You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#448502 - 01/01/18 05:25 PM [Off-Topic] Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 (Article Link)
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
I know this forum has some folks that are very computer literate. I thought you might enjoy +++ this article +++ about testing latency of computers ranging from 1977 to 2017.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#448505 - 01/01/18 05:48 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 [Re: Jim Fogle]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Thanks Jim! I had no idea that was the case on the older Apple 2E machines.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#448511 - 01/01/18 06:20 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 [Re: Jim Fogle]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

I remember my 8088 that ran MS-DOS 3.0 from 5 inch floppy discs and you could press the A key, go upstairs, jump in the car, go get an oil change, stop by the drive through and get 2 burgers, and got home you could eat your lunch and just as you started your second burger the A popped up on the screen! 6 inch amber monochrome monitor, 300 baud dial up modem. Then I bought a Lear-Seigler terminal that had the keyboard and a green CRT tube in a case like what Apple did later. Been quite a journey from there to now with an Inter i7 with 64 gb of RAM, connecting to a wireless modem on another floor to a 10mb down internet connection.... Steve do you remember the internet when it was all text? Man, when I discovered how to telnet to other systems, man that was like the Red Sea parting. I got into ALL kinds of trouble with that. Wrote a dialer program to disk every number in a prefix, and when it found a carrier write the number to a file. The old days!!

#448513 - 01/01/18 06:23 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 [Re: Jim Fogle]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
A lot of bigger IT businesses today are still using telnet to get files. I'm surprised at this with all the ways to get data.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#448516 - 01/01/18 06:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 [Re: Jim Fogle]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Great article Jim. Enjoyed the read. Some interesting data there, for sure.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#448552 - 01/02/18 12:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 [Re: VideoTrack]
Teunis Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Machines did a lot less to achieve similar. When I first started working in Comms we had 115 baud running teleprinters my last major install had 10 gig to distribution points and some devices with 100 gig in the machine room.

When our first 10 meg hard drive went into a pc we wondered what would need that much space. Times change.

Edited by Teunis (01/02/18 12:45 AM)

#448685 - 01/02/18 05:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Computer Latency 1977 Versus 2017 [Re: sslechta]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Originally Posted By: sslechta
A lot of bigger IT businesses today are still using telnet to get files. I'm surprised at this with all the ways to get data.

Sigh .. I still have to update one production router using Telnet
I hope it dies soon, so it gets replaced.
1000+ lines of text to sift thru to update a router .. painful.
But it does require multiple security levels along the way

/All I want to do is open a backdoor port for my IP so I can get in from home if needed. <grin>

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Forum Stats
28070 Members
57 Forums
54421 Topics
449948 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ugtk, helenmai, chuckster55, KeithR, Andreu Casado

28070 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 168
David Snyder 151