Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Which is better a no-frills USB interface with just a couple of inputs or a Mixer with an integrated USB interface.

Last edited by dga; 06/04/16 11:59 AM.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
What is your purpose for asking? Both will only have 2 channels for input for simultaneous recording

ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
There's good and bad examples of both.

It usually comes down to what you need and how much you're willing to pay.

ROG.

Veteran
Veteran

As you know DGA, I use a power mixer pre-amp (a Eurorack) with phantom power going out to the left channel of a 2-channel Focusrite USB Audio interface. That Focusrite USB cable then goes to the computer. (Thus I keep the phantom power on the Focurite off and just use it as an in, two channel.) That is, the path is instrument to preamp, out to Focusrite, into computer.

I do that so I can get more "juice" without overloading the gain on the Focusrite, I also have control over the EQing using the mixer on the preamp before the sound hits the Focusrite, which gives you a LOT more control. The Behringer Eurorack is famous for being very inexpensive with almost no noise. I also use a booster on the mic before it even goes to the preamp and I still get no detectable noise in Real Band when I solo the vocal. Clean as a whistle. (I keep the gain the Focusrite channel around 9:30 and the level on the preamp at about 10:30, same for gain on the preamp. Those with softer voices will want higher settings.)

Also, if I want, I can have a vocal going in to channel 1 on the Focusrite coming out of the preamp, and the acoustic guitar going in to the right channel of the Focurite clean-- if I want an unadorned acoustic sound and I want to capture myself playing and singing at the same time on two separated channels.

You have to make sure to go into audio preferences in Real Band and set audio record L+R though. Most of the time, I just have it set to left.

It works really well for me and I hear it is a very common one man band home studio set up, though I thought I had "invented it."

It may not be for everyone, but doing this gives me exactly the sounds and "beef" I want out of tracks. (For electric guitar, I mic the amp, which is routed through the preamp.)

I also exclusively record audio into RealBand. It is my DAW of choice for recording audio, although I have Sonar, which I mix in.

Sonar is great for mixing, but I find it really glitchy with audio recording. Real Band never lets me down. It is my work horse.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dga
Which is better a no-frills USB interface with just a couple of inputs or a Mixer with an integrated USB interface.

How many inputs do you need? How many phantom power channels? Recording a full band, with the drums miked?

Not enough information, OP.

Regards,

Bob

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

How many inputs do you need? How many phantom power channels? Recording a full band, with the drums miked?

Not enough information, OP.

Regards,Bob

Ok I am looking at this unit

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ui12

Just about the same price as a bunch of mid level USB interfaces that do not have the ability to record 12 inputs at a time.

Or this unit for $100.00 more 16 inputs

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ui16

I'm working with a worship group recording in the church. Right now I record a scratch track of the group then with the same interface Focusrite 2i4 and my laptop we record each part by itself. Drums first then Bass, Keys, Vocals.

The question is do invest in a larger unit to record multiple instruments at the same time. There isn't much explanation about the USB out working with a DAW on these boards.

So does anyone have these units or any experience with their functionality with a DAW.

Veteran
Veteran
Discounting the issue concerning the number of inputs and the bells and whistles kind of things......

Which is better, a basic interface or an integrated mixer/interface?

I've seen some good combo units and I've seen some bad ones. Personally, I don't like the combo units. I prefer a good solid interface with built in preamps for the audio inputs and phantom power so you can use condenser mics. My biggest nit with many of those combo packages is that they are not as versatile as they should be and many of them use proprietary codecs rather than true ASIO drivers.

My studio rig is a simple Focusrite Saffire interface into the computer. Mics and guitar gets plugged straight in. No mixer board required. ASIO drivers.

SO, my vote is: Get a good solid interface. Spend a few more dollars if you have to, and remember, you will never regret buying a good interface.

Edit: many of the issues we would deal with quite often, in the Cakewalk Music Creator forum, trying to help people get started, was that many of them had bought one of the combo units and was having issues with getting the drivers and codecs working properly with MC. When they told us the kind of unit it was or who the manufacturer was, we thought... "Oh No.... not another one."

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/05/16 01:50 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
>>> I'm working with a worship group recording in the church. Right now I record a scratch track of the group then with the same interface Focusrite 2i4 and my laptop we record each part by itself. Drums first then Bass, Keys, Vocals." <<<

I have found the most complete and versatile option for 'recording the band' scenarios is a stand alone multi track recorder such as the Tascam DP-24. It is a rock solid performer. Free of glitches. Portable. Will record up to 8 tracks simultaneously. Has punch in capability. Very, very easy to setup and operate.

It costs less than the other options you are looking at.

If your guitar is in tune, you can be recording a song before you can turn on a computer and open your recording program. It comes with onboard effects and dynamics. No drivers, Asio's or compatibility issues. Easily transfer files by SD card or USB.

If you can operate a cassette deck, you can operate a DP-24. Recording is really as simple as firing it up, arming tracks, setting levels and recording.

