You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#153975 - 03/17/12 01:28 PM How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB?
rokq22 Offline
Apprentice

I must say, I'm almost overwhelmed as to how much stuff there is to learn on both. right am am mostly concerned with RB as I want to record a ton of things I have been working on. But as far as learning things well, up until now I have gotten by with BIAB by simply unfolding/expanding the chord sheet area and typing the chords in bar by bar until the end of the song(s). It was one of the first things I learned and didn't want to use it any other way as it worked fine. Well, up until now and I want to do MORE. Like change the drum beat after so many bars (and then back again) and just how to do that is beyond me. OK, the obvious thing is to read the manual some more and probably skip around to find the things I want to know about now. Also, perhaps, watch some more videos. In fact, I'm right here:

http://www.pgmusic.com/howtos.htm

..and have decided to start watching from the bottom and work my way up.

But I still would like to know, how did YOU learn your way around BIAB and RB? Did you spend a day (or a year) just clicking on things to see what would happen and remember the outcome? The thing I that I COULD, quite possibly, be here on the forum asking questions forever but I really don't want to.

#153976 - 03/17/12 01:43 PM Re: How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB? [Re: rokq22]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
I started by just diving in, and recording, and when i hit a snag, i pose a question. As i told Eddie, when he started, "Don't over think it" You need to get some work going, and learn from the experience.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#153977 - 03/17/12 02:05 PM Re: How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB? [Re: Robh]
seeker Online   content
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Do as Rob commented on.

If you have time? Sometimes the "un-retired" have to punch clocks.

Create a bookmarks or favorite folder for BIAB/RB.
Then start reading postings of interest on a regular basis.
Mark ones that may be close to what is needed in your future work.

Another tool as you are working and questions comes up is to
reference FAQ's PG has setup.
http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq.htm Just reviewing the titles is a very
handy reference. Definitely mark this in your folder.

I had several sets of "So-So" headphones. After asking bout "Studio" phones
got several excellent answers, but ended up with ATH-M40f/s by Audio Technica.

One of the best $60 investments made in the recording area.

Start monitoring/reading the Off Topic forum, and for "Learning to Listen" again.
Check out the Showcase forum. There are many excellent recordings posted. There
is a mixed array of experience levels, but so many are great.
Listen to the music, of course, but closely listen to all the various parts of the music
A decent set of Studio headphones allows you to go this.

Been an irreplaceable tool for me sitting here alone to listen to a lot of these songs.

And while your doing this, don't freak out. Time, experience, the mentors on this forum
and other forums are invaluable.

This music journey is supposed to be a grand experience.

Also don't tackle too much at once.

Again Rob's advice is excellent.

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#153978 - 03/17/12 02:08 PM Re: How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB? [Re: Robh]
rokq22 Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

I started by just diving in, and recording, and when i hit a snag, i pose a question. As i told Eddie, when he started, "Don't over think it" You need to get some work going, and learn from the experience.

Yeah, thanks. Frankly, I'm glad I'm happy I got passed the purchase interface, get it installed and be able to record part. (I almost feel like a "Pro" already! ) With that done I guess I can just "Jump into the water and learn to swim", sort of speak. Well, that and the occasional (I hope) question here and there.

@seeker,
And just think I AM retired! Indeed, I got most my day to do nothing else but learn this stuff. So, I guess, it's now like going back to school but this time I'll be learning stuff I really WANT to learn. Thanks for the advice, I really hadn't thought of reading the board but just thought I'd post away and ask questions I had and then read the responses. But, of course, if I have so many questions OTHERS would have had them also so I missed there posts. Will get to that. And, as I said before, watch more of the videos. And I definitely do NOT want to tackle too much as I get bummed out too easily when I do that.

Cheers

#153979 - 03/18/12 10:20 PM Re: How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB? [Re: rokq22]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

I'm still learning with every new release there are more cool features and I have not mastered all of them but having a lot of fun with each new discovery. I feel like I've only scratched the surface of what these programs can really do.

