Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#433786 - 10/16/17 05:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: jford]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
My John. Those are some nice units. I remember the Craig brand and have had several units over the years. Thanks for posting.

#433789 - 10/16/17 05:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Jim Fogle]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

I look like a high school journalist about to take an interview. And the hair, well....

#433790 - 10/16/17 05:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: jford]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
John,

I noticed yours came with the round blades power plug. Nice job digitizing the photos too!
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#436541 - 11/04/17 09:09 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Islansoul Offline
Journeyman

Loc: St. Petersburg , FL
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Matt, with the exception of the drums track, this can be done repeatedly without stressing the computer resources in the following manner.

Assume the 'style' I created above is something I want to retain and build on....

Render and export this mix to a Wav file.

Import the rendered Wav file to the Audio Track.

Move the Audio track to the Bass Track as a Stereo Performance track.

Kill the Audio Track - Mute the Drums Track **

Replace the remaining tracks other than the Drums track with new Medley Files of 6 Instruments

Render and export this mix to a Wav file.

Import the rendered Wav file to the Audio Track.

Move the Audio track to the Piano Track as a Stereo Performance track.

You can keep repeating the process over and over. There is no loss in quality in the renders.

Using the amazing Performance Track/Audio Track feature allows a user to easily increase the 8 track BIAB limit because together, they function a a Bounce feature.... I consider each rendered a sub mix and you simply have to live with and be satisfied with each sub mix. However, you can tweak and re-render at each stage of the process to get the mix right...

** - I recently attempted to replace the drums with another instrument and in this instance, which is the only time I've tried, the new instrument was merged with the Drums on the Drums Track. So, if that holds true and the merge is a good mix, this track would also be available to generate an additional instrument.

Charlie

Please make a video of you doing this. I would love to see the workflow.
music producer/engineer

#436556 - 11/04/17 10:47 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Islansoul]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

At the moment, I don't have software to do the screen captures but I will make some jpg's and post them.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (11/04/17 10:47 AM)

#436559 - 11/04/17 11:07 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Islansoul]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

The medley feature allows about 10 RealTracks per track, so you could have up to 70 RealTracks at once using the 7 tracks.
- this wouldn't use that much memory, because the 70 tracks are never in memory at the same time, they just get merged into the 7 tracks.
- if there was a bottleneck, it is that playback is started right away and the tracks are being generated in the background. If the song was playing faster than tha background process you would hear dropouts. The solution there is to press song settings and disable fast generation for this song. Doing this it will take longer to generate this song before the music starts but once it starts it's fully generated and will play smoothly.

#436570 - 11/04/17 12:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
At the moment, I don't have software to do the screen captures but I will make some jpg's and post them.

http://www.screentogif.com/ just do short ones under 2meg, set fps to about 6.

#436622 - 11/04/17 07:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: PeterGannon]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
The medley feature allows about 10 RealTracks per track, so you could have up to 70 RealTracks at once using the 7 tracks.
- this wouldn't use that much memory, because the 70 tracks are never in memory at the same time, they just get merged into the 7 tracks.
- if there was a bottleneck, it is that playback is started right away and the tracks are being generated in the background. If the song was playing faster than tha background process you would hear dropouts. The solution there is to press song settings and disable fast generation for this song. Doing this it will take longer to generate this song before the music starts but once it starts it's fully generated and will play smoothly.

Another way to avoid memory issues is to render the mix to audio and import that audio and move the audio from the audio track to another track as a Performance Track. A Performance Track does not regenerate so at that point and you can then add an additional 60 RealTracks to the remaining 6 tracks if you desire, repeat the render to audio and again transfer it from audio track to a Performance Track and continue on and on with no loss of quality...

#436623 - 11/04/17 07:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Pipeline]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Thanks Pipeline. I'll give that software a look.

#436750 - 11/06/17 04:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Islansoul]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Well, I've played with the program Pipeline suggested and it works great. I can create screen grab gif files. I haven't been able to get them to all show up in a post... Only one screenshot will post and the others show as downloadable links. Not been able to create a workable workflow post yet.

I'll attempt to explain the workflow better.

1. create a song using the first 7 tracks, a style, any RT or midi changes, mix, pan, set volumes and plug ins, etc.

