Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
jford #415574 05/28/17 05:55 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: jford
When you export MIDI, there is a selection (click the Options button on the MIDI Save screen) to "Save RealCharts in MIDI Files". If that box isn't checked, then you won't get anything from RealTracks. If it is, and there is a RealChart associated with the RealTrack, it will export as MIDI.

I guess that will end some confusion about it...;)
And it also answer why some of my 2016 songs did not contain any midi. BUT, since I just imported that song in RB and then saved it, and imported it in BB again, THEN it had the midi, means in RB this setting is default? That is what it should be also in BB in my opinion. I cant see any reason it should not...

Thank's for posting this jford...

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
funny #415582 05/28/17 09:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: funny
Me Oh My I feel left behind.. LoL.. I have done everything and all I get is a drum and bass midi track, I still have two guitars and an organ that will play in biab but will not export as midi no matter what way I try... I do know BIAB was created for creativity and ideas but if you cant get those ideas out of BIAB then they are being held hostage defeating the founding purpose of BIAB!

By way of background information, just in case you are not aware of this, Realtracks are audio files and not MIDI files. Audio is the equivalent of a CD recording whereas MIDI files are a sequence of computer commands that drive electronic instruments.

When a backing that uses Realtracks saves as MIDI, it is not saving the audio file. Rather, it is saving a transcription of the audio file that someone has created. This transcription is used for notation purposes. Not all Realtracks have associated transcriptions.

The names of Realtrack are green when loaded. If a track has associated notation then it will have a green line under the name.

If you have a look at the image below, the green names indicate Realtracks, the yellow names indicate MIDI tracks (which will have notation), and since the Strings has a line underneath it, it indicates that there is notation associated with whatever is on the Strings track. The other Realtracks do not have notation.

From what you describe, it sounds like not all the tracks you used had an associated notation MIDI file.

Can I ask why you are saving as a MIDI file? If you want to get the best sound, you'd be better to save as an audio file.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
green tracks.JPG (20.21 KB, 97 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
F
F
If I recall correctly I thought when real tracks first came out it used midi to trigger sampled instruments, therefore having the best of both worlds. I cant understand how real tracks can work without midi, yet still use the chords I am inputting unless they are using pre-recorded chord progressions and have every possible progression recorded..
I usually export midi to reason, or ableton live and between the two using top end sampled instruments and synths, and then from there I can modulate perimeters that can never be done with audio, and midi also has a much larger range of dynamics which is great for live performance... Audio dynamic range is limited giving more of a karaoke experience rather than the impression of an actual band or band members, and you cant edit anything with audio for the most part its a take it or shove it as it is.. LoL

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
If I recall correctly I thought when real tracks first came out it used midi to trigger sampled instruments, therefore having the best of both worlds.

No. Realtracks have never used midi to trigger sampled sounds.

Quote:
... unless they are using pre-recorded chord progressions and have every possible progression recorded.

That's correct. Realtracks are live performances recorded as audio. An artist performs many chord progressions in different keys and with different riffs and rhythms. PG Music then map these chords and progressions. When Realtracks are assembled into a backing, sections of the original recording are are copied, transposed (if needed) and pasted together to generate the backing.

I'm not sure that "every possible chord progression" is recorded but enough are so that it's possible to get most of what anyone wants.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
F
F
wow sounds like a lot more work, but thanks for the enlightenment..
May I ask a recommendation?
I have a style that fits the feel for a song we are putting together and gives me a pretty good rough draft..
I have searched for other similar styles, but they just dont quite line up with the one I have found to have a nice fit for what we had in mind and what we already have finished.. But all I can get is bass and drums and nothing else. Now I could probably keep the organ as an audio file, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the organs I have, and I dont strum guitar so I can't play that part, and I think the sound quality of all the audio I have heard is a little rough around the edges.. And of course pitch to midi has its own list of problems. The style we are using is the DREAMYP.STY
Thanks! Sincerely!

Chris

Veteran
Veteran
Chris,

I'm heading off to work now. When I get back this evening, I'll have a play around and get back to you.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
funny #415706 05/29/17 10:59 AM
F
F
I think I found something, I had to go to each track and disable power tracks and that turned each on yellow and I only lost the strumming guitar somehow, but I can work this yes!
Thanks!
Chris

funny #415727 05/29/17 06:35 PM
F
F
oh what the is going on around here.. I used to have almost every style imaginable, and I realized I only liked about 20 of them, so this time I got a little cheap and I bought the lesser upgrade and of course all the styles I like except for 1 are in the mix of several thousand.. Now every other style I pick I get mostly green silence tracks.. I have wasted at least 3 hours with 'silent' instruments. All these unusable styles should not be in the list can I say the F word in here? LoL
It was quite a fiasco getting the midi out and of course it was stripped to extremely basic... I had to go the plugins in the mixer window and choose do not select power tracks..
Now I keep getting errors that I dont have power tracks for this and for that and I get silence tracks, wonderful

funny #415729 05/29/17 07:17 PM
F
F
Thanks Noel! Hey check this out everybody!
I changed the silent tracks to greyed out tracks now.. I still only hear silence with a very loud F word in my mind. So I dont get it, I cant seem to make them midi now like I did earlier what the heck is going on!

Veteran
Veteran
Chris,

You seem to have numerous happenings.

1. When you installed your update of BIAB, I take it that you didn't install into your already existing \bb folder. Given my experience, if you had, then all the styles you had previously would have been retained.

2. In relation to styles you like, from the sounds of things, you've taken the long way around to get those that you like. An alternative approach is to save them as 'Favorites' and then filter them so that only the 'Favorites' show up. To do this...

