You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#433245 - 10/13/17 06:03 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Generate Smooth Solo endings in BIAB
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Sometimes Solos in BIAB end abruptly and cutoff too soon. Here's a tip to convince your soloist to a smooth ending.

'TRICK' your soloist into a smooth ending this way.....

Select your soloist track and bar for the solo to start normally.

Allow your soloist to play the bars you want to hear the solo.If the solo ends abruptly or is cut off, do the following.

At the next bar beyond the end of the solo, and on the same track as the soloist instrument is playing, open Bar Settings (F5) and near the top of the Bar Settings window, select ReatTracks Button. From the RealStyle you are using, select a rhythm instrument. (It can be any instrument, but Rhythm is the safest to use and not have a glitch in my experience. )

For instance, in _FOLKRKG.STY Folk-Pop 12 string with electric guitar, the 12 string rhythm number is 896.

So when you select the next bar after the solo ending and open the RealTrack Button, in the filter box, select 896 and place it on the same track as the soloist instrument.

This replaces the soloist instrument with the rhythm instrument. Because two instruments are sharing the same track, when you generate your solo, BIAB will read ahead on the chord chart and will anticipate the RealTracks change and your soloist will be a good player and smoothly end his solo to make room for the new instrument.

Mute the track at the bar after the solo ending and regenerate. Your soloist should play smoothly from start to finish. I normally mute the track at this bar but on occasion find it is better to allow this bar to play out. This is why I choose to duplicate a rhythm instrument. On these occasions, the soloist track and the duplicate rhythm track play the bar with the same rhythm instrument simultaneously and it's unnoticeable. If necessary, you can do a gain change on this bar to reduced the rhythm instrument playing to make certain it's unnoticeable. Restore the volume in the next bar.

If your soloist will be doing another solo or doing fills, you simply select the bar you want to have the soloist to return, unmute and in the Bar Settings, select the RealTracks Button and Replace the Rhythm instrument with your soloist instrument.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (10/14/17 05:50 AM)

#433314 - 10/13/17 04:08 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Generate Smooth Solo endings in BIAB [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Charlie,

That's an outstanding idea. I've never thought of doing it like this but it makes a lot of sense.

Thank you!
Noel

#434133 - 10/18/17 10:10 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Generate Smooth Solo endings in BIAB [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Thanks, Charlie. Will have to try that real soon.

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#449380 - 01/05/18 05:32 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Generate Smooth Solo endings in BIAB [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Warren Keller Offline
Apprentice

Loc: West Virginia
Great Charlie, it works! Mike Moreno's jazz electric guitar solos just wouldn't end smoothly, or w/o a noticeable click, but your method did the 'trick' as always. Thank you!

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist, Writer, Singer

"I have my ship and all her flags are a-flyin'
She is all that I have left and music is her name"

#449800 - 01/07/18 03:01 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Generate Smooth Solo endings in BIAB [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

I'm glad several of you have found this useful. Since this posting, I also learned you can select 'silence' as an change also. So far, it has also been a stable option to create a nice ending to a solo.

#450558 - 01/11/18 06:01 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Generate Smooth Solo endings in BIAB [Re: Charlie Fogle]
w Offline
Expert

Loc: somewhere in outer space
Hope I am not off the topic and excuse me for butting in with my posting.

This is the way i more than often do it...

( i used the " demo " from the example quoted above _FOLKRKG.STY Folk-Pop 12 string with electric guitar, the 12 string rhythm number is 896 for the purposes to show how i do it )

Attachments
SShot 2018-01-11 at 6.49.04 PM.png

SShot 2018-01-11 at 6.49.27 PM.png

SShot 2018-01-11 at 6.58.35 PM.png

variety of acoustic instruments
SC : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

#451030 - 01/14/18 03:14 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Generate Smooth Solo endings in BIAB [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

That's a good method as well. I'll give it a try. Thanks for posting.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Users LOVE Xtra Styles PAK 5!

We're excited to offer Xtra Styles PAK 5, with over 160 fully-mixed styles, including 35 new MIDI Styles... LOOK MA - ALL MIDI!

But, we're not the only ones in love with Xtra Styles PAK 5 - here's what you're saying:
"Wow! That's quite a collection!"
"I love the quality sound and variety i have to work with!"
"Really appreciate all the new MIDI styles!"
"These have already helped my rhythm and intonation and given new life to my practice. And it is SO MUCH FUN."
"Simply awesome. Thanks, everyone at PG!"
"A great new PAK indeed!"
"Great new collection here!"
"I love the quality sound and variety i have to work with!"
"Way to go, PG Music!"
"Oh, they've made ALL-MIDI styles!!!"
"Best move I've ever made!"
"These new RealStyles are amazingly creative!"
"Outstanding!"
"Oh! Goody!!"

Save 40% when you purchase Xtra Styles PAK 5 for just $29 (reg. $49) during our special, which ends August 31st!
Click here to learn more, listen to demos, or order today!

Then, don't forget to enter your song, created using these new Styles, in our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest for your chance to win $150 PG Bucks!

Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Forum Stats
27839 Members
57 Forums
53178 Topics
440754 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Guitarrocks, helmut_K, Jerome1968, jfrances, LatinoMike

27838 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 139
Al-David 130