You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#447589 - 12/28/17 05:40 AM [Beginners Forum] How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1?
WendyM Offline
Apprentice

Loc: UK
Hi folks.Hope you all had a happy Christmas.We have despite the snow and icewhich is keeping us in.So I'm working up an SGU,tempo 120 4/4 Even8 Style is RESOLVE.So far so good except I need to start the tune with a quarter bar drumfill.Like many songs we can all think of probably.Ive set the intro to be 1-2-123- so the last quarter is free andput a blue marker in Bar1.But it doesnt play anything prior to Bar1 just kicks right in at Bar1 without the pre-Bar1 fill I asked for with the blue marker.Is there a set procedure to get Bar minus1 (?)last quarter to play a quarter fill or is that not possible in BB?
Wendy

#447591 - 12/28/17 05:57 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: WendyM]
Kev T Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Durham, UK
Hi Wendy.

Being somewhat a novice in BIAB/RB (but more experienced in DAWS) I have often done what you're suggesting by loading the BIAB track into RB and finding a suitable drum fill in the Drums section (Track view) and copy/paste the fill to the beginning of the Drum track (result: Count In > Fill > Intro

Forum members with more BIAB experience may well be able to provide a solution within BIAB only but I've had plenty of success doing what you require in RB. I usually move into RB anyway once I've got my basics in BB.

Best wishes to you for New Year.
BIAB 2018 (509) Ultra Plus (ext HD), 49PAK, PAK1,2 & 3, Win 7 64bit PC, REAPER, Ozone, Adobe Audition CS6, EZ Drummer2 + EZ Keys, Behringer x32 Compact desk, Focusrite 18i/20, SE Gemini/Rode NT2/Shure mics

#447613 - 12/28/17 07:22 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: WendyM]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Wendy,

A couple of thoughts spring to mind...

1. Under "Options | Preferences | Count-in" it's possible to set the bar immediately before bar 1 to be a fill-in (it's under the "Lead in type" dropdown menu).

2. Begin your song proper at bar 2
  • set bar 2 to an 'a' or 'b' part marker
  • put the first chord in bar 1 as a 'rest all instruments' chord (e.g. C. - where the dot after C indicates 'rest all instruments'
  • enter a chord on beat 4 and rest all instruments except drums (e.g. click on beat 3 and type ",C.d" - without quotation marks)

The final result would look something like the image below.

Regards,
Noel

Attachments
drum break on beat 4 intro.JPG

#447614 - 12/28/17 07:31 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: WendyM]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I use method #2 in Noel’s post. Just remember to change the number for Bar for Beginning of Chorus from 1 to 2 if you want to repeat from the top of the song.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#447645 - 12/28/17 09:36 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: WendyM]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
While the above works, what you'll get is your click click count in, and then 3-beats of silence before you hear the fill on beat 4.

So another thing you can try. If you turn off the count-in (which unfortunately is still a global, not song specific setting - maybe one day), then use the first two bars of your song to be a new count in and your song will start on bar 3 (and as Matt said, make bar three the first bar of the chorus).

Then in bars 1 and 2, mute all the instruments except the drums (you can use the F5 key to do that). For bar 1, enter "| C.. C.. |" and in bar 2 enter "| C..,C.. C..,C.d |". Then unmute all the instruments in bar 3 using F5. Basically, it's just playing drum shots on beats 1 and 3 of the first bar, then drum shots on beats 1, 2, and 3 of the second bar with a drum fill on beat 4.

That should give you your click in, with the drum fill on beat 4. I'm not at my music machine right now to actually try it, but I believe this should work.

Don't forget to turn count-in back on for your next song.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#447655 - 12/28/17 09:55 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: WendyM]
WendyM Offline
Apprentice

Thanks guys.A rought test shows it all works,thank you so much BUT it shoves my underlying Audio out of sink. How can i drag it back in line with my BB?