2. Render your mix to audio and note where it saves to.

3. Import the rendered track. It imports to the Audio Track. The default import settings should be correct to import the audio so it syncs with the song.

3. Move the Audio Track to a Performance Track. <Audio/Move Audio to Performance Track>
You can choose any track. I usually start at the top with the Bass Track, but any track will do except Drums.

4. At this point I normally mute the Drums track and set the Drums Track volume to 0.
The Performance Track does not regenerate so I am free to change Style, Realtracks, midi tracks, the chord chart and other parameters without effecting the Performance Track. So here I will use the remaining six tracks (you can use the Audio Track or Drums Track if needed) and repeat step two. You do not have to mute the Performance Track, but if you don't it is included with the mix you are making at this point. So if this is a far as you need to bounce tracks, include the PT and Render your final mix. If you want to continue to add tracks and instruments, you need to mute the PT.

5. Mix and Render the additional change mix you've created.

5. Import this mix and move it to another Performance Track. You now have two Performance tracks and seven available tracks (less Drums Track but including the Audio Track if you are recording or importing Audio) My Mixer normally shows PT tracks on the Bass and Piano track.

6. If you fill all seven tracks with Performance Track mixes. You can Render this mix to Audio, import it and have 7 tracks to replace existing performance tracks with new RealTracks, Midi or Super Midi and even live or imported audio -

Once you have rendered a mix to audio and then import the audio back into BIAB Audio Track, all of the other mixer tracks are available to have the existing instrument replaced with a new instrument or instruments. Each track can have up to 10 instrument changes so this process allows a mix to contain hundreds of instrument changes, crossfades between instruments on dozens of tracks.

The BIAB Mixer works like the old style 8 track recorders and the bounce technique is old school recording with the benefit of being digital and having digital storage, you have unlimited instruments and track saving capabilities.

While my example takes bouncing to the extreme, that's just for demonstration. You may never want to put 10 instruments on a track but if you put two on a track and then create a 2nd track with the same instruments swapping places, a fiddle and guitar on track one, then, the same instruments place on the 2nd track guitar and fiddle, using panning, volume changes and F5 muting - you can create very interesting and realistic crossfades between the two.

This doesn't replace a DAW but I hope to show that BIAB is much more versitile and a creative tool than some my have been aware of.

I hope this explanation is clearer as a workflow process.

I have included a gif to show how I move my imported audio to a Performance Track. Thanks to Pipeline for the software suggestion.

Attachments
Three.gif (120 downloads)

Edited by Charlie Fogle (11/06/17 04:35 AM)

#436781 - 11/06/17 09:55 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

To get them to show in the post just right click on the link > Copy Link Location/Shortcut > Edit Post > Then click Enter Image button above.
you can put that in the spoiler tag so it don't load/show unless you click:
Code:
[spoiler][img]http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6194&filename=Three.gif[/img] [/spoiler]

Click to reveal..

or show all the time without the spoiler,
I think it's just an old thing for bandwidth usage, not loading large images with every view.

you can paste the image link in the Link button above to give
an Open in New Tab full screen view with bold tag on the link text.

Code:
  [url=http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6194&filename=Three.gif][b]View Full Screen[/b][/url]

View Full Screen

Attachments
PG_Copy_Link_Location.jpg

PG_Insert_Image.jpg

Edited by Pipeline (11/06/17 10:19 AM)

#437010 - 11/07/17 04:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Pipeline]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Thanks Pipeline. I'll follow these instructions in future posts.

Charlie

#437013 - 11/07/17 04:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Islansoul]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Very informative, Pipeline! Thank you!

#437017 - 11/07/17 05:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Islansoul]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Charlie,

This looks like it was a pretty good Christmas!

It's an excellent glimpse into the past.

All the best,
Noel

#437030 - 11/07/17 08:25 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Multi Track Real Tracks [Re: Noel96]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Thanks Noel. Thinking of the past, the tape recorder mic looks like a carbon mic similar to what would be found in an old telephone. The recorder was likely intended and optimized for voice dictation and not music.....

Such tech details would have never crossed my mind back in those days... Apparently, neither would a hair brush!

Charlie

Edited by Charlie Fogle (11/07/17 08:27 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Forum Stats
26977 Members
49 Forums
49726 Topics
407170 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Marz, Frank Gualtieri, David Carden, Jaymel, sidrat

26977 Registered Users