In your case, you could simply record your tracks and overdubs to the DP-24, move the SD card to your computer and import the tracks into your DAW. It's possible you would not need any of the advanced editing or effects features of the DP-24.

I prefer the DP-24 over the DP-32 because the features and differences between the two units do not add enough value to justify the cost difference. They are essentially the same other than mixer track count. Recording inputs, software and features are otherwise identical.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/05/16 02:23 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
I have to go with Charlie on this (but it doesn't have to be the/a Tascam although, as he says, it is a solid unit)

Since you indicate your biggest use/concern is live performance (aka "gigging") a purpose built piece of HW recording solution is going to be infinitely more reliable, easy to use, service after service, night after night - JUST MY OPINION and HOW I WOULD do it.

And as cheap as some are you can get a BACKUP (a lower cost 2, 4, or 8 track) unit for those "just in case crap happens" scenario's: someday not only will your horse not win, place, or show but it WILL CRAP all over you!

(remember this motto: "one is none, two is one")

PS use GOOD MICS (and same motto applies)!

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
And three mic cables...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Can't tell whether the Soundcraft records each channel separately or if it's like most cheaper usb mixers where it only lets you record a stereo mixdown of all of the input channels

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Can't tell whether the Soundcraft records each channel separately or if it's like most cheaper usb mixers where it only lets you record a stereo mixdown of all of the input channels

Yes that is a question I have since it does not come with software DAW I suspect its a cheaper USB Interface.

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
@ Charlie. I have a Tascam DP03SD which I use to record rehearsals so if someone is out they can listen to new music. It is also the unit that I use to create the scratch tracks. Limited to 2 inputs at a time. But infinite digital bouncing even if you fill up all 8 digital tracks you can bounce to 2 master tracks and free up all 8 of the tracks again. I don't know how they do it but it works. I never thought of getting the 24 track unit. I was told the CD burners were poor. So the earlier units that did not have a SD card were worthless. The CD repair would cost more than the machine.

So thanks for the tip I'll look into this.

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
And three mic cables...
Yes always extra cables. Mic, guitar, and headphone extension cables.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Yes that is a question I have since it does not come with software DAW I suspect its a cheaper USB Interface.

The PDF manual is available at the Sweetwater site at the bottom of the page. According to the manual, 2 channel USB. Playback only for the UI12 and recording is only available with the UI16.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
@ Charlie. I have a Tascam DP03SD which I use to record rehearsals so if someone is out they can listen to new music. It is also the unit that I use to create the scratch tracks. Limited to 2 inputs at a time. But infinite digital bouncing even if you fill up all 8 digital tracks you can bounce to 2 master tracks and free up all 8 of the tracks again. I don't know how they do it but it works. I never thought of getting the 24 track unit. I was told the CD burners were poor. So the earlier units that did not have a SD card were worthless. The CD repair would cost more than the machine.

So thanks for the tip I'll look into this.

I have one of the earlier models of the DP-24 that had the CD and have not had any problems. The early units also included and recorded on SD cards. So, if you find an older unit with a bad CD player/recorder, it is not worthless. Just record to the SD card and burn your CD's on your computer.

I also owned the predecessor 2488 NEO for several years and had no issues with its CD player/burner. I've owned the Zoom R16 and the Roland Boss 1200 and have been most satisfied with the DP-24.

The DP-24 is not as menu driven as the DP03 and even though it is digital, it has a more analog feel navigating the controls. Most of the buttons and knobs function from the channel selection button and that in particular is very useful making each button the same across the entire mixer.

I've used the DP-24 as a mixer for many small gigs as well. It works well as an 8 channel mixer with 2 aux outs and stereo mains out.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/05/16 05:22 PM.

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

The PDF manual is available at the Sweetwater site at the bottom of the page. According to the manual, 2 channel USB. Playback only for the UI12 and recording is only available with the UI16.

Charlie I emailed my rep asked him to check if there were any recent Updates to the firmware on these mixers. Checking to see if there were any changes to the 16 channel one.

I suspect at these prices not, so it looks like 700.00 price point starts the mixers with individual digital channel outs. With DAW software included.

Last edited by dga; 06/05/16 05:32 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
I used to use a 16 channel mixer to route instrument/mic inputs in/out from the PC.

I dumped the mixer when I got the Focusrite 18i20 interface.

Since it has good preamps, it eliminated the need for a mixer and saved me $$$.

Now if I want to record remotely, I just take a laptop and the Focusrite and connect all the instruments to that.

The software mixer still allows me to tweak levels between instruments that I would do on a hardware mixer.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran

I suspect at these prices not, so it looks like 700.00 price point starts the mixers with individual digital channel outs. With DAW software included.

You may want to look at Roland's Octa-Capture:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OctaCapture?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=Brandroland&creative=9338692676&device=c

It has ten inputs and outputs as well as input and output mixers, variable sample rates and an optional reverb built into it. It also has Win 10 plug n play drivers. It works perfectly in Sonar and BiaB; since it works in BiaB I will assume it also works in RB. I have had this unit for about 5 years now and it has worked perfectly.

