Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#459621 - 02/28/18 11:15 AM [User Showcase] Blue Medicine
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Blue Medicine

A first attempt at mixing a song in Reaper, with just 4 tracks; comments and suggestions welcome.
Style is _LONEBOY.STY (Lone Boy Acoustic Guitar Ballad)

RealTracks in style: ~2483:Bass, Acoustic, Bowed HeldSimple Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2914:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent Ev16 085

#459648 - 02/28/18 01:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
This sounds great to me! I loved that cello lead. Everything are mixed perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

Two thumbs up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#459664 - 02/28/18 03:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert

Nice mix - everything sounds very nice. Interesting (and challenging) lyrics. I also like the cello.
Good work.
Peter

#459667 - 02/28/18 03:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
LPman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Montréal Quebec Canada
Hi Robertkc

I like how calming this music is. Good vocals. Nice production. Enjoyed this very much.

#459688 - 02/28/18 06:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome song Robert. Loved the acoustic. Super vocal. Cello was a nice touch. As always very cool lyric.. I find Reaper a little more forgiving than Realband. Pretty sure you are going to love it. So excellent video series and tutorials

#459694 - 02/28/18 07:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: PeterF]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: MarioD
This sounds great to me! I loved that cello lead. Everything are mixed perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

Two thumbs up.

Thanks for the feedback, Mario.It took three times longer to mix than it would have in RealBand, but after dithering for a year, its time to learn new tricks.

Robert

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert

Nice mix - everything sounds very nice. Interesting (and challenging) lyrics. I also like the cello.
Good work.
Peter

Peter,
I appreciate your comments. This was a quick write that I like parts of and has some lines I`ll probably go back to... and the cello smooths just about anything out!

Robert

#459763 - 03/01/18 06:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert,

A nice dream-like lyric (and melody). The guitar/cello/vocal treatment is perfect for it.

There is something about the vocal - can't put a finger on exactly what - that sounds "squished" (for lack of a better word). Could be a bit too much compression? Or some mic proximity effect. Sort of a tiny bit of overdrive sound. It's very slight and maybe not something that others are hearing?

fj

#459775 - 03/01/18 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Sounds good, Robert, you have your own style! I always enjoy your lyrics.

Nice mix, love it when the cello comes in! I'm using reaper here too, switched from Audition a couple of years back. Took a while to get the hang of it, but I love it now.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#459792 - 03/01/18 08:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

This is a really nice tune, Robert smile The combination of those melodies and your vocal delivery and lyrics really gives this tune an interesting vibe. It almost has a dream-like quality to it. The abstraction and steam-of-consciousness style to it really draws me in personally. It bares a certain resemblance to Radiohead or Bjork. Maybe not sonically speaking, but in terms of execution.

You should be proud of this - thanks so much for sharing smile

#459802 - 03/01/18 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

A nice dream-like lyric (and melody). The guitar/cello/vocal treatment is perfect for it.

There is something about the vocal - can't put a finger on exactly what - that sounds "squished" (for lack of a better word). Could be a bit too much compression? Or some mic proximity effect. Sort of a tiny bit of overdrive sound. It's very slight and maybe not something that others are hearing?

fj

Floyd,
Thanks for taking the time to listen closely and comment.
Because I`m undisciplined about proxmity to the mic, I`m usually trying to fix with gain/volume- here I used the Waves vocal rider which seemed to work well.
There`s about half the reverb I usually use on my Nectar2 Simple Country preset, but on choruses there are 2 doubled tracks panned l/r.
Mastered for mid range boost in Ozone.
Hope that helps.

Robert

#459807 - 03/01/18 10:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This was a really nice use of the Lone Boy style. I felt the lyrics really paired well with the overall sound of this song. It was all very well paced. You did a really good job.

Thanks for sharing.

#459827 - 03/01/18 01:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Robert, Really pretty song. Plus one to what's been said already.

Enjoyed very much.
My Videos

#459889 - 03/01/18 07:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Sundance]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Robert, Really pretty song. Plus one to what's been said already.

Enjoyed very much.

