Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#439584 - 11/22/17 12:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
beatmaster Offline
Apprentice

Just stating that if you where interested and that I was about to buy a 79 dollar reverb then bought mixcraft tons of plugs and loops awesome recording sound etc.

David yes I know we all get stuck in a bit of a rut depending on a fav Daw.

awww well onwards and upwards.

#439585 - 11/22/17 12:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: David Snyder]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Everybody DON'T PANIC!

Why not wait and see what is going to happen in the next few months instead of running out and buying a new DAW? Does Sonar meet your needs now? If so use it. If Cakewalk isn't picked up in a few months then it is time to change. Unless of course you are like me! Sonar as it stand right now does all I need so I will probably use it for at least another year and maybe longer.

YMMV

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#439589 - 11/22/17 12:59 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
beatmaster Offline
Apprentice

Yes I agree Mario it was a good buy for me, as their are two excellent reverbs that I have tried so far.

I got another daw and a whole load of plugs for the price of one.

It does blow sonar/acid out the water tho l.o.l.

#439593 - 11/22/17 01:08 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Hmmmm, puts the Craig Anderton leaving Cakewalk recently into perspective, doesn't it?

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#439594 - 11/22/17 01:10 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
jford Offline
Veteran

And this really sucks. I have purchased over the years almost everything Cakewalk related - sound libraries, DAW's, etc.

I hope they sell off the Cakewalk division, rather than just drop it, and then the new company offers something for loyal companies.

Otherwise, I will never ever buy anything with a Gibson or Philips brand again. May not make a difference to them, but that's my response to something like this.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#439600 - 11/22/17 01:35 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I’m concerned that they keep the authorization servers working. If not, my lifetime ‘subscription’ reverts to demo mode. That would be bad.

I plan to just sit tight, but also start saving any unfinished project files. Then I’ll decide which other DAW to use.

To the poster who said the BIAB files sound better in another DAW besides SONAR, well, no. There is something else at work.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#439616 - 11/22/17 02:18 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: MarioD]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Yes, good advice Mario. Let's not jump to conclusions here. Early days still. Early days.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#439625 - 11/22/17 02:35 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
jford Offline
Veteran

Shows how much they care about their customers that have dropped a good bit of money on their products.

I guess all they have to say is, "sorry".

And the lifetime offer was when Cakewalk was already owned by Gibson, so what the hell??? Did they know then that "lifetime" was really about two years or so?

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

#439642 - 11/22/17 03:21 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Hope I don't sound like an ambulance chasing lawyer, but

... the folks over in the Reaper forum will welcome you all with open arms. For those who don't know, Reaper is simply fantastic. Rock Solid and fully featured. New features added on a frequent basis and I never see bugs. A complete detailed manual which is updated with each new revision. But better yet, just Google what you want with the word Reaper and you will find the instructions. Compatible with everything!

Free to try for 60 days, then 6 sec delay screen at start to remind you that you should send them 60 USD [that means, Try until you buy, no restrictions]. I didn't leave Pro-tools, Pro-tools left me. Went to Reaper and never looked back.

This may be the time for you to come on over. Look for me in the Forum. I am still Jazzmandan over there.
SoundCloud

#439689 - 11/22/17 06:06 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: MusicStudent]
pghboemike Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

... the folks over in the Reaper forum will welcome you all with open arms..

maybe someone will start a reaper for sonar users thread over there to ease the transision

#439708 - 11/22/17 07:23 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
rockstar_not Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
I’ll tell the Tracktion story to possibly give the Cakewalk owners some hope.

Tracktion was developed primarily by one developer through version 2 or so. Then Mackie bought it and bundled a pile of software with it, acted like they would push the software which they did for a short time then abandoned all development. Panic ensued in the rather small user base. Software went dark for several years. Original developer reappeared with a new team and it came back to life and is now at what amounts to version 8. It’s still my fave DAW and has led PRo Tools in some features by years. Still very inexpensive relatively speaking. Still confusing to people that can’t use a DAW without a fake mixing board on screen.

#439754 - 11/22/17 10:32 PM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Houston, Texas
I read this news with some distress, being a Cakewalk user since the days of Pro Audio 8 (Win98 days) and I've played around with other Cakewalk products that would come bundled with sound cards and the like reaching all the way back to the good ol' DOS days.

There's one primary reason why I've stuck with Cakewalk all these years and it is because they've always included a Staff View in their products. I think on the staff when I write music. It's a big reason why I've stuck with BiaB for almost 20 years. A staff view. Pro Tools (ptui!) does not include a staff view in its product. So it is useless to me. Yes, AVID is the current publisher now for Sibelius, but Sibelius is more like pretty-looking music publishing software than software meant to get real sounds from. And it doesn't fit well with PT anyway.

I guess I'll continue to use Sonar until the bitter end. If I have to maintain an antiquated system just to keep Sonar going, I'll do so. Hopefully somebody will realize Gibson's folly and rescue Cakewalk from its predicament. What about an employee buy-out option? That's worked in other industries. It might in this case too.

Edited by cooltouch (11/22/17 10:33 PM)

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/michaelmcbroom/albums

#439811 - 11/23/17 05:23 AM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
beatmaster Offline
Apprentice

matt

To the poster who said the BIAB files sound better in another DAW besides SONAR, well, no. There is something else at work.

Hi Matt what do you mean by this, As i have used Cakewalk way back to midi only.

I am giving my honest opinion I was on mixcraft last night again and it is awesome what you get included for a daw .

