Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#141153 - 01/30/12 09:31 AM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jazzmammal]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, New York an...
Not a problem!

ps I was really impressed by Peter's answer. Several had seconded my suggestion, and Peter was very thorough in his explanation.

#141154 - 02/03/12 05:03 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: Pat Marr]
FrankK Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Sydney,NSW,Australia
More elaborate and easier insertion of midi strings

I would like to see an easier way to call up, from a ‘midi’ string menu accompaniment for a given tune that would have a more elaborate background generation of both violin and cello midi parts for a particular style. Not all styles would work of course but those with slower tempos such as ballads etc. would be suitable.

With the availability of VST in BIAB and for example the Garritan Instant Orchestra (GIO) this would be big plus for BIAB development. In my case I use EastWest orchestra sample libraries (and GIO) and these BIAB generated midi tracks can then be used directly in Sonar as a first pass for modification or improvement if required. While I have done this already it would be a big plus if this process were made easier than at present with more elaborate generation and selection as indicated above. This would greatly speed up the whole business of adding more realistic strings to a tune.

#141155 - 02/09/12 06:29 AM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: PeterGannon]
zokk Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US Virgin Islands
Dr. Gannon, thanks for asking...Blues all styles. walking bass...more shuffles I use the existing ones but a lot missing...thanks again for offer to work on more midi styles.

#141156 - 02/13/12 11:09 AM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: Pat Marr]
alizai786 Offline

nice

#141157 - 02/28/12 06:48 AM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: Pat Marr]
Wrkit Offline
Enthusiast

There are ongoing discussions on the Yahoo BIAB forum that speak to some issues of the new and improved BIAB, midi wise. I am a old school user of the program, from the Atari platform. Over the years I've upgraded to windows 2009.5, which was the last version I found useful. Unfortunately, the improvements to the basic core (midi wise) have not inspired me to upgrade any further. I basically use BIAB for the scratch pad (notation) and basic midi functionality. If you were to follow some of the suggestions here and on the Yahoo group, you would see there is a genuine interest in a bare bones version of BIAB, especially for those that are just starting out using computer generated or assisted software and those that don’t require all the bells, gongs and whistle audio stuff. For your loyal user base, why not just embellish the basic midi features that the *initial* program was built on, before all the audio enhancements? Less icons or clutter on the menus to do simpler things. Basically, taking what you got, midi wise and upgrading it as you’ve tried to do in the 2012 newer version, but more.

For instance, the style windows could be laid out better. Columns could be wider without having to adjust your display to make everything smaller or more visual. I detest using zoom out to get everything displayed, causing the fonts and options to be smaller. Some of us older users have eye issues now in life...Another thing could be the inability to input more than 4 chords to a measure (better resolutions). Add more chordal options, especially for jazz. As far as the 2000+ BIAB styles, Bob Norton’s products and others that can also be purchased, how about better gui in the grids for making the creation or modifications of styles less complicated or simpler? I know you offer Finale, but what about enhancing the notation aspects of BIAB? Better editing capabilities, in terms of the ability to drag and drop notes and rests a lot smoother. Making ties, articulations, symbols, etc. easier to add and manipulate, much like a scaled down version of Finale, and similar to what BIAB already does, but better.

It was also mentioned about rewrites being more trouble than its worth, but what about all the features for midi that were put on the back burner, to make room for all the audio stuff? For some of us, using dedicated audio software for embellishing sounds is available with some of your other products, and found elsewhere by using either DAWs or other equipment and software.

IMO, BIAB is becoming more top heavy trying to stay relevant, lucrative or competitive with similar products that cater to audio. There a lot of us loyal users that would love to see just *basic* midi improvements to the program that made pgmusic's BIAB and some of your other products as popular as they have become. In short and as a metaphor, do all of us really need Monster truck wheels (audio) on a ten speed (midi) bike?

FWIW, and still loyal,
Wrk-in-it

#141158 - 03/05/12 01:39 AM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
parmstro Offline
Enthusiast

+1 - biggest gripe I have is playing around to get more than 4 chords in a bar.

Plus I like Bob Norton's list a lot.

Edited by parmstro (03/05/12 01:40 AM)

#141159 - 03/05/12 01:18 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: Pat Marr]
rogerbeau Offline
Enthusiast

Well this seem a bit different but I like the way BiaB will start on the first MIDI key. To continue this thought have it end after 1 mesure of no Midi "IN" activity, or enter in to a 1 mesure ending. OK the reason is I play keyboard and use BiaB to support a live singer. I never know when he will end the song, depends on the mode of the crowd. So I have to follow never being able to progam a song end. So I have to smash the space bar as he reaches compleation, this makes for a abrupt stop. Would be nice to hold the last cord for 1 measure (no midi in change) and have BiaB do a 1 measure ending and stop. I use the drums and bass parts in most songs, but some drums only.
Thanks for a great program
roger

#141160 - 03/05/12 04:00 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: rogerbeau]
hub30 Offline

Do not reinvent the wheel. Just give us what you have.

For me, the #1 wish would be to include the StyleWizard functionality on the Mac version, which automatically enables to create a Band-in-a-Box style from a MIDI file. It is a huge time saver – no knowledge of the StyleMaker is required.

