Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#453113 - 01/23/18 08:26 AM [User Showcase] Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration)
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA

Maria Blue
Video: All images from the actual aftermath of Maria in Puerto Rico

SoundClound Audio

Months after Hurricane Maria 675,000 Puerto Ricans are still without power. Kudos to the first responders, military men and women and charitable organizations for their service in Puerto Rico that often required them putting themselves in harm’s way. However, for many still suffering long after the storm it’s easy to understand their frustration and this song attempts to address their continuing plight.

So…we’re late to the party but J&B finally gets into the “beats thing. ” But, hey, we did provide them ourselves with Janice on cajon and the two of us throwing in some handclaps.

Special thanks to floyd for joining in for the write and for the fine harmony (singing above that girl he is!)

Janice: lead vocal, melody, arrangement and percussion (cajon)
floyd: harmony, lyrics, arrangement and mix counsel
bud: lead vocal recording, arrangement, lyrics, mix, mastering and video stuff

RT 2482:Bass, Acoustic, Bowed Held Ev 085
RT 2213:Bouzouki, Rhythm SlowPop Ev16 065
RT 2213:Bouzouki, Rhythm SlowPop Ev16 065 - held chords
RT 1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RT 1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065 - held chords
RT 679:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockBritDriving Ev 085 (B:heavy)
RT 679:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockBritDriving Ev 085 (B:heavy) - held chords
RT 2687: Guitar, Electric, Soloist BluesSlowEvenBrentSimple Ev 085
Cajon: three tracks - mic on sound hole and another ambient mic / “kick” sound isolated for separate processing
handclaps: four tracks

Track effects: Waves Bass Rider / Nectar 2 / Neutron 2 / Logic Pro Guitar Amp Sim / Ozone 8 modules / delay and reverb from Nectar 2 modules
Mastering: Ozone 8 Adv

Thanks, Peter for those three notes smile

Maria Blue
© 2018 j. merritt / f. jane / b. merritt

Intro singing:

mama used to sing maria
about a girl so lovely
but now mama’s gone
and maria has turned ugly

V1

the wind howled all through the night
morning came i knew my life was gone
water was rising and trees were falling
better off had i never seen that dawn

Ch

oh Mother Nature won’t you tell me
why did you send that storm
was it only to make me wish
wish that i’d never been born?

V2

we wade through streets... turned to rivers
hungry babies, ever crying
medicine gone, a thirst none should know
old man prays "Lord, I'm dyin'"

Ch

V3

we live in tents and cardboard huts
children drink from dirty puddles
seems the big folks forgot about us
all wrapped up in their own troubles

Ch

Outro
J&B Website

#453128 - 01/23/18 09:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yeah! I knew I was going to like this before I even pressed play smile

Something a little different from you two! Nice groove on this one, the Cajon and handclaps work well IMHO.

Janice sounds wonderful, and I dig the harmonies from Floyd.

Off to watch the video now!

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: No One Knows

#453142 - 01/23/18 09:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Janice / Bud / Floyd,

This is an absolutely astounding piece of work... It completely captures the despair and overall feeling of helplessness - it never loses that reality throughout the song. Amazing focus.

I can't say enough about Janice and her vocal gifts - she always reminds me of a more cosmopolitan version of Gillian Welch. A tremendous performance.

Killer production and write as well - I'm not sure it could get any better.

Bob

#453153 - 01/23/18 09:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah! I knew I was going to like this before I even pressed play smile

Something a little different from you two! Nice groove on this one, the Cajon and handclaps work well IMHO.

Janice sounds wonderful, and I dig the harmonies from Floyd.

Off to watch the video now!

Thank you Dave. At times venturing out from the music home base is a bit like stepping of a cliff...

We are glad it worked for you!

Really love your latest.

J&B
J&B Website

#453155 - 01/23/18 09:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
sslechta Online   content
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Nice collab guys! Sounds like you guys are getting better at working together. Loved this on all sides.

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win10, Dell Precision T5400, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 32 GB Memory, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface

#453162 - 01/23/18 09:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: rsdean]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Bud / Floyd,

This is an absolutely astounding piece of work... It completely captures the despair and overall feeling of helplessness - it never loses that reality throughout the song. Amazing focus.

I can't say enough about Janice and her vocal gifts - she always reminds me of a more cosmopolitan version of Gillian Welch. A tremendous performance.

Killer production and write as well - I'm not sure it could get any better.

Bob

Thank you Bob. Your description is just what we were working for...so that means a lot to us. And thank you for mentioning both the vocal and production. Janice is very appreciative of your comment about her vocal. We have been Gillian Welch fans since her first album. Janice says it's humbling to be mentioned in the same sentence!

J&B
J&B Website

#453163 - 01/23/18 09:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
What a great effort!!! Wonderful song and production! What a great tragedy that is. So many terrible storms that I can't keep the names straight anymore. And now in California, we have 20 or more dead from flash floods and mud slides. Mother nature can be brutal. Great job by all you guys!! Take care. Greg

#453171 - 01/23/18 10:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Samuel Davis Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Florida
Wow. Powerful lyrics that realy convey images of the storm and aftermath. Great production and beautiful vocals.

www.sammycountry.com

#453176 - 01/23/18 10:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi J&B,

Simply stunning.

The lyrics would be good anyway, but Janice's incredible vocal delivery
wrings every ounce of emotion out of them, leaving the listener completely
immersed in the futility of it all.

In addition to that, it's a fabulous backing track with a super mix.

And what about Floyd singing top register, in all senses of the word!

Congrats to all involved.

ROG.

#453186 - 01/23/18 11:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: sslechta]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sslechta
Nice collab guys! Sounds like you guys are getting better at working together. Loved this on all sides.

I hope so...we've been at it for quite a while!

Glad you liked it.

Hey, waiting on your Paradox!

J&B
J&B Website

#453192 - 01/23/18 11:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
sslechta Online   content
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Hey, waiting on your Paradox!

I know.... Vocals are a mess. Trying to finish.

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win10, Dell Precision T5400, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 32 GB Memory, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface

#453201 - 01/23/18 12:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
PeterF Offline
Expert

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice / Bud / Floyd,

I'm running out of superlatives. Stirring, brilliant, engaging, rousing....
The song sounds wonderful, the performances by all are world class. Great video, excellent percussion.
Superb song writing.

Peter

#453207 - 01/23/18 12:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand

A lovely comment on a tragic situation.
All very well done.
Great backing band.

Cheers.

#453210 - 01/23/18 12:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Nice collab.

Maria sure was a storm that they will never forget in PR. Nice work on the song and the video.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#453214 - 01/23/18 12:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Maria Blue (a floyd jane collaboration) [Re: Janice & Bud]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
FJB. That combination seems to work SO well. I'm not kidding when I say I feel like I could almost write the comment THEN listen to the song. There is a standard that I, and I'm sure others have come to expect. Great job!

Thank you or including the video. Many times I don't like the distraction of a video that takes you somewhere you wouldn't have gone just listening. In this case, it brought me to where I wouldn't have known to go. So again, thank you for including it.

I'm always amazed at every aspect of your songs. You can hear everything. The old "you could hear a pin drop"...if it was in there, you would manage to have it heard. The other side of that coin is, you would do it in a way that wouldn't distract or beat us over the head with. I can't do that! This is one jealous dude typing right now. wink

Great song, great video, great production, great performance. Ladies and gentlemen...FJB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonials!

Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Forum Stats
27152 Members
49 Forums
50354 Topics
413402 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
RmGx, GIBSON335, profesas, pilk, whalil

27152 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 249
Noel96 213