Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's been a busy gigging season so far this winter. Lots of gigs, and lots of songs to learn for clients and to get those gigs. In fact, I just got home from an afternoon gig an hour or so ago.

I've put every spare moment into it and it's finally done.

What's done?

BiaB changed the way the StylePicker works in 2016 which made the Norton Music and other user styles difficult or impossible to find. Peter Gannon and crew fixed that in version 2017 (thank you very much Peter and crew).

Peter got me started with this and I finally finished it. The files are available for download at http://www.nortonmusic.com and it is the first item on "What's New" on the home page. It's also available on the support page where it will stay even after it's removed from the what's new section.

The download comes zipped file with the files, instructions and an installation file (install.exe). Please let me know if this works or not for you. It works on my one and only copy of BiaB 2017 so it should. Also, please let me know if your anti-virus won't let you download a clean, harmless exe file.

Once the files are installed, re-boot BiaB, open the style picker window, do a slow complete reboot and the Norton files should be in there.

To find them, click the category arrow and then select Choose And Show User Category ...

The filters work just fine. To browse, just turn the filters off.

I tried it on an old BiaB 2012 version I have on a computer that was retired, and it still works on the old version of the StylePicker Window (I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't).

Please let me know if this works for you or not. The first few downloads will be unofficial beta testers. I see no way it can harm your BiaB, but it's always best to back up before installing anything new.

All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Norton

What's this all about is it midi .

I had a wee look on your website .

Do you supply midi files is that it.

...........?

biab 2017 everything all add ons ,win 7 i7 16gb, akai eie pro..,rode NT 1000, sonar pro,izo 7, lurssen mastering, Warm WA12 single channel microphone preamp, all waves bundle
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Thank you Sir!
I now have 252 Norton User styles showing up in the User Style Picker in addition to the 1,540 or so, BiaB midi only styles.
I prefer midi, because I own a LOT of high quality VSTi's, and I like to tweak things to perfection.

Boyd
Win10 - 16GB-RAM - BiaB 2019 - Mixbus 4 - Slate Bundle - Komplete 10 - Ozone 8 - Neutron 2 - Waves Gold
Ample Sound Guitars & Basses - Pianoteq 6 - SSD5 - SD3 - JamStix 4 - Omnisphere - UVI Falcon - EastWest Play
Sonarworks Reference 4 -
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Good on you Mate I just wanted to know what this was I aint against midi.

Have a good one

biab 2017 everything all add ons ,win 7 i7 16gb, akai eie pro..,rode NT 1000, sonar pro,izo 7, lurssen mastering, Warm WA12 single channel microphone preamp, all waves bundle
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: countryjoe
Hi Norton

What's this all about is it midi .

I had a wee look on your website .

Do you supply midi files is that it.

...........?

Hi Countryjoe,

I sell aftermarket BiaB styles. They are all MIDI files.

I also sell Fake "disks". They are no longer on disks, everything is direct download, but I've been calling them disks since 1992 and I don't know what else to call them.

The styles work with BiaB just like any MIDI style, as I make them in BiaB's style maker. The difference is they were made by a different musician, me (I play drums, bass, guitar, sax, wind synth, keyboard synth, and flute and I've gigged and done studio recording since I was a teenager).

The fake disks are chord progressions only, no melodies or lyrics (copyright restrictions) but most are done with off-the-shelf books, so you can load the song, open the book, and play along.

I started playing with BiaB when it was DOS for the PC, System 6 (OS6) for Macs (with Motorola CPUs), and the Atari/ST computer. I thought I could add value to the program, wrote some styles, and now it's a part-time business, supplementing my main income which is still gigging and first-call sax at local recording studios.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boydbob
Thank you Sir!
I now have 252 Norton User styles showing up in the User Style Picker in addition to the 1,540 or so, BiaB midi only styles.
I prefer midi, because I own a LOT of high quality VSTi's, and I like to tweak things to perfection.

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know it works on at least two computers now wink

I too prefer MIDI. I have a number of hardware synths, synth modules, and samplers and I too like to tweak things to perfection. I bought BiaB to PLAY with, and there are simply thousands of more ways to PLAY with MIDI.

Of course the RTs are great too. It's nice to have both.

Insights and incites by Notes

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Bob. Didnt know about yr website till now.
Excuse my ignorance but does this DL give me free new midi styles that will work in my BB2017?
WendyM

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I'm not Bob, but his download ensures that you will see his styles correctly as choices within BIAB. You do have to have bought them. Bob (Notes) does excellent work and you can preview everything he sells on his website.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Installation was very simple. At first Avast didn't like the .exe but after analysis said it was fine.

However, while I have lots of Norton Fake Disks I have now been reminded I don't have any Norton styles (well except the freebees over the years). Guess I need to do something about that. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: WendyM
Hi Bob. Didnt know about yr website till now.
Excuse my ignorance but does this DL give me free new midi styles that will work in my BB2017?
WendyM

They definitely work with BiaB, but they aren't free.

Like PG Music, I depend on the small price I charge to pay the rent, buy food, put gas in the car, and so on.