#447676 - 12/28/17 12:30 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: WendyM]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Wendy,

You could use "Audio | Edit Audio | Time shift in ms".

To work out how many milliseconds (ms) to time shift the audio, follow the following example.

Let's say that you've inserted 1 bar of 4 quarter note beats (i.e. 4/4 time sig) at a tempo of 113 bpm.

To find out how long 1 quarter note is in milliseconds, divide the tempo into 60,000. (Since 60,000 ms = 1 minute and the tempo is in beats per minute.)

So if the tempo was (say) 113 bpm, then 1 quarter note will have a length of 60,000/113 = 531 ms.

Since the time signature is 4/4 then 4 quarter notes must take a time of 4 x 531 = 2124 ms

Now if you edit the audio and time shift by 2124 ms, the audio will align.

Formula:

(60,000/tempo) x (beats per bar) = length of bar in milliseconds

Hope this helps,
Noel

#447690 - 12/28/17 01:14 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: Noel96]
WendyM Offline
Apprentice

Noel,I havent got enough fingers and toes for that.I failed Maths-but Im great at French.lol.Im going to cheat and send the track wavs to my DAW and do it there.Thanks.Wendy

#447749 - 12/28/17 07:07 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: WendyM]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Wendy,

I'd love to be able to speak French. As it is, though, that's something that I can only dream about.

In case you want to try shifting the audio in milliseconds, just to play around with a feature of BIAB, the below link will download a little spreadsheet that will automatically do the calculation for you.

All you need do is to enter: (a) the tempo; (b) the number of beats per bar. The length of a bar should then be automatically calculated.

Calculate milliseconds for one bar (spreadsheet calculator)

Regards,
Noel

#447791 - 12/29/17 04:03 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: WendyM]
WendyM Offline
Apprentice

Hi Noel,thats down to my French/English parents.
I'll tinker with that when we get home after the break.This SGU is oven ready now and itll go on my DAw in Jan.Have a lovely New Years celebraton.You get yours half a day before us.Love seeing the Sydney bridge fireworks.
2017 has been great for me with my new toy BB and the 2018 looks even better.New year's resolution-not to jump in and ask numb questions when i shold do some troubleshooting first.all the best.Wendy

Edited by WendyM (12/29/17 04:05 AM)

#447817 - 12/29/17 07:22 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: WendyM]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Thinking back on your questions, in my opinion they have all been reasonable.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#447919 - 12/29/17 03:28 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: How to put a drum fill BEFORE Bar1? [Re: Noel96]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
(self promotion)
I built an online tool for this type of math.

It calculates tempo/milliseconds/ticks/time in different ways for different needs.
All ya need is a browser.

http://tools.masteringmatters.com/

If you have ideas for other things to add I'll be happy to try.
I thought it was a pretty cool idea and would like to have an idea what kinds of math/calculator stuff other people that record audio would want. I've just added things to it as I found weird math calculations that I thought I may need later.

It's not pretty, but it's pretty handy and it works. If someone wants to 'pretty' it, that would be great.
I am a programmer, NOT a designer .. been told that many times in recent years (grin).

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Here are some tutorial videos we've created to help you install your Band-in-a-Box® purchase.

Our Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, and PlusPAK are delivered as a download, on DVD, or on a 32GB USB flash drive.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from DVD: click here to watch.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the 32GB flash drive: click here to watch.
Your flash drive shipment also includes a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

The Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK is available as a download or shipped on a portable hard drive. When you receive the hard drive version, there are a few different installation options:

Option #1 - Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to watch.

Option #2 - Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks and RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to watch.

Option #3 - Install Band-in-a-Box® AND RealTracks on your computer hard drive: click here to watch.

All of these videos are available on our YouTube Channel or Videos support page.

Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Forum Stats
27633 Members
50 Forums
52274 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
LeftyMark, War Eagle, reaper19, Waaree, Eridanus

27633 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 180