And the special price means I'm looking at the Cakewalk scenario as luck.

Made me try another daw.

As the meerkat says simple.

#439823 - 11/23/17 06:14 AM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Hi beatmaster. I’m not disputing your good results but I would argue it’s not because you are playing .WAV files in another DAW. Any DAW playing .WAV files should sound exactly the same. In fact, if they don’t sound the same, something is very wrong.

So, since it sounds better to you in Mixcraft, there is another reason. It could be a difference in the default panning law, since SONAR has several choices. More likely you have some form of processing plugin set on in Mixcraft. Take a look for that. Or, on the flip side, maybe you had some plugin in SONAR that wasn’t helping.

Mixcraft is one of the few DAWs I haven’t used, so I’m glad you like it. Everyone has to choose a DAW based on features and user interface/workflow method. But not based on sound. Does that help?
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#439833 - 11/23/17 07:14 AM [Off-Topic] Re: calkwalk anoucement sad news [Re: F.M.M.]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Although I'm not a Cakewalk fan, I'm sad about this and I feel for you.

I still have an XP computer so that I can use Master Tracks Pro.

Microsoft bought Passport (the originators) so it could use its technology in Power Point. They sold the rights to Encore (notation) and MTPro (sequencer) to G-Vox.

G-Vox changed very little, they added long file names, more modern looking dialog boxes but introduced a number of bugs in it. All but a couple were eventually fixed.

They continued to develop Encore but did nothing for MTPro. Eventually one of the people in G-Vox bought MTPro and renamed his new company Passport with the intention of revising MTPro. That never happened.

I like MTPro because there is no Audio and thus a simpler interface with no sub or sub-sub menus. It's much faster to use and it also loads and saves fast so I spend more time on the musical instrument and less time on the computer.

Plus it's very powerful and has groove filters.

Then when I'm all done with the MIDI, if I want to add audio, I'll open the MIDI file in a DAW.

My oldest version of MTPro doesn't work in Win10 and it's the bug free version. The newest version barely works in Win10, certain features just don't work right, thus the XP computer.

MTPro started on the Motorola Mac and was upgraded to Intel/OSX - and no longer works. It was ported to the Atari first and then Windows. Now it's an orphan.

Cakewalk just got orphaned too. At least Cakewalk works on Win10 so you should be able to use it for a decade or more without worries.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

#TBT - The Beginning of Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box®

We released the much-loved Xtra Styles PAKs in August 2016! This release included 164 RealStyles for Jazz, Country, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter and worked with any Band-in-a-Box® 2016 or higher UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Xtra Styles PAKs were such a hit... we couldn't stop making them! Since their introduction, we've released 3 more PAKs with a total of over 600 Xtra Styles in all!

Want to hear what other program users are doing with their Xtra Styles? Visit our Xtra STyles Contests forum to hear all the songs submitted during previous song contest we've had: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=102&page=1

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and listen to their demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win.

Band-in-a-Box® Customer Feedback - Feel The Love!

Check out some great feedback we've received on our Facebook account from program users:

"I have been using Band-in-a-Box for years. It is the anchor of my music gigs as well as my fun in my studio. I have used other software but Band-in-a-Box is my main go to."
-Jack T.

"Love Band-in-a-Box. As someone who played professionally for 20 years and retired from live performing years ago, I still love music. Band-in-a-Box allows me to create fun arrangements which I can sing over or play over. There are THOUSANDS of different variations plus you can enter any chords you like and create any chart. It's also great for creating background tracks for videos and audio content for websites, training etc. And like everything else in the world . . . it may not be right for everyone. For those who love music and don't have the time to shed five or six instruments it's way cool."
-Vinnie R.

"This program has completely changed my playing for the good. I can experiment with playing chords and leads over various scenarios that I can quickly create and change. Love this program. I use it nearly every day."
-Dave R.

"I bought my first version in 1994 and have progressed to 2018 version. I use it to create backing tracks for live music performance. I currently have over 2,000 songs performance ready. If you can and type, and use mouse it will work for you."
-Roger M.

"The premiere reason for me for buying this program; it has given me the freedom to fully complete the foundation for my songs without the confinement of limited minded musicians. After the song concept is complete, it can then be presented those musicians to play as a cover song. Also writing a song with a band gives them partial ownership of your idea... not cool... especially since they may have fought your idea every step of the way.. Every member of an organized band should own a copy of this program to compose or to even give legitimate composition alternatives to the original songwriter."
-Paul V.

Thanks everyone!

Support for ABC Notation Format in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

ABC notation is the simple text-based notation system used by musicians worldwide to store chords, melody, and lyrics of songs. Now with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows you can open and save songs in ABC notation format!

To save the song in ABC notation format, press the [Save As] toolbar button and choose Save as ABC notation file from the menu. Once opened, select a track that you want to save and choose your other criteria - The [Copy to clipboard] button will copy the file to the clipboard (that you can then paste it into other programs). The [Save as File] button will let you type a name and select the destination in your hard drive.

Band-in-a-Box® Song Title Browser Requests Forum

Have you stumped the Song Title Browser feature in the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker?

If you tried to search for a popular song and this feature didn't offer you any listings, we'd love it if you'd let us know in our Wishlist forum here.

Posting your requests to this forum really does work - we used it to increase the database with the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 release!

Forum Stats
27108 Members
49 Forums
50256 Topics
412411 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Alex Westner, eschnack, krecords, Tuneslayer, donalcert

27108 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 289
Matt Finley 274