You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#457307 - 02/13/18 07:11 AM [RealBand Wishlist] BIAB (Blue) Tracks
jford Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
This may have been requested before, but I didn't go back into the time machine and it can't hurt to re-iterate it.

When reading in a BIAB file into RealBand, if you use a style with RealTracks, you end up with empty MIDI tracks (which are presumably the underlying MIDI tracks upon which the RealTracks were overlaid). I don't know why we need these and it wastes several tracks. you can only get rid of them if you convert to "regular tracks". Why can't the engine just overlay the RealTracks onto the underlying MIDI tracks rather than creating a blank track and a RealTrack audio track? That way, you would consistently end up with at most eight tracks from BIAB (bass, piano, drums, guitar, strings, melody, soloist, and audio), as opposed to 12 or 13, with several completely blank tracks.

I think a lot of users would appreciate this. It seems to me it could even happen under the hood if there were some sort of technical reason for how it is now (for example, use track 48 as a "work" track, create track 1(the legacy bass track), generate the RealTrack on track 48, delete anything on track 1 and change from MIDI track to mono or stereo audio track (depending upon the RealTrack), copy track 48 to track 1, then delete track 48. The user will now just see track 1 as an audio bass track, as opposed to track 1 as an empty MIDI track and track 9 as the audio RealTrack. This seems pretty easy programmatically to me, but what do I know?

Just a thought.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#457457 - 02/13/18 07:05 PM [RealBand Wishlist] Re: BIAB (Blue) Tracks [Re: jford]
Jim Fogle Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA

What about people that use the MIDI data to drive a soft synth?
Jim Fogle
2018 BiaB (513) UltraPlusPak RB 2018 (Build 5)
Sonar Home Studio - Cakewalk Music Creator 6 - Audacity
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at:

#457543 - 02/14/18 09:55 AM [RealBand Wishlist] Re: BIAB (Blue) Tracks [Re: jford]
jford Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
If you are talking about the RealCharts that represent the RealTracks, those will show up as their own separate tracks, not the underlying MIDI track. I'm only talking about when a RealTrack overlays the underlying MIDI style track (which is not the MIDI notes for the RealTrack). If the track is MIDI to start with, then it stays MIDI and you can assign any softsynth you want to.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#457569 - 02/14/18 01:01 PM [RealBand Wishlist] Re: BIAB (Blue) Tracks [Re: jford]
VideoTrack Online   content

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
This seems pretty easy programmatically to me, but what do I know?

Firstly: You probably know more than you're giving yourself credit for, John.

Secondly: Yes, good idea and very useful.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#459687 - 02/28/18 06:09 PM [RealBand Wishlist] Re: BIAB (Blue) Tracks [Re: jford]
Kent - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi John,

You make a good point, I'll make sure it gets passed along.

By the way, you don't have to convert them to regular tracks, holding down Shift and highlighting them, then hitting Edit - Track - Remove Tracks does the trick.

PG Music

Edited by Kent - PG Music (02/28/18 06:13 PM)

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Cleaned-up BB folder!

It's the first day of spring today, which means it's time to start spring cleaning!

We cleaned up the BB folder with our release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018. Over the years, this folder has been growing - there were up to 10,000 files in there! We've fixed this and put the files into various folders. This is done with a cleanup routine. The cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually by selecting the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine.

The cleanup routine does the following:
-Moves Styles files (.STY/.STX) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Styles.
-Moves Soloists files (.ST2/.XT2) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Soloists.
-Moves various Demo folders to C:\Demos.
-Moves various songs and lessons folders to C:\bb\Songs and Lessons.
-Moves various files essential for running Band-in-a-Box to C:\bb\Data and C:\bb\Data\Lib.
-Moves various preferences files to C:\bb\Preferences.
-Moves tutorial demo songs, program manuals (.pdf), and the help file (.chm) to C:\bb\Documentation.

Oliver Gannon Interview - Appointed to the Order of Canada!

Oliver Gannon (Peter Gannon's brother), was appointed to the Order of Canada in recognition for "his achievements as a musician" on December 29, 2017!

Oliver recently sat for an interview with CBC's Hot Air host Margaret Gallagher - read a summary and listen to the interview at

'I don't know ... why they chose me. But I'm very glad and I'm not giving it back'
-Oliver Gannon

To be clear, and avoid any confusion, there are two brothers: Peter Gannon is the "Band-in-a-Box" PG Music guy, and Oliver Gannon is the jazz guitarist who just won the Order of Canada.

#Monday Motivation - Free Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Want to snag yourself a free Band-in-a-Box® hard drive? Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at

User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

#TBT - Automatic Soloing in Band-in-a-Box® 7!

Band-in-a-Box® 7 included some great new features - like Automatic Soloing! This introduced program users to the powerful Soloist capabilities of Band-in-a-Box®, which also includes the Soloist Maker.

Automatic Soloing!
Pick any song or chords in any style, and choose a "soloist." Band-in-a-Box® then creates and plays a professional quality solo in the style of your choice. Previous versions of Band-in-a-Box created great accompaniment. Now you can hear sensational solos as well - showing you exactly what notes are played. Choose from "soloists" in the style similar to great Jazz musicians such as Django Reinhardt, John Coltrane, or Country/Pop soloists and others, or create your own soloists using the "Soloist Maker."

Soloist Maker
This module allows you to define your own soloists. For example, let's say you want to create a soloist in a style similar to the style of "John Coltrane" - the great Jazz saxophonist. The Soloist Maker allows you to define the parameters essential to Coltrane's playing, such as instrument range (i.e. tenor saxophone), extra legato playing, playing more on top of the beat than typical Jazz musicians, and playing straighter 8th notes than usual Swing 8th notes. Also, you can set phrasing options, such as how long the phrase should be and how much "space" to leave between phrases. You can also set how "outside" the playing should be. In the case of a John Coltrane style - you set that to the maximum! Then "turn him loose" and hear the soloist play over any song!

Review all of the features added with Band-in-a-Box® 7:

#TechTipTuesday - Opening MIDI Tracks in PowerTracks Pro Audio

Open your MIDI file in PowerTracks Pro Audio (or RealBand), and you'll see the instruments separated onto their own track - an excellent way to hear all the instruments individually for that song, and a great way to learn!

There's no trick to it either - just use the File | Open dialog, locate the MIDI file, and click [Open].

Note: Type 0 MIDI files have all channels on one track, and should ask whether you want to separate them. If you accidentally chooses no, hit Edit - MIDI - Extract Channels to Tracks. Typically, Type 1 MIDI files have the instruments automatically separated.

Forum Stats
27252 Members
49 Forums
50716 Topics
417393 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
atc, Dangelico, macsam, MarkSnyder, Keith Bieber

27251 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 176
Matt Finley 173