREAT NEW example is the new Roland Sound Canvas VA plug-in (http://www.roland.com/products/sound_canvas_va/downloads/ )

You don’t need to buy it you (for trouble shooting) can download the trial version and see for yourself.

2. While you are at it the 32 bit version of this sound canvas makes NO sound in BIAB, RB or PT (no audio) but you can see the parts playing in the display window) . However, the 64 bit version DOES generate audio.

BTW this new Sound Canvas VA - both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions: work in Music Creator ( 32 and 64 bit) Sonar Platinum (32 and 64) and Mixcraft (32 and 64 - with some issues there) and Reaper 32 and 64.

"

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Weird; the Reminders section on the Roland page seems to say the opposite to me (regarding 64 bit OS and bridges).
If it sounds 'exactly' like a SC-8850 then it may be worth investigating. Thanks.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Ketron SD 2

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks for info Mario.

Will this be the same set of sounds that I already have when using the Roland dxi on my 32 bit windows7?

Thanks
Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a Ketron SD2
I have to say that for its size and price, it's pretty impressive as a hardware device.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
It seems to me - the next logical question or suggestion is - and I don't know who would bother but it sure would allow people (like me ; ) to judge for themselves:

Have our best sound engineers on this forum select between 3 to 5 songs per genre, and record playback from each of the Synths listed above. Create a soundclips page so we could all listen for ourselves - and THEN continue this discussion.

Ok - who's gonna do it : )

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Kontakt by Native Instruments would be my recommendation.

1. It is a software synth and it will work with any inexpensive midi controller/keyboard.
2. It is a sampling synth, which means it has sampled instruments in it's library and not just the patch based lower quality sounds you find with many synths that are lower priced.
3. It's in the $400 price range
4. It is professional quality and many pro's use it in their scoring work
5. It has the most after-market sound libraries out there and available at a very reasonable cost.
6. It works as stand alone or as a VST in a DAW

You want samples created by the synth mentioned? Kontakt as well as some other NI synths were used in these productions. These were before I got BB/RT

March To Tobith Rey-Al http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8968632

End of the Line http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7202047 notes on EOTL drums are programmed in Jamstix using a Battery (NI drum)kit. and bass is Kontakt. I really enjoyed working up the guitar parts for this song.

Give Me A Chance http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10977017 Kontakt is used in this at 3:10 for the female choir in the background behind the little girl singing. The song is essentially done in BB/RB with Kontakt for the choir.

This is just a sampling of what you can do with Kontakt. It is a very versatile synth, adding the unique touches to a BB/RB production to laying down the drums and bass parts for a more conventional style rock/country song, or into a more full orchestral kind of thing with cellos and french horns and viola sections. It's limited only by your imagination and skill set.

I quite often will use a synth of one kind or another.... my 2 favorites are Kontakt and The Cakewalk Sound Center. If for example, BB/RB isn't giving me the kind of bass line I want in a song, the quickest path to the right one is to load the synth and play it myself.

The Caddy song https://app.box.com/s/8zwr48mczf1isj64tnwu classic example of a bass line that is synth since I could not find a satisfactory RT that worked like I wanted.... it needed to channel Dusty Hill... as I recall, this is the CSC Ricko.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/08/16 03:50 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Joe, your initial message states "...without me having to map or manage or enter many settings - just the one that changes which synth is in use (or close to it)." Thus it appears to me that you are looking for a General MIDI sound source. This would eliminate Kontakt, SampleTank and all of the other best sounding sound sources. Note the best sounding comes from the more expensive, sometimes specialized, sound sources.

What genre of music are you going to play with this sound source? Some GMs have better sounding strings than others, some better horns, or ensembles, or guitars etc. The only GM that allows you to change sounds, AFAIK, are the old soundfonts(sf2). With a free sf2 player and a free sf2 editor you can pick the best patch for you and place it in the GM sound source. But these will only sound as good as some entry level sounds like those that come with BiaB/RB.

Thus my advice to you and anyone else that wants to really get into MIDI is to quit using GM, learn about setting up non-GM MIDI sounds and learn about MIDI controls, i.e CCs. More work, yes. More cost, yes. But one hell of a lot better sounds. DL the free Kontakt player and listen to a few super MIDI tracks through it and you should see what I mean.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-5-player/free-download/

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think the Coyote and Roland SOFTware synths sound lame.

Ketron SD-2 is probably your best all-around choice for a reasonable price.

That's my opinion anyway.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe, your initial message states "...without me having to map or manage or enter many settings - just the one that changes which synth is in use (or close to it)." Thus it appears to me that you are looking for a General MIDI sound source. This would eliminate Kontakt, SampleTank and all of the other best sounding sound sources. Note the best sounding comes from the more expensive, sometimes specialized, sound sources.

What genre of music are you going to play with this sound source? Some GMs have better sounding strings than others, some better horns, or ensembles, or guitars etc. The only GM that allows you to change sounds, AFAIK, are the old soundfonts(sf2). With a free sf2 player and a free sf2 editor you can pick the best patch for you and place it in the GM sound source. But these will only sound as good as some entry level sounds like those that come with BiaB/RB.