I also sell styles created by Roy Hawkesford and Sherry Mayrent. Roy is in England and created some nice pop and jazz styles and Sherry created a Klezmer disk that gets world wide acclaim.

In addition I sell fake 'disks' (everything is download now and no longer on disk) written by myself, David Bailey, and Jim Wedd.

The software I sell does not replace anything in BiaB, but enhances BiaB by adding new possibilities; styles written by different musicians (with different ways of playing) and fake disk song files that you can do yourself, but they take thousands of hours to compile so I can save you that much time.

Notes

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Installation was very simple. At first Avast didn't like the .exe but after analysis said it was fine.

However, while I have lots of Norton Fake Disks I have now been reminded I don't have any Norton styles (well except the freebees over the years). Guess I need to do something about that. grin

Thanks Dan. I had concerns about the exe extension, but for drag and drop the 10 files would have to be dragged into the bb folder and a folder called Norton with 7 additional files would have to be dragged and dropped into the C:\BB\Data\StylePicker\User Categories folder, and I thought that would be too much to ask people to do.

I think it's an overkill for some AV apps to just refuse to accept anything with an exe extension. Yes, I know that an exe can contain malware, but (1) an exe doesn't mean that it's malware, most exe apps are legit and (2) the malware crackers are smart enough to get around that and package their evils in files that don't end in exe

I tried to mail an exe to myself, and found my own ISP (att) does not accept emails with an exe attachment, even if it's enclosed in a zip file.

AV and anti-Malware apps are essential, but they create their own set of problems.

Insights and incites by Notes.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello Bob!

Very nice work, it works flawlessly on my WIN10 laptop.

But... As I have also a Mac, any chance we will see the same "shortcut" to your valuable styles also on BIAB for Macintosh as soon as version 2017 will be released by PGMusic? I have almost all of your style disks and some fake books disks (including Sherry Mayrent's Klezmer music disk, and would like for the styles to have them organized as on BIAB windows.

All the best!

Antonio

I muri sono creature... scontrose
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: doctormidi
Hello Bob!

Very nice work, it works flawlessly on my WIN10 laptop.

But... As I have also a Mac, any chance we will see the same "shortcut" to your valuable styles also on BIAB for Macintosh as soon as version 2017 will be released by PGMusic? I have almost all of your style disks and some fake books disks (including Sherry Mayrent's Klezmer music disk, and would like for the styles to have them organized as on BIAB windows.

All the best!

Antonio

Thanks. I'm glad it worked.

What happens with Mac depends on what PG Music does with the inner workings of the Mac version of BiaB.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
The ability to see the Norton Styles filtered in the StylePicke is a new feature of BIAB 2017, so I suspect the Mac users will get this ability whenever the new Mac version comes out.

I have been well pleased with Bob's styles and have used quite a number of them in my music. I don't have all the FakeDisks, but I do have all the styles. As has been pointed out, you don't need Bob's styles to use the FakeDisks (at least to get the chord progressions); however, if you don't have them, you will get an error loading the file and will have to substitute a different style that you do have. That being said, not all the songs in the FakeDisks use exclusively Bob's styles. Many use styles available from PGMusic - as Bob says, use the best style for each particular song, regardless of its source.

PGMusic styles are good, but Bob looks at the music from a different angle and as such comes up with some great alternatives to use. Yes, they are all MIDI, but with good MIDI sound sources, you can make some great music.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

Thanks Dan. I had concerns about the exe extension, but for drag and drop the 10 files would have to be dragged into the bb folder and a folder called Norton with 7 additional files would have to be dragged and dropped into the C:\BB\Data\StylePicker\User Categories folder, and I thought that would be too much to ask people to do.

1.) Your utility worked just fine in Win 7, Win 10, and Win XP, at least for me.

2). Glad you went the extra mile and made it "self-installing." But really, if folks don't know how to copy a few files to X:...\BB and copy one directory to their X:\...\BB\Data\StylePicker\User Categories directory - probably have trouble booting their PC and can't find the Styles menu in BIAB anyway - LOL

Thanks

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Your program worked perfectly here. Now I have all of my Norton styles listed.

Thank you for all of your hard work.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback and the kind words.

I tried e-mailing this to a friend, and it was returned, with a message that the ISP will not accept attachments with an exe extension. So I guess it's not only my ISP (not that I thought mine was the one and only).

So I'm going to do a drag-and-drop version as well.

I've got a copy of WinZip Self-Extractor, but there doesn't seem to be a way to make a self-extracting zip without an exe extension.

Of course I could call it file.Change_Me and have the end user replace Change_Me with exe, but that seems to be a bit of an inconvenience for seasoned computer users and perhaps a stumbling block for newbies. Of course, so is drag and drop.

I'll keep searching for a low-cost way to send a self-extracting app that will put things in various folders. If not, it's drag and drop.

Notes

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Bob,
You could post the exe on your site (in a zip) and put a link to it.
You could send out the link in an email.
Users running an exe that they download might need to right click it and choose to unblock it, but other than that things should work fine.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Just a thought...you should be able to upload the .exe to the cloud (I like box.com) then provide your friend with the link.

Donny

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Peter and Donny.

Both are great ideas.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,634
Posts735,255
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181