You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#443998 - 12/10/17 10:48 AM [Songwriting] Song Promotion Ideas
funkycornwall Offline
Apprentice

Surely this is the burning question rather than just the actual writing of the songs. You produce some great songs and then record them to the highest level. Now how do you make sure that they get heard? Seems to me that musicians are often very bad at the promotion side of the busines even though this is the most important aspect if you want to make some money.

Do any forum members have great ideas about how to promote your music? It is difficult for the one guy or girl operation to compete with established artists since they will have teams of people managing their websites, social media, videos, song plugging etc etc.

Just thought it would be great to hear some ideas about song promotion.

Edited by funkycornwall (12/10/17 03:24 PM)

#444392 - 12/11/17 04:15 PM [Songwriting] Re: Song Promotion Ideas [Re: funkycornwall]
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Back in the "good ol' days" record companies use to spend more on marketing, promotional tours, etc than on the recordings. Today's "hot stars" are all over social media, touring radio stations and trying to get invites to morning TV shows to get face time with their audience.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#444401 - 12/11/17 04:39 PM [Songwriting] Re: Song Promotion Ideas [Re: Jim Fogle]
funkycornwall Offline
Apprentice

Hi Jim

I am sure you're right about this but I was wondering what peoples’ ideas were for self-promotion of songs without huge budgets and when you are not known. Even if you create your own website there are so many million sites out there that it is difficult for people to find you.

You might have created some of the best songs possible but if no one hears them then they are not going to achieve very much.

Thanks for your comment

Tony

#444419 - 12/11/17 05:37 PM [Songwriting] Re: Song Promotion Ideas [Re: funkycornwall]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Tony,

To quote a highly respected member of these forums, Floyd Jane: "Nobody will buy it if they can't hear it!" ( sic )

I can probably get you airplay in New Zealand if it's Classic County. Otherwise, boldly submit it to DJs in the appropriate genre. You won't be paid but the exposure is priceless.

Be sure you have appropriate copyright protection beforehand.

Several forum members are enjoying airplay this way.

Donny

#444455 - 12/11/17 07:55 PM [Songwriting] Re: Song Promotion Ideas [Re: funkycornwall]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

You can start by putting a link to your music and/or website in your signature so it shows in every post you make. smile
My Videos

#444638 - 12/12/17 11:46 AM [Songwriting] Re: Song Promotion Ideas [Re: funkycornwall]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I don't know..... but there's a few people on FarceBook selling a course that holds the secrets of a six figure income doing nothing but music from your bedroom. For a price, you too can learn those secrets.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#447366 - 12/26/17 04:04 PM [Songwriting] Re: Song Promotion Ideas [Re: funkycornwall]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

It's really hard.

I hate to say this but I think there might actually be too much music, really. It's hard to filter.

I put out albums using ReverbNation's service (which means it goes to Spotify too and anywhere digital music is sold) and I actually have had decent downloads on my classical stuff. Not anything great, but at least it's something. (People are downloading entire albums at least.)

I can't really do any complaining, because I don't really buy that much new music, because I can't find much new stuff I would want to buy and I have a terabyte of stuff already.

I try and go on Spotify and listen to other people and it's overwhelming--there is just SO MUCH to listen to and everyone in America has a home studio now. The market is flooded.

Almost impossible to rise against the noise without the marketing machine the labels provide.

But, once in a while someone breaks through.....

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#447806 - 12/29/17 05:57 AM [Songwriting] Re: Song Promotion Ideas [Re: funkycornwall]
Will Rockwell Offline
Apprentice

Remember, Lorde broke on Soundcloud
"Until last November, Ella Yelich O’Connor was just a regular teenager from New Zealand. Then she uploaded her single “Royals” to SoundCloud under the stage name Lorde and everything changed."
Listen to Royals by LordeMusic #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/lordemusic/royals-1

#447856 - 12/29/17 11:24 AM [Songwriting] Re: Song Promotion Ideas [Re: Will Rockwell]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
A perfect example of why you should keep posting anyway!

smile

Like, I said...sometimes...

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#447860 - 12/29/17 11:35 AM [Songwriting] Re: Song Promotion Ideas [Re: funkycornwall]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Yeah... supply and demand.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

User Feedback - Run as Administrator

Our Forum is a great resource for all your Band-in-a-Box questions (and a GREAT place to connect with other program users!)

Among the many forums available, we have a User-to-User Tips & Tricks forum - perfect for sharing your own technical tips and tricks for any PG Music product!

Like the recent post by jford: You Should Run BIAB and RealBand As Administrator!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - Over 25 Entries!

We recently launched an Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest with 4 prizes of $150!

So far, there are more than 25 entries! Have a listen to these entries and submit your own song here.

Contest Rules:
-You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
-The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
-Public domain songs will be accepted.
-Multiple entries are permitted.
-Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline. (This contest runs until September 30th)

For complete information on this contest, click here.

Forum Stats
27971 Members
57 Forums
53956 Topics
445653 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Gabbiano, javah, THE PEA IS FREE, thai le, Jeumsoo/Byun

27971 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 456
David Snyder 151