Good to see you back on here, Josie,thanks for commenting.
I caught your meaning about the doubled track being superfluous - took it out and the vocal sounds cleaner to me.
Will have a listen to your new song.

Robert

#459930 - 03/02/18 04:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert, I like the way the abstract poetic lyrics fit the music. It is a dreamlike feel and cinematic. Interesting chord choices help make this a great listen, Tom

#459995 - 03/02/18 10:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: BlueAttitude]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: LPman
Hi Robertkc

I like how calming this music is. Good vocals. Nice production. Enjoyed this very much.

Hello and thank you for your listen and comments.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Awesome song Robert. Loved the acoustic. Super vocal. Cello was a nice touch. As always very cool lyric.. I find Reaper a little more forgiving than Realband. Pretty sure you are going to love it. So excellent video series and tutorials

Scott,
Thank you!
The slow acoustic guitar track is one reason I wrote this song.
So far everything I manage to do in Reaper makes me wish I`d started the learning curve a year or so back...and that there was a Lite version for rookies as the capabilities are so far beyond my needs.

Robert
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds good, Robert, you have your own style! I always enjoy your lyrics.

Nice mix, love it when the cello comes in! I'm using reaper here too, switched from Audition a couple of years back. Took a while to get the hang of it, but I love it now.

Dave,
I appreciate your kind comments and especially that thumbs up on the mix. The big plus on Reaper from the get go is finding all the VST effects right there; I love RealBand for its link to the RealTracks, but oh my, this is a learning headache that may get results.

Robert

#460000 - 03/02/18 11:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

good job. I really like the choice of RT's.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#460098 - 03/02/18 11:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
animarorecords Offline
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Robert

Your originality was demonstrated very well in this song.
Unexpected chords that sometimes come out and change of rhythm.
Calm and beautiful melody.
All of them are the characteristics of your songs.
Your vocals fit very well with them and they are very comfortable.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#460238 - 03/03/18 02:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Robert,

Great work once again and that signature vocal is beautiful as always, but really shines here.
We also love the cello.

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#460254 - 03/03/18 03:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: tommyad]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
This is a really nice tune, Robert smile The combination of those melodies and your vocal delivery and lyrics really gives this tune an interesting vibe. It almost has a dream-like quality to it. The abstraction and steam-of-consciousness style to it really draws me in personally. It bares a certain resemblance to Radiohead or Bjork. Maybe not sonically speaking, but in terms of execution.

You should be proud of this - thanks so much for sharing smile

Thank you Deryk!
I appreciate the dream-like comment - the song came from a hazy memory, so it fits.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This was a really nice use of the Lone Boy style. I felt the lyrics really paired well with the overall sound of this song. It was all very well paced. You did a really good job.

Thanks for sharing.

Ember,
This is one of those Real Styles not to be tampered with.I`m glad you liked the song!

Robert
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Robert, I like the way the abstract poetic lyrics fit the music. It is a dreamlike feel and cinematic. Interesting chord choices help make this a great listen, Tom

Tom,
Thank you for your listen and kind comments.

Robert

#460296 - 03/04/18 01:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Very nice to hear your use of the _LONEBOY style now that I'm putting out my song based on it smile I really like the wholeness here, the vocals, poetic lyrics and sparse arrangement all blending together to form a nice folk song, a man and his guitar in a romantic landscape.

Janne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

User Feedback - Run as Administrator

Our Forum is a great resource for all your Band-in-a-Box questions (and a GREAT place to connect with other program users!)

Among the many forums available, we have a User-to-User Tips & Tricks forum - perfect for sharing your own technical tips and tricks for any PG Music product!

Like the recent post by jford: You Should Run BIAB and RealBand As Administrator!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - Over 25 Entries!

We recently launched an Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest with 4 prizes of $150!

So far, there are more than 25 entries! Have a listen to these entries and submit your own song here.

Contest Rules:
-You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
-The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
-Public domain songs will be accepted.
-Multiple entries are permitted.
-Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline. (This contest runs until September 30th)

For complete information on this contest, click here.

Forum Stats
27976 Members
57 Forums
53964 Topics
445703 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ivica Pencic, fuhawa95, Clayton A Baca, mervo, Barrywl

27976 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 456
David Snyder 152