You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#428721 - 09/04/17 06:50 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Learning how to Chang Chords
Islansoul Offline
Journeyman

Loc: St. Petersburg , FL
So I play the ukulele and I really enjoy playing it, but I still struggle with going from one chord to the next. For example, when I try to switch from a C chord to a G chord I feel like there is a short pause between going from C chord to the G chord. However, when I listen to the ukulele Real Track, it seems to have an effortless quality to them. What you guys do to help improve your chord changes?
music producer/engineer

#428730 - 09/04/17 09:17 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Learning how to Chang Chords [Re: Islansoul]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Practice.

It's all about muscle memory, your hand has to know how to form the chord shape instantly and without you thinking about it, and that takes practice.

Here is an exercise:

To use your example of the C to the G change. I would get a metronome going at a very slow tempo, play the C for 4 beats, play the G for 4 beats, go back to the C, etc. Do this over and over again until you are comfortable making the change at that tempo, might take a few days.

Then, increase the speed of the metronome and start again.

#428737 - 09/04/17 10:14 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Learning how to Chang Chords [Re: Islansoul]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Dave's advice is the only thing that works. In other words, there are no short cuts. For some of my students it took a week or two to transition from one guitar chord to another. Don't rush it, practice slowly at first.

I always tell my students if you can play it slow I can get you to play it fast but if you can't play it slow there is nothing that I can do.

I have a student with a touch of Downs Syndrome. He played a part perfectly at 50 BPM and he said that was as fast as he could go. I got him up to 250 BPM before he made his first mistake. If you get it perfectly at a slow tempo then you can play it faster.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#428774 - 09/04/17 05:25 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Learning how to Chang Chords [Re: Islansoul]
lambada Online   embarrased
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Absolutely. Practice. I spent a month as a kid mastering bar chords. Just focus on that one thing - changing chords. Also a critical shortcut is to practice with a metronome (wish I had) and get it right slowly first. (Why do we never do this!). You can also practice in your head. Visualize the chord changing in your head. All helps with that hand to brain thingy.

I always tell people, who always hate doing it, to sing something in their head first before trying to play it. It has to be in your brain to work...
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface - built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#428789 - 09/04/17 07:56 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Learning how to Chang Chords [Re: Islansoul]
edshaw Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Colorado
The object is not to change chords as fast as humanly possible. The object is to make the chord change in sync with the drummer.
Einstein claimed to have created time; for the rest of us, though, the best advice might be to go with the flow. Try stealing some time from the previous bar.
It works for me, and I am slowness.
I had a friend once who played with a philharmonic.
He was damn good, but not so fast. Sometimes he would simply skip the last note of a tricky change, you know, let other violinists take it. That way, he was ready when the time came. I don't think anyone was the wiser, of they were, did they care.
TEAC Digital deck
HD Stereo field recorder w/ clock

#429509 - 09/12/17 03:33 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Learning how to Chang Chords [Re: edshaw]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: edshaw
The object is not to change chords as fast as humanly possible.

Who said it was?

Originally Posted By: edshaw
The object is to make the chord change in sync with the drummer.

Yes. And the way to accomplish that is to practice with a metronome. Slowly at first, at whatever tempo you need to make the chord change cleanly but still be in perfect time.
Then, gradually increase the tempo until finally you can make the chord change cleanly at the tempo of the song. Might take a few days, might take longer for a beginner.
It is the only method that works in my experience, and I've been playing for 45 years or so and taught many people to play.
A good guitarist should be able to make the chord changes cleanly, at the proper tempo and stay in time, without having to cheat (steal beats from the previous bar).

PG Music News
User Blog - How to Make a Band-in-a-Box Backing Track (with Melody) Using a Lead Sheet

Joanne Cooper's latest blog post Create a Band-in-a-Box backing track with melody from a lead sheet is the perfect read for anyone looking to do just that!

She thoroughly explains the process - from selecting the song, finding the lead sheet, picking a style, and more! Even if you're well versed with the program, be sure to read this blog post - you'll want to bookmark it and share it with anyone you know who's new to the program!

Thank you Joanne for sharing!

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/create-a-band-in-a-box-backing-track-with-melody-from-a-lead-sheet

Vote for Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - We've Been Nominated for a 2018 SOS Award!

We are still over the moon with being nominated as one of the Music Software products for the 2018 SOS Awards!

If you haven't had a chance to look over the nominees and place your vote, head to https://www.soundonsound.com/sos-awards - but hurry... the polls are only open until 23:59 PST on November 30th! (Winners will be annouced at the Winter NAMM show in January.)

The SOS Awards are held annually by Sound On Sound, these awards celebrate a number of products launched within the last year, including categories like Audio Interface, DAW, Guitar Technology, Music Software, and more - the winners are chosen by the readers, and people just like you! To learn more about the SOS awards, click here.

SOS voting rules are available here.

Sound On Sound Awards - a list of 2017 Winners.

The Beginners Forum - Great Tool for New Band-in-a-Box® Users!

If you're new to Band-in-a-Box®, and looking for a Forum just for you, check out the Beginner's Forum! This forum is the perfect place to post resources ideal for those starting with the program.

If you're not new to Band-in-a-Box®, that doesn't mean you can't join in the action! Pop over to the Beginners Forum to join in the discussion & share your knowledge too - we have a really supportive & helpful crew on the forums!

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=97&page=1

YouTube Find - COUNTRY ROADS John Denver Band-in-a-Box Backing Track Key G Major

Another great video has been posted by EricBlackmonGuitar, and he uses his Band-in-a-Box beautifully for creating the backing tracks - see for yourself!

YouTube Video - COUNTRY ROADS John Denver Band In A Box Backing Track Key G Major

My Favorite Things - Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility!

We receive user feedback many ways, including our Facebook page, by email or phone, using the Comments tab on our Band-in-a-Box® pages, the My Favorite Things Forum, and more!

Like the great feedback recently posted by Al-David:
"I write and play in quite a few different genres. The flexibility BIAB gives me makes transpositions, from one genre to another, so easy and quick. A number of times I've created a piece, intending it to be a Smooth Jazz or Smooth RnB song. But when I generated the song, it just didn't work in the intended genre.

With a simple click of the Style Picker ... BAM! The song ended up as a pretty decent Pop song. I only had to replace a couple of instruments from the new style and alter a couple of chords..."
(read the full thread here.)

Post your feedback to our Forum - My Favorite Things - we'd love to hear it!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Nominated for a 2018 SOS Award!

We're so excited that Band-in-a-Box® 2017 has been nominated as one of the Music Software products for the 2018 SOS Awards!

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to vote! If you haven't had a chance yet, you can vote here... (the polls are open until 23:59 PST on November 30th)

Winners will be announced at the Winter NAMM show in January, 2018.

What are the SOS awards? Held annually by Sound On Sound, these awards celebrate a number of products launched within the last year, including categories like Audio Interface, DAW, Guitar Technology, Music Software, and more - the winners are chosen by the readers, and people just like you! To learn more about the SOS awards, click here.

SOS voting rules are available here.

Happy National Saxophone Day!

Happy Birthday to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone! Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he pantended his saxophone creation!

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Plus, we have more than 180 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box by the following RealTracks Artists:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

We have more than 30 different RealTracks Sets that include Saxophone RealTracks - for a complete list, click here.

Forum Stats
26610 Members
50 Forums
48269 Topics
395192 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
westwoodmiller, Gravino2017, abenitez, Jazzist, Johnny Boy

26609 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 230
Matt Finley 204