Ray Thigpen's tutorial helped me a lot when I first got into this three or four years ago. I knew next to nothing about computers or computer recording. I read everything on here I could and every tutorial I could find. The real learning though comes with much much experimenting - trying things. BTW, Dan made a great video last year. And now there are many more. Also searching and asking questions when I couldn't find or didn't understand something.

Laugh often and love much.

#153980 - 03/19/12 12:10 AM Re: How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB? [Re: Sundance]
multitracker Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Hibbing, MN
I too got a lot out of Ray Thigpen's tutorial when I was first starting out. Does anyone know if a copy of that tutorial still exists somewhere?

Terry
Realband 2014 UltrapakPlus on 500 GB USB drive. Computer: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 Laptop running Win7 Home Premium, 3 GB ram, 1.83 GHz Core2Duo, 250GB internal HardDrive, Realtek soundcard; using Asio4All.

#153981 - 03/19/12 12:04 PM Re: How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB? [Re: multitracker]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Terry,

I don't know if it's online anymore since his death but I still have the pdf file. If you want a copy PM me where to send it and I'll send you one.

Laugh often and love much.

#153982 - 03/19/12 09:52 PM Re: How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB? [Re: Sundance]
Shastastan Offline
Expert

Loc: CA
I do everything bassackwards--which is not a good way to do or learn things. This means that I decide to do a song that I like from start to end and then start out in the Index--the lazy guy's way. I had to learn how to add intros and endings, how to shorten/lengthen, change keys, tempos, volumes, yadayadayada. You just start somewhere. I've asked a number of questions from the good folks on these forums, but I have tried to read Help and even some books first. If I'm reading through posts and come across something I think I need to learn, I do a screen capture of that post and stick in in a folder. I look at the tutorial videos and faqs. Sometimes, I just save a file with a different name and try some changes to see what happens. I've been doing this a few years and still consider myself a rookie. As an old geezer, I think this is a great way to keep my mind active. There's a lot to learn, not only with biab and rb, but music theory as well. Yep, I've gotten stuck sometimes and tried alternatives that actually worked out pretty good. Gotta love those serendipitous epiphanies!

Stan

#153983 - 03/19/12 10:20 PM Re: How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB? [Re: Shastastan]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
I read the PowerTrack Pro Audio manual AFTER watching the introductory how-to video that came with the program. I made note of things done in the video that I wanted to learn how to do, then I tried them out. That was in 1996. Still learning DAW techniques and having fun and cranking out tunes while at it.

#153984 - 03/20/12 12:58 PM Re: How did you go about learning how to use BIAB and RB? [Re: rockstar_not]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

There is a youtube video on how to do anything, I learned how to use Logic Pro 9 that way.

PG Music News
The Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac PlusPAK Upgrade Option

Do you already own all the previously released RealTracks Sets 1-227 and Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Mac? The 2016 PlusPAK Upgrade may just be the purchase for you!

This upgrade is on sale for just $99 until May 31, 2016 (regular price $129). It includes:
-Band-in-a-Box® 2016
-201 NEW RealTracks in Sets 228-253
-The FREE BONUS PAK

You can choose to download this order, or have the installation DVDs shipped to you. Once you've received the installation files, simply install them to your existing Band-in-a-Box folder! The 2016 PlusPAK can be purchased here.

If you're interested in adding 24 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 2 Artist Video Performances, 8 MIDI SuperTracks, and 15 Instrumental Studies to your PlusPAK, add the Bonus 49-PAK for just $49!

RealBand 2016: Build 7 Update Patch Available!

Did you know... If you own Band-in-a-Box 2016 for Windows, you also own RealBand 2016!

With that in mind, a new update patch is available here.

