#356933 07/11/16 05:50 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
I'm running the Win 2016 (434) version on Windows 10.

In one particular song, I can't get a G... chord to "hold", it just keeps playing.
I know the function works OK because, if I enter a few chords into a "new" chord grid, and make one of them G... it plays correctly.

However, in the current song, it won't.
The style is C_2STEP.STY, the tempo is 90 and the chords are:

| G - D7 | G - G... | G | D7 | etc.

I thought perhaps there was an Options > Preferences setting whereby this particular song was set to something like: "Ignore shot/rest/hold entries" but I can't find anything like that.

I've tried
- deleting the G... chord and re-entering it
- removing the entire bar and re-entering it
- shutting down BIAB and re-starting
- restarting Windows

Any ideas? Help!

Thanks!
LLOYD S

Veteran
Veteran
Is the song frozen?

Is it possible you have rendered an audio file of the song, and that's what you are hearing?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L

- Checked the tracks, all are MIDI, none are frozen
- Changed a chord in the song from G to A and replayed the song. Still no "hold" on the aforementioned G... chord but it did play the A instead of G. I assume that indicated the song hasn't been rendered.

I also saved the song to a thumb drive, then loaded and played it (same BIAB version) but running Win XP. Same result.

Thanks Matt!
Any other suggestions?

Veteran
Veteran
Do any instruments hold?

Are you up to date on RealTracks updates? Among the most recent changes were adding to the Holds. I think almost all instruments have holds now but some may not still.
EDIT never mind that, I just re-read that this is all MIDI. Can you see the notation and does it show notes holding?

Last edited by Matt Finley; 07/11/16 06:46 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Matt:

All the instruments are MIDI in the stated style, C_2STEP.STY and I haven't substituted any RealTracks.

Also, as I mentioned, that style and the G... chord designation works fine in a brand New file. It must be something in this particular song.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just open 2 instances of BIAB, then copy the Chords from one and paste it into the other!

I would just re-do the the entire song but it also has a melody line, again which can't be copied and pasted to a new song.

Thanks again for your help.
Let me know if you think of anything else I can try.

LLOYD S

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> Wouldn't it be nice if you could just open 2 instances of BIAB, then copy the Chords from one and paste it into the other!

You can open song 1, copy the chords, and then open song 2, and paste the chords (from song 1 into song 2)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Peter:

I tried that using both the Copy and Paste functions and the Ctrl/C and Ctrl/V functions. I can't get either of those to work between 2 instances of BIAB.

Lloyd S

L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
OK, Peter's method worked fine if you...

- Highlight the chords in the song and then "Copy"
- Use File > New to open a blank grid
- Position cursor in new file and "Paste"

Thanks Peter!

I'll try that for the Melody and report back.

LLOYD S

Veteran
Veteran
I don't think Peter meant between two open instances, but in the same instance. Open the song you want to copy from (instance 2, assuming you saved it) in instance 1, then copy the chords you want. Then open a new file or open an existing file in instance 1 (which closes the other file, but don't save it) and paste the chords into the new song. A couple extra steps.

But I agree that it would be much cleaner if the two instances shared the same paste buffer, especially without having to save the file each time, which you may not want to do while figuring things out.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
The Copy and Paste function works for the Melody too.
BIAB now honors the G... chord and the song plays as expected.

Thanks again Peter!
(Is there any way to copy/paste between open instances?)

LLOYD S

Expert
Expert
I'm a little late to the topic since the problem has been solved as described. But, perhaps it has something to do with the 2 places that need to be selected for shots, holds to be activated in the song file as it is saved. So far this solution has only been applied to RealTracks not a MIDI only style but why not try both settings anyhow to see what happens.
Review this thread for potential solution.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=51203&Number=352259#Post352259

There are 2 settings to check in order to get Shots, Holds and Pushes to behave with RealTracks in BIAB 2016. (and perhaps other versions)

A: Preferences | RealTracks | RealTracks Settings dialog ' [_] Allow RealTracks Shots, Holds and Pushes

B: Song Settings (above the tempo box) |
[_] Allow RealTracks Shots, Holds and Pushes.

I could not get my chords to hold (sustain) until I had found and checked both of these.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Tobias:

As you stated, the problem was with a MIDI file and no RealTracks were involved so the settings you describe wouldn't apply to this situation.

As far as I can tell, it was simply a case of that particular song file becoming corrupt. Once I copied and pasted the chords and melody to a new file as per Peter and jford's suggestion, that G... "held" chord played just fine.

I haven't found any other files where a held MIDI chord wouldn't play as instructed and I can't seem to replicate the problem.

Thanks for your reminder about the RealTracks "hold" chords.

LLOYD S

Veteran
Veteran
Glad you solved it. Corrupt BIAB files are rare in my experience, plus there are cases like this where we might conclude the file is corrupt, stop looking, and never find the real answer.

It might be interesting for us to look at your song if you can post a link to it (Dropbox etc.). And just for curiosity, did this song start with a MIDI file you downloaded?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tobias
There are 2 settings to check in order to get Shots, Holds and Pushes to behave with RealTracks in BIAB 2016. (and perhaps other versions)

A: Preferences | RealTracks | RealTracks Settings dialog ' [_] Allow RealTracks Shots, Holds and Pushes

B: Song Settings (above the tempo box) |
[_] Allow RealTracks Shots, Holds and Pushes.

I could not get my chords to hold (sustain) until I had found and checked both of these.

Tobias, this is indeed one of those 'gotcha' items that can be hard to find. This would make a nice Tips & Tricks entry.

L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L

Matt:

The file I used was not a MIDI download file, although it WAS a file from somewhere else (don't remember the origin) and just modified by me.

I've put it into a "BIAB test" folder in my DropBox account. Send me a PM if you want access to it (I believe all I need is your email address).

Thanks!
LLOYD S

Veteran
Veteran
I've seen that "somewhere else" reason before, hence my question. Yes, I'd like to look at it. Sending a PM.

L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Matt:

I replied to your PM.

Thanks!
LLOYD S

Veteran
Veteran
OK, I loaded your song. You're right, it does not obey the held chords in the intro and near the end.

Try running MIDI Monitor (in the Window menu) while playing your song. I see a ton of Control Changes and Sustain Pedals in there. These are not normally in my songs. Just a guess, but I think they came from "somewhere else" and are interfering with BIAB's chord controls to hold a chord.

You might also consider sending a Dropbox link to the song to support@pgmusic.com and reference this thread.

L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L

Matt:

I've sent a link and a message to Support as per your suggestion.
Glad you found something amiss. I was beginning to think senility had
finally caught up to me <grin>.

Thanks again for your help!
LLOYD S

L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
After sending the file to Support, I got the following info back from Kent:

"Hi Lloyd,

There's nothing really wrong with this song file, it's doing exactly what it was told to do.

If you open Song Settings, you'll see that all of the checkboxes at the top have been unchecked. In this case, the relevant one is "Allow Rests in First Chorus". Holds are considered a type of rest in Band-in-a-Box, and unchecking that box tells Band-in-a-Box to ignore them.

All of those boxes (except for "Force Song to Simple Arrangement") are checked by default, that's why copying the chords into a new song got the chord to hold."

Mystery solved!
Thanks Kent!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Happy Victoria Day! (Monday, May 20th)

We are celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 20th!

Our availability through this long weekend is:

Saturday, May 18: Closed
Sunday, May 19: Closed
Monday, May 22: 6am-6pm PT

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,799
Posts737,420
Members38,587
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
minimashi, pharmaplug1, EricQP, JelleY, Akzz
38,586 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 169