Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I write and play in quite a few different genres. The flexibility BIAB gives me makes transpositions, from one genre to another, so easy and quick. A number of times I've created a piece, intending it to be a Smooth Jazz or Smooth RnB song. But when I generated the song, it just didn't work in the intended genre.

With a simple click of the Style Picker ... BAM! The song ended up as a pretty decent Pop song. I only had to replace a couple of instruments from the new style and alter a couple of chords.

Just for kicks, I changed nothing but the style (through Style Picker) and got some very interesting results, a couple of which ended up as new songs.

I love playing around with the styles - lots of fun! Sometimes the results is hilarious, sometimes interesting, sometimes just bad and often pretty cool! I spend several hours per week doing just that. You never know what might happen that never crossed your mind.

Have fun with your music!

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 10/19/17 01:23 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
Great post, Alan.

I compose Brazilian and Latin jazz but I often mix genres in individual parts to make grooves no one has heard before. BIAB makes it easy to experiment.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Certainly the flexibility knows no bounds.

The versatility to change things around as your have done is probably understated.

It's good to see others enjoying the 'experimenting'.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, SynthogyIvory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer ActiveMonitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
Great post Alan!

Like you I have many songs that started with one style only to find another style worked better and/or lead me into a new direction.

I really like putting chords into BiaB then just playing with styles. It is not only fun but also very educational, at least to myself. I am playing genres now that I never even thought of playing before I got BiaB.

I believe that the only limitation of either choosing a BiaB style or mixing and blending BiaB styles is your imagination.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
I love taking a song and just running it through different styles in various genres. Often I hit upon one that is very different from the original, but I really like. Doesn't matter if anyone else likes it, I like it and enjoy listening to it that way.

Great post, Alan. Agree 100%.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
My Favorite Things
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
One of my favorite projects was creating from "Erase The Miles", a bluegrass tune by Third Tyme Out, into a 'in the style of Elvis' backing track for a friend who's an amateur Elvis impersonator.

Very easy to do with BIAB...

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Great post, Alan.

I compose Brazilian and Latin jazz but I often mix genres in individual parts to make grooves no one has heard before. BIAB makes it easy to experiment.

Hi Matt,

Good to hear your take on this. I've not heard any of your compositions ... would love to. Is there a link I can go to hear your music? Di and I are big fans of Latin Jazz, well, most of the Latin genres and subgenres; but Latin Jazz is our favorite.

We do a fair amount of Latin compositions, but mostly Bossa. We find almost all the music from Brazil to be fun and exciting. Thanks for chiming in.

Alan

PS: If you recall, a couple of months ago I posted about Maj6th chords and you replied with a suggestion to use a 6-9 chord. I answered I didn't think it would work. I found that it will work some of the time if i extend the scale. other times, it would work for rhythm backing but not for chord leads. I was going to do a video but just never got to it. Long story why I didn't, but I won't bore you with it. Anyway, thanks for that 6-9 suggestion - it's given new life to some of the songs where I was stymied.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Certainly the flexibility knows no bounds.

The versatility to change things around as your have done is probably understated.

It's good to see others enjoying the 'experimenting'.

Hi VT,

Yes, I think that flexibility isn't employed as much as some folks might do so. It's given me so many ideas and the process is relatively simple. As I mentioned in my original post, it can be a lot of fun - sometimes very rewarding.

Keep putting out that goods VT music, my friend!

Alan

My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Great post Alan!

Like you I have many songs that started with one style only to find another style worked better and/or lead me into a new direction.

I really like putting chords into BiaB then just playing with styles. It is not only fun but also very educational, at least to myself. I am playing genres now that I never even thought of playing before I got BiaB.

I believe that the only limitation of either choosing a BiaB style or mixing and blending BiaB styles is your imagination.

YMMV

hello mario!

Yeah ... I do that a lot. Even if it doesn't give me something I can actually work with, it stimulates to try new things. Those of us who tend to play around in various genres can have some fun and get some rewards with that bit of tinkering. best to you. Stay warm up there in New York

Alan

My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
I love taking a song and just running it through different styles in various genres. Often I hit upon one that is very different from the original, but I really like. Doesn't matter if anyone else likes it, I like it and enjoy listening to it that way.

Great post, Alan. Agree 100%.

Hi John!

the very first sentence of your reply is exactly what I was referring to, And it can lead to some fun and interesting results. And I agree, if i like it ... good enough!

Thanks for the reply. Best to you.

Alan

My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
One of my favorite projects was creating from "Erase The Miles", a bluegrass tune by Third Tyme Out, into a 'in the style of Elvis' backing track for a friend who's an amateur Elvis impersonator.

Very easy to do with BIAB...

