You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#437370 - 11/10/17 08:03 AM [RealBand] Absolute beginner question - no sound
Lyle Offline

I just fired up Real Band 2017 on Windows for the first time, chose the software synth at startup (I think), entered chords, hit play.
The song evidently plays, but no sound.

Clearly some problem with audio setup, but where to look?

Thanks....

#437393 - 11/10/17 10:48 AM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Did you choose a MIDI only style or a RealTracks style?

Do you hear a count-in first, or nothing at all?

Do other sound programs work on that computer OK?

A further thought: Do you have sound from BiaB?

Edited by VideoTrack (11/10/17 10:51 AM)
Edit Reason: BiaB question

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#437427 - 11/10/17 03:24 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Muzic Trax Online   content
Veteran

Loc: California
Check your audio drivers and midi in/out settings 1st.

Trax

#437468 - 11/10/17 06:27 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Suggest you look at Options > Preferences > Audio.
Check if Audio Drivers are set to MME, Audio File Type 16 bit, 44.1KHz

Press the Drivers button, and see what Audio Output Driver is selected to.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#437503 - 11/11/17 06:01 AM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Lyle Offline

- I'm using what seems to be the default style, ZZJAZZ
- no sound over 2 count-in bars, no sound while playing marked chord
- BIAB, Audacity, Spotify all work fine
- Audio Preferences set to: 16bit 44.1, MME
- Drivers: "Microsoft Sound Manager" and "Microsoft Sound Mapper" are selected and at the top.

Honestly, all I did was an install, selecting all defaults. Why me, Lord?

Thanks for the replies...

#437512 - 11/11/17 07:06 AM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Try msgs synth instead .. And any other available audio driver
Generally the mapper ones are not ideal

#437517 - 11/11/17 07:36 AM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Lyle Offline

Maybe something's not installed.

My Input Drivers are (in this order):
- Microsoft Sound Mapper (highlighted)
- Microphone (High Definition Aud
- Microphone (Digital Video Recor
- Line In (Digital Video Recorder

My Output Drivers are (in this order):
- Speakers (High Definition Audio (highlighted
- Microsoft Sound Mapper
- Speakers (High Definition Audio
- Speaker (Digital Video Recorder

I installed BIAB 2017 from a PGMusic distributed usb stick, onto my Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit laptop. I took all the defaults at install time.

I did find this page, and will go through it's suggestions:
http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_rbw_nosound.htm

Thanks, everyone, for your help....

#437524 - 11/11/17 10:08 AM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Are you in the windows mixer or RB Audio Drivers area?

They are different.

Edited by rharv (11/11/17 10:10 AM)

#437538 - 11/11/17 12:27 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Example

Attachments
RB_Midi_Drivers.jpg

RB_MME_Drivers.jpg

#437540 - 11/11/17 12:31 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Lyle Offline

RealBand -> Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> Drivers
The lists I gave above are all I see.

Maybe I should reinstall??

Thanks again to everyone....

#437561 - 11/11/17 02:30 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Quote:
- I'm using what seems to be the default style, ZZJAZZ

That is a Midi style so you need a midi device to play it.
What is your Midi Devices set to ????
Click on the Midi Devices button at the top.
To take a pic press Print Screen button on your keyboard, use Alt+PrtScrn to take a pic of current window, Open Paint and paste, save it as a JPG, use the advance reply not quick reply to attach image.

#437594 - 11/11/17 07:06 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Lyle Offline

Let's see if I've figured out how to attach a jpg.

Yay! it worked....

Attachments
Capture.JPG

Edited by Lyle (11/11/17 07:06 PM)

#437597 - 11/11/17 07:39 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

So you should have sound now ? are you using the onboard RealTek audio into some speakers ?

#437605 - 11/11/17 08:44 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Lyle Offline

Sorry, still no sound.

RealTek, I never heard of. This is a Dell E6430 laptop, running Windows 10, and no added audio gizmos.

Audacity, BIAB, Spotify all play fine through my external speakers

And I really took all the defaults at install time, so don't know why I'm such a "problem child".

Thanks...

#437607 - 11/11/17 08:50 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Take a look and note down all of the Audio Settings etc that are being used in BiaB (Options > MIDI/Audio Driver Setup), and make sure that RealBand is set to use the exact same settings.

