You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#135215 - 11/25/11 10:32 AM Harmonize and Generate Parts
PhillyJazz Online   content
Apprentice

Loc: Philly
I would really like to see a one-click method, where you could select a harmony, distribute them to say, Trumpet, Tenor, Baritone and Trombone (bass or treble clef choice)and have BIAB spit out the parts pre-transposed. Most of the logic is in there, but requires a lot of manual steps that could be orchestrated. Also nice would be a setting to choose to harmonize, for example only melody notes >= a quarter, half or whole. While I'm at it, it would be nice if the lower parts could optionally continue "drop notes" to match the harmony while the top part holds the melody.

Oh, and by the way, by the next release is a perfect timeframe ..

Edited by PhillyJazz (11/25/11 10:33 AM)
Samsung SSD Boot drive,other internal and USB drives.
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Ketron SD4
Onkyo TX-SR606 amp.

#135216 - 11/25/11 11:06 PM Re: Harmonize and Generate Parts [Re: PhillyJazz]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
You could always go to Sibelius 7. I heard it did that much and more. Auto arrangements, print outs in the right keys, as in print out parts for a brass ensemble, full band etc.

That's what I heard.

I have not yet taken the plunge, but am on the diving board so to speak.

#135217 - 11/27/11 05:06 AM Re: Harmonize and Generate Parts [Re: John Conley]
Apprentice

Both Sibelius and Finale have that kind of functionality. There is a steep learning curve though. If I wrote brass ensembles, I would absolutely go there, but the kind of music I play means lead sheets for all the horns (with chords) and I can get this output perfectly from BIAB already. Finale already uses BIAB harmonies as a plugin. I am thinking this is so common (even without the harmonization) that since the code already exists in the product, it is more or less wrapping a GUI around a script.

You can download demos of Sibelius and Finale. I think Sibelius is more intuitive. For all the users who think BIAB has "feature bloat" they should try one of these. I suppose if I were arranging movie scores or large ensembles, I would NEED one.

Edited by PhillyJazz (11/27/11 05:09 AM)

#135218 - 11/27/11 07:47 AM Re: Harmonize and Generate Parts [Re: PhillyJazz]
alan S. Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Scotland
So am I right in thinking that the existing melody harmony options in BIAB (including the one click presets) are not giving you what you want?. If memory serves I'm pretty certain that you can export each line of the harmonies to separate channels in a midi file. And the option of only harmonizing melody notes of a certain duration is already under the 'more ' tab in the melody harmony editor. It's just that its expressed in units of milliseconds rather than note values.

Regards

Alan

Edited by alan S. (11/27/11 07:50 AM)

#135219 - 11/28/11 03:16 AM Re: Harmonize and Generate Parts [Re: alan S.]
Apprentice

Actually, you don't need to save them out as MIDI files. When you swap the harmony to the melody track permanently, you can view the parts individually and transpose them before printing. I am thinking because it is a common function, and the code exists, that it could be reduced to a "one-click" procedure where your favorite instrumentation is maintained. I will check in to the duration option in harmonies. I guess the millisecond conversion will work after getting used to it.
Samsung SSD Boot drive,other internal and USB drives.
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Ketron SD4
Onkyo TX-SR606 amp.

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
RealTracks Artist Ron Carter Upcoming Performance

The Ron Carter Big Band will be appearing 08/26/14 - 08/31/14 at the Jazz Standard in New York.

You can check out all his upcoming shows at: http://roncarter.net/JazzMaster/performances-calendar/

Video - Count-in & Metronome

Did you know that you can use different count-in types such as drum fills, or turn on a silent visual metronome, to help keep you in time while recording? You can! Learn how by watching the video: http://youtu.be/-KvPt0KPGEw

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows - Italian Patch Available!

If you own the Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows, and are wanting the latest Italian language patch that includes a PDF of the full 2014 Italian manual, click here.

PG Music Inc. Support Page Resource

Our Support Page is a fast and easy way to access Patch Updates, Videos, Support Forms, FAQs, Tutorials and more!
http://www.pgmusic.com/support.htm

Kick-start Your Week with a Band-in-a-Box Song!

Want to hear what others are creating with Band-in-a-Box? Head to our http://www.pgmusic.com/user-showcase/ page - whether you're interested in Rock, Pop, Jazz, Country, Easy Listening and more you're sure to be inspired by the songs posted here from Band-in-a-Box users just like you!

RealTracks Artist John Jorgenson - Guest Artist!

RealTracks Artist John Jorgenson can be heard as a guest artist for John Cowan's upcoming album "Sixty" that's being released later this month!

Read more about this upcoming album release here: http://www.cybergrass.com/node/3937

RealTracks Artist Mark Matejka - Upcoming Lynyrd Skynyrd Shows!

RealTracks Artist Mark "Sparky" Matekja is the guitarist for Lynyrd Skynyrd, and there's a lot of concerts coming up! If you're interested in seeing them live, visit http://lynyrdskynyrd.com/tour to see if there's a show near you!

Forum Stats
22610 Members
38 Forums
29731 Topics
236763 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
vwxyz{222812, Joe Ramsay, hijklm580410, ijklmn936826, thebooda

22609 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
dani48 139
Noel96 138