You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#445778 - 12/18/17 03:47 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Changes to specific RTs not possible using F5? SOLVED
sixchannel Offline
Expert

Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
This is typical of the issue I have.

I have an SGU running with 1173 Accordion in it although it does not matter which RT - the problem exists generally. As set up by me using right click on the Mixer, it is set on "Held" notes/chords. This is fine for bars 1 - 9 but at Bar 10 I want to remove that "Held" and let it do its thing.
However, if I use F5, it does NOT put you back to the same page, merely gives you its "memo" so nothing can actually be amended. You are stuck with it in "Held" mode.

The Workround has been to use another track, also for 1173, and leave that as is, muted with F5 for Bars 1 - 9 and then letting it run from Bar 10. F5 is also used to MUTE the original 1173 AFTER Bar 9.
Its cumbersome, takes up a valuable track space - and its quite possible I'm missing something.

NOTE - this does NOT apply to Real Drums where using the F5 key you get the full menu so can change parameters within that RD simply by using it. SO - why not with RTs?
Ian

Edited by sixchannel (12/18/17 01:29 PM)

BB2018Plus,512,RB5,Cakewalk GTPro2(2003),Adobe Audition1.5(2003),WindowsXPPro and Win7

http://app.box.com/s/p7lirbbuvjae03dsd4v5

for tracks that use BIAB specifically-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel

#445780 - 12/18/17 04:09 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Changes to specific RTs not possible using F5? [Re: sixchannel]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Your situation is a perfect example to utilize the feature BIAB offers to have multiple instruments share the same track. You can change what an instrument does or change to another instrument altogether on the same track and not have to decrease your track count. Doing your instrument change this way also normally results in s smooth transition between the changes.

Each track can have up to 10 instruments occupy the track. Several Medley styles can be found that PGMusic has developed to demonstrate various ways that are useful in a song. The Medley styles change instruments every 4 bars or 8 bars and some change instruments by part marker.

The good news for you is you can interchange instruments manually when and where you decide. Silence is even included as a choice.

I have found the medley option on the drums track to be a bit tricky and of course audio is not included, as far as BIAB track generation is concerned but all the others, bass,piano,guitar, strings, melody and soloist are there for use.

There are other discussions about this feature that go more in depth you may want to read. But this feature gives you the opportunity to have 50-60 or more instrument changes throughout a normal BIAB song project.

Look for threads titled "How many tracks..."; "Tricks of the trade"; "(Solved) Move Audio..." in the Recording Forum and for "Multitracks" in the Beginners Forum for a more in depth discussion and illustrations of this feature.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (12/18/17 04:18 AM)

#445782 - 12/18/17 04:22 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Changes to specific RTs not possible using F5? [Re: sixchannel]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Ian,

Have you tried using the "Rests, Shots, Holds" option for setting the chords for 1-9? That might do what you want.

In the below example, I loaded in the demo for _POPCALY.STY. Since the #1173 (Accordion) is on the Piano track (I've used static names for the tracks), then I simply use "..." to hold the chord and exclude all other tracks (bdgs = bass, drums, guitar, strings) from the hold. These settings can also be set using ALT+F5.

• In my example, bars 1-8 have the accordion held while other tracks play normally and from bar 9 on, all tracks play normally.

here's a link the example SGU file

Below is an image of what my chordsheet looks like.

Attachments
sixchannel - setting held and exclusions.jpg

#445797 - 12/18/17 06:34 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Changes to specific RTs not possible using F5? [Re: sixchannel]
sixchannel Offline
Expert

Hi Charlie and Noel

I'm going to look more into Charlie's info about Medley. Thank you for the info.

Noel, thats exactly the Style I am using.
Thanks for the example. I use the Shots / Rests / Holds etc quite a lot in other things but that is not what is needed in this case. The 1173 Accordion RT has options for "Bluesy" and "Held". The HOLD in this case isnt holding as in Silence, its actually meant for playing whole chords only and not doing its normal thing of "extemporising". Thats not available via S/R/H.

However, the fact remains as far as I can tell- that F5 does NOT allow changes to the either the specific RT already selected in that slot OR to any new RT assigned to it, other than its basic set-up. Any RI options - Bluesys / Simpler / Direct Input / Held are NOT available via F5.

So, when I have the Accordion giving me lovely held chords for Bars 1 - 8 and now want to change its Feel (sub-style) at Bar 9 by deleting the Tick in "Held" so that it now plays in its normal fashion and plays infills and all sorts of goodies, I cannot do that other than add it again to (say) the Melody track and F5 "mute" 1 - 8 and F5 "return to normal" Bars 9 onwards. I hope that you follow that.

Do you think this is one for the WishList or the Support guys - maybe they have never thought about it. Its seems odd that all this IS available for Real Drums via F5 (changing sub-styles etc etc) but NOT for the Real Tracks.
Ian

BB2018Plus,512,RB5,Cakewalk GTPro2(2003),Adobe Audition1.5(2003),WindowsXPPro and Win7

#445810 - 12/18/17 07:16 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Changes to specific RTs not possible using F5? [Re: sixchannel]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
The HOLD in this case isnt holding as in Silence, its actually meant for playing whole chords only and not doing its normal thing of "extemporising". Thats not available via S/R/H.