It has been available on the Windows version for many years. The only solution so far for a Mac only user, is to buy a Windows computer and buy BIAB Windows version to run it. Not acceptable to me.

#141161 - 03/06/12 11:47 AM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: My80]
Superbron Offline
Journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
Yes please! Bring Hotz technology to Biab, great idea

#141162 - 03/06/12 03:41 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: Superbron]
Kenton Offline

My wish is simple, though I know that its implementation is not. I would like to be able export to Sibelius, a close approximation of whatever is rendered and heard in BiaB.

#141163 - 03/29/12 02:32 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: Kenton]
Sebastian Hetze Offline

Conductor MIDI bindings

I would very much appreciate the possibility to add custom MIDI bindings to the conductor. This would hopefully enable the use of the Behringer FCB1010 foot controller. This device sends C0 xx 00 Program Change messages. It would make perfect sense to map these messages to conductor actions.

BIAB 2012
RealTracks / Ketron SD4

#141164 - 07/05/12 06:06 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: PeterGannon]
rich in ca Offline
Enthusiast

While Real band allows a given midi track to be output to an available midi port/channel, BBW does not (allow say, drums, piano, etc, midi)as far as I can tell. An example: Using M-audio 4x4, I can (in real band), select port A, B, C, or D, and then (in Port D, also select a channel. Ports A, B, C appear to be limited to one channel, unless I've overlooked something). This would allow BBW users to send various midi instruments (guitar, piano, drums) to a mulit-port midi interface, then on to a particular sound engine, keyboard, etc.

Thanks,

Richard

#141165 - 07/05/12 09:14 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: rich in ca]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, New York an...
You haven't missed anything; this is one of the main advantages for RealBand over BIAB.

+1 though.

#141166 - 07/15/12 05:27 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: Matt Finley]
1manband Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Jenks, OK
How about a quick, easy way to change the octave on a track? Many times I've wished that a strings part was an octave higher throughout an entire song; the only way I know to do it is to edit the style and do a +12 to each component of the instrument I want to raise up an octave. If it has 4 lines of 5-8 elements in each, it takes awhile and is tedious. It would be wonderful if there were a "Change Octave" control that would allow the user to select -2, -1, +1, +2 for example.

Thanks for asking.

#141167 - 08/17/12 06:55 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: 1manband]
Shastastan Offline
Expert

Loc: CA
How about an Undo Button like in Real Band? Couldn't you use the same code that you already have written? Thanks.

Stan

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
Video - Downloading songs from a Mac to your iPhone

Watch this video to learn more about downloading songs to an iPhone from your desktop Mac over a WiFi connection.
Video: Downloading songs from a Mac to your iPhone

Dare to Compare - MIDI Synths and RealTracks

Interested in comparing various MIDI software and hardware synths with each other, and with RealTracks? Check out our Dare to Compare page! Here you can listen to the differences between the Coyote WT, Roland VSC, Cakewalk TTS, Coyote Forte, Roland SD-20, Roland SC-155 and the Ketron SD2 Orchestral Wizard!

RealTracks Artist Kenny Barron Istanbul Performance!

Kenny Barron teams up with Dave Holland for his latest performance in Istanbul! The performance is being held on Friday, October 31st - Click here to learn more about this event.

For a complete list of Kenny's upcoming performances, visit http://kennybarron.com/itinerary/

YouTube Playlist - Tips & Tricks

There's so much Band-in-a-Box can do! Our YouTube Channel: Tips & Tricks playlist takes an in-depth look at many of the features of Band-in-a-Box, offering tips and tricks to help you get the most out of the program!

Video - Woodshedding with Band-in-a-Box

When practicing (or "woodshedding") a tune, it is useful for the tempo to speed up every time the section loops or the song restarts from the beginning. This video will show you how to practice songs or parts of a song at automatically increasing tempos within Band-in-a-Box. Watch the YouTube Video to learn more!

RealTracks Artists “Jump In” to Fight Cancer

The Time Jumpers will be performing for the inaugural Dawn Sears and Friends Benefit for Lung Cancer Research on November 30th in Gallatin, TN. For more event information, visit: http://www.dawnsearsandfriends.com
The Time Jumpers band includes RealTracks Artists Andy Reiss, Jeff Taylor, Kenny Sears & Paul Franklin!

Video - UserTracks Tutorial

A few years ago, PG Music introduced RealTracks - audio tracks that replace the MIDI track for that instrument, and can be controlled just like the MIDI instrument (volume changes, muting etc.). Now with Band-in-a-Box 2014 you have the ability to create your own RealTracks!

To make your own RealTracks, simply record tracks in any DAW, name your UserTracks, and add them to the UserTracks folder in Band-in-a-Box. They are now ready to use, the same as you use other RealTracks! Watch the YouTube Video: UserTracks Tutorial to learn more!

Forum Stats
22153 Members
37 Forums
30464 Topics
243321 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
daddyblue, Bruce Cichowlas, yoharry, jgottlied, tracywitt

22153 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 159
Noel96 119