You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#455948 - 02/06/18 05:34 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Drums in the red
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Hi

I'm running through the styles (just realtracks, no midi) from the style picker with everything muted except the drums and bass. And various a b styles selected. Just really to get some ideas of bass and drum backing for possible FAWN songs. Is it just me that has every drum track in the red on the BIAB 2018 mixer? My volumes are all set at 90. Is this a false flag or will it be a problem? Does it mean it's distorting or not?
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#455956 - 02/06/18 06:18 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Drums in the red [Re: lambada]
fiddler2007 Offline
Journeyman

Usually one should leave a little headroom, when you mix tracks together to a stereo mix. The biab mixer has a scale from 0-127, that might translate to - 60 (or nothing) dBu to +12 dBu. IMO: I guess 90 is around 0 dBu, with a normalized RT or Drum audio file, so you'll have 12 dBu headroom maybe as volume playground. Can of worms here BTW ... -F

#456006 - 02/06/18 10:58 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Drums in the red [Re: lambada]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
floyd recently spoke about this. It might have been on his video that I saw it, I'm not sure.

The bottom line is that 'in the red' is less important in the world of digital than it was in world of analogue. If you don't hear any distortion, then there is nothing to worry about. Let your ears guide you.

If you are concerned, try adding PG Dynamics or PG Peaklimit to the drums track. Try experimenting. For example...

Put the same set of drums of two or three different tracks. Generate the tracks. Keep one track natural. To one of the other tracks add the PG Dynamics plugin and to the other track, add the PG Peaklimit plugin.

Now compare the tracks and ask yourself some questions such as...

How do the tracks compare with one another? What do you gain or lose by adding plugins when compared to the natural track? Does the natural track sound distorted?

Regards,
Noel

#456021 - 02/06/18 12:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Drums in the red [Re: lambada]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Yep this was in fact discussed somewhere up above....

red isn't a big issue. If you can't hear any issues it's fine.

edit: here>>> http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=451099&page=1

mostly on the second page

Edited by Guitarhacker (02/06/18 12:15 PM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#456086 - 02/06/18 06:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Drums in the red [Re: lambada]
joden Offline
Journeyman

look at the waveforms in a DAW and you'll find that most of the tracks that hit the red, have flattened waveform tops and bottoms, indicating there is indeed digital distortion.

What I do is bring the level down to nudging the yellow and then export the audio to DAW, where that headroom is VITAL!!

#456150 - 02/07/18 03:44 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Drums in the red [Re: lambada]
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Thanks all. It only started to appear in 2017. Whilst I can't hear any distortion, I do always take it down until the red disappears and then balance everything else against wherever the drums are, particularly as my recording flow is BIAB to Realband and then Reaper/Ozone etc.
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

PG Music News
RealTracks Artist Quinn Bachand - Hard at Work!

Check it out - this is happening NOW... Quinn Bachand's latest RealTracks recording session!

Image: http://www.pgmusic.com/gfx/Quinn_Session.jpeg

Listen to demos of Quinn's existing RealTracks at http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=61&os=win&sortby=name

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade for Mac

Did you know....

If you are currently using a Band-in-a-Box® 2017 UltraPlusPAK or EverythingPAK and are wanting to upgrade to the new version, with the 202 new RealTracks that were just released, the PlusPAK upgrade is a great option! This is available on DVD, flash drive, or electronic delivery - simply install the content to your existing 2017 BB folder! Add the 49-PAK to your purchase, and you'll complete the RealTracks library with the 40 BONUS unreleased RealTracks!

This package is on sale for just $99 during our special (reg. $129): http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.pluspak.htm.

Get to Know The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK for Mac

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac during our special and you will receive a Free Bonus PAK which includes Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, 10 MIDI SuperTracks, 7 Instrumental Studies, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated bonus Styles, and 52 Loops for Band-in-a-Box!

Take it a step further and add a 49-PAK to your purchase for only $49! Add the 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac purchase and you'll receive these GREAT Band-in-a-Box Add-ons:
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band
ALL 40 UNRELEASED Bonus RealTracks
22 MIDI SuperTracks
101 Instrumental Studies
Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

Get to Know The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK: Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac- 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Pro & MegaPAK RealCombos!

We've added MORE to the RealCombos included in the Pro & MegaPAK packages with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro includes 300 RealTracks instruments in over 100 bands - that's 100+ more than previous years - listen to them here.

There are now over 500 RealTracks in 300 Bands in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 MegaPAK! Take a look at all the RealTracks & RealDrums in the MegaPAK here.

To receive the new version with these new RealCombos, upgrade during our special for as little as $59! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm.

Get ALL the Regular RealTracks & RealDrums when you upgrade to an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition!

Title Track Day, May 23, 2018!

Did you know... today is Title Track Day!

Which album do you think of on this special day? Better yet, have you created your own album and named it after a song?

Join the converation...

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Forum Stats
27519 Members
50 Forums
51875 Topics
428661 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Dixiesatellite72, hhbailey, medblues, Terry V, The Captain

27519 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 360
Noel96 154