Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#407336 - 04/14/17 11:50 AM [User Showcase] Vacant Chair (with Janice)
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Vacant Chair (with Janice)

This is an old song I wrote & thought only family would relate to.
Since getting up & running with BiaB I`ve rewritten and revived a few old songs and with a couple of simple changes, figured this one was ready for a wider audience.
Over the last year I`ve listened to Janice singing many different songs and enjoyed them all, but hadn`t heard her sing a really sad one. Listening to her beautiful interpretation of this has been a highlight of the year for me...and working with Bud, who suggested and processed the piano track and gave excellent feedback on the mix, a pleasure.
We hope you enjoy our collaboration!

Key=Bb , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=4:37
2 bar intro, 98 bar chorus, from bar 3 to bar 100. Repeat x1 chorus
Melody has 1425 notes, Melody harmony is < no harmony >(0)
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Style is M_CPOPSL.STY (Slow Country Pop w/ Piano )
RT 1856 Cello
RT 2773 Harp
MIDI SuperTracks in style: 1887:Piano, Solo-Accompaniment CountryPopJohn Ev 085

Vacant Chair

there`s a path through the autumn woods
his footsteps turned from
a song I can almost hear
a girl had begun
in the evening I still see her
collecting stones and questions from the air
to throw into the silent pool
around a vacant chair

who is wearing all the big shoes
taken from the closet
why are wedding photographs
in a box under the bed
that man said he`s in a better place
but I saw I heard the piper`s air
walking to tree seventeen
across town from a vacant chair

sometimes I go back to the old house
to look at fading pictures
blow the dust from the shadows
chase the grey from his hair
when the RCA radio plays Waltzing Matilda
I am dancing with my daddy
and there is no vacant chair

and wallpaper swallows
still fly toward the windows
his grey hat by the door
is dripping with cold rain
in the evening I still see her
singing her song her heart to repair
as long as sweet smoke lingers
above a vacant chair

sometimes I go back to the old house
to look at fading pictures
blow the dust from the shadows
chase the grey from his hair
when the RCA radio plays Waltzing Matilda
I am dancing with my daddy
and there is no vacant chair

dancing dancing with my daddy
dancing with my daddy

© Robert Cordrey May 1995

Edited by Robertkc (04/14/17 05:10 PM)

#407362 - 04/14/17 01:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very, very pretty!! You simply CAN'T do better than Janice for a vocal, and she nailed this!! The arrangement and mix are great. Wonderful job by all of you!! Take care . Greg

#407385 - 04/14/17 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
Al-David Offline
Expert

Loc: Alabama, USA
What a lovely composition. And Janice was flawless - isn't she always? The piano guides the music exactly as it should. The strings are such a nice touch. Not overwhelming - just enough the know they're there.

Great job by both of you! Wishing you nothing but the best.

ALan & Di

Our Website: http://doubletrouble-music.wix.com/our-songs

#407401 - 04/14/17 06:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very, very pretty!! You simply CAN'T do better than Janice for a vocal, and she nailed this!! The arrangement and mix are great. Wonderful job by all of you!! Take care . Greg

Greg, you are so kind to say that. When Robert asked if I'd like to sing this sweet song I was happy to oblige. I loved singing to the piano accompaniment and thought about my own Daddy quite a bit. It was a pleasure to be a part of this.

Janice
J&B Website

#407402 - 04/14/17 06:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Beautiful song Robert. You have a wonderful way with a song and lyric. This song was perfect for Janice's voice and she performed a perfect vocal. Simply a beautiful collaboration..

#407418 - 04/14/17 09:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
animarorecords Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Robert and Janice

Great collaboration!
Very pretty song.
As Greg said, you simply CAN'T do better than Janice for a vocal, and she nailed this!!
The chord progression at "chase the grey from his hair" is very nice.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#407464 - 04/15/17 06:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very nice indeed! The Instrumentation was perfect for this. And Janice has such great tone and phrasing, always a pleasure to hear her sing.

#407483 - 04/15/17 07:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Simply sublime guys. A very moving listen.

John
BIAB 2017
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 3

#407496 - 04/15/17 08:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: animarorecords]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Al-David
What a lovely composition. And Janice was flawless - isn't she always? The piano guides the music exactly as it should. The strings are such a nice touch. Not overwhelming - just enough the know they're there.

ALan & Di

Alan & Di,

Thank you!
Yes, Janice could sing the phone book and make it sound great... this was one take btw.
We listened to every piano accompaniment available before settling on the Supertrack ( and I think still find it just a little busy in places). I liked the lift the cello and harp gave to the chorus.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful song Robert. You have a wonderful way with a song and lyric. This song was perfect for Janice's voice and she performed a perfect vocal. Simply a beautiful collaboration..

Many thanks for your kind words,Scott!

