Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#40837 10/26/09 11:04 AM
RealBand
A
OP Offline
A
I have an 8 channel Alesis MultiMix8 installed as my soundcard. How do I record multiple audio tracks and one MIDI track at the same time? Thanks

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum, Actioneer

What setup do you have? What is your computer situation? What are you using for input?

We need more info to be able to help you

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Options - preferences- audio tab - drivers

select the inputs you want to use for audio by highlighting them
check the box that says 'record audio too if track is midi'

options - midi devices to select midi input device

highlight a midi track and record it all.
When RB asks if you want to keep audio too, say yes

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
This is something I'd like to see change. I'd like to be able to right click on a track and assign the input device.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

This is something I'd like to see change. I'd like to be able to right click on a track and assign the input device.

That's what I do, in Tracks View, when using my 1616M multiple input soundcard.

I have to have all available inputs highlighted in Prefs before I can do that, though.

--Mac

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
That's just for the outputs. When I right click the choices I have available are outputs not inputs. Look again Mac

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I don't have to look again, but it may be the difference in type of soundcards or drivers here, that's what I'm thinking. Or perhaps it is because of the E-MU Patchmix software, not a driver, but a virtual digital mixing console. With proper setup and routing inside the Patchmix applet, my inputs do indeed appear in tracks view.

--Mac

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Well I don't show any inputs in tracks view nor does the manual. I'm like Thomas "show me"

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you want to doubt me, it does not bother me in the slightest.

Very well could be that I'm remembering it in the wrong place.

I ain't settin' all that stuff up right now just to show you a screenshot.

--Mac

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I'm glad you don't take offense as none was meant. I just think you're remembering it incorrectly. RB doesn't show inputs except in the Prefs/audio/drivers

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
A
OP Offline
A
That's where I get bogged down. I have all 8 inputs showing (and highlighted) in the preferences. However, I can't find how to select the inputs for a given recording track.

My setup is for ASIO with the latest drivers and firmware updates from Alesis. Everything seems to work fine, but I don't see how to select a given input for a given recording track.

Thanks,
actioneer

RealBand
A
OP Offline
A
My setup is as follows:
Sound Card = Alesis MultiMix8 (8 input channels, 2 output channels), Drivers and Firmware updated 25OCT09
Operating System = Windows Vista SP2
Computer = Toshiba, Intel dual processor, 32 bit, 1.6 GHz
Memory = 2 Gb
Software = RealBand 2008(4)

At Preferences/Audio/Drivers I find all 8 inputs (+2 firewire), and 2 outputs.

How do I select a specific input to record on a specific track? I want to record multiple tracks at the same time.
The hardware seems to work OK, but I can't figure out how to select a specific input for a specific track.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

actioneer

RealBand
A
OP Offline
A
By-The-Way my software is actually RB 2008.5(4)

Sorry for the error,
actioneer

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Please see page 15 of the RealBand .pdf manual, located in your RB folder: Audio Drivers Tutorial

Maybe that will help you figure this out.

Once Inputs are highlighted in the Prefs, Audio section, you can control which input you want to go to the first armed track, second, etc. by changing the Input Order in that window as outlined in the tutorial.

Then you just select the first track and it will accept input from that first highlighted input, second track armed will accept from second input, etc.

--Mac

RealBand
A
OP Offline
A
OK, I think I see how it works. Each armed track will pick up an input port from those highlighted in the Preferences/Audio/Drivers dialog window, and the order of the input ports matters. The first armed track will pick up the input from the first highlighted driver in the list, the second armed track will pick up the input from the second highlighted driver in the list, etc.

I will give it a try tomorrow evening.

I must say that this approach is not the most intuitive, and is not well explained in the manual either, at least not for the input porting. I would like to see the input port as a selectable by right clicking on the track window. Just a thought for future upgrades.

Thanks for your help.
actioneer

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

It's not intuitive at all and makes you have to remember who's first, second etc. That's why I'd like this to change.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

It's not intuitive at all and makes you have to remember who's first, second etc.

No no, its -
Who's on first, Whats on second and ..(pauses)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

It's not intuitive at all and makes you have to remember who's first, second etc. That's why I'd like this to change.

I don't know, I don't see this as any big thing. That's what the track name window is for. Don't you know what you have plugged into your interface? Just put your input 1 on track 1 and go from there like Eddie's vocals track 1, John's guitar track 2, Gary's sax track 3 etc. Just name the tracks as you go, that's it. That's all they do at a real studio with the masking tape on the console.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Think about this.
You have 8 inputs available to you. Your going to record your drum kit first. You have a mixer with 8 direct outs going to the 8 inputs on your sound card. You have the inputs in PREFS all set from 1-8. Kick drum is channel 8 in your mixer and goes to input 8 of the sound card. You highlite the first 8 tracks and record. Perfect. Kick drum is on track 8. Now in listening you realize the kick is not quite right so you want to rerecord the kick. If you highlite track 8 now to record it's not going to record from input 8 it's going to record from input 1 which ain't the kick.You'd have to go back into PREFS and move input 8 up to the top.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
II just arm 8 new tracks and make another pass. Edit later.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,351
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.