#351913 05/29/16 06:08 PM
Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Maybe I need a new USB cable says Sweetwater support?? , (it will be the second new one I have purchased in 3 weeks.) Updating the driver did no good at all.

I've been having trouble recording anything for almost a month now. I get interrupted quite frequently with a loud buzzing sound. In both BIAB, and RB. But, alas it happens in Youtube, and windows media player. Its most often a problem in RB when I put in the effects. When I play back to listen the playback freezes and a loud buzzing noise starts. I have to use task manager to close the program out. If I can recover without using task manager, when I go to play the song there is no sound and the curser/verticle line whips through the song at warp speed.

I save the song at that point and reopen to discover, in a few minutes the same scenario. Rats.

Focusrite says turn off everything anti spyware, firewall, the internet connection, and gives a list of things to change in the windows settings and after I did that the problem just got worse.

I finally fixed the problem for now. I turned off that computer and started playing my acoustic guitar. No Buzzing In My Ear.

Last edited by dga; 05/29/16 06:11 PM.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dga
Maybe I need a new USB cable says Sweetwater support?? (it will be the second new one I have purchased in 3 weeks.)

That seems unlikely, especially two in a row.

Focusrite ... gives a list of things to change in the windows settings and after I did that the problem just got worse.

Could you share that list? A number of people here have Focusrite including me, so we might benefit or recognize wrong advice.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Have you excluded BIAB, Realband and possibly your soundcard in your antivirus software? (What so you use for your antivirus?)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What OS are you running? Also what are your computer specs?

It sounds like an audio interface problem as it is happening even when listening on-line. Do you have WiFi? If so turn it off and see what happens.

Are your drivers up to date? That includes your video card drivers.

One experiment to try would be to eliminate the Focusrite and use that crappy internal sound chip, probably a Realtek chip. Does the problem go away? If yes then you have either a bad Focusrite interface, bad wiring to and from it, a bad driver and/or your buffer settings need to be set correctly.

If the problem didn't go away you have a computer problem, possible a power supply problem.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Sweetwater told me just a few minute ago to update all my motherboard and peripheral drivers. Also said the 2i4 was discontinued. I got my unit in December of 2014.

Mario has suggested something that was mentioned by SW support the power source. Is the unit getting enough power from the USB port on the computer? Don't know how to up this power so I just unplugged every other device on the computer. This problem just started happening when the Air Conditioning was turned on in the building I live in. Maybe that is related. I recently noticed it happening when the air conditioning goes on.

Email From Focusrite support below, I did the Optimization yesterday problem was unresolved. Lots of steps, I have an intel chip set so I think I will go directly to the Intel site and update from there s the email suggests they have the latest drivers for their chip sets and other peripherals.

Hello David,

Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your unit, but happy to help!

Glitchy audio or drop out issues like this are usually down to things like optimization problems, driver conflicts, or other types of software issues.

I suspect you already have done this but please make sure you follow all the steps in this Optimize your PC for Audio guide.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

Go to your computer or motherboard manufacturer website and perform any and all updates such as BIOS, Chipsets, USB Controllers, Network Adapters, Video Cards, etc. These simple updates often solve odd issues such as this.

If you have a motherboard with any Intel parts on it you may also want to run the Automatic Driver Update from Intel. Sometimes I see situations where the computer manufacturer may not have all the latest drivers for each individual part listed. Often Intel has even newer drivers for many parts in your computer that can solve audio problems.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

I also see you are using the 3.2.2 driver. I want to remove this and try the current main release 2.5.2 driver.

1) With the Scarlett connected please open the Control Panel > System > Device Manager. Locate the Scarlett under Sound, Video and Game Controllers section.

2) Right click the Scarlett and choose Uninstall. Make sure to check the box to remove software for the device.

3) You will see the unit disappear from the list. Unplug the unit and plug it back in. It should reappear in the list.

4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the Scarlett appears with a yellow exclamation mark, and/or the properties says Code 10. The Properties > Driver tab will likely say a Microsoft driver is in use. This means all the drivers are removed.

5) Next go to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program. Uninstall any Focusrite USB Audio Driver, Scarlett Family Audio Drivers or Scarlett MixControl you find here.

6) All Focusrite drivers are now removed. Please reinstall this driver.
https://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i

Please let me know how you come along after this. If the glitchy audio continues I will want to run some deeper diagnostics to help you further.

Best regards.

Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Novation Technical Support

Last edited by dga; 05/30/16 07:23 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, thanks for the Focusrite info. This is their boilerplate for removal of a beta driver. I had to do this as well.

About the power, you may be suffering the consequences of repeated brownouts (low voltage). The power supply in your PC may be fine; it has a minimum voltage requirement however. A simple AC voltmeter will tell you if you have a problem. In any event, try not to have any electronic equipment on the same circuit with a refrigerator (or vacuum, or compressor, or washer, or hair dryer etc.).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Ok, thanks for the Focusrite info. This is their boilerplate for removal of a beta driver. I had to do this as well.

About the power, you may be suffering the consequences of repeated brownouts (low voltage). The power supply in your PC may be fine; it has a minimum voltage requirement however. A simple AC voltmeter will tell you if you have a problem. In any event, try not to have any electronic equipment on the same circuit with a refrigerator (or vacuum, or compressor, or washer, or hair dryer etc.).

