Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#157493 - 04/21/12 12:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] ACW problem
WienSam Offline
Veteran

Loc: A corner of Vienna, Austria, t...
On importing a track into ACW, I get a note that states "Unanticipated host error" with a tick button below it that says 'OK@. There is no option but to click OK. The track then finishes loading, tempo and bars and beats are worked out BUT the 'Play' button is kind of greyed out and there is no response if you click on it

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what

#157494 - 04/21/12 12:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: WienSam]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
What kind of track?
How do you import it into ACW?
RB or BiaB?

#157495 - 04/21/12 12:58 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: rharv]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
and what format of audio file are you importing?

#157496 - 04/21/12 05:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: Pat Marr]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Also, does the problem exist with other audio files? (BTW, what version of BIAB do you have?)

#157497 - 04/21/12 10:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: Noel96]
WienSam Offline
Veteran

Sorry, I had a feeling I might not have given enough detail. Latest version fully updated of BIAB 2012 (349) and I get the file (either mp3 or wav) by opening RB then under <File> selecting <Launch Audio Chord Wizard...>

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

#157498 - 04/21/12 10:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: WienSam]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Hi Sam. So, you solved your 'no sound' problem earlier today?

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=360469&an=0&page=0#Post360469
BIAB 2017 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#157499 - 04/21/12 10:59 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: Matt Finley]
WienSam Offline
Veteran

No, Matt. Not yet. Just added more info over there

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

#157500 - 04/22/12 12:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: WienSam]
WienSam Offline
Veteran

Now I seem to have found the solution to this and my other sound problem by changing from ASIO to MME. But why should this solve it?

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

#157501 - 04/22/12 12:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: WienSam]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

Now I seem to have found the solution to this and my other sound problem by changing from ASIO to MME. But why should this solve it?

its the dreaded ASIO gremlins. They get everybody at one time or another.

my theory is that ASIO stands for

Awwww
Shucks (or some other similar word)
It's

whereas MME stands for

Makin'
Music!!
Eeeeyahoooo!

or not. Maybe I dreamed it.
(Seems to work that way for a lot of people though...)

#157502 - 04/22/12 08:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: Pat Marr]
rharv Offline
Veteran

"Now I seem to have found the solution to this and my other sound problem by changing from ASIO to MME. But why should this solve it? "

incorrect, corrupt, or incompatible ASIO driver .. or just wrong ASIO driver chosen.
At this point, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#157503 - 04/22/12 12:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: rharv]
WienSam Offline
Veteran

So should I just forget ASIO?

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

#157504 - 04/22/12 01:59 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: WienSam]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Have you tried do not map this device in audio properties? Just a thought.

#157505 - 04/23/12 09:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: WienSam]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

So should I just forget ASIO?

Yes.

There is NO difference in the sound quality.

Both ASIO and MME/WDM create the same kind of PCM Audio .wav files.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#157506 - 04/23/12 12:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: Mac]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Sam, the only reason to use ASIO is if you're playing/recording the sounds of a software midi synth in real time as you're listening to other tracks. ASIO reduces the latency (delay) you hear using MME. A hardware external synth has no latency. Unless you have a midi guitar or you're playing a midi keyboard through your PC and using a software synth, no need for ASIO.

Bob

#157507 - 04/24/12 07:14 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ACW problem [Re: jazzmammal]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Here's the difference in a nutshell (as seen by rharv)

When you use ASIO, the idea is to play a keyboard and have the MIDI from a keyboard come into the computer and generate a softsynth. Or to record audio and use the realtime effects on the input. Example: sing into a mic and hear the reverb from a DXi or VST effect in real time.

If you don't use those features you don't need ASIO. You may want to, and on some systems these drivers actually work better, but this helps determine the need.

The reason: when the MIDI comes in (or the audio) the computer is tasked with creating a sound right away. The sooner the better! So ASIO runs in the system with much lower latency (delay) because it makes itself a priority. By doing this it adds stress to a system. Some systems and drivers are fine with this, some not so much.

MME, on the other hand, doesn't respond as quickly. This is because the audio buffer it uses is much larger, so it doesn't tax the system so much. It still creates the same sound, but just does it with less stress on the machine and a bigger buffer.

This buffer comes into play in many ways, but most are not needed by many users except in the above two examples.
Some others would include:
Response to a mixer interface (including the program mixer)
Milliseconds of time between hitting play and the file starting (buffer load)

Things that require immediate response.
Otherwise, they are indistinguishable in the end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® and Pro Tools

Are you a Pro Tools user? Have you seen our video, Using Band-in-a-Box to Supercharge Pro Tools?

