You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#374490 - 11/16/16 10:30 AM [Off-Topic] Photoshop for Audio
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
SoundCloud

#374518 - 11/16/16 01:02 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
Will B - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

This is so crazy... I remember when Photoshop was coming out people thought that it would completely destroy the idea of photographic evidence. And yet now there are experts who can tell with almost certain accuracy that an image has been photoshopped. Hopefully the same will happen with this! If nothing else it'll be great for pranking your friends smile

#374557 - 11/16/16 05:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Very impressive indeed.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#374561 - 11/16/16 05:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
That was fun.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#374610 - 11/17/16 03:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I'm glad they have "audio watermarking" technology built in, especially with this election season where so many candidates said, "I never said that". As was said, this could be scary in the wrong hands.

But as was also said, twenty minutes of recorded audio would allow anyone's voice to be be the reader of an audio book.

My previous Kindle Paperwhite had text to speech built in (so I could plug in headphones and "listen" to my book). It was very robotic sounding (which was jarring until your brain got used to it), but this type of technology could potentially let "me" read books aloud with just 20 minutes of recorded content as the basis.

Alas, my next Paperwhite removed the headphone jack and text to speech (so I can't "read" my book while driving anymore).

Pretty cool stuff, though.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#374635 - 11/17/16 05:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

SO....

I'm thinking..... there's law suits coming from this technology down the road.

He's my reasoning: So I could write a song, and get ...oh, lets say, a sample of Celine Dion's voice and using this technology, have her voice singing it. Or, for that matter, any other singer in the world. I'm thinking their lawyers would be in touch pretty quickly on that matter.

Really, it's almost kinda here anyway. There's already the vocaloid series of vocal synths..... this is just taking it to the next level.

However, the possibilities are really endless with this. Now, not only do you not have to be able to play an instrument to have a top quality back up band.... (Band in a Box).... but now, you don't even have to be able to carry a tune in a bucket to be able to sing with the superstars.

Isn't technology GREAT!!!!

Edited by Guitarhacker (11/17/16 05:16 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#374637 - 11/17/16 05:27 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
"...but now, you don't even have to be able to carry a tune in a bucket to be able to sing with the superstars."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28oq4W2PPk

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#374638 - 11/17/16 05:29 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: 90 dB]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"...but now, you don't even have to be able to carry a tune in a bucket to be able to sing with the superstars."

Always a classic Bob.... never fails to bring a smile....:-)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#374639 - 11/17/16 05:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: Guitarhacker]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
So I could write a song, and get ...oh, lets say, a sample of Celine Dion's voice and using this technology, have her voice singing it. Or, for that matter, any other singer in the world. I'm thinking their lawyers would be in touch pretty quickly on that matter.

Do you (or anybody else) remember the Fairlight CMI? It was THE thing back in the 80s. At the time they started at $25,000 so not many of us had one, but inside that Computerized Musical Instrument (CMI) you had the ability to do exactly that. You could sample a voice and it was able to take that voice sample and make it become a synthesized voice that would sing anything you could play into it, AND it had the ability to read what you typed it. I think they were Australian and the cost hurt them, but I know Peter Gabriel did one whole album with a Fairlight and a Linn drum machine. There was a studio in Cleveland that had one and I booked an hour of time just to get a demo of the Fairlight. And the guy who owned the place, Bill Cavanaugh, ended up showing it to me for almost 3 hours and didn't charge me at all.

So this is not new technology. That doesn't exclude the lawsuit angle, as I assume the estate of Elvis Presley would probably sue the pants off anybody who released a new Elvis album with synthesized vocals....

#374646 - 11/17/16 06:31 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
The real problem is will they sell this program outright or only have you rent it like they do with Photoshop?

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#374651 - 11/17/16 06:47 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
Very cool!

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#374656 - 11/17/16 07:37 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MarioD]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
Wow! That is pretty wild. The future should hold some interesting options!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
The real problem is will they sell this program outright or only have you rent it like they do with Photoshop?

That REALLY funny!

I'm also picturing BIAB doing something along these lines...vocals "in the style of Saleen Deeyon."

Quote:
but now, you don't even have to be able to carry a tune in a bucket to be able to sing with the superstars.