#437721 - 11/12/17 02:40 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
rharv Offline
Veteran

In Options-Preferences- Audio Tab

Click the Drivers button.

Select the desired audio output port (speakers?), and then click the 'Move Selected Device to Top' button (this makes it the default device in RB).

Hopefully this last bit helps with actually hearing the sound.

#439657 - 11/22/17 04:09 PM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Kent - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi Lyle,

In Band-in-a-Box, you can simply type in chords, pick a style, hit Play, and hear something, but RealBand works very differently. It doesn't automatically generate anything when you hit Play. If you look in the Tracks window, tracks are likely all empty.

It sounds like you needed to open a song that you'd created in Band-in-a-Box already (recommended), or hit the Generate button on the RealBand toolbar, then "Generate All BB Tracks", if you want to create the song only using RealBand.

If you'd like to make sure your audio and MIDI settings are correct, the demo song Listen.SEQ in the X:\RealBand\Samples folder is a great test, as it contains audio and MIDI tracks.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

#441168 - 11/28/17 06:20 AM [RealBand] Re: Absolute beginner question - no sound [Re: Lyle]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Hi Lyle....

did you install a "default synth" for RB?

I want to think that the default Microsoft sound card synth doesn't work because I had to specifically set up TTS to be my default synth. As soon as I did that I had sound.

this was my problem with no sound when I first started. If you have sound in BB it's because you have a synth in it. I think you need to do the same thing in RB.

I'm pretty sure audio should play if you have the driver set up properly, but midi based tracks won't, and that includes the count in.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 520 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows users can download the latest free patch update, Build 250, here.

Summary of changes for Build 520 since 519 (July 17 2018):
Added: Save As style feature has support for MIDI velocity changes if volumes aren’t 90 on mixer when saved.
Added: Support for MIDI velocity changes in styles. Use the Misc-More dialog in StyleMaker to set velocity changes in MIDI styles.
Fixed: [Style Memos etc] button was not visible in the Style Editor -> Misc dialog.
Fixed: Bar lines would not display properly in the Audio Edit window if launching through the menu item "Audio Chord Wizard (Audio Edit)".
Fixed: Hitting the Return key while in the Audio Edit window might trigger Loop Screen mode.
Updated: PDF Manual and Help.

User Blog - Recording and Processing Vocals Using RealBand...

Joanne Cooper's latest blog post is a "start to finish" of how she records and processes vocals for her songs using her three "go-to" programs: RealBand, Melodyne, and Nectar from Izotope (with a little help from Band-in-a-Box...)!

Check out this blog post here.

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Musician Brent Mason in the Studio Recording RealTracks!

Before leaving Nashville, Tobin caught up with Brent Mason recording some future RealTracks in the studio.

We can't wait to hear them!

Video - Adding RealTracks to Your Band-in-a-Box® Song

There are 300 RealTracks Sets available (over 2,500 RealTracks!), and here at PG Music we have this to say about them: You'll want to use RealTracks in all of your projects... and you can!

But what if you're not sure how to add them to your Band-in-a-Box® song? We have a video for that! Click here to watch...

Save Notation Window as a Video with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Did you know... Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac allows you to save the Notation Window as a video? What a great way to share your songs with users, and LEARN from the notation as you listen!

From the program manual:
[Save As] | Save as video
-In the Make Notation Video dialog, select a track at the upper left corner. (Note: The dialog title says “Make Chord Sheet Video” until you select a track.)
-You can also set the dimension (width/height) of the video and select the number of frames per second and a specific codec.
-Press the [OK - Render Video] button to start rendering the video. When the video has been created, press the [Show Video File] button.
-You can then double click on the file to watch the rendered video.

Note: A special use of this feature is to combine a Video RealTracks (new with version 2018) with the corresponding notation in a single video. This creates an educational video, which shows the actual performance with notation/tab, playing over your chord progression! To do this, right-click on the Master button or one of the track buttons at the top of the main screen and select Render Video(s) from the menu.

Forum Stats
27717 Members
50 Forums
52606 Topics
435985 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
LaurieS, jigelaz, gerry logan, jack homburg, perljazz

27716 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 155
Al-David 153