You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#456464 - 02/08/18 10:16 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] drumset mixer?
BIABDEX Offline

Hello,
I have Band in a Box 2017 pro.
Is there a mixer for the drum set only? So that I can make, for example, only the hi-hat louder or the rimshot or quieter the ride cymbal? Without having to change the whole style?
Or is there a plug-in? That's an important thing.
I am looking forward to answers.
Thanks.

#456480 - 02/08/18 11:40 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: BIABDEX]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
If you are using MIDI drums then you can adjust the velocity level for each instrument part like snare, kick, high-hat and so on. There is also some MIDI tools that can automate changing velocity.

RealDrums originate from a stereo audio file so you do not have access to the individual instruments. However with clever use of equalization you can significantly alter the sound of the stereo audio track thus highlighting the sound of individual instruments. There are also third party tools that mask the original instrument sound, or sounds, and replace the original sound with a sampled drum sound. Do an internet search using the term "drum replacement VST or app".
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#456566 - 02/09/18 01:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: Jim Fogle]
BIABDEX Offline

Thanks for your reply.
"If you are using MIDI drums then you can adjust the velocity level for each instrument part like snare, kick, high-hat and so on. There is also some MIDI tools that can automate changing velocity."
Where is it?
Do your mean "edith the current style" where I have to change all the velocity numbers? With each Pattern?
This would be incredibly uncomfortable.

#456576 - 02/09/18 02:58 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: BIABDEX]
Teunis Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
It should be possible to export the drum track out to a midi file and adjust the individual parts "hi hat", "snare", "kick drum" etc. pull the midi into a daw in the midi file each part appears as a note on its own line. Kick drum note C, snare maybe D and so on. In Sonar for example it is very easy to adjust the overall velocity of a part or the entire kit (or indeed volume if preferred). It is also very easy to randomise velocities within a range. I imagine most daws would have similar features.

Just a thought

Tony
Maton CW80, Telecaster and others

#456582 - 02/09/18 03:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: BIABDEX]
Jazzman Offline
Expert

Loc: UK
Hello BIABDEX

If you go to - Preferences > Drum kit > check Set Drum Volumes > Set Drum Kit Volumes - you can do what you are looking for in Midi Drums

Just experiment with this option

jazzman

Edited by Jazzman (02/09/18 05:30 AM)

#456758 - 02/10/18 06:58 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: Jazzman]
mrgeeze Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: hatteras island, nc
First and foremost, I am a 100% consumer of Real Drums.
I don't do any midi drums at all inside biab.

But, It would be a great thing to get more control over real drums.

As mentiones, a volume mixer would be a great for all the items in the current kit

Perhaps also A simple/complex slidebar (or wahtever UI object) to change the complexity of the groove being played.

For example, the drummers capability in Apple's Logic Pro X are quite compelling.
It would be fantastic to have some of those capabilities in BIAB.

Just saying, perhaps we could spin up a wish list item for the Real Drums
nvidia quadro fx580
audioengine usb audio out

#456802 - 02/10/18 10:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: mrgeeze]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Perform a search and you'll find multi-track RealDrums has been requested multiple times in the Wishlist forum.

Since RealDrums are stereo audio files I can't think of any way other than heavy use of frequency limited equalization bands to highlight or suppress specific instruments within a drum set. There are programs that perform just that function but they are pretty expensive ($99 to $150 US). These programs typically take the next step and replace the individual instrument sounds with triggered samples so the music producer can have the exact sound desired. +++ HERE +++ is a Sound-On-Sound article that explains the process very well.

In general I believe adding frequency band equalization would add an expensive feature to Band-in-a-Box that I'm not willing to pay the cost for.

Some people desiring to have more control over the drum sounds heard in their music abandon RealDrums and resort to the use of drum loops by +++ Drum Drops +++, +++ Drums On Demand +++ and +++ Beta Monkey +++ or use a virtual drummer like +++ RealiDrums +++, +++ EZ Drummer +++ and +++ Steven Slate +++

#456824 - 02/10/18 12:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: Jazzman]
John-Luke Offline
Expert

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Jazzman
Hello BIABDEX

If you go to - Preferences > Drum kit > check Set Drum Volumes > Set Drum Kit Volumes - you can do what you are looking for in Midi Drums

Just note that this feature which works fine for MIDI Drums is a global setting and not a song dependent setting.

It would make much sense to have a song dependent setting.

#456867 - 02/10/18 04:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: Jim Fogle]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Another option would be in a DAW to copy the drum track a few times then EQ each track to bring out one of the drums while suppressing the others. You can use any EQ program to do this, including the one that comes with your DAW. This includes RB.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#456868 - 02/10/18 04:40 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: MarioD]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Ah Mario, I was saving that suggestion until the very last. No need to share all the secrets Recording Revolution has to offer! smile

#456881 - 02/10/18 06:42 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: Jim Fogle]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Ah Mario, I was saving that suggestion until the very last. No need to share all the secrets Recording Revolution has to offer! smile

OK Jim, I'll say nothing about using reverb in a bus. I'll leave that for you wink

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#456918 - 02/11/18 04:11 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: John-Luke]
Jazzman Offline
Expert

Loc: UK
Hi John-Luke

Agree - it would make so much more sense if it were song dependant as right now you set it up for one style and get a different result with another

jazzman

#456930 - 02/11/18 05:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: BIABDEX]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
It's one of the reasons why I use MIDI drums almost exclusively.

I export to a sequencer/DAW and have complete control of every drum instrument.

I can highlight or choose any drum note in the change filter and make it louder or softer by an arbitrary number or a percentage.

Plus, with a simple drag and drop I can even turn the cymbal into a cowbell, a snare into a side-stick, a shaker into a hi-hat or whatever a want.

I can move certain beats or sub-beats to change the groove, turn a gentle swing into a hard swing, rush or drag the weak beats, and nudge certain drum instruments a couple of tics ahead of the others. I find pushing the hi-hat a couple of ticks ahead will make it come out of the mix a little better without turning it up. There are dozens more tricks I've discovered or read about.

I can even change drum kits to one more appropriate for the song I'm working on.

MIDI is thousands of times more editable than Audio and with a good sound module the MIDI parts can sound 90% or more as good as the real instrument, so close that 99.99% of your audience can't tell the difference. So with the editing capabilities, you can end up with better, more expressive music with MIDI.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Of course, there is more than one right way to make music, and my way might not be the best way for you.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#456941 - 02/11/18 06:58 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: Notes Norton]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

I'm with Notes. MIDI is the perfect choice for drums as drums are one instrument that MIDI emulates perfectly. Plus the sound source does not have to be expensive. Even some of the free drum kits available sound great.

#456957 - 02/11/18 08:17 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: drumset mixer? [Re: BIABDEX]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
If it’s RealDrums, and the premade drum mix bothered me enough, I would work on individual sounds using an EQ plugin set to a very narrow Q. Something really offensive like a loud cymbal, say.

And there’s always Melodyne Editor if this needs to be taken to a possibly insane level.

If you have found a RealDrum that you think is actually wrong, with a clearly wrong mix on the kit, you can report it to PG Music. If they agree, they can remix it and issue a patch. This has occurred a couple of time in testing. Although it was rare that several of us would agree on the need for change, when we did, they adjusted it. I don’t think this has happened since the early days of RealDrums, but it’s possible.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

PG Music News
Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

Forum Stats
27132 Members
49 Forums
50322 Topics
413018 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
spif, darthdoomz, Literary Mayhem, Jknadler61, Stephanus L

27132 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 250