You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#374490 - 11/16/16 10:30 AM [Off-Topic] Photoshop for Audio
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
SoundCloud

#374518 - 11/16/16 01:02 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
Will B - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

This is so crazy... I remember when Photoshop was coming out people thought that it would completely destroy the idea of photographic evidence. And yet now there are experts who can tell with almost certain accuracy that an image has been photoshopped. Hopefully the same will happen with this! If nothing else it'll be great for pranking your friends smile

#374557 - 11/16/16 05:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Very impressive indeed.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#374561 - 11/16/16 05:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
That was fun.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#374610 - 11/17/16 03:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I'm glad they have "audio watermarking" technology built in, especially with this election season where so many candidates said, "I never said that". As was said, this could be scary in the wrong hands.

But as was also said, twenty minutes of recorded audio would allow anyone's voice to be be the reader of an audio book.

My previous Kindle Paperwhite had text to speech built in (so I could plug in headphones and "listen" to my book). It was very robotic sounding (which was jarring until your brain got used to it), but this type of technology could potentially let "me" read books aloud with just 20 minutes of recorded content as the basis.

Alas, my next Paperwhite removed the headphone jack and text to speech (so I can't "read" my book while driving anymore).

Pretty cool stuff, though.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#374635 - 11/17/16 05:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

SO....

I'm thinking..... there's law suits coming from this technology down the road.

He's my reasoning: So I could write a song, and get ...oh, lets say, a sample of Celine Dion's voice and using this technology, have her voice singing it. Or, for that matter, any other singer in the world. I'm thinking their lawyers would be in touch pretty quickly on that matter.

Really, it's almost kinda here anyway. There's already the vocaloid series of vocal synths..... this is just taking it to the next level.

However, the possibilities are really endless with this. Now, not only do you not have to be able to play an instrument to have a top quality back up band.... (Band in a Box).... but now, you don't even have to be able to carry a tune in a bucket to be able to sing with the superstars.

Isn't technology GREAT!!!!

Edited by Guitarhacker (11/17/16 05:16 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#374637 - 11/17/16 05:27 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
"...but now, you don't even have to be able to carry a tune in a bucket to be able to sing with the superstars."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28oq4W2PPk

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#374638 - 11/17/16 05:29 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: 90 dB]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"...but now, you don't even have to be able to carry a tune in a bucket to be able to sing with the superstars."

Always a classic Bob.... never fails to bring a smile....:-)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#374639 - 11/17/16 05:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: Guitarhacker]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
So I could write a song, and get ...oh, lets say, a sample of Celine Dion's voice and using this technology, have her voice singing it. Or, for that matter, any other singer in the world. I'm thinking their lawyers would be in touch pretty quickly on that matter.

Do you (or anybody else) remember the Fairlight CMI? It was THE thing back in the 80s. At the time they started at $25,000 so not many of us had one, but inside that Computerized Musical Instrument (CMI) you had the ability to do exactly that. You could sample a voice and it was able to take that voice sample and make it become a synthesized voice that would sing anything you could play into it, AND it had the ability to read what you typed it. I think they were Australian and the cost hurt them, but I know Peter Gabriel did one whole album with a Fairlight and a Linn drum machine. There was a studio in Cleveland that had one and I booked an hour of time just to get a demo of the Fairlight. And the guy who owned the place, Bill Cavanaugh, ended up showing it to me for almost 3 hours and didn't charge me at all.

So this is not new technology. That doesn't exclude the lawsuit angle, as I assume the estate of Elvis Presley would probably sue the pants off anybody who released a new Elvis album with synthesized vocals....

#374646 - 11/17/16 06:31 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
The real problem is will they sell this program outright or only have you rent it like they do with Photoshop?

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#374651 - 11/17/16 06:47 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
MikeK Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
Very cool!

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#374656 - 11/17/16 07:37 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MarioD]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Wow! That is pretty wild. The future should hold some interesting options!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
The real problem is will they sell this program outright or only have you rent it like they do with Photoshop?

