Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi All

My September blog post is a little earlier in the month than normal because next week I am doing my first very own formal show (outside of the National Arts Festival). Wish me luck because I am more than a little nervous that nobody will pitch!

Floyd, Mario and Kevin, you all feature in this one. Band-in-a-box and RealBand are, of course, center stage. Any comments are as always much appreciated.

My musicians digital toolbox for music making and marketing - Part 1

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi JoanneCooper, thank you for sharing your blog with us! We are glad to hear that Band-in-a-Box plays an important role in your creative process!

If you are looking for more knowledge to help you get more out of Band-in-a-Box, I recommend visiting our Tips and Tricks section seen on the forum. Seen here: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=31&page=1

Cheers,
Joe
Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
AS always, oozing with knowledge and useful tips.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Joe and Lambada. Do you mind if I add your comments to my blog on my website?
Regards
Joanne

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne,

This is a great blog. It is so funny, I am married to so much of the same stuff. But I think simplicity is best.

I have Sonar and every VST and sound library known to man but I steadfastly record inside Real Band--it is so easy and reliable--and fiddle with the tracks in Audacity.

Ozone 5 and the TT_DR meter you mentioned are two things I could not live without.

Great column. It is SO easy to get carried away with all the widgets when sometimes simplicity will get us there with a richer sound.

smile

It sure comes through in your fine work!!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Joanne,

This is a great blog. It is so funny, I am married to so much of the same stuff. But I think simplicity is best.

I have Sonar and every VST and sound library known to man but I steadfastly record inside Real Band--it is so easy and reliable--and fiddle with the tracks in Audacity.

Ozone 5 and the TT_DR meter you mentioned are two things I could not live without.

Great column. It is SO easy to get carried away with all the widgets when sometimes simplicity will get us there with a richer sound.

smile

It sure comes through in your fine work!!!

David. Thanks so much. I tend to be like a dog with a bone about some tools and only when I really cant do something I want to do then I think about purchasing something else. My default is always to try and find free software like Audacity and Bandicam and when I run out of options I look at "The Paid Option". I am SO glad I took the plunge back in 2012 with BIAB as it completely transformed my life as a musician.

Isn't that TT_DR meter the best thing? Kevin Emmrich posted about that. I use it all the time.

Do you mind if I add your comments to my blog?

Off-Topic
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Joanne -- this is a great and informative blog post! I also love that you addressed my #1 pet peeve... improperly tagged MP3s! The amount of music I have on my computer from people who have sent me anonymous files is staggering...

Last edited by Will B - PG Music; 09/26/16 11:50 AM.

Will - PG Music
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Joanne,

You have done an excellent job with this blog.

Like others here I see some tools and ways of working that mirror my own but I found your method for recording harmonies very interesting. Also I will have to investigate the Duelling Mixes website.

Coincidentally I was looking at getting a USB condenser Mic for quick recordings and when using my laptop. I already use a phantom powered one when recording with my main PC. I had shortlisted the Samson Meteor before I saw your blog. Are you still happy with it as might bite the bullet and get one myself?

Thanks for a very useful resource.

Rec
P.S. A minor fix - at 4.3 the link to TT DR Offline Meter is missing the "r" at the end so results in "page not found". You just need to include the "r" at the end of "meter" in the link.

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Rec. Thank you. I have fixed the link to the TT Meter.

Yes, I am still delighted with my Samson Meteor. It is what I use all the time for recording my vocals (bear in mind that I am only recording vocals. The rest is all Real Tracks).

It produces a very clean recording which I can then compress etc in Real Band. I once sent a clean vocal track straight from the Meteor to our very own Floyd Jane and he was very impressed with the quality. So I am sticking with it for the time being.

I love using Real Band for harmonies. Saves me a lot of time!

Do you mind if I post your comment to my blog?

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for the info Joanne.

The Meteor sounds great (no pun intended). I will let you know if I go ahead with one.

I didn't realise that RB included harmonising software until I read your blog so I will definitely check it out and see how it compares to the various options I use.

Yes feel free to post it to your blog.

All the best,
Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: receder
Thanks for the info Joanne.

The Meteor sounds great (no pun intended). I will let you know if I go ahead with one.

I didn't realise that RB included harmonising software until I read your blog so I will definitely check it out and see how it compares to the various options I use.

Yes feel free to post it to your blog.

All the best,
Rec

Hi Receder. Just a quick comment about harmonies. They are also available in BIAB. I've found it useful to use them in BIAB early in my workflow process to audition when and where to place harmonies without losing time going back and forth between BIAB and RB. I use it a lot when I'm just playing with BIAB and not working on an actual project. It's great for testing out ideas on the fly.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Hi Receder. Just a quick comment about harmonies. They are also available in BIAB. I've found it useful to use them in BIAB early in my workflow process to audition when and where to place harmonies without losing time going back and forth between BIAB and RB. I use it a lot when I'm just playing with BIAB and not working on an actual project. It's great for testing out ideas on the fly.

