Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#459318 - 02/26/18 12:58 PM [User Showcase] The Good-Morrow
molsenhouse Offline
Apprentice

How to put music to a poem from the early 17th century?
– well, with a little help from BiaB…

John Donne wrote a beautiful poem called The Good-Morrow.
Don't know how the copyright act works overseas – in Norway lyrics are free after 70 years. Please, tell me if I do anything wrong.

Not a traditional song, but it sounds familiar…
Already thinking of new vocal ideas – guess I have to try them out in a couple of weeks or months ;-)

Here is what it sounds like today:

THE GOOD-MORROW

BiaB tracks used:

Style is _SPECTER.STY

RealTracks in style: ~733:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 060 (A:in-2)
RealTracks in style: 936:Piano, Acoustic, Rehearsal Waltz Sw 140
RealTracks in style: ~993:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryWaltzGrittyPicked Sw 140
RealTracks in style: 2558:Cello, Background SlowSwing Sw 065
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: BluesMondaySw8^02-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

And the poem:

The Good-Morrow
BY JOHN DONNE

I wonder, by my troth, what thou and I
Did, till we loved? Were we not weaned till then?
But sucked on country pleasures, childishly?
Or snorted we in the Seven Sleepers’ den?
’Twas so; but this, all pleasures fancies be.
If ever any beauty I did see,
Which I desired, and got, ’twas but a dream of thee.

And now good-morrow to our waking souls,
Which watch not one another out of fear;
For love, all love of other sights controls,
And makes one little room an everywhere.
Let sea-discoverers to new worlds have gone,
Let maps to other, worlds on worlds have shown,
Let us possess one world, each hath one, and is one.

My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
And true plain hearts do in the faces rest;
Where can we find two better hemispheres,
Without sharp north, without declining west?
Whatever dies, was not mixed equally;
If our two loves be one, or, thou and I
Love so alike, that none do slacken, none can die.

#459334 - 02/26/18 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
John this is top shelf all the way. Your instrumentation is perfect for this poem as is your chord progression. Your vocal is absolutely fantastic and I love the effects you on it.

This is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#459355 - 02/26/18 04:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Einar,

I always enjoy hearing your music. Always intriguing, inventive, interesting.

Excellent group of instruments for this. Your guitar work here is super.

Nice job of putting music to a Donne poem! Very much enjoyed this.

Excellent!

floyd

#459358 - 02/26/18 04:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hei Einar !

Helt fantastisk sång !
Gratulerar ! Den är det
bästa jag än så länge
hört från dig - kan bara
säga WOW !

mvh
Dani
1/2 norrman

#459367 - 02/26/18 05:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
kybordr Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
Einar: I love this, nicely done. What a cool idea. (And being me, I have to ask "Oh my gosh, what has John Donne?")

#459384 - 02/26/18 06:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Nice progressive rock sound - nicely performed and sung with some nice guitar passages.

Peter

#459394 - 02/26/18 09:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand

What a lovely poem Einar and a fantastic interpretation that brings it very much to life and into the present.
Love the snorting in the seven sleepers den.
Much impressed.

Cheers.

#459420 - 02/27/18 05:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
Tano Music Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Songwriting partnership over the ages! Yes, I think this is a great idea, and nicely executed...you chose style/approach/instrumentation that fit so naturally..thank you for putting your creativity into this...especially liked the line that you spoke/sung concurrently...maybe Donne didn’t have any skilled musician buddies to work with??

#459422 - 02/27/18 05:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Wow! This is an outstanding example of what a creative artist, a great vocal/instrumental performances and BiaB can accomplish.

This is a remarkable production and we are enjoying the listen(s)!

J&B
J&B Website

#459445 - 02/27/18 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
Deryk - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Wow, this is incredible smile What a unique and abstract idea - and you managed to pull it off brilliantly! The whole tune just flows so nicely, from the lyricism to the progressions and arrangement. The entire song just works so perfectly. It showcases some serious creativity and a good grasp on songwriting.

You outdid yourself here - thanks so much for sharing smile

#459466 - 02/27/18 10:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: MarioD]
molsenhouse Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: MarioD
John this is top shelf all the way. Your instrumentation is perfect for this poem as is your chord progression. Your vocal is absolutely fantastic and I love the effects you on it.

This is a keeper.

Thanks Mario,

John is definitely top shelf!!!
Couldn't stop thinking of what Hendrix did to Hey Joe!
So I tried to extend his brilliant idea in 12/8 for the chorus, and ended up with Hey Good-Morrow ;-)

#459467 - 02/27/18 11:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: floyd jane]
molsenhouse Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Einar,

I always enjoy hearing your music. Always intriguing, inventive, interesting.

Excellent group of instruments for this. Your guitar work here is super.

Nice job of putting music to a Donne poem! Very much enjoyed this.

Excellent!

floyd

Floyd,

Thanks for your nice compliments. The words in the poem came very much alive to me during this process – someone once told me that a soaring cello is the the most beautiful instrument in the world – and in BiaB I found a RT-cello that sounded great – not too much, but enough to bring a different dimension to the arrangement.

Thanks for listening!

#459468 - 02/27/18 11:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: dani48]
molsenhouse Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hei Einar !

Helt fantastisk sång !
Gratulerar ! Den är det
bästa jag än så länge
hört från dig - kan bara
säga WOW !

mvh
Dani
1/2 norrman

Hey Dani,

Takk for hyggelig tilbakemelding. Det varmer godt når det er full vinterstorm her mellom fjellene.
Einar
1/32 finsk ;-)

#459483 - 02/27/18 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Hello,
you made a great work; good production and result obtained.

Nice one.

Sergio

Sergio

#459496 - 02/27/18 02:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Originally Posted By: molsenhouse
Please, tell me if I do anything wrong.

Nothing wrong to my ears! laugh

You did a fantastic job making some very dense prose enjoyable. I'm super impressed by all the aspects of the song - it was a very fun listen. The doubling at "And now good-morrow" was especially cool.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#459617 - 02/28/18 11:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Very cool, creative interpretation of those amazingly sensual and metaphysical lines!
Excellent arrangement and production skills are on show here in addition to your fine vocal.
Well done!

Robert

#460085 - 03/02/18 10:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
animarorecords Offline
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Einar

Very inventive work!
And the melody is wonderful.
As floyd said, excellent group of instruments for this. Your guitar work here is super.
And your vocal is very powerful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#460676 - 03/05/18 01:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: kybordr]
molsenhouse Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: kybordr
Einar: I love this, nicely done. What a cool idea. (And being me, I have to ask "Oh my gosh, what has John Donne?")

Hahaha – LOL laugh
John did-pretty-well Donne!

Thanks for listening!

Edited by molsenhouse (03/05/18 01:17 PM)

#460678 - 03/05/18 01:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: PeterF]
molsenhouse Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Nice progressive rock sound - nicely performed and sung with some nice guitar passages.

Peter

Thanks a lot, Peter!

#460682 - 03/05/18 01:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Good-Morrow [Re: molsenhouse]
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Very well executed. thanks for listing. Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

Forum Stats
27997 Members
57 Forums
54109 Topics
446403 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
gianni2007, SP3, Kevyn285, nitz, smokinhalfnote

27996 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 499
David Snyder 183