#39687 10/16/09 09:36 AM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
C
Hi all,

i just installed ZoneAlarm and couldn't figure out why my Ribbon Screen Saver would want to access the internet. I denied access and a day or so later the screen saver quit working and locked up my computer.

I also denied access to Windows Media Player which wanted to gain internet access upon start up. So far no ill effects from that.

What's up?

Don S.

Curmudgeon #39688 10/16/09 03:27 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered...

Updating?

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
WienSam #39689 10/16/09 05:47 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Those "phone home" applications drive me nuts. The new Windows media player wants to go on the internet and find the album art for your music. It's busy searching, and chewing up system resources. Same for most virus and anti-phishing software now. Used to be they used a data base download in off hours, and then used that, now they check with the mother ship. Who knows what other info they shouldn't be getting. I can stick a script on my homepage and mine your business. Sites you went to, and I can eat your cookies. If only I could..never mind.

I use them as little as possible. It bugs almost as much as all the machines being down in the morning due to "Uncle Bill Gates", sending a load this and reboot command.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #39690 10/16/09 05:51 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, JC - mine your own business and take your little paws off my cookie jar! Now!

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
John Conley #39691 10/17/09 06:06 PM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
C
Quote:

Who knows what other info they shouldn't be getting.

Ya, that's my concern, exactly.

Don S.

Curmudgeon #39692 10/19/09 05:32 AM
Off-Topic
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
I came up programming through the 8 bit days and it absolutely boggles my mind how such hardware as we have today can be so slowed down to such a pathetic crawl.

Like the man said, "ain't that a kick in the head!"
HappyTrails #39693 10/19/09 06:46 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
They say, by around 2085 the theoretical computational speed limit will be reached. Puters will then be 10^16 times faster than the fastest puters of today ...

Try a search for 224.0.0.22 - the web seems to be teeming with pertinent references. I am under the impression that the particular configuration, viz. use of Zonealarm or whatnot together with your router configs may be playing a roll in this nuisance. No clue as of now, though ...

Martin
MartinB #39694 10/19/09 06:52 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Also remember you are being tracked by Adobe through their "sol" files which is similar to a cookie and saved from a Web page with a Flash animation. If you are using linux, you can remove them by running "find -iname '*.sol' -exec rm "{}" \;" in a terminal window.

For Windows, see Mr. Gannon's warning below and then visit http://tips.vlaurie.com/2007/10/how-you-are-secretly-tracked-with-flash-cookies/

Last edited by JBlatz; 10/20/09 04:07 AM.

JBlatz
JBlatz #39695 10/19/09 09:59 PM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>Also remember you are being tracked by Adobe through their "sol" files which is similar to a cookie and saved from a Web page

Interesting. Band-in-a-Box also saves .SOL files, although they are different, (Soloist files, for your list of soloists).

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PeterGannon #39696 10/20/09 04:05 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I forgot about the soloist files. Thanks for the reminder. I think I should edit my post with that warning.

JBlatz
MartinB #39697 10/20/09 05:25 AM
Off-Topic
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
Quote:

They say, by around 2085 the theoretical computational speed limit will be reached. Puters will then be 10^16 times faster than the fastest puters of today ...

Try a search for 224.0.0.22 - the web seems to be teeming with pertinent references. I am under the impression that the particular configuration, viz. use of Zonealarm or whatnot together with your router configs may be playing a roll in this nuisance. No clue as of now, though ...

Wow! I'll only be 129 then - can't wait!

I've heard that every time you touch an Adobe file, a message is sent out.

I've found Adobe processes running and stopped them, and disabled them from starting up. That seemed to help. Might still be something else going on I don't know about.

HappyTrails #39698 10/20/09 05:53 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well everyone figures the 'Apple' or "Mac" operating systems are bullet proof and benign, but one has to wonder with the constant updating of Adobe and the forced rebooting of your system if you run anything with Adobe Reader on it. I use Open Office and have no need for Adobe Reader, but so many people configure their software to make use of it, it seems like a requirement. Don't hold your breath for them to come clean and tell you what they know about you, your habits, your computer, or your browsing history. Or I'm paranoid. Or am I paranoid enough?