Summary of Fixes for Build 7 (May 26, 2016):

Fixed: Lyrics from a .KAR file sometimes weren't displaying correctly.
Fixed: An issue in which the program might still freeze on exit if play wasn't pressed, GS Wavetable was the current synth, and ASIO4all was used.
Fixed: Access violation when double-clicking in the StylePicker.
Fixed: Quick Preview area of the StylePicker was broken.
Fixed: Spurious messages about rebuilding StylePicker when a rebuild was not necessary.
Updated: New RealBand logo/splash/icon added to program.

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Special - Time is Running Out!

We recently released Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac! To celebrate, we're offering up to 50% off on Upgrade packages - but only until May 31st. Plus, if you order your 2016 version during our special you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK of Add-ons that includes:

1 Artist Video Performance:
-Jack Stafford Sax: Indiana

3 MIDI SuperTracks:
-Piano, Rhythm FolkySwing Sw 110
-Piano, Electric, Rhythm FunkSwing16 Sw16 085
-Piano, Rhythm CountryBentNoteJohn Sw 085

4 Instrumental Studies:
-Bass, Electric, Jazz Funk Poppy, Ev16 110
-Guitar, Acoustic, Folk, 2-part Fingerpicking, Sw16 085
-Guitar, Electric, Blues and Rock, Medium Rock Soloist, Ev 120
-Piano, Acoustic, Jazz and Bossa, Solo-Accompaniment Jazz Stride, Sw 085

We're also offering a 49-PAK, with 24 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 2 Artist Video Performances, 8 MIDI SuperTracks, and 15 Instrumental Studies. Add it to your purchase for only $49!
These Add-ons are not included in any other package.

Learn more about your purchase options at www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm.

New Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Video: Fake Sheet Mode, Repeats, 1st/2nd Endings, Codas, etc.

The final Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac New Features video is ready, and we've added demonstrations of importing/exporting Music XML, chord chart customization, and more!

Check it out: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_eqADUKt71A

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Windows Build 434 Update Available!

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2016 for Windows.

Download the Band-in-a-Box 2016 Build 434 update (BETA) here.
This is considered to be a beta version because it is new.

Summary of changes for Build 434 (May 11, 2016):

Fixed: The [Options] button in the Repeats dialog would open the old Display Options window.
Fixed: The track buttons in the notation window would sometimes cause random messages to appear.
Fixed: The song title subgenres were not translated in localized versions.
Fixed: Edit | Lyrics | Copy Lyrics to Clipboard did not work with bar-based lyrics.
Fixed: Saving a scheme in Display Options might fail sometimes (error = "Failed to save scheme file").
Fixed: Rests & Pushes would not display in color while other chords in the same bar were being entered.
Fixed: N/A styles show in the StylePicker the first time it opens.
Fixed: In the What Add-ons do I have? dialog, RealTracks that only include RealDrums will be missing.
Fixed: When opening or importing a WAV file, and choosing "No" for the popup message "File is mono. Answer Yes to import as mono, or No to convert to stereo" would not convert the audio to stereo.
Fixed: When opening or importing a WAV file, and choosing "Cancel" for the popup message "File is mono. Answer Yes to import as mono, or No to convert to stereo" would not cancel the import.
Fixed: The track decibel offset saved in style files was not applying to UserTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Build 127 Update Available

We've released a Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac patch (build 127) that has a total of 60 updates, additions, and fixes!

Learn more about this free patch update (for 2016 customers) and download it here.

New Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Video - Fake Sheet Mode, Repeats, 1st/2nd Endings, Codas, etc.

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac is the upgrade you have been waiting for... and it includes the NEW Fake Sheet Mode, Repeats, 1st/2nd Endings, Codas, etc. feature!

Check out our latest video, which shows you how to make repeats, DS al Coda, Fine, 1st/2nd endings, etc. in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac. You'll also see the difference between having Fake Sheet mode on or off. Watch this new video here: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=YzJuhAsGJ_k

Learn all about the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
24762 Members
42 Forums
39868 Topics
316692 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
rockymountains, ecjr, Sfbowman, CloudNine, beyond chops

24761 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 163
Pat Marr 145