Well after 1 and a half hours of updating all the drivers on my 2 months old windows 10 PC, 15 installed correctly, and aother 4 failed to install. And yes Matt I rolled back the Focusrite Driver after removing every trace of the Beta driver. I'm also sad to report that I shared the Beta location on the forum. Sweetwater Techs seem to think the Beta drivers are better, Focusrite does not agree.

For the time being I will test the old driver with the new system drivers and suggested Focusrite environmental? settings in win10. SO far so good about 1 hour of continuous BIAB play without a glitch. If it solves my problem I will share the discovery in another thread.

Should I invest in a battery backup with a power conditioner on it? I have no control over what is on the power running into my apartment. 2 roof HVAC units over my head, 2 other compressor units beside my left window.

THIS WHOLE PROCESS was NOT a SIMPLE FIX. I hope this chapter in my worries about windows 10 is over.

Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
One more note the focusrite email said to look on the intel sight for the latest drivers, there were none reported after I use their scan tool. But, 19 were discovered when I went to HP's site. OH yes the desktop HP support assistant did not detect any outdated drivers. I have a HP Envoy 750-247c purchased march 12 2016.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I think Matt is spot on about brownouts and you stated that it started when the air conditioner was on. When I worked for a computer store we had a customer who kept complaining that his computer wasn't working right. We tested it many times and it worked fine each time so we called him in to discuss it. Come to find out he had installed an air conditioner in the computer room and it was on the same circuit as the computer. The solution was to purchase an Uninterruptible Power Supple (UPS).

I have an UPS on every computer in my house. You probably will not need an expensive one. The ones I have on my wife and kids computers were under $60 USD each while the one I have for my music computer, Internet computer and all of my sound system was less than $200. They have saved our computers a number of times.

I have one question. Do the lights dim or flicker when the AC comes on? Those are sure signs of brownouts.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
MarioD and Matt I would like to thank you for your help. Yes its is a combination of having the incorrect drivers Focusrite, Nvidia, Intel, HP, etc installed on my PC. Completely uninstalled the Beta Focusrite driver, then updated all the outdated drivers on my PC.

SO then it came down to a few clicks, which as you guys suggested could be related to the power source on my PC. Clicks correlated to the Air Conditioning turning on and off. Lights dimmed a few times too. I will look around to see what type of UPS should I get. Wattage?

Would this one be OK

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apc-back-ups-450va-network-40-ups-black/7271045.p?id=1218837919498&skuId=7271045&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=637573a9-5419-4a75-ba38-657cd75512a0&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg14422&ksdevice=c&ref=212&loc=1

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That one at Best Buy is better than nothing but minimal. If you have a desktop, you can look at the wattage of your power supply. Although that's a maximum rating, get a UPS as large or larger. My computer is nothing special and my UPS is 900 watts. Notice Mario said he paid almost $200. So did I. And I don't have the devices causing a voltage drop on my computer circuit that you do. I had the electrician install two separate circuits, one for music/computer equipment, and a different one for the air conditioner. You can go overboard with this stuff, but I ran an electronics store in the late 1970s and I have plenty of stories...

Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Ok great Matt. I will look around and find one more professional.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I may regret saying this, because it has been a useful discussion. However, while I believe power is important, I do NOT think this is the main cause of your noise problem.

Can you record and post a sample of the noise?

Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Matt after rolling back the FR interface driver and updating all14 outdated drivers on my PC the problem has gone away.

It never recorded a sound just froze up and started Buzzing. Tracks were clean till they stopped. The clicking noise is in the playback only if that helps.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We used to have an interesting phenomenon in Windows 7 and SONAR called 'motor boating' and your description reminds me of that. It had to do with drivers and buffer adjustments, if I recall, and one of the CPU cores pegging at 100%. It required the Task Manager to shut down the program, just as you said. But, no one has complained about this in a few years. Mario and other SONAR users will remember this too.

Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
We used to have an interesting phenomenon in Windows 7 and SONAR called 'motor boating' and your description reminds me of that. It had to do with drivers and buffer adjustments, if I recall, and one of the CPU cores pegging at 100%. It required the Task Manager to shut down the program, just as you said. But, no one has complained about this in a few years. Mario and other SONAR users will remember this too.

Well I stayed up till 2AM using RB and BIAB since I was unable t do anything for quite some time. No Problems. Listened and got words for 6 new country tunes for my repertoire on youtube. No Problem at all. So that was from around 6pm to 2 am 8 full hours I hammered this thing. Even at one point playing a song in BIAB and RB at the same time. No problems.

Just now I play a youtube video and BAM the audio turns to BUZZZ. I'm looking at the RB cpu usage numbers and they only go about as high as 4%. Usually at less than 1%.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
2 devices trying to share ASIO driver maybe?

Sometimes this is problematic.
Just a thought

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, in that case, wouldn't the second program fail to work at all, rather than work sometimes and buzz sometimes? I don't know for certain, just speculating.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Just now I play a youtube video and BAM the audio turns to BUZZZ.

Maybe just put your phone on record next time this happens, so we can hear what you hear? If you don't have a place to store the audio file on the Internet (like Dropbox or a website), PM me and I'll stick it up for others to hear.

Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Well I was not at home all day today. But, I did get both silence and a Buzz today when playing a video. I'm not going to try to record on this PC right now, its been too disheartening. I'm using a TEAC DP03 to record my ideas for new songs.

This whole mess has got me irritated. I will capture the sound next time and share it with you Matt or can I attach the Wav file to the post?

Last edited by dga; 05/31/16 06:31 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,352
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.