Ian,

It works for me.

When I created the example SGU in my previous post and regenerated it, the holds did exactly what you describe. They play a single whole-note chord for the bar. I solo'd the accordion to make sure that it was consistent throughout the section.

Then when the chords moved to regular chords, additional melodic movement occurred in the accordion.

I'm surprised that this doesn't work on your system like this. Maybe it's because of settings that you have added to the accordion track in Realtrack Picker or using F5. (I have no settings selected.)

Regards,
Noel

#445826 - 12/18/17 08:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Changes to specific RTs not possible using F5? [Re: sixchannel]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
<<< I have the Accordion giving me lovely held chords for Bars 1 - 8 and now want to change its Feel (sub-style) at Bar 9 by deleting the Tick in "Held" so that it now plays in its normal fashion and plays infills and all sorts of goodies >>>

sixchannel, rather than select 'hold' option in the stylepicker, input the 1173 Accordion chart for Bars 1-8 the same as Noel96 has on his sgu file.

The chord followed by the three dots while leaving the accordion (on the static Piano Track) out of the chord entry causes the 1173 Accordion to play the chord once and hold, repeat on bars 2-8 and when the holds are released on Bar 9, The 1173 plays normally.

IE: Input D...bdgs ; and not D...pbdgs Omitting the P plays that bar's chord as{ -D -Accordion Hold}while the other tracks play normally and are excluded from the hold.

If I select the 1173 and check the hold option int the RealTrack Picker, the Accordion continues to hold at Bar 9 forward just as you say occurs with your chart. Bar 9 releases the hold in Noel96's sgu chart.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (12/18/17 08:45 AM)

#445866 - 12/18/17 01:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Changes to specific RTs not possible using F5?SOLVED [Re: sixchannel]
sixchannel Offline
Expert

Thanks Noel and Charlie - I finally got the result I was after. It does actually work just like you said. I did go back to the original RT main page for 1173 and uncheck the "Held" first though. Dont know IF it would have made a difference but now I can press on with the rest of the tune.
Grateful thanks and Merry Christmas
Ian

Edited by sixchannel (12/18/17 01:28 PM)

PG Music News
User Tip - Slowing Down and Looping Audio in Band-in-a-Box®

Forum user DeaconBlues09 created a video tutorial to help answer a fellow forum user's question:
Using the Audio Chord Wizard to tempo map, slow down, and learn the notes of an audio track - video link http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=R09Lf3bHjhQ

Forum thread: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=467504

Thanks for sharing!

#TBT - Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows Ear Training Fun!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows we added two great games for ear training: Pitch Invasion and Music Replay!

Pitch Invasion helps to develop perfect pitch as you shoot down "alien" notes invading from above (you hear the note sound, and click on the on-screen piano/MIDI or QWERTY keyboard to shoot them down).

Music Replay develops your pitch, rhythm, and melody recognition by replaying what the program plays, in note, rhythm, or melodic modes.

These games can still be accessed with newer versions of the program - in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 you'll find these by accessing the Practice Window or Ear Training Window, both located in the Window drop-down menu. The Practice Window can also be accessed using the Practice button within the main Band-in-a-Box screen (don't see it? CTRL+T to change the view).

Learn all about the features released with Version 2006 here.

Video: Exporting Audio Files in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Our latest video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - Exporting Audio Files Tutorial walks you through the different options to export your Band-in-a-Box® songs and song tracks from Band-in-a-Box® as an audio file (WAV, MP3, etc.)!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_Px958TmzhA

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 516 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows customer can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#516

Summary of changes:
Improved: More RealTracks have HiQ transcriptions. Fixed Bass AmericanaSlow16thsByron bad chords.
Improved: The Audio Drivers dialog for WAS devices now shows Bit Depth in the device description.
Improved: WAS audio driver performance has been Improved when using 44.1 kHz sample rate.
Improved: Windows Audio Session error messages contain more specific information.
Updated: Misc. updates to StylePicker database, memos, manuals, help files.
Fixed: "BBW.LST not found" errors when using the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: "mono" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: "normalize individual tracks" was only working for MIDI tracks.
Fixed: "One file per track" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: Access violation on bootup if using a Roland audio interface (ASIO) that is not connected.
Fixed: Adjusting Melody or Soloist tracks to fit a new number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: An access violation error might occur in the RealTracks Picker if quickly scrolling and double-clicking to hear demos.
Fixed: Changing a track name using the StylePicker mixer controls might open a hidden popup window.
Fixed: Changing the number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: Clicking on the far left of the Guitar window would cause a "!!!!!" flash message to show.
Fixed: If adjusting the number of choruses in your song, choosing Cancel is ignored when asked, "OK to adjust Melody track to fit new # of choruses?".
Fixed: JazzBebopDannyBrushes sometimes out of sync.
Fixed: Panning the audio track did not work.
Fixed: Some Amplitube presets/styles/demos pointed to a preset which wasn't available in some installs.
Fixed: Some typos and omissions in RealDrums Picker.
Fixed: The [.STY] button in the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: The [Get Patch/Drum Kit Info] button in the MIDI drivers dialog would not find the synthesizer documentation.
Fixed: The About dialog was not showing the Fretlight Ready logo.
Fixed: The Audio Chord Wizard would always run in English.
Fixed: The busy mouse cursor might remain after analyzing audio with the Audio Chord Wizard.
Fixed: The PDF driver installer could not be launched from Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: The Plugins window would be too small when using plugins that have a small GUI.
Fixed: Using a Coyote DXi synthesizer (eg CoyoteWT or ForteDXi) might cause crackling/buzzing noise during playback.
Fixed: Using a multi speaker layout (eg. 4 speakers surround sound) instead of stereo might cause failure to connect to audio hardware with error -9996. This only happened when using WAS as audio driver type.
Fixed: Video rendering would fail if saved using Japanese characters in file name.
Fixed: When saving a Hybrid style for the first time, the File Save dialog should start in the Styles directory.

