You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#447067 - 12/24/17 12:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Amen
Islansoul Offline
Journeyman

Loc: St. Petersburg , FL

I think this just reiterates how much it is - high time that PG Music spend some developer resources to finally bite the bullet and consolidate their code-base to be truly cross-platform - due to the many lacking features in the OSX version compared to Windows.

We OSX users are second-rate citizens. And yet the Mac is clearly the preferred operating system and computers used by most pro musicians and producers who use computers as their way of music creation or performance.

There is still some ugly PASCAL based bits of code and GUI going right back to the days of the ATARI ST. PG Music are just too unwilling to commit developer resources to remove it. Which would involve a rewrite of some code in a modern language.

And also the most pain-free, low latency and most supported platform audio-wise. Hence why even now in 2017 it is still a free - independently developed audio driver ASIO - and other bits of middleware that one is forced to use if one wants low latency with ones DAW on Windows - even Windoze 10.

I cannot think of another music software company that has a constant release-version disparity and long lag between the windows and OSX version.

The version numbers get a different release date - and yet EVEN when version numbers match for a few months - say 2017 - it is the case that feature sets don't match.

Shoddy.

Yet PG has been getting away with this for decades.
music producer/engineer

#447086 - 12/24/17 01:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Amen [Re: Islansoul]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
We OSX users are second-rate citizens.
Firstly, I doubt that there would be many users here who think that OSX users are second-rate citizens.

Quote:
...and other bits of middleware that one is forced to use if one wants low latency with ones DAW on Windows - even Windoze 10.

Secondly, actually it's completely your choice that you don't want to run the latest version.

You can. On your Macintosh.

Just add parallels or bootcamp.

But you probably don't want to do that, and would prefer to use derogatory terms when referring to other operating systems. That doesn't help, actually.

Your choice. It is possible. You do actually have a choice.

Quote:
There is still some ugly PASCAL based bits of code and GUI going right back to the days of the ATARI ST. PG Music are just too unwilling to commit developer resources to remove it. Which would involve a rewrite of some code in a modern language.
Thirdly, you are quite incorrect to blame the programming language on any appearance in the user interface. The choice of language has absolutely nothing to do with it.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#447108 - 12/24/17 04:33 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Amen [Re: Islansoul]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
One more tid-bit, PC is about 90% of the market and OSX about 10% of the market. Business is business, you cater to your biggest market first.

#447168 - 12/25/17 09:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Amen [Re: VideoTrack]
Islansoul Offline
Journeyman

Loc: St. Petersburg , FL
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Quote:
We OSX users are second-rate citizens.
Firstly, I doubt that there would be many users here who think that OSX users are second-rate citizens.

Quote:
...and other bits of middleware that one is forced to use if one wants low latency with ones DAW on Windows - even Windoze 10.

Secondly, actually it's completely your choice that you don't want to run the latest version.

You can. On your Macintosh.

Just add parallels or bootcamp.

But you probably don't want to do that, and would prefer to use derogatory terms when referring to other operating systems. That doesn't help, actually.

Your choice. It is possible. You do actually have a choice.

Quote:
Thirdly, you are quite incorrect to blame the programming language on any appearance in the user interface. The choice of language has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Ok, I am sorry for posting this. I know I could use bootcamp and get BIAB 2018, but if I do that then my Mac would act as a PC, and anything that would happen to it would mess up my Mac. I also wish you could test out the Mac version of BIAB 2017 and see for yourself.

I know I go on here and rant so much about Windows users getting the better features that the Mac users don't, but I would just like to see both Mac and Windows users be equal. That is all I'm asking for.

P.S. I am quoting another users post.
music producer/engineer

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Build 263 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Mac users can download the latest free patch update, Build 263, here.

Summary of changes for Version 2018 Build 263 (July 20, 2018):
Added: Help Video button added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Added: Menu items added for opening an entire Karaoke file.
Added: Menu items added for opening an entire MIDI file.
Added: Support added for features that some newer styles will require.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash or freeze when using adding UserTracks and pressing Play.
Fixed: Bar lines would not display properly in the Audio Edit window if launching through the menu item "Audio Chord Wizard (Audio Edit)".
Fixed: 'Multi' and 'Medley' RealTracks were not displaying proper track titles.
Fixed: Playback might cause a crash after editing multi-drums.
Fixed: Some AU plugins might cause a crash during playback.
Fixed: The 'A number is out of range' error message should mention the number that the user entered for clarity.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Ghost button in the Piano Roll window could not be disabled.
Fixed: The Notation Window would not redraw properly after exiting the Import Chords dialog.
Fixed: The Preferences 2 dialog might not exit using [OK] without an 'A number is out of range' error message.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Improved: XML improvements.

Video - Unboxing Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is currently only available in English, but that didn't stop this Danish company, www.guitaren.dk/, from creating an unboxing video!

Video - Unboxing af Band In A Box 2018 Mac version

They love that Band-in-a-Box® is so portable when you order the UltraPAK pre-installed on a hard drive!
(...and so do we!!!)

YouTube Find - How I Learned To Play Guitar Without YouTube And NO GUITAR TEACHER

EricBlackmonGuitar recently posted a great video (using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks...) called How I Learned To Play Guitar Without YouTube And NO GUITAR TEACHER - check it out! Click here to watch...

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Resource - Individual New Features Videos

The December release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows added 50+ new features and enhancements, Video RealTracks, 202 new RealTracks, and more!

Here is a summary of the videos created to highlight the new additions and features:
(click on the title to play the video)

- Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!
- Complete New Features Video
- 2018 Audio Chord Wizard
- Vocal Oohs and Aahs
- Video RealTracks
- 202 NEW RealTracks
- 40 Bonus RealTracks in the 2018 49-PAK

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 520 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows users can download the latest free patch update, Build 250, here.

Summary of changes for Build 520 since 519 (July 17 2018):
Added: Save As style feature has support for MIDI velocity changes if volumes aren’t 90 on mixer when saved.
Added: Support for MIDI velocity changes in styles. Use the Misc-More dialog in StyleMaker to set velocity changes in MIDI styles.
Fixed: [Style Memos etc] button was not visible in the Style Editor -> Misc dialog.
Fixed: Bar lines would not display properly in the Audio Edit window if launching through the menu item "Audio Chord Wizard (Audio Edit)".
Fixed: Hitting the Return key while in the Audio Edit window might trigger Loop Screen mode.
Updated: PDF Manual and Help.

User Blog - Recording and Processing Vocals Using RealBand...

Joanne Cooper's latest blog post is a "start to finish" of how she records and processes vocals for her songs using her three "go-to" programs: RealBand, Melodyne, and Nectar from Izotope (with a little help from Band-in-a-Box...)!

Check out this blog post here.

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Forum Stats
27728 Members
50 Forums
52663 Topics
436608 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Arfkonk, DOM54, Ernesto18, rz68, CD in SB

27727 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 168
Al-David 158