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #39699 10/20/09 06:13 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are way, way too many apps that have A Wonderful Plan For Your Life and don't bother telling you about it.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
John Conley #39700 10/20/09 06:36 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Probably not paranoid enough, John.
We have to remember that WinFirewall does not block "phoning home" in independent software. You need a firewall that does block phone homes - particularly Win stuff.
As a society we always need the latest and greatest "free" software upgrade. "Free" comes with a price . . .like hidden "phone home" cookies.
We don't spend enough time checking out those new, free downloaded software upgrades.
I use Comodo to block "phone homes" - ZoneAlarm should do this too. If you don't like the latest of a particular go back to a site like FileHippo and download an older version where you felt comfortable.
Good luck everyone fighting the "upgrade addiction". Are there really so many improvements that software needs that many upgrades? H-m-m-m-m-m? What's really going on here?

Be on your up-guard.

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Ian Fraser #39701 10/20/09 08:24 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Being paranoid is not a good way to live but if it floats your boat, fine. I think people make way too much out of stuff like this. If it were so bad, where's all the news stories about millions of people being ripped off due to it? I have a friend who still refuses to use online banking "no way I'm putting my personal information on the internet" etc, etc. You are way more exposed by giving your credit card to the waiter at a restaurant than you are using a military level encrypted bank site. He takes it away from your sight then if he's so inclined, he makes a copy of it, takes the info home and creates a duplicate card using one of those machines you can buy for a few hundred bucks. Even if that happens, as long as you stay on top of your account, you're not responsible anyway and it's the same for online banking but it's fun to make all the paranoid comments about "they're going to get me, ooooooh!". The other thing is when some idiot at a huge company leaves his laptop laying around and it gets stolen and it happens to have millions of peoples credit info on it so scammers have a chance to use it for bad purposes. Even worse the same idiot puts that info on a thumb drive and then loses it. That's where the risks are, not something like Adobe doing an update.
Notice I'm not talking about email scams with nasty attachments. Those are a whole different thing. Never open an attachment you're not sure about.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #39702 10/20/09 09:05 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"where are the millions of people saying they have been ripped off?"

Think about that one. When a financial institution gets hit and loses money (it happens thousands of times) do you think they announce it? They would lose every customer! Often they hide it and cover the loss, or their insurance does. Most times the bank catches it before the customer does. Again, documentation can be found on this, but it is boring depressing reading.

As for adobe - Google 'adobe exploits' for pages of holes the updates sometimes cause.

On the front lines, seen a lot of things.. being paranoid keeps us on our toes!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #39703 10/20/09 09:19 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not paranoid about putting my info on line for Amazon or Pgmusic to purchase stuff. I'm cautious about ebay.

But I don't like seeing some pop up saying it updated and wants to restart my computer. Adobe did this to 2 of my machines last week.

My wife had her debit card info skimmed at the largest grocery chain in Canada. Odd thing is I do 99 percent of the shopping. Then I had someone put $1000 on my Visa in Montreal. Had to get a new card. Turns out the cleaning staff at the grocery store installed the gear at the check out overnight. They NEVER admitted the fraud.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #39704 10/20/09 09:26 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Old joke but good one.

One guy to the other "someone stole my wife's credit card."

Other guy, "I hope you didn't get stuck with the bills!"

First guy, "well I did not report it yet, so far he's spending less money than my wife."

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #39705 10/20/09 11:52 AM
Off-Topic
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
I'm not paranoid myself, but I'm certain the paranoids are plotting against me!

HappyTrails #39706 10/20/09 01:49 PM
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
even paranoids have something to worry about. Here's my take on the identity prob. The bank is secure, the software to the bank is secure BUT you are not. If someone hacks your system while you are online at some other sight, any info you store on your system can, not will, be taken. Passwords, info on accts,whatever you choose to have on your system can be exploited.
Our county has started a trash recycling program that use prisoners from the county jail to sift through my trash so the world won't heat up and burn because of my excess carbon footprint(size10.5). Ah thinking outside the box,maybe somebody gets some info, I'm screwed.
Talk about white collar crime, just look at those interest rates on those CC's. Who owns the CC companies, the banks, who owns the banks, the government. I gotta stop, I'm having a Glenn Beck moment. Gotta take a chill pill, oh big pharm's another issue. Chill pill where are you.......
Ah a hundred years from now it won't mater to us anyway. Wyndham

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,351
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.