Robert

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Robert and Janice

Great collaboration!
Very pretty song.
As Greg said, you simply CAN'T do better than Janice for a vocal, and she nailed this!!
The chord progression at "chase the grey from his hair" is very nice.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki,

I`m glad you enjoyed our song... and of course you noticed the only place where the chords move from a standard folk progression!
Regards,

Robert

#407527 - 04/15/17 11:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
A beautiful ballad, Robert. The melody kept me guessing (where it would go next) throughout. Melancholy.

The piano/cello/Janice combination - well, that's about as good as it gets... a gorgeous vocal.

fj

#407528 - 04/15/17 11:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
WOW!

Janice's vocal is top shelf. The lyrics are super. I liked the way the cello came in as well as the piano.

You two should be very proud of this one.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#407537 - 04/15/17 01:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Al-David]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David

ALan & Di

Thank you so much. I appreciate your support over the last few years. It means a lot to me!

Janice
J&B Website

#407543 - 04/15/17 01:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert, Nicely written and arranged. The harp and cello work well. Beautifully sung by Janice. That one part of the melody where it goes low seems difficult to sing but she made it sound easy. It adds to the song by making it unique. Great job by all. Tom

#407582 - 04/15/17 05:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Scott C]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thank you Scott. You're very kind to say that!

Janice
J&B Website

#407587 - 04/15/17 06:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vacant Chair (with Janice) [Re: Robertkc]
HiroshiK Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Japan
Robert and Janice,

Perfect! The melody, piano solo and strings, Janice's vocal, and everything. I enjoyed all.

Hiroshi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
User Tip - Midi to Keystroke "Hot Key" Win Mac (Conductor for Mac)

Forum user Pipeline shares a great 'tip' with his post Midi to Keystroke "Hot Key" Win Mac (Conductor for Mac)!

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=430438

Thanks for posting to our Tips & Tricks forum Pipeline!

#TBT - Band-in-a-Box® Version 5 Article "The Software Story"

For the latest blast from the past for Band-in-a-Box, check out the article The Software Story: Band-in-a-Box by Norm Weinberg, as published in the June 1993 issue of Percussive Notes!

Imagine a group of musicians who would rehearse with you whenever you wanted, wouldn't tire of playing the same songs over and over, could play at any tempo you wanted, could learn new tunes in a matter of minutes, and never have any ego problems? Wouldn't this be an ideal musical situation for gaining experience? Band-in-a-Box to the rescue!
-Norm Weinberg

Did you have this older version? Share your story with other program users!

User Post - Save as Video

Earlier this week we shared information on the Save as Video feature within Band-in-a-Box.

Forum user JoanneCooper has just shared her Band-in-a-Box video using this feature! Check out her post here, or click here watch her YouTube video.

#TipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® for Mac: Use Keystroke "Hot Key" Commands!

Hot Keys are a great way to speed up using a lot of different programs... and that includes Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box has keystroke "hot keys" to mute instruments or to adjust volume, panning, reverb, chorus, or bank of instrument without using the mouse, etc... in fact - there are over 100 Hot Key commands for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

To view them all, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® - Save as a Video!

A feature added with our Band-in-a-Box® 2015 release was the option to Save as Video. This feature is easy to use! When you're ready to save your song within Band-in-a-Box®, choose "Save as Video..." and adjut the settings if you'd like, then choose [OK - Render Video]. Once it's rendered, you can select the [Upload to YouTube], or take a look at your video first when you choose [Show Video File]. You can also choose to open this video file up in a different video program - it's your video file!

What does the video show? The chordsheet within Band-in-a-Box® just as you'd see it when the song is playing - don't worry though, the rendering of the song to video is MUCH FASTER than the duration of the song!

To see this in action, visit THIS LINK for our Support video.

Have you made a video of your song using this feature? Share it to our Forum!

User Tutorial - Band-in-a-Box® and Walking Bass Lines

Forum user edshaw has created some tutorials for Band-in-a-Box® and Walking Bass Lines that he has shared to our Tips and Tricks forum!

The tutorial has been split into three parts:
Part One - Using Band-in-a-Box®
Part Two - Walking Bass Line
Part Three - Demonstration

Thank you edshaw!

If you've created your own tutorials that you'd like to share, feel free to post them to our Tips and Tricks Forum! You can also send an email to marketing@pgmusic.com and we will post and share them here and on Twitter & Facebook!

Band-in-a-Box® Polish Tutorial - Sound Station

Our new Polish Distributor, Sound Station, is thrilled to be adding Band-in-a-Box® to their product line, and look forward to working with the program! They've just started with us, and have already created this Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Polish Tutorial: Video: Band in a Box 2017 TUTORIAL PL

Forum Stats
26411 Members
50 Forums
47527 Topics
387403 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
hitsman, danieltorridon, AZ Pete, PatrickCambier, Roofooz

26411 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 143
Janice & Bud 119