Thanks for the tip Charlie. I find myself doing most things in my DAW but I guess it would be useful to audition things as you say from within BIAB or RB.

Cheers
Rec
P.S. Loved the Hotel California YouTube video with that gorgeous white borrowed Gibson SG twin neck. I have always lusted after one of those ever since seeing Jimmy Page playing a cherry one in "The Song Remains the Same".

Last edited by receder; 09/27/16 03:21 AM.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Charlie/Joanne,

Well what can I say! cool I have just had a go of the harmonizer in BIAB/RB and was amazed that it is by TC Helicon!

I have recently been looking for harmony software as good as my TC Helicon Voicelive 3 pedal and was disappointed to find that TCH only do something for ProTools HD (see here). The one built into BIAB is by TCH and seems to be software that is not for sale outside of BIAB.
It works REALLY well. Now if I could use it outside of BIAB/RB as well I would be ecstatic smile

Nice one!

Cheers
Rec

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Also I will have to investigate the Dueling Mixes website.

Hey Receder, that's a subscription service set up by none other than Graham at therecordingrevolution.com.

I just joined a few weeks ago and it seems like a fun way to get mixing experience in.

The URL is actually http://duelingmixes.mykajabi.com/ but there's nothing to see unless you're already a member.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Also, Joanne, it'd be great to hear about your experience with and opinion of LANDR.I've heard mixed reports from other people, but it's probably a great idea to do what you do with it, which is to establish reference tracks to work against. Thoughts?

Will - PG Music
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good article Joanne! I've been to about half of those sites myself in the past. Nice way to summarize it all in one post. Good job!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: sslechta

Hey Receder, that's a subscription service set up by none other than Graham at therecordingrevolution.com.

I just joined a few weeks ago and it seems like a fun way to get mixing experience in.

The URL is actually http://duelingmixes.mykajabi.com/ but there's nothing to see unless you're already a member.

Thanks Steve. Didn't realise it was run by Graham...I have watched most of his Youtube videos.
The subscription works out at about 20 UK pounds / month which is quite a lot unless you get a lot of use out of it so I might wait until I have some time on my hands!

Thanks
Rec

Last edited by receder; 09/27/16 07:02 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Steve. Didn't realise it was run by Graham...I have watched most of his Youtube videos.
The subscription works out at about 20 UK pounds / month which is quite a lot unless you get a lot of use out of it so I might wait until I have some time on my hands!

I'm kind of in the same boat. Trying it out for a few months to see if I can take advantage of all the mix training and community. If I don't have the time to get the money's worth of mix training in, I'll gracefully bow out.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Charlie/Joanne,

Well what can I say! cool I have just had a go of the harmonizer in BIAB/RB and was amazed that it is by TC Helicon!

I have recently been looking for harmony software as good as my TC Helicon Voicelive 3 pedal and was disappointed to find that TCH only do something for ProTools HD (see here). The one built into BIAB is by TCH and seems to be software that is not for sale outside of BIAB.
It works REALLY well. Now if I could use it outside of BIAB/RB as well I would be ecstatic smile

Nice one!

Cheers
Rec

Hi Rec,

This may be what you are looking for:

https://products.zplane.de/vielklang

I have it and it works with Windows as a VST. Up to four part harmony with spacial placing.

Waves also has a harmonizer for around $100 USD but I have no experience with it.

Also in Melodyne you can create your own harmonies via pitch shifting. Melodyne is the best but also the most costly and time consuming.

I hope this helps and good luck - MarioD

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks Mario,

I am a long time user of Melodyne but when they updated it to v4 earlier in the year it became very unstable for me and many other Sonar users (actually it's unstable standalone too). There are many Sonar forum threads on the subject and Celemony are apparently working on a fix. It's an odd one because it works fine for many users. It was this that started me looking for alternatives.

I already tried vielklang, in fact I still have an old demo installed (might be worth trying an update though). I also got Waves Tune LT with the Waves Gold Bundle a few weeks ago although I find it a bit clunky compared to Melodyne. The Antares products are also good but again not comparable to Melodyne for transparency IMHO.

I noticed that Melda MMultiBandHarmonizer is on 50% off deal at the moment so will probably pick that up.
See HERE. It offers some unique features for a low price.

I really like the built-in harmonizer in BIAB; just wish I had discovered it earlier, lol!

All the best,
Rec

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,350
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182