Watch it now to learn how the powerful combination of Band-in-a-Box® and Pro Tools can boost your music creativity: Video - Using Band-in-a-Box to Supercharge Pro Tools

YouTube Find - My First Backing Track, First YouTube Video

We love that YouTube user Rick Mccann posted a video playing along with his first backing track using Band-in-a-Box!

Watch - First YouTube Video

What a great job - hopefully we see more from Rick!

User Tip - Differences Between the 'Regular' and Audiophile Version... #TipTuesday

Long time program user and forum member Matt Finley had shared his tip regarding the Audiophile version of Band-in-a-Box earlier this year, and it's still valid today!

If you've ever wondered what the difference between the 'regular version' of Band-in-a-Box and the Audiophile version, make sure you read through his forum post: Tip: differences between the 'regular' and audiophile version - it's well written, and always great to hear about the program from fellow users!

The Audiophile Version includes the entire contents of the EverythingPAK and adds the uncompressed WAV or AIFF files for all the included RealTracks & RealDrums! Learn more about the Audiophile version: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.audiophile.htm

Band-in-a-Box® User Feedback - Wow!

There are so many ways to get in touch with people these days... phone, email, social networking, etc.... so of course we hear more feedback from program users these days!
...and here's what they're saying:

"I discovered Band in a Box about a year ago. I hesitated several times before purchasing it as I couldn't quite believe it was going to be as good as the hype. I eventually relented and I can honestly say, it's an incredible program and does some amazing things. As a songwriter, it's an indispensable tool and I can't imagine not having it."
-Vince C.

"I bought the first band in a box for my Atari 1040 ST and I used it for at least 10 years before upgrading to a Windows computer. After real drums, and then real tracks, came out I have upgraded every December since. The program is absolutely inspired and inspirational."
-Kirk O.

"Not everyone can find or afford real musicians to assist them when writing songs - and if working from home, as many songwriters do, there might not be room for them. Band In A Box does the next best thing and takes recordings of real musicians performing, then makes the material available pretty much in real time, in a form that adapts to your own composition by following the chord sequences. Hard to explain simply, but fairly amazing in practice."
-Steve C.

"Great tool for musicians - and the drummer keeps a steady beat!!"
-Maurice A.

"Great for learning new songs. I was weak on country rock songs and with the combination of using Riffstation and BIAB I am able to creat my own backup track for live performance and practicing songs with easier chording... Thanks PG!"
-Laurent C.

"I have it since 2001, use it all the time, great program!"
-John F.

"Thank you Band in a Box. I am a songwriter, and don't play several instruments, so I love being able to wear 2 hats and write and produce, and then later record vocals... You have probably saved me months/years on my project. Excellent tool. Thanks again!"
-Randy A.

"Didn't think I would ever go down that road but got roped into it by another muso friend, bought it and now loving it!"
-Fred P.

Let us know what you think! Post a review on our Band-in-a-Box Comments page, visit our Facebook page, or contact us directly.

User Blog - How I Am Using Band-in-a-Box to Learn to Play by Ear

Check out Joanne Cooper's October blog post: How I am using Band-in-a-Box to learn to play by ear!

Thank you for sharing this Joanne!

Woodshedding with Band-in-a-Box® #TrainYourBrainDay

Don't let the Woodshedding feature in Band-in-a-Box® pass you by - it's a great way to hone your musical skills! The Woodshedding feature within Band-in-a-Box is easily accessed within the Practice toolbar of the program. Change the settings to fit your needs... the idea is that you start off with a slow tempo, playing the part perfectly, and keep this up as the song tempo increases - what a great way to learn!

We added 12-Key "Woodshedding" RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box 2017! These have been recording in all 12 keys, so you can see what a pro would play over an Ab chord, and you won't see them play on a G transposed up to an Ab, and carefully transcribed notation, with correct bend/hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides...

We have made some of these for country guitar (Brent Mason), piano (Mike Rojas), and pedal steel (Eddy Dunlap) with RealTracks Set 254!

We even have a Woodshedding - Learning to Play! Forum where you can post anything to do with learning to play any musical instrument (including vocals)!

#TBT - YouTube Find: Band-in-a-Box, Complex Numbers (Math with Marty!)

Learn a little history about Band-in-a-Box and Peter Gannon when you check out this blast-from-the-past YouTube video: Band-in-a-Box, Complex Numbers.

What a great find!

Forum Stats
26488 Members
50 Forums
47870 Topics
390743 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
haigashod, Claudio Goldfarb, Rantis, gregg_2211, StrumBum

26487 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 164