You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#461163 - 03/08/18 11:20 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] strange windows 10 crashes - not BIAB related
fiddler2007 Offline
Journeyman

For a while my PC hangs & freezes all of a sudden, about once every 2 days.

It seems most of the times when closing a hard disk folder or program by clicking the (red) X right upper corner. The lot crashes shown a frozen blue circle, appearing on a mouse click there, and nothing goes then, no reaction from mouse, keyboard, or pressing ALT-DEL-CNRTL. Needs a hardware cold-boot. Maybe i can change some settings in the (latest) BIOS of my ASUS x99 mainboard?

The BIOS is capable of a lot of tweaks for gaming, but i left all standard, only turned onboard audio and WIFI are switched off, (latter releases an extra PCIe slot that way).

Cold booting doesn't show any errors after boot-up, PC runs smoothly after a fresh boot, and nothing i can find in windows log files. Not really USB drive related but with SATA, could be SSD related maybe. 2 Samsung SSD 850 pro's, the most reliable they say. Over provisioning active, and latest firmware installed.

So far done: Windows cleanup, SFC /scannow (100% OK), reinstalled graphics (AMD Radeon) thoroughly by removing drivers & cleanup thereof. Reinstalled all needed VC basics, done memory hard ware test, Checkdisk on the used drives, Antivirus and spyware testing, CCleaner registry check. Reinstalled audio too, but i think it has to do with Windows (64bit) itself.

The only real change i made is giving up totally on Office 2016/365, bought it, but had constant (license) problems with it, and use Soffice now instead; doubt if that's the reason.

A while before these crashes started i updated my Mainboards' BIOS, checked Chipset drivers, but the PC ran smoothly for at least 2 months.

Any idea's from experts on windows 10 welcome! thnx, F

#461178 - 03/08/18 01:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: strange windows 10 crashes - not BIAB related [Re: fiddler2007]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Your efforts seem very thorough.

Have you tried Blue Screen View to see what kind of message you can get? https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Have you tried a utility like Speccy that will show you the temperature of all components?
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#461192 - 03/08/18 02:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: strange windows 10 crashes - not BIAB related [Re: fiddler2007]
fiddler2007 Offline
Journeyman

Nope, but thanks for the tip. As these crashes are relatively rare, it will take some time to report back ... F

#461201 - 03/08/18 03:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: strange windows 10 crashes - not BIAB related [Re: fiddler2007]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Blue Screen View will, I think, read the last crash file that's already there before it was installed. Try it anyway.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#461263 - 03/08/18 11:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: strange windows 10 crashes - not BIAB related [Re: Matt Finley]
fiddler2007 Offline
Journeyman

Done: alas my Windows/MiniDump folder was empty .... nothing to see. But i read somewhere that these crashes are since a windows 10 update, and MS*ck (sorry, couldn't resist) blames AMD (my RADEON R7 360 graphics card) not being able to cope with their unanounced 'update'. Q: Why? i keep windows update switched off in services, so it shouldn't be the cause. Just found a 3 days old AMD driver update, will try it out now- F

ADDED Info: the latest AMD updated drivers from early march seem to be my PC's salvation. Read somewhere that the same kind of crashes can happen with NVDIA hardware; moral, get the latest graphics drivers (and choose basic, don't use them games tweaking options). BUT ALAS: the occasional dropout stuttering of Windows 10 is back, see here: BIAB thread on audio problems in Windows 10 .

PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

YouTube Find - Love it (with Band-in-a-Box 2018)

YouTube channel EmtpyHallToones uploaded a video of their guitar performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!

Click here to watch.

Get to Know the 202 NEW RealTracks Released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

We released 202 NEW RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2018! Learn more about these new RealTracks when you watch our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - 202 NEW RealTracks.

These new RealTracks (in Sets 278-300) are included in every Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - the Mac packages are on sale until June 30th!

Learn even more about the new RealTracks and listen to demos here.

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video for Mac

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, we've introduced Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks. This video shows you the different ways you can use these versatile new RealTracks.

Video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=zkO-AtAPv4g

You can also listen to demos of RealTracks Set 278: Shiny Vocal Oohs & Aahs here.

This RealTracks Set is available for just $29, and is also included in RealPAK 14: Country, and the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, Audiophile, or 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade.

Forum Stats
27616 Members
50 Forums
52225 Topics
432313 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
donbaxter, Jose-Luis-NZ, Cipher, BillyP, fleahead

27616 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 195
Noel96 170