That REALLY funny!

I'm also picturing BIAB doing something along these lines...vocals "in the style of Saleen Deeyon."

Quote:
but now, you don't even have to be able to carry a tune in a bucket to be able to sing with the superstars.

The sad thing about this is, that's what most people already think it is. And I'm sure some will comment here that that is how it is.

I still feel it is SO flippin' hard to get a really great vocal even WITH all of the technology we have.

Edited by HearToLearn (11/17/16 07:37 AM)

#374657 - 11/17/16 07:42 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
If I understood the limited demo, it required having twenty minutes of the voice already recorded so that, like BIAB, the appropriate snippet can be chosen under command (in this case, a spelled word). So if you can get Celine Dion to record twenty minutes of the right spoken words for you, you can have her speak the song lyrics. Then we're into vocoders or Melodyne or ?

Still, quite fascinating.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#374658 - 11/17/16 07:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: eddie1261]
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Hahaha!!!

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
So I could write a song, and get ...oh, lets say, a sample of Celine Dion's voice and using this technology, have her voice singing it. Or, for that matter, any other singer in the world. I'm thinking their lawyers would be in touch pretty quickly on that matter.

the Fairlight CMI?

So this is not new technology. That doesn't exclude the lawsuit angle, as I assume the estate of Elvis Presley would probably sue the pants off anybody who released a new Elvis album with synthesized vocals....

Kate Bush also did some phenomenal stuff with the Fairlight.

I think you're both right, though -- if imitating a specific voice becomes easy, copyrighting the sound of specific voices will also become easy smile

#374705 - 11/17/16 01:52 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Related, but if it is derailing the thread, I can remove...

Fairlight...interesting.

#374717 - 11/17/16 02:21 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: HearToLearn]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#374741 - 11/17/16 04:46 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
It'll be interesting to see it working with sung words and phrases. I can't wait to do videos of my dogs talking or singing to each other! whistle

Edited by lambada (11/17/16 04:46 PM)
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#374871 - 11/18/16 10:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: 90 dB]
PG Music Staff

I guess this is a Fairlight thread now! I'm not complaining!

Awesome article -- 30 MINUTES OF NEW MUSIC PER WEEK?!? That's insane, I had no idea. I know what I'm binge-watching this weekend...

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Related, but if it is derailing the thread, I can remove...

Fairlight...interesting.

That's awesome, reminds me of this:

Herbie Hancock demonstrating the Fairlight on Sesame Street!

PG Music News
Get to Know The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK for Mac

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac during our special and you will receive a Free Bonus PAK which includes Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, 10 MIDI SuperTracks, 7 Instrumental Studies, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated bonus Styles, and 52 Loops for Band-in-a-Box!

Take it a step further and add a 49-PAK to your purchase for only $49! Add the 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac purchase and you'll receive these GREAT Band-in-a-Box Add-ons:
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band
ALL 40 UNRELEASED Bonus RealTracks
22 MIDI SuperTracks
101 Instrumental Studies
Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

Get to Know The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK: Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac- 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Pro & MegaPAK RealCombos!

We've added MORE to the RealCombos included in the Pro & MegaPAK packages with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro includes 300 RealTracks instruments in over 100 bands - that's 100+ more than previous years - listen to them here.

There are now over 500 RealTracks in 300 Bands in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 MegaPAK! Take a look at all the RealTracks & RealDrums in the MegaPAK here.

To receive the new version with these new RealCombos, upgrade during our special for as little as $59! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm.

Get ALL the Regular RealTracks & RealDrums when you upgrade to an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition!

Title Track Day, May 23, 2018!

Did you know... today is Title Track Day!

Which album do you think of on this special day? Better yet, have you created your own album and named it after a song?

Join the converation...

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Forum Stats
27513 Members
50 Forums
51842 Topics
428358 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Aimini, Korle, markmarkmark, Richard Black, jcbush13

27512 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 394
zedd 165