Note that you will need a computer to record, but it does come with a lite version of a DAW.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: sslechta
I used to use a 16 channel mixer to route instrument/mic inputs in/out from the PC.

I dumped the mixer when I got the Focusrite 18i20 interface.

Since it has good preamps, it eliminated the need for a mixer and saved me $$$.

Now if I want to record remotely, I just take a laptop and the Focusrite and connect all the instruments to that.

The software mixer still allows me to tweak levels between instruments that I would do on a hardware mixer.

I would think you saved money because you already had invested in a home studio and had a computer. In that scenario, the compromised live mixer performance of the 18i20 makes sense.

Starting from scratch and including the cost of a laptop, for live gigs, a digital mixer would seem to be the better choice and would also double as a quality home studio DAW interface. You spend another $100 more than the 18i20 and purchase a Behringer X32 Core. It seems a much better solution for dual purpose field and studio use.

For field recording, unless the track count needed is more than 8, I believe the best setup is done with hardware rather than involving a computer. Hardware will be more reliable, require less setup time, fewer components to deal with and cheaper.

When I do field recording, I prefer the DP-24 because it looks like a mixer, functions like a mixer, everything is 'in the box' and no external components are necessary. The footprint is small so space is not an issue. I purchased a rolling metal mixer stand and that is all the space I need to occupy. No more room is needed than the space of a mic stand or music stand. A single power outlet, no power strip necessary. (I do use a power strip for filtering and spike protection.) Simply roll in, connect power, inputs and headphones and I'm recording. It can be done in less time than you can set up, fire up the computer and open the software program.

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
@ Mario I'll check that out

Veteran
Veteran
The problem I have with those all in one mixer/recorders is that they are not conducive to using the VST instruments and drum software.....and of course BB/RB is hard to put on one of them.

If you're into audio recording of small bands.... yeah, they might be perfect.

Give me a good interface, computer, and software and I'm in musical heaven.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
>>>"The problem I have with those all in one mixer/recorders is that they are not conducive to using the VST instruments and drum software.....and of course BB/RB is hard to put on one of them. "<<<

That is the intention and very concept of 'all in the box' - self contained recorders. They come inclusive with software, OS and effects to complete every phase within the unit. They offer basic, solid software and effects that work flawlessly within the box.

One can start with an idea and finish with a complete Album without any other computer component or hardware. The DP-24 has aux sends and returns so that hardware the artist owns, has access to, or needs for a project can be added the same as any mixer.

The artist has access to any and all VST's, drum machines, controllers, keyboards, BB/RB or any other DAW.

*** all the files can easily be transferred/imported/exported into any computer for further processing *** whether it is a mac or PC.

Connected to a computer thru USB, the DP-24 is recognized as a drive. The unit itself has a folder specifically for communication between the unit and a computer. It works exactly the same as an external drive or thumb drive as far as transferring files. Or, you can simply pull the SD card and insert it into the computer.....

"and of course BB/RB is hard to put on one of them." You don't put programs on the unit, you transfer the DP-24 files into your DAW the same as you import BB/RB files into Sonar or another DAW.

Conversely, you can import BB/RB files into the DP-24 and complete your mix the old analog way.

Besides losing the CD burner/player, the upgraded DP-24 also eliminated midi ports. The older units with midi ports could interface with DAWs with a lot of midi CC commands and function as a basic midi controller or control the DP-24 from your DAW.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/06/16 03:13 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
The OP might also want to check out the new one from Mackie:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DL1608L

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I have the smaller (8-channel) version of that Mackie, the 806. It is controlled by my iPad and iPhone. Works great for small shows.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
This new gear is incredible. I still have my Bob Mackie-designed Tapco 6000R mixer. 6 channels, 2-band EQ and a spring reverb! Woohoo! grin

Regards,

Bob

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
@Charlie I like the X32s, but the core would require purchasing the S16 for audio inputs. If I am reading the literature correctly.

@Matt I like Mackie Gear. I just don't see why they are stuck on MAC. I don't have an iPhone, iPad or Mac laptop. So I cannot see investing in a system that requires purchasing an iPad. If I had one this would be one of my first choices.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
We have an x32 at our church. It has a bunch of analog inputs on the back of the unit that can be used.

There are smaller x-series items from Behringer, like the X-18 which IS multichannel USB audio interface (18x18), AND a mixer as the same time. You supply the iPad or Android tablet for the controls.

16 midas preamps on board.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X18

$500

I think I just found my next interface. Thanks for the topic!

Last edited by rockstar_not; 06/07/16 04:45 PM.
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Thanks rock star This is definitely in the running for my final choice. At this price it is hard to find anything with multiple digital channel outs, much less 18X18.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,706
Posts736,282
Members38,548
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
kcowmusic, guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB
38,548 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 178