Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#441875 - 12/01/17 11:17 AM [Songwriting] Copyright Question advice required!
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Hi All,
The question I hope you can shed some light.I have looked on line alot and cant get a definite answer.
Can I use a movie qoutation in a song?or is it copyrighted
Can I use a movie name as a song name?or is it copyrighted
If they are copyrighted can I re-jig the qoute or name around not to be an exact copy but still get my point accross.
For instance Deep Blue Something had a song "Breakfast at Tiffanys" Link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ClCpfeIELw

Did they have to get copyright permission off the owners?
Hope you can help Hugh

#441910 - 12/01/17 01:30 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
A movie quote is part of a copyrighted work, and is protected under that copyright.

A movie or song name is generally not copyrighted because by itself it is too short to be considered an independent work, but it may be trademarked.

Here's a good article that does a good job explaining what can be defended under "Fair Use", which notes:

Originally Posted By: Bradlee Frazer, actual lawyer
Anytime you use any third-party content without permission (including quotes), you run the risk of getting sued.

How the title or quote is used in the song will determine how valid Fair Use is as a defense. The article lists the four factors considered in Fair Use are:

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work;
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#441913 - 12/01/17 01:45 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

And remember...you can be sued for anything. And if you don't fight it you lose. But, you usually only need to worry if you have a hit. 99.99% of us have nothing to worry about!

Edited by JohnJohnJohn (12/01/17 01:45 PM)

#441915 - 12/01/17 01:53 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Hugh2
Hi All,
The question I hope you can shed some light.I have looked on line alot and cant get a definite answer.
Can I use a movie qoutation in a song?or is it copyrighted
Can I use a movie name as a song name?or is it copyrighted
If they are copyrighted can I re-jig the qoute or name around not to be an exact copy but still get my point accross.
For instance Deep Blue Something had a song "Breakfast at Tiffanys" Link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ClCpfeIELw

Did they have to get copyright permission off the owners?
Hope you can help Hugh

Hugh,

Copyright laws also vary from country to country. You'll need to check those laws that appropriate to where you live.

Regards,
Noel

#441929 - 12/01/17 02:33 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: dcuny]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Hi Dcuny,
Great Article,Im trying to digest it.Thanks for the link.urs Hugh

#441930 - 12/01/17 02:34 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Thanks John,
A hit whats that lol
Hugh

#441947 - 12/01/17 04:00 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
Normally, use of a bit or piece of a known work is permitted for illustration of education. Example, to write,
1) "Remember the great line from the movie, "Casablanca," "Here's looking at you, Kid." It was one of Bogart's most memorable lines."
--------
Even though the line may not have been original at the time, the fair use of the line for literary, journalistic or educational purposes (the operative word) would likely hold up, today. What you don't want to do is to try to pass it or its usage off as your own.
-----------
2) As a rule, titles cannot be copyrighted.
-----------
Here again, as JJJ suggest, let caution be your guide when stepping on the big boys' lines. They don't play fair, those big boys. (One reason for that is that many of them make their livings stealing other people's material.
-----------
With respect to the video, my impression is that the group was intentionally pushing the envelope in several directions, demonstrating that New York, as a media and entertainment center, is basically finis. (Meaning, years ago, you wouldn't dare run and gun around Manhattan.)

Edited by edshaw (12/01/17 04:09 PM)
TEAC Digital deck
HD Stereo field recorder w/ clock

#441952 - 12/01/17 04:26 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: edshaw]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Hi Ed Thanks
Its a tricky one!Their doesnt seem to be a definite answer until ur sued!
I dont want to get the demo track sung until I know my wording isnt going to upset anyone is where im at,urs Hugh

#441960 - 12/01/17 05:28 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Another way of saying, Hugh, that each case (with the exception of
flagrant violations) is to be judged on its own merits.
Here again, there is a reluctance on the part of creators to
post the particulars of individual events or cases in question.
The forum members are not likely to want to dispense legal advice.
TEAC Digital deck

#442119 - 12/02/17 12:58 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

titles to songs and movies and such thing are not protected by copyright. So feel free to reuse any of those you wish.

How many different songs all have the title HEARTBREAKER... look it up. Zepplin, Pat Benatar, Pink, Maria C,,,,, and a bunch more all have totally different songs with that name.

As far as using a line from a movie.... yeah, that's copyrighted BUT.... it's also in many cases, everyday speech. If it's a classic line.... Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn, or something else like that.... be careful using it. Personally, I'd try to be more creative and write my own line or at the very least alter it so it's not a carbon copy of the original.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#442142 - 12/02/17 01:55 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: edshaw]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Hi Ed,
Thanks again.I'd like to post the exact line and would love to hear an opinion whether its legally accurate or not'
So I made a very catch piece of music with BIAB about two years ago and have the backing track finished,
So its a seasonal song and I called it "Its A Wonderful Life" as the movie was in the public domain or so I thought!It was in the public domain and then through a congress act it went back into copyright as it derived from a short story that was always copyrighted.So I thought then that was that but seemingly it may not be copyrighted but the company its owned by have TV rights over it.In theory a the film could be chopped in changed and new music put to it and thats ok,
The song is a protest Christmas song, which basically lampoons the idea of its a wonderful life and Im not as concerned over the title but I have the line "everytime an angel gets its wings,a bell rings" which is not the original line .The original line is everytime a bell rings an angel gets its wings which could be a similar idea.The title could be changed to What A Wonderful Life without effecting the idea of the song.The line from the song has been used before in another song,
urs Hugh