Charlie

Charlie,

That's a great example of what I was referring to. It's unlimited what one can do with a few minutes of experimenting and then some massaging of the tracks and tine. You hit the nail on the head. Wishing you well.

Alan

My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alan. Did you see, Callie from PG Music just posted your comment? http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437960#Post437960

It’s also on the running PG Music News to the right, if you have that turned on.

Very nice! Congrats.

About my music, both Mario and John Ford above, and Pat Marr, have heard me live. I do have a studio CD I released in 2006, called Brazilian Wish. You can preview it on the website that is my two names together .com It is also on all the usual suspects for online music. Dr. Gannon gave me permission a long time ago to mention it because I wrote all nine songs on the CD using BIAB. Although the CD is played by all pros in the studios, I sent them charts and the BIAB song demos first so they would be better prepared to play what I wanted. It's a system I continue to use, including for most of the other ten CDs on which I appear. Since that time, BIAB added RealDrums then RealTracks, so the demos get better and better.

I don't recall exactly what I may have said about the Major 6th chord versus 6/9, but we could certainly resume that in another thread if you like. 6/9 is a staple in Brazilian jazz (and my compositions), and that's probably why I mentioned it. But there is more to it if you want to talk more. The 13th is the same pitch as a 6th, just voiced up an octave, so that gives you all kinds of additional possibilities in the upper extensions (you spoke of 'extending the scale'), although it adds a dominant feel because it also includes the minor (dominant) 7th.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Alan. Did you see, Callie from PG Music just posted your comment? http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437960#Post437960

It’s also on the running PG Music News to the right, if you have that turned on.

Very nice! Congrats.

About my music, both Mario and John Ford above, and Pat Marr, have heard me live. I do have a studio CD I released in 2006, called Brazilian Wish. You can preview it on the website that is my two names together .com It is also on all the usual suspects for online music. Dr. Gannon gave me permission a long time ago to mention it because I wrote all nine songs on the CD using BIAB. Although the CD is played by all pros in the studios, I sent them charts and the BIAB song demos first so they would be better prepared to play what I wanted. It's a system I continue to use, including for most of the other ten CDs on which I appear. Since that time, BIAB added RealDrums then RealTracks, so the demos get better and better.

I don't recall exactly what I may have said about the Major 6th chord versus 6/9, but we could certainly resume that in another thread if you like. 6/9 is a staple in Brazilian jazz (and my compositions), and that's probably why I mentioned it. But there is more to it if you want to talk more. The 13th is the same pitch as a 6th, just voiced up an octave, so that gives you all kinds of additional possibilities in the upper extensions (you spoke of 'extending the scale'), although it adds a dominant feel because it also includes the minor (dominant) 7th.
\

Hi Again, Matt.

Yes, I did see tha5t. It's very nice and rewarding to know one's thoughts and experiences are constructive and or interesting enough to garner a small spotlight. I'm very appreciative of her recognition.

And yes, again, i would like to further pursue the 6/9 and Maj6 discussion in the near future. I think I should let you know that although I do not read notation appreciably, I have a very good understanding of chords, chord structure and how they are mutually used. And I am proficient with the Nashville numbering system.

In the Jazz pieces I compose and perform, I routinely use Maj6, Maj9, m9, m11, m7b5, 7#5,13,13b9, dim and other related chords. I use them a lot in Smooth RnB, too. Just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from.

I appreciate your offer to further discuss the subject. I'm always hungry for new information! Thank you again.

Alan

PS: From time to time, you will significant typos in my messages. I have Focal Dystonia, which makes typing a real nightmare - playing guitar as well. I'm a good speller but my fingers don't want to cooperate at times.

My Favorite Things
B
Expert
Expert
B

Very nice! Congrats.

Dear Mr. Finley...

I hope I am not intruding on this post...

You stated that the "6/9 is a staple in Brazilian jazz (and my compositions)". Is that knowledge you gained simply from playing/performing in that genre, or did you encounter some kind of theoretical instruction -- possibly in printable form -- that you consulted and then applied to your own music?

Thank you for your attention,

LOREN

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
You stated that the "6/9 is a staple in Brazilian jazz (and my compositions)". Is that knowledge you gained simply from playing/performing in that genre, or did you encounter some kind of theoretical instruction -- possibly in printable form -- that you consulted and then applied to your own music?

Hi Loren. There is really nothing special. If you look at the sheet music for Brazilian music, especially Bossa nova songs, you will often see 6/9 chords. They are perhaps most effective on acoustic guitar - a truly lovely sound. This has been the case since I started listening to and playing this music in the early 1960s.

My Favorite Things
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hello, again, Mr. Finley...

All right. Thank you for responding so swiftly and simply! smile

Sincerely,

LOREN

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,353
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213