Thus my advice to you and anyone else that wants to really get into MIDI is to quit using GM, learn about setting up non-GM MIDI sounds and learn about MIDI controls, i.e CCs. More work, yes. More cost, yes. But one hell of a lot better sounds. DL the free Kontakt player and listen to a few super MIDI tracks through it and you should see what I mean.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-5-player/free-download/

Yep. The synths that are included with most music software like Cakewalk and others are the GM basic synths that use patches.

I never wanted to spend the time to learn how to map midi and use controllers. All I wanted to do was hit a key on my controller and hear the sound of a cello, or a violin, or a piano on a concert stage. I didn't want to program or map anything.

I have Kontakt as I stated. I insert it as a synth into my project. All I have to do is tell the software what channel my controller is sending on.... in my case, channel 6... (yeah I have my reasons for that) ... and it could just as easily be OMNI in which case it would be Insert, select the sample and play. Nothing is fancy or complicated about working with the better synths.

The advice to "quit using the GM synths" was, in my humble opinion, spot on. You get better sound from the better synths. Setting them up is a quick and simple matter once you do it a time or two.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The BEST? Careful what you ask for.

Software:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-NAT-22833?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CjwKEAiAluG1BRDrvsqCtYWk81gSJACZ2BCerSvrM9RaR2XUKapD3FVdkIOR0rtLbZqdLxdEybUO1RoCwDHw_wcB

Hardware:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/I...DV-wRoCvLzw_wcB

And forget simple plug and play GM stuff, no setup required and all that. No, you get to learn how this stuff works if you want the BEST sounds.

Now if you lower your sights a bit and want "good enough" sounds with GM capability then yes, the hardware Ketron SD2 for about $500 is right there or Sampletank 3 with some expansion soundsets. Oh, forgot no GM with Sampletank either except for the old Omnisynth that's not bad. There's even a good post about using it in the Tips & Tricks forum because it's still not easy plug and play but it can be made to work fairly close to that with a few hacks.

And..

Quote:
Have our best sound engineers on this forum select between 3 to 5 songs per genre, and record playback from each of the Synths listed above. Create a soundclips page so we could all listen for ourselves - and THEN continue this discussion.

Already done, been there for years:

http://www.pgmusic.com/dare-to-compare.htm

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Tried this in biab and rb and though the GUI in the Rooland VA shows midi getting through to it, no sound. Messed around for a while to try and get it to work but no joy.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
GM synths have an unjustified bad name with a few users - mostly users who have never had a good one.

GM simply assigns standard patch numbers with the same instruments so that sound (patch) #1 is a piano #33 is an acoustic bass and so on on all synths.

Some synths with GM banks are lame, and others sound excellent.

Some synths without GM banks are lame while others are excellent.

The presence of a General MIDI bank has absolutely nothing to do with sound, simply a standardization of the numbers used to call up various instrument sounds.

The Ketron SD2 and the Edirol SD90 both have excellent GM banks along with other sounds. I own those, that's how I know. Plus I'm sure there are plenty of others.

And if you don't want to learn to use continuous controllers, that's OK, but when making your own music, you will be limited by the sounds and not necessarily the nuances that make those instruments expressive. It's like learning to play guitar but not learning to bend the strings, adjust the angle of the pick on the strings, or use the pedals and whammy bar.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
what Notes said!

I think it can be hard to wrap the brain around Midi, so let me say the same thing about GM in a slightly different way.

1) BIAB MIDI is presented to the synth using the General Midi patch numbers. So if you start with a GM synth, your piano parts will be played by a piano patch. string parts will be played by a string patch etc. In other words, a GM synth makes it easy to get your songs to sound right when used with BIAB or RB. Really no learning curve at all.. it just works.

2) Hardware synths that have a GM bank also typically have several NON GM banks... which means they probably include patches for lots of other instruments as well as many variations of the GM instruments.

3) If you like one of the non GM pianos better than the GM one, BIAB, RB and just about every other DAW provides a way to select any of the patches available in the synth. If you use a patch map, its as easy as picking the patch from a list (same as the GM patch map, only a lot more choices)

so it doesn't have to be any more complicated than picking a patch right now if you use patch maps. And this is one advantage hardware synths have over soft synths: for most hardware synths you can find a patch map that's already made and ready to use in BIAB or RB.

Sonar/Cakewalk users have compiled a huge list of patch maps (they call them "instrument definitions", or "INS files") but BIAB has a built-in conversion utility that can make a sonar INS file work as a BIAB patch map.

quoting Notes Norton again:
Quote:
Ketron SD-2 is probably your best all-around choice for a reasonable price.

Joe, you and I have talked in the past, and I feel like I know where you are coming from pretty well. If you want the convenience of good sounding MIDI in BIAB and RB without any learning curve at all, the Ketron is a good choice for you. And later, if you want more, it also has the non GM banks that will give you more options and many more instruments from which to choose. And I'm sure somebody here on the forum already has the Ketron's patch map, so you wouldn't have to search for it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,636
Posts735,315
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182