#442149 - 12/02/17 02:06 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Guitarhacker]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Hi Guitarhacker,
thanks for the info,yeah the line im using wont fit in the way its been said in the movie so I cant use it anyway in that form,
How far I wonder of a change does it have to be before its not a copyrighted line? and am I just expressing an idea and so not under copyright if I change it.
As for the creative side the rest of the song has very unusual,original lyrics protesting its a wonderful life idea a bit like Greg Lakes Christmas song I Believe In Father Christmas.
So thats the complete story and any opinions legal or not,incorrect or correct are welcome,urs Hugh

#442510 - 12/04/17 05:35 AM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

How far I wonder of a change does it have to be before its not a copyrighted line? and am I just expressing an idea and so not under copyright if I change it.

That, my friend, is why they have courts, judges, and juries... to officially answer that question for you. But unfortunately for you, after the fact.

Edited by Guitarhacker (12/04/17 05:35 AM)

#442608 - 12/04/17 12:18 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Guitarhacker]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Herb,
Guilty ur honor,
You can have a whip around to pay for my defence!lol

#442610 - 12/04/17 12:23 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
So its a seasonal song and I called it "Its A Wonderful Life"...

I'm not a lawyer, but a title that short and generic can't be copyrighted, so it would seem you're on solid ground there.

The song is a protest Christmas song, which basically lampoons the idea of its a wonderful life...

In this case, you're referencing the movie by title, and somewhat ironically. This still seems safe to me.

...but I have the line "everytime an angel gets its wings,a bell rings" which is not the original line.

If this were a "traditional" saying, there'd be no issue in the first place, since the film wouldn't be able to copyright something in the public domain.

But I've not been able to find it in reference to anything other than "It's a Wonderful Life". In addition to Google, I looked through a number of public domain books of quotations, and got nothing.

So I suspect that the line itself is a creation for the movie. Assuming that it is (and therefore under copyright), does you use fall under Fair Use?

Given the brevity of the quote, the fact that it's in inexact quote, and that the entire song is an ironic commentary of "It's a Wonderful Life", it seems pretty clear to me that you're safe in using it.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#442733 - 12/05/17 07:04 AM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: dcuny]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Hi David,
Thanks for the reply and realizing ur not a lawyer but the logic of the use is what I think is right.Dont want to take someones else's original idea but I want to question it in song form (Christmas Grouch) and that is Ironic.Looks like I wont get it sung out it time for this year anyway lol Thanks again Hugh

#442738 - 12/05/17 07:44 AM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

copyright generally applies to exact matches or really really close ones. The more iconic, the greater the leeway in determining the match.

The real fact of the matter is, MONEY. The only way you would face any sort of issue would be if the song made lots and lots of 7 digit kind of money. Since it not very likely that the song would earn even low 3 digit money, I think you're relatively safe using that "not quite exact" phrase that kind of sounds like one from an iconic movie.

Generally, if you're not making money from the song, you get a letter demanding that you cease and desist, or they ask YouTube to remove it. It's only when there's a fair amount of money being made that the letter says "see you in court".

I'm not a lawyer so take that advice at your own risk.

#442898 - 12/05/17 05:07 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

That's right, GuitarHacker. I note the Harry Fox Agency responded with a limited You Tube license as a step to help in that area.
https://www.harryfox.com is a must read resource.
With respect to the question:
"How far I wonder of a change does it have to be before its not a copyrighted line? and am I just expressing an idea and so not under copyright if I change it."
The answer involves, among other qualifications, changing the material 15%. There's a ball of wax to keep you occupied for a spell !
TEAC Digital deck

#443462 - 12/07/17 08:26 PM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: Hugh2]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Google the lyrics to Bertie Higgins Key Largo. smile
My Videos

#443597 - 12/08/17 11:33 AM [Songwriting] Re: Copyright Question advice required! [Re: edshaw]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Hi
15% lol you have to love it,urs Hugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Video - Using the StylePicker in Band-in-a-Box®

We've just updated our StylePicker video tutorial - see the latest version here.
This video uses Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, however all of the functions are applicable to the Mac version.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 5 - All Xtra Styles are On Sale Until August 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 includes over 160 fully-mixed styles in 4 volumes: Rock-Pop 5, Jazz 5, Country 5, and MIDI 1. Learn more about these new RealStyles with our latest video: click here to view

During our Xtra Styles PAK special, we're offering some GREAT sale pricing on ALL of our Xtra Styles PAKs!

$29 each: Xtra Styles PAK Volumes 1-5 (reg. $49) or for a limited time purchase ALL 5 for only $99!

$49: purchase the Xtra StylesPAK + Unreleased RealTracks bundle (reg. $79). The "Unreleased RealTracks" refer to the 40 Bonus RealTracks included in the 2018 49-PAK - a great purchase option if you did not add the 49-PAK to your UltraPAK or Audiophile Upgrade during our Version 2018 release special.

$119: Xtra Styles PAKs 1-5 + Unreleased RealTracks - limited time offer

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAK 5, listen to demos, or purchase today:
Xtra Styles PAKs for Windows
Xtra Styles PAKs for Mac

Forum Stats
27823 Members
51 Forums
52974 Topics
439621 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
brothert67, Robertbudpratt, BennyP, Musicmanicny, LionelNeufTrois