You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#135215 - 11/25/11 10:32 AM Harmonize and Generate Parts
PhillyJazz Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Philly
I would really like to see a one-click method, where you could select a harmony, distribute them to say, Trumpet, Tenor, Baritone and Trombone (bass or treble clef choice)and have BIAB spit out the parts pre-transposed. Most of the logic is in there, but requires a lot of manual steps that could be orchestrated. Also nice would be a setting to choose to harmonize, for example only melody notes >= a quarter, half or whole. While I'm at it, it would be nice if the lower parts could optionally continue "drop notes" to match the harmony while the top part holds the melody.

Oh, and by the way, by the next release is a perfect timeframe ..

Edited by PhillyJazz (11/25/11 10:33 AM)
Samsung SSD Boot drive,other internal and USB drives.
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Ketron SD4
Onkyo TX-SR606 amp.

#135216 - 11/25/11 11:06 PM Re: Harmonize and Generate Parts [Re: PhillyJazz]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
You could always go to Sibelius 7. I heard it did that much and more. Auto arrangements, print outs in the right keys, as in print out parts for a brass ensemble, full band etc.

That's what I heard.

I have not yet taken the plunge, but am on the diving board so to speak.

#135217 - 11/27/11 05:06 AM Re: Harmonize and Generate Parts [Re: John Conley]
PhillyJazz Offline
Apprentice

Both Sibelius and Finale have that kind of functionality. There is a steep learning curve though. If I wrote brass ensembles, I would absolutely go there, but the kind of music I play means lead sheets for all the horns (with chords) and I can get this output perfectly from BIAB already. Finale already uses BIAB harmonies as a plugin. I am thinking this is so common (even without the harmonization) that since the code already exists in the product, it is more or less wrapping a GUI around a script.

You can download demos of Sibelius and Finale. I think Sibelius is more intuitive. For all the users who think BIAB has "feature bloat" they should try one of these. I suppose if I were arranging movie scores or large ensembles, I would NEED one.

Edited by PhillyJazz (11/27/11 05:09 AM)

#135218 - 11/27/11 07:47 AM Re: Harmonize and Generate Parts [Re: PhillyJazz]
alan S. Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Scotland
So am I right in thinking that the existing melody harmony options in BIAB (including the one click presets) are not giving you what you want?. If memory serves I'm pretty certain that you can export each line of the harmonies to separate channels in a midi file. And the option of only harmonizing melody notes of a certain duration is already under the 'more ' tab in the melody harmony editor. It's just that its expressed in units of milliseconds rather than note values.

Regards

Alan

Edited by alan S. (11/27/11 07:50 AM)

#135219 - 11/28/11 03:16 AM Re: Harmonize and Generate Parts [Re: alan S.]
PhillyJazz Offline
Apprentice

Actually, you don't need to save them out as MIDI files. When you swap the harmony to the melody track permanently, you can view the parts individually and transpose them before printing. I am thinking because it is a common function, and the code exists, that it could be reduced to a "one-click" procedure where your favorite instrumentation is maintained. I will check in to the duration option in harmonies. I guess the millisecond conversion will work after getting used to it.
Samsung SSD Boot drive,other internal and USB drives.
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Ketron SD4
Onkyo TX-SR606 amp.

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
Order Band-in-a-Box and DOWNLOAD Your Purchase!

Order Band-in-a-Box directly from PG Music Inc. and you can start downloading the program right away! Of course, we can also send you the program by courier or mail - but you can still download it while you wait!
Order Band-in-a-Box for Windows.
Order Band-in-a-Box for Mac.

Video - RealBand: Batch File Convert

Did you know... in RealBand you can convert audio files of various types, RealBand SEQ files, or Band-in-a-Box song files to an output audio format of your choice!
Click here to watch the video.

Labor Day Weekend - We're Still Here!

It's the last long weekend of the summer, and we hope everyone enjoys it!

Don't let the long weekend fool you though - we're still going to be here for all your sales and tech needs!

Monday - Friday: 6:00AM to 8:00PM PST (GMT -8)
Saturday: 8:00AM to 6:00PM PST (GMT -8)
Sunday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8)
http://www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Purchase Site Licenses and LabPAKs for Band-in-a-Box!

Interested in purchasing Band-in-a-Box to use in your school? We offer special pricing when purchasing five or more installations! Click here to see the options available.

Troy Brenningmeyer - Another GREAT Lap Steel Lessons with Band-in-a-Box Backing Tracks!

Band-in-a-Box is a great tool when you're learning to play ANY instrument! Watch as Troy Brenningmeyer uses Band-in-a-Box as a backing track while teaching a Lap Steel Lesson: http://youtu.be/ofrk4lI4Msg

The Audio Chord Wizard - a GREAT Band-in-a-Box Feature!

The Audio Chord Wizard is an amazing feature of Band-in-a-Box that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file! What a great way to learn a song, or create your own version of one of your favorite songs!
Watch the Audio Chord Wizard YouTube Video.

The Italian Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box 2014 per Macintosh è qui con più di 50 nuove funzioni interessanti.
http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=it

Forum Stats
21961 Members
38 Forums
29851 Topics
237714 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
qrstuv156039, defghi762015, Vrinda, OneSothebys, mrjazz

21961 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 113