PG Music Inc. Newsletter - Stay In-the-Loop!

Want to be notified when a new version of Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, or other PG Music Inc. products are released? Sign up for the newsletter at http://www.pgmusic.com/newsletter.htm.

If you purchased Band-in-a-Box® (or any other PG Music Inc. product) directly from us, you're already on the list!

Of course, we also announce new releases and specials on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pgmusicinc/), Twitter account (https://twitter.com/BandinaBox), and right here in our Forums!

Amazing Band-in-a-Box User Comments!

Great program with lots of support through the publisher and after-market. Use it for teaching, practicing, and gigging.
-Andrew L.

I just got my 6th film placement on a song recorded entirely in Band-in-a-Box. You guys rock!
-Terry Fernihough (Band-in-a-Box Endorsing Artist!)

I love this program. I have only had it for around a month but it has made things a lot easier for me. I no longer have to scour the internet for backing tracks. I just plug in the chords I want to use, find the style I want and done. Saving me so much time and being able to transpose into different keys is awesome too.
As the days go on I will be delving deeper into what it can do, importing some of my backing tracks into Abelton 9 to play with and writing some songs.
Best money I have spent on something in while.
-Peter S.

I started using Band-in-a-Box around 1990. It was the DOS version naturally and I used one of those old portable computers with dual floppy drives and a built in 9" monochrome display. I connected midi cables to a great sounding Yamaha keyboard and played my music using midi tracks. I did a demo for a university music class that was a lot of fun. Wow, it is almost unimaginable to see where this product has elevated to today. I have upgraded many times over the past 28 years but each time I am even more amazed. Thank you PG Music for being such a major part of my love for music all of these years!!!
-Dwayne G.

Incredible Software. Great for ignorance and experts and for anyone who wants to deal with music. If you do not have a hobby and want to have one "band in a box" is the best choice. Simple, but if you want to be an expert on it, you need to make an effort to master it perfectly for perfect use. The only disadvantage is if you do not want to become a musician, and use it, you will become a perfect musician. Therefore, be cautious. It's not a toy.
-Ilija B.

I’ve been using it for about the same time (20 years). I’m a trumpet player and just really want some backing on lead sheets. With the Real Styles - it sounds fantastic! Takes just minutes to input chord changes and find the right style. There is so much you can do and I love having the Soloist features to really add color.
-Mike B.

Read even more great feedback here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Danish Edition for Windows® is Here!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=win&lang=da

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 til Windows er klar!

Vi har haft travlt, og har tilføjet mere end 50 nye funktioner og en fantastisk samling af nyt indhold, bl. a. RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Loops, Artist Performances, Amplitube presets og dertil hørende stilarter, 12-tonearter RealTracks og Hi-Q Guitar Notation! Vi har tilføjet 202 nye RealTracks, hvilket er det dobbelte af de 101, vi ofte tidligere har udgivet! Vi introducerer Video RealTracks (40 i genrerne Country, Pop, and Jazz), som fungerer helt som RealTracks, men også har videoer af musikerne, mens de spiller! Vi har også lavet en ny Xtra Styles PAK 4 med 160 nye Xtra Stilarters. (Xtra stilarter er stilarter baseret på tidligere udgivne RealTracks). Der er mere end 200 nye RealStyles baseret på vores nye RealTracks bl.a. Americana, Klezmer, Top-40, Jazz stryger pads, Vokal (ooh og aah), Ny Crooner "Shout" BigBand stilart og meget mere! Vi har en Bonus 49-PAK med 40 ekstra ikke tidligere udgivne RealTracks foruden de 202 ovenfor nævnte, så alt i alt er der 242 nye RealTracks til rådighed! Bonus 49-PAK indeholder også Video RealTracks sæt 1 og 2, 32 nye MIDI SuperTracks, 108 nye Instrumental Studies, 52 Loops og 8 Artist Performances.

Forum Stats
27389 Members
49 Forums
51154 Topics
422517 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Touré, lugolatino, paulbeuning, Victor Frankl, spooky67

27389 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 195
Ember - PG Music 154