The sad thing about this is, that's what most people already think it is. And I'm sure some will comment here that that is how it is.

I still feel it is SO flippin' hard to get a really great vocal even WITH all of the technology we have.

Edited by HearToLearn (11/17/16 07:37 AM)

#374657 - 11/17/16 07:42 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
If I understood the limited demo, it required having twenty minutes of the voice already recorded so that, like BIAB, the appropriate snippet can be chosen under command (in this case, a spelled word). So if you can get Celine Dion to record twenty minutes of the right spoken words for you, you can have her speak the song lyrics. Then we're into vocoders or Melodyne or ?

Still, quite fascinating.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#374658 - 11/17/16 07:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: eddie1261]
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Hahaha!!!

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
So I could write a song, and get ...oh, lets say, a sample of Celine Dion's voice and using this technology, have her voice singing it. Or, for that matter, any other singer in the world. I'm thinking their lawyers would be in touch pretty quickly on that matter.

the Fairlight CMI?

So this is not new technology. That doesn't exclude the lawsuit angle, as I assume the estate of Elvis Presley would probably sue the pants off anybody who released a new Elvis album with synthesized vocals....

Kate Bush also did some phenomenal stuff with the Fairlight.

I think you're both right, though -- if imitating a specific voice becomes easy, copyrighting the sound of specific voices will also become easy smile

#374705 - 11/17/16 01:52 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
Related, but if it is derailing the thread, I can remove...

Fairlight...interesting.

#374717 - 11/17/16 02:21 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: HearToLearn]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#374741 - 11/17/16 04:46 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: MusicStudent]
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
It'll be interesting to see it working with sung words and phrases. I can't wait to do videos of my dogs talking or singing to each other! whistle

Edited by lambada (11/17/16 04:46 PM)
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#374871 - 11/18/16 10:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Photoshop for Audio [Re: 90 dB]
PG Music Staff

I guess this is a Fairlight thread now! I'm not complaining!

Awesome article -- 30 MINUTES OF NEW MUSIC PER WEEK?!? That's insane, I had no idea. I know what I'm binge-watching this weekend...

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Related, but if it is derailing the thread, I can remove...

Fairlight...interesting.

That's awesome, reminds me of this:

Herbie Hancock demonstrating the Fairlight on Sesame Street!

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 per MAC - Italian Release!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto, abbiamo aggiunto 50 nuove funzioni e una sorprendente collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Studi Strumentali, Loops, Performance di Musicisti, Presets Amplitube e stili associati, RealTracks in 12 tonalità, Notazione di Chitarra Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=it

YouTube Find - Live Recording of Casa Di Amore Performance using Band-in-a-Box Backing Tracks!

Wow - check out this audio recording of a live performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks! Click here to watch...

While you're there, take a look at Rick's YouTube channel - ALL of the recordings from their Casa Di Amore playlist include Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!
(These were all recorded during their 2005 performance at Casa Di Amore in Las Vegas Nevada.)

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Users LOVE Xtra Styles PAK 5!

We're excited to offer Xtra Styles PAK 5, with over 160 fully-mixed styles, including 35 new MIDI Styles... LOOK MA - ALL MIDI!

But, we're not the only ones in love with Xtra Styles PAK 5 - here's what you're saying:
"Wow! That's quite a collection!"
"Really appreciate all the new MIDI styles!"
"These have already helped my rhythm and intonation and given new life to my practice. And it is SO MUCH FUN."
"Simply awesome. Thanks, everyone at PG!"
"A great new PAK indeed!"
"Great new collection here!"
"I love the quality sound and variety i have to work with!"
"Way to go, PG Music!"
"Oh, they've made ALL-MIDI styles!!!"
"Best move I've ever made!"
"These new RealStyles are amazingly creative!"
"Outstanding!"
"Oh! Goody!!"

Save 40% when you purchase Xtra Styles PAK 5 for just $29 (reg. $49) during our special, which ends August 31st!
Click here to learn more, listen to demos, or order today!

Then, don't forget to enter your song, created using these new Styles, in our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest for your chance to win $150 PG Bucks!

Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Forum Stats
27842 Members
57 Forums
53103 Topics
440786 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
howarddavidp@gml, tritone7337, noameisen, Tangmo, Guitarrocks

27842 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 137