• Right click on the style and select "Set to favorite" (#1)
  • Click on the "Other" filter (#2).
  • Select "Show Favorites" (#3).

I've summarised the above on the image below.

3. Grey tracks mean that they have nothing on them. If you have removed the Realtracks from them and you're left with grey, it indicates that there wasn't an underlying midi style.

• In earlier days, BIAB styles with Realtracks were superimposed on pre-existing midi styles.
  • In recent days, this approach has been modified and Realtracks no longer need to be loaded on top of a midi style.

If you want to see tracks with only midi styles, do the following...

• Open up "Options | Preferences | Realtracks" and disable the auto-substitution of midi tracks for Realtracks. This is shown on the image below.

• Now if you load a style that is a midi style it won't be automatically changed to Realtracks.

4. Because you like midi, it will also be worth your while investigating the MIDI Supertracks.

• Styles that contain these Supertracks are found beginning with M_
  • Clear the filter so that Stylepicker shows everything.
  • Now click on "Name" at the top of the list of names in Stylepicker to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Scroll down to M_

If you want Stylepicker to only show those styles that you have Realtracks for...

• Enter Stylepicker.
  • Click on "Other" (#1 on image below).
  • Select "Show styles with Realtracks/Realdrums that are found/not found" (#2).
  • Select "Show styles with Realtracks that are found" (#3).

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am having a similar issue. I have all the settings as per Noels pictures, and the RT Guitar part is underlined in the radio button area, I drag it to the render box and the MID box changes colour to orange, and then....nothing!

Tried exporting whole song as a MIDI, again according to all the instructions above, and all I get is the drum track!

Veteran
Veteran
joden,

Did you generate the song and let it play for a bit so that the generation had time to complete?

I've found that if the song is not generated, the drag and drop on the MIDI spot turns orange and nothing happens. After generating, it turns orange, then green, and file is in the bb\DragDrop folder.

Just to check, have you tried right-clicking on your BIAB shortcut and choosing "Run as administrator" to start the program? This sometimes makes a difference.

When you say that you have set everything according to my settings, am I correctly interpreting you to mean that you have activated the "Save Realcharts in MIDI files" option under "Preferences | Realtracks". (I've mentioned a lot of different settings in this thread!)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
Journeyman
yep did this : "Save Realcharts in MIDI files" option under "Preferences | Realtracks" I'll try generating the song and then have another go at it.

Journeyman
Journeyman
haha, yep that worked thanks Noel, BUT the midi file was nothing like the part in BIAB! just a bunch if randomly plucked notes laugh

Anyhoo that has it on the right track so to speak smile

Veteran
Veteran
joden,

Most of the midi files associated with Realtracks are transcriptions of the Realtrack. These transcriptions have come after the creation of the audio. They are not always exact replications of that audio. One exception are the piano tracks. These are recorded on a Yamaha piano with midi capabilities and the midi and audio is recorded simultaneously.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
Journeyman
hmmm, well ok. Although the thing I would say is if they are not accurate representations then they shouldn't really be there haha! Better to not have them at all really, and only have those that ARE accurate!

funny #415990 05/31/17 08:44 AM
F
F
Looks like checking everything I could find to get the basic midi out resulted in 90% of 'silence' tracks from every style making it impossible to move forward, guess biab is not crazy music man proof! So I load a blank song, and everything works, all styles load and play, reload my song and its back to 'silence' tracks.. Silence tracks? What idiot thought of that? if I want silence I have a mute button.. !

F
F
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Chris,

You seem to have numerous happenings.

1. When you installed your update of BIAB, I take it that you didn't install into your already existing \bb folder. Given my experience, if you had, then all the styles you had previously would have been retained.

2. In relation to styles you like, from the sounds of things, you've taken the long way around to get those that you like. An alternative approach is to save them as 'Favorites' and then filter them so that only the 'Favorites' show up. To do this...

• Right click on the style and select "Set to favorite" (#1)
  • Click on the "Other" filter (#2).
  • Select "Show Favorites" (#3).

I've summarised the above on the image below.

3. Grey tracks mean that they have nothing on them. If you have removed the Realtracks from them and you're left with grey, it indicates that there wasn't an underlying midi style.

• In earlier days, BIAB styles with Realtracks were superimposed on pre-existing midi styles.
  • In recent days, this approach has been modified and Realtracks no longer need to be loaded on top of a midi style.

If you want to see tracks with only midi styles, do the following...

• Open up "Options | Preferences | Realtracks" and disable the auto-substitution of midi tracks for Realtracks. This is shown on the image below.

• Now if you load a style that is a midi style it won't be automatically changed to Realtracks.

4. Because you like midi, it will also be worth your while investigating the MIDI Supertracks.

• Styles that contain these Supertracks are found beginning with M_
  • Clear the filter so that Stylepicker shows everything.
  • Now click on "Name" at the top of the list of names in Stylepicker to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Scroll down to M_

If you want Stylepicker to only show those styles that you have Realtracks for...

• Enter Stylepicker.
  • Click on "Other" (#1 on image below).
  • Select "Show styles with Realtracks/Realdrums that are found/not found" (#2).
  • Select "Show styles with Realtracks that are found" (#3).

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Noel

Thanks Noel!
This helps my understanding of how things are now, compared to how they use to be..

I had bb installed on another computer that had an insane appetite for hard drives, I went through five hard drives on one computer, crazy.. So all my original biab stuff is sitting on a dead hard drive, now I have my music super computer built, it has an ssd m.2, no more ancient spinning hard drives for me, I have lost too much stuff..

Last edited by funny; 05/31/17 08:56 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,636
Posts735,315
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182