You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#150195 - 02/10/12 02:57 PM A couple of BIAB songs
RickeG Offline
Journeyman

Hey gang,
I finally got around to uploading my music onto a shared site. Here's the link: http://soundcloud.com/rickeg/sets/the-anthology-in-progress

Since this contains a bunch of material from different ideas that evolved with the technology available to me at the time, there are some that were pre-BIAB.

Here are those that I used BIAB with:
Smile
Groovie Tubie
Tis So Sweet
A Hall of Oats (used Jamstix for the drums here)
Two Penny
The Berg
Tomorrow's the Day... Promise.

I hope you take the opportunity to listen and share some of your thoughts of how the music moves your mood right on the site.

P.S., Stinks having a day job! Not enough time to play with BIAB like I used to.

Thanks again!
RickeG

#150196 - 02/11/12 01:58 PM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: RickeG]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
RickeG,

Nice sound here. Did you play any of the instruments? Sounds like they are pretty much all RealTracks on the songs you listed above (except the Jamstix). What did you use on the other songs. You did a nice job of arranging and mixing. Everything sounds good!

Steve

#150197 - 02/14/12 08:49 PM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: Steve Young]
RickeG Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Steve. Actually all the guitar parts were from me. I did some bass guitar as well. The other instruments were BIAB, some virtual instruments, and Jamstix for drums.

I really like BIAB's solo sax & trumpet instruments. What I am hoping for is for a future release where we can get a brass section, say for the punches.

Another software I used for the older tracks was JAMMER. Lately, with the use of Jamstix, and virtual instruments I am tweaking BIAB parts in the song to add another dimension to the arrangement. I really like music arrangement the best. One of the guys that has been an influence on me is Pat Williams. He has an incredible album out there called Threshold that really takes arrangement to another level. Anyway, TMI.

I am glad you took the time to listen and enjoyed them!

RickeG

#150198 - 02/18/12 08:36 AM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: RickeG]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
I can tell the guitars are you, it has a more real than real track feel. The guitar tones on a hall of Oats is just beautiful.

Now i have to go back and let them play later today when i have some more time.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 4 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Producer, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, clone jazz bass, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#150199 - 03/09/12 09:19 PM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: Robh]
RickeG Offline
Journeyman

Thank you for listening Rob. I don't get to the board as much as I used to. I am glad you like the Hall of Oats song. It was a lot of fun to make. I was gong for that Blue eyed soul effect.

#150200 - 03/12/12 10:39 AM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: RickeG]
SpaceDog Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
RickeG,
Wow, what a treasure trove! There wasn't a song I didn't like. How did you do the brass on "Tis' so Sweet"?
SD

#150201 - 03/13/12 07:34 PM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: SpaceDog]
RickeG Offline
Journeyman

Spacedog,

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the diversity.

The brass in Tis So Sweet comes from from talent of Real Tracks as does all the other horn parts. However, I do one thing that may be unique to the family here, I don't know. I put my "Arranger" hat on and let BIAB roll through several creative takes of solos. I capture those I like and keep them in separate files. I then add them to the Cakewalk file I am building. From there, I pick spots that I keep and delete the others.

Then, in the case of Tis So Sweet, I take the BIAB file for piano, bass, and drums and tweak the breaks or intro inside of Cakewalk so that it gives it that "Smokey street corner under the lamp" imagery of the trumpet solo. The scene as it plays in my head is the trumpeter is playing his horn just outside of a jazz club as he is warming up. The band steps in as he enters the club and begins to join them.

With instrumentals, you have to create the story without words. Only those who have heard me sing can really appreciate the fact that I am now only writing instrumentals! So, the story gets told through the mood and ambience of the music.

I have off this week and will be getting caught up listening to some of the songs here. I am readlly looking forward to hearing them!

Best Regards,
RickeG

#150202 - 03/14/12 03:29 AM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: RickeG]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

Nice guitar picking RickeG on A Hall of Oats!

#150203 - 03/14/12 10:27 AM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: RickeG]
Tim Lawrence Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Long Beach California. United ...
Rick,

good all the way 'round.
Every one a keeper.

Tim

#150204 - 03/14/12 11:56 AM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: Tim Lawrence]
vzudell Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Otter Lake, Michigan
Wow! What a nice collection of unique songs. The instruments amost seems to be speaking. I especially love the trumpet in "Tis So Sweet".

#150205 - 03/15/12 04:02 PM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: RickeG]
F.M.M. Offline
Journeyman

hi rickyg nice playing good tune thanks for sharing eric

#150206 - 06/16/12 03:57 PM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: F.M.M.]
Musica1 Offline
Enthusiast

I have to say I'm new at BIAB. Excellent work and
quite varied in style.

I can't believe the breathiness in the sax at 0.22
in Smile. I'm a sax player so I know how one should
sound. The other solos parts great, too.

All around, great job!

Debb

#150207 - 06/25/12 04:33 AM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: Musica1]
memphis rjames Offline

Loc: memphis,TN
tis so sweet, well done

r james memphis USA
... I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink ... matthew 25:35

#150208 - 06/25/12 11:09 AM Re: A couple of BIAB songs [Re: memphis rjames]
dcuny Offline
Expert

Sounds nice!

Personally, I like when people post TMI about their arrangements!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Mac Review

For many years Band-in-a-Box 2014 has been my indispensable musical companion, whether I’m knocking up backing tracks for my solo gigs, creating professional-sounding background music for my documentaries, or just having fun. The 2014 makeover absolutely ticks every box and brings the abundant feature set under control. If making music brings joy to your life, Band-in-a-Box 2014 will make you even happier.
Keith White - Macworld Australia

Click here to read the review on Macworld.
Click here to read the PDF.

RealTracks Artist Gary Smulyan's Organ Quartet!

The Gary Smulyan Organ Quartet has a busy October coming up!
See if they're playing near you, visit http://garysmulyan.com and click on tour.

RealTracks Artist Phil Woods - October Performance!

Award-winning jazz saxophonist Phil Woods will perform in North Carolina on Tuesday, Oct. 14, at 7 p.m. at the Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts at Appalachian State University!

Click here for more information.

Video - Making a Song in Band-in-a-Box

New to Band-in-a-Box? Creating your first song is as easy as pressing play! To watch a step-by-step video tutorial on creating your own song, watch this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/PRSX_w3wNJs.

RealTracks Artist Kenny Barron - Oct & Nov Performances!

Kenny Barron will be performing in October and November! To see if there's a performance near you, head to: http://kennybarron.com/itinerary/

Band-in-a-Box 2014 Russian Patch Available!

Мы хорошо потрудились и добавили в Band-in-a-Box ряд потрясающих новых функций и новых стилей RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, высококачественных (Hi-Q) MIDI-тембров и записей профессионального живого исполнения (Artist Performances)!

Вышло обновление для Band-in-a-Box 2014 на русском языке с полным руководством пользователя на русском языке. загрузки.

RealTracks Artist Tim Kliphuis Upcoming Performances!

The Tim Kliphuis Trio will be performing throughout the fall and winter seasons in the UK! For a complete list of performances, click here.

Forum Stats
22041 Members
38 Forums
30182 Topics
240422 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
Bill McFadden, The Hobbit, WillyL, edshaw1000000, davenqem

22041 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 125
Al-David 116