Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
So, I've been saving up for a used Ibanez SR505 5-string bass, and ended up getting an insanely good deal on a brand new SR655 instead.

I also picked up a pretty inexpensive case from Musician's Fiend (yes, a story for a different day), and the case is big enough, but has just a bit too much room.

So I learned that there was a free online near knock-off of SolidWorks 3D CAD software at www.onshape.com and saw that it allowed image import and scaling.

Printed out some graph paper with 0.25" squares, laid the new bass on the paper and snapped a picture which I imported into OnShape.

Then I proceeded to measure out some of the case dimensions relative to the bass and drafted some spacers that I will now cut out of 2x4 at our library (yes, our library has a maker-space and it's awesome).

Here's the effort so far of the design work.
[img:left]https://flic.kr/p/R1uuUA[/img]

Once I get the pieces cut out, I'll post back here if anyone's interested.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
very clever approach! Yes, I'm interested, so keep us posted.

That's a nice looking bass!

And thanks for the heads-up about ONSHAPE.COM.. I didn't know about it.

On the surface, it seems logical that libraries should have 3D printers. But what my sister-in-law (a librarian) has discovered with the 3D printer in their library is that they've had to discourage people from tying up the machine with production projects so students can use them for learning.

The time required to print just about anything exceeds the library's operating hours. Librarians get complaints if the school kids want to use it, but there's a job in process.

I say all that because I want to hear about your experience with using a library's 3d printer.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I'm debating whether to 3D print or use the Shopbot and cut them out of 2x4's.

At this library, you have to sign up for the processing time slot

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Leaning to cutting them out vs printing due to size being too long to print.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
the library has a shopbot too?

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Yes. The maker space there has 3 different cheaper FDM 3D printers, a shopbot, an Epilog laser cutter and a vinyl cutting machine. It also has sewing machines and supposedly a decent serger. Full list of machines can be found by google searching Library 21c maker space. The whole Pikes Peak Library District is awesome, but this specific location is very unique

Off-Topic
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Seems like only yesterday that to do a project like this you would go buy a piece of open-cell foam, soak it with water, throw it in the freezer overnight, trace around the guitar and cut out the foam shape with a jig saw.

Boy I'm beginning to feel old, ... again! <grin>.

LLOYD S

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Lloyd, if I had a jigsaw I would have done that!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Yes. The maker space there has 3 different cheaper FDM 3D printers, a shopbot, an Epilog laser cutter and a vinyl cutting machine. It also has sewing machines and supposedly a decent serger. Full list of machines can be found by google searching Library 21c maker space. The whole Pikes Peak Library District is awesome, but this specific location is very unique

I'd love to have access to gear like that! I'll probably buy a 3D printer pretty soon, as prices are reaching the consumer level. Our library doesn't think along those lines yet. You must have some local expertise driving that decision.

The only way I can get time on automated equipment is to take a night class at the local community college. ;-(

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, Scott...

Did you consider using a sturdy foam or Styrofoam? - both easily cut with a snap-blade knife (cheap) fully extended...

OR... with cellophane wrap (or a long bag of some kind) laid in there, you could use Great Stuff gap filler to create an insert that would fit well...

And these would not add any (or much) weight to your case...

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hey, Scott...

Did you consider using a sturdy foam or Styrofoam? - both easily cut with a snap-blade knife (cheap) fully extended...

OR... with cellophane wrap (or a long bag of some kind) laid in there, you could use Great Stuff gap filler to create an insert that would fit well...

And these would not add any (or much) weight to your case...

Not a bad idea either. That's the way we used to ship stuff (expanding foam in a bag) of test instruments when we didn't have original packaging.

In true nerd fashion, I will admit that I'm using this project as an excuse to try out the CAD software and the the CNC.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
In true nerd fashion, I will admit that I'm using this project as an excuse to try out the CAD software and the the CNC.

yeah, I thought the first 3 words in your title gave it away. ;-)

I'd have done the same thing... not because it was the most practical approach but because it was the most fun.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Progress for today was that I went to the library and learned how to use the VCarve software that will be used to create the toolpath to cut the pieces out of the 2x4 boards. I can add text as well, so you know I will be doing that!

VCarve is pretty intuitive, took about 10 minutes to learn.

I also picked up a damaged 10' 2x4 at Home Depot that was 70% off because it was warped. They paint the end with purple to show that it's the 70% off. The cashier was unable to scan the bar code, so she just told me to take it. They had even cut it to 2' lengths for me.

I should be cutting soon.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

That was my first thought too, Floyd, and I have done that in the past. I got 2 pieces of 1 inch thick styrofoam, traced my guitar onto one of them, cut it out, glued them together, glued them into the case and then glued down some very satin like padded cloth and used cut pieces of wood and bar clamps to hold it in place while the spray adhesive dried. Worked out pretty well. BUT, this kind of project Scott is doing is one of those "I get to learn while I hack something out" projects. And in my case I was modifying an existing case.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/28/17 05:19 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Man ... that's cool.

I too have a guitar in a case that doesn't fit snug. This might be a cool project to work on at a later date. The guitar tends to move around in the case, so this would work.

I'd very likely just trace out what I need and use my jigsaw to cut it out or use some of the foam I have and use a sharp bladed implement of some sort to carve it. Wood looks nice when it's polished and stained and it's tougher than foam.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
well, thanks to this thread, Jim Fogle sent me some info on a maker space here in Winston Salem. I like this concept. Might get the old retired guy out of the house.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
This weekend I riffed on a design of a guitar stand made from a single piece of wood cut into two similarly shaped pieces. I will cut that out same time as the case mod pieces

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I promised to update with progress. Today I made the toolpaths and cut the pieces and fit checked them.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/lakes_of_colorado/shares/3V8f42[/img]

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
that looks like you're having great nerd fun there, Scott!
How do you plan to cover the wood so it doesn't scratch the bass?

Felt? Fur? Dollar bills? (enquiring minds, etc etc)

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I plan to use loop Velcro on the surfaces that touch the bass, and maybe bumper stickers on the horizontal surfaces.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,633